Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

considering a 430

Hi,just need to know a few things as I am considering a 430 or gallardo to replace my 997tt.

IS there anything I need to be wary of on a used 430 ?
    What are service intervals and costs ?
    Any must have options ?

thanks for any help.

Re: considering a 430

Service intervals are 6250 miles or annually. Not sure about the UK, but over here it's around 350 pounds for an annual oil change.

In the Uk it is better to buy a F1 rather than a manual stick, apart from resale, F1 feels better than manual to me.

Not an F430 owner, but know several ppl here in D.C. who do have one version or another.

Caution points:

- Make sure the car has its servicing at specified intervals like religion! According to the dealer here in Virgina, believe it or not a lot of people who used to own these cars typically are (1) too busy and don't realize the amount of care it takes to own this machine, (2) Have so much money they treat them like Honda Accords. Expendable items.

- Make sure the engine hasn't been overevved if a manual.

- Make sure the car has not performed too many Launch Control starts (some American dealers are re-enabling this feature for customers since it's not "offically" available in the US)

- Clutch - clutch - clutch. The F430 chews em up if even slightly abused.

- Service will be every 5-7K depending on how driven, or at least once per year.

- Oil change is about $500-600 US dollars. I nearly [beep] a brick when my co-worker showed me his invoice.

- General service (brakes, filter, tune-up, etc, etc.) will run you $4000-$5000 dollars.

- New tires and mounting all around by specialized nick free equipment, $2000.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    - General service (brakes, filter, tune-up, etc, etc.) will run you $4000-$5000 dollars.

You raised another point, if the car has CCB's the brakes are going to be a LOT more expensive to replace

There is considerable false information regarding the supposedly high cost maintenance for Ferrari's. Though I reaily admit the past models were expensive to maintain, the new 360 and better yet the 430 are no more expensive than most high perf sport cars.

There is a 5000 mile or year maintenance which requires a change of oil and many of the fluids. The cost is about $1100.

The second maintenance is the three year or 15,000 mile. It is a little more extensive and usually cost around $4000.

The next maintenance period is the 30,000 mile. I am not sure what is involved but I am told the cost is around $4000.

The F1 clutch will last about 25,000 miles for intense city driving and over 30,000 miles for a combination of city and highway driving. My 430 has over 10,000 miles and has about 22% clutch wear.

BTW a F1 clutch replacement is around $4000.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    There is considerable false information regarding the supposedly high cost maintenance for Ferrari's. Though I reaily admit the past models were expensive to maintain, the new 360 and better yet the 430 are no more expensive than most high perf sport cars.

There is a 5000 mile or year maintenance which requires a change of oil and many of the fluids. The cost is about $1100.

The second maintenance is the three year or 15,000 mile. It is a little more extensive and usually cost around $4000.

The next maintenance period is the 30,000 mile. I am not sure what is involved but I am told the cost is around $4000.

The F1 clutch will last about 25,000 miles for intense city driving and over 30,000 miles for a combination of city and highway driving. My 430 has over 10,000 miles and has about 22% clutch wear.

Disagree. Ferrari's are some of the most expensive cars to service because nearly everything needs to go through the dealer or to the dealer for the part/fluid/tool.

Everything is specialized.

Case in point (and this would be a bargin to Ferrari owners), I foolishly blew some bonus money 4 years ago on a used 996 TT.

My oil change and fluid change was $589.89 ... it was seared into my memory because I nearly strangled the guy when he smiled in my face with a bill in hand.

Coming out of an M3 where I would this would be a like a $250 (at most) visit.

So I can imagine I'd probably ask for a shotgun if someone handed me a $1100 bill for a fluid and oil change!

996TT's first scheduled service was about $1300 which was about what I expected.

So a $4K visit for the same items (filters, fluid check, etc.).

I had my annual service in March and it was only $800

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Disagree. Ferrari's are some of the most expensive cars to service because nearly everything needs to go through the dealer or to the dealer for the part/fluid/tool.

Everything is specialized.

Case in point (and this would be a bargin to Ferrari owners), I foolishly blew some bonus money 4 years ago on a used 996 TT.

My oil change and fluid change was $589.89 ... it was seared into my memory because I nearly strangled the guy when he smiled in my face with a bill in hand.

Coming out of an M3 where I would this would be a like a $250 (at most) visit.

So I can imagine I'd probably ask for a shotgun if someone handed me a $1100 bill for a fluid and oil change!

996TT's first scheduled service was about $1300 which was about what I expected.

So a $4K visit for the same items (filters, fluid check, etc.).

mate , your first comment was you don't own a 430 , yet you disagree with someone who has one .

you're on drugs

nick is right

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    I had my annual service in March and it was only $800

Same here, also March, also annual service, 600 Euro.

Don't know what this other guy is talking about.

Quote:
    scud said:.

your first comment was you don't own a 430 , yet you disagree with someone who has one.

This is what I noticed also.

What is the matter, he just mentioned some numbers that don't seem to be that far off Nberry's. That has to tell you something.

It really appears to be a great car if you can sell it within one year of ownership, at least in the US you will hardly burn any money. Might be different if you drive the car for several consecutive years though...

Simply put, if you have to be concerned about the maintenance cost of a Ferrari then you most likely shouldn't be getting one. That's like someone worrying about the fuel cost of a Rolls Royce. If you have to worry, you shouldn't be buying one.

Quote:
    joo22us said:
    Simply put, if you have to be concerned about the maintenance cost of a Ferrari then you most likely shouldn't be getting one. That's like someone worrying about the fuel cost of a Rolls Royce. If you have to worry, you shouldn't be buying one.

For the record, a Rolls-Royce's fuel consumption is light compared to an Arnage. With the Arnage you literally watch the needle go down!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    joo22us said:

For the record, a Rolls-Royce's fuel consumption is light compared to an Arnage. With the Arnage you literally watch the needle go down!

Is the Bentley really that bad?

I always thought Arnage and Phantom are about the same in that respect...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    joo22us said:

They both have the same sized tanks and I get around about 100-150 km more per tank in the Phantom than in the Arnage. In 90 litres I used toget around 300km per tank in the Arnage T.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    joo22us said:

They both have the same sized tanks and I get around about 100-150 km more per tank in the Phantom than in the Arnage. In 90 litres I used toget around 300km per tank in the Arnage T.

Very interesting, thanks!

Quote:
    mate , your first comment was you don't own a 430 , yet you disagree with someone who has one .

you're on drugs

nick is right

"Mate" before getting so flippant with the quips and accusations, understand that you responded HALF WAY into a thread without understanding my background or why I'm justified and qualified in speaking on the matter. Please go back to the beginning and re-read my comments in its entirety.

Yes, although I don't own a 430, I said I know several 430 owners, moreover, play the occasional round of charity golf with a few of the guys who work at the F dealership in Virginia.

What, do you think they don't talk about their cars from EVERY aspect including service/maintenance cost?

Please ... they want me to buy one and become a F family member, always trying to talk me out of of the P-car, but that's probably one of the only things that keeps me from making the plunge at this point in my life - the maintenance cost.

I can purchase a 430, but it would be a bit of stretch to "own" one and I couldn't justify the cost of usuage vs. the amount of time I'd actually get to use it.

Maybe in another 5 years when the business is fully flushed and stable I'll join the ranks.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:

you're on drugs

nick is right

"Mate" before getting so flippant with the quips and accusations, understand that you responded HALF WAY into a thread without understanding my background or why I'm justified and qualified in speaking on the matter. Please go back to the beginning and re-read my comments in its entirety.

Yes, although I don't own a 430, I said I know several 430 owners, moreover, play the occasional round of charity golf with a few of the guys who work at the F dealership in Virginia.

What, do you think they don't talk about their cars from EVERY aspect including service/maintenance cost?

Please ... they want me to buy one and become a F family member, always trying to talk me out of of the P-car, but that's probably one of the only things that keeps me from making the plunge at this point in my life - the maintenance cost.

I can purchase a 430, but it would be a bit of stretch to "own" one and I couldn't justify the cost of usuage vs. the amount of time I'd actually get to use it.

Maybe in another 5 years when the business is fully flushed and stable I'll join the ranks.

Heist, if your friends are telling you that their 430 has high maintenance cost then either they are pulling your leg, lying or do not own a 430. I have had my 430 Spider for almost two years driving over 10,000 miles and it has cost me a total of $1100. Prior to that, I drove a 430 coupe and though my mileage was less it cost me $800.

I also own two 360's and the cost were about the same.

Now if your friends believe $1100 is high maintenance cost for 10,000 miles, then I disagree and would urge them to buy cars with all servicing included during the warranty period.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Now if your friends believe $1100 is high maintenance cost for 10,000 miles, then I disagree and would urge them to buy cars with all servicing included during the warranty period.

Agreed!

+1

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:

you're on drugs

nick is right

Heist, if your friends are telling you that their 430 has high maintenance cost then either they are pulling your leg, lying or do not own a 430. I have had my 430 Spider for almost two years driving over 10,000 miles and it has cost me a total of $1100. Prior to that, I drove a 430 coupe and though my mileage was less it cost me $800.

Valid points,Nberry ... valid points. I mean most of these guys are all relatively young (30's-40's) overnight paper millonaires who hit it big in tech just before the bust.

It's an adjustment thing bruh.

Imagine, one week you're driving a rice-mobile, a standerd issue 3-Series, or the old Volvo wagon you had in college ... than BANG the company gets bought out by a public company, the stock surges the next month and you cash out and slurge on a fast Italian toy. Cost be damned!Even if you have to pay over sticker.

Life's good ... until they get that first service bill and suddenly they realized, this ain't no Camry and beyond maybe some nitrogen in your tires or a complmentary vaccum and window clean, no, there is no "Free" scheduled service intervals.

Like I said, just an adjustment thing.
    At least my P dealer will toss me the occasional free oil change or get me a free tire if I get a nail in it. I asked the F guys if they do this for a good customer ... I could hear the crickets over on the 16th hole.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:
    Quote:

you're on drugs

nick is right

Valid points,Nberry ... valid points. I mean most of these guys are all relatively young (30's-40's) overnight paper millonaires who hit it big in tech just before the bust.

It's an adjustment thing bruh.

Imagine, one week you're driving a rice-mobile, a standerd issue 3-Series, or the old Volvo wagon you had in college ... than BANG the company gets bought out by a public company, the stock surges the next month and you cash out and slurge on a fast Italian toy. Cost be damned!Even if you have to pay over sticker.

Life's good ... until they get that first service bill and suddenly they realized, this ain't no Camry and beyond maybe some nitrogen in your tires or a complmentary vaccum and window clean, no, there is no "Free" scheduled service intervals.

Like I said, just an adjustment thing.
    At least my P dealer will toss me the occasional free oil change or get me a free tire if I get a nail in it. I asked the F guys if they do this for a good customer ... I could hear the crickets over on the 16th hole.

Agree....svc/mtce/tire rpcmt/insur costs of new F's are not materially different than new 997TT/CL63...my anecdotal expce in past 12 mos is that CL63>>599>997TT in terms of build quality/reliability/daily-useability in first 5K mis (all are at least excellent, but notable diffces exist )....who keeps any car beyond 5K mis anyway???? Any >5K mis car is likely obsolete/scuffed-up from exuberant use.....simply move on to next latest/greatest-tech F/AMG/P...and avoid mtce downtime/hassles

BTW, allegedly affluent guys fixated on trivial svc/fuel/insurance/tire rpcmt/pkg/detailing, etc costs, rather than relative deprec costs of using any car 15K mis/yr, are prob guys who struggle w/basic arithmetic/reading....and perhaps basic driving skills....sure these Wash/NoVA guys wouldn't be more intellectually "comfortable" in OC/SD/Miami???

Quote:
    WBH said:
    BTW, allegedly affluent guys fixated on trivial svc/fuel/insurance/tire rpcmt/pkg/detailing, etc costs, rather than relative deprec costs of using any car 15K mis/yr, are prob guys who struggle w/basic arithmetic/reading....and perhaps basic driving skills....sure these Wash/NoVA guys wouldn't be more intellectually "comfortable" in OC/SD/Miami???

Are you trying to not make friends here, WBH?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

Always fun ridiculing pals in all these places....am familar w/enough characters in SF/SiliconValley/NYC/BevHills/OC, etc to realize that each of these places is eminently mockable in its own way ....and that's part of what makes each of them such interesting/entertaining places....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

Always fun ridiculing pals in all these places....am familar w/enough characters in SF/SiliconValley/NYC/BevHills/OC, etc to realize that each of these places is eminently mockable in its own way ....and that's part of what makes each of them such interesting/entertaining places....

I was just kidding.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

No worries. I can read between the lines on this. I know exactly what he was driving at

Every part of the country has its own "way." He must have done business in or lived in D.C. because he knows, NoVA and D.C. is pretty much the braintrust, "Look how many degrees I have and what prestigious school I went to", I scored blah blah on my MENSA test, I'm smarter than you ha-ha you dolt, capital of the U.S.
    To call someone "intellectually challenge" around here or that they would be more comfortable outside the Beltway is a supreme insult.

Sort of like when I was living in overly appearence conscious LA or Miami, god help me if I said "you got a bad breast job or your botox job sucks", I'm sure the person would probably want to throw down (or run and go grab a Xanax for the resulting aniexty attack)

Depreciation is expected ... Like I said, it was that intial bill that made them gasp.

BTW, why is the CL more expensive to maintain than the 599 and TT?
    Had the old Bubble Eyed E55 ... it was pretty good on service interval and cost for an uprated AMG version. Is there something crazy in the CL that pushes the cost up.

Quote:
    Heist said:
    No worries. I can read between the lines on this. I know exactly what he was driving at

Every part of the country has its own "way." He must have done business in or lived in D.C. because he knows, NoVA and D.C. is pretty much the braintrust, "Look how many degrees I have and what prestigious school I went to", I scored blah blah on my MENSA test, I'm smarter than you ha-ha you dolt, capital of the U.S.
    To call someone "intellectually challenge" around here or that they would be more comfortable outside the Beltway is a supreme insult.

Sort of like when I was living in overly appearence conscious LA or Miami, god help me if I said "you got a bad breast job or your botox job sucks", I'm sure the person would probably want to throw down (or run and go grab a Xanax for the resulting aniexty attack)

Depreciation is expected ... Like I said, it was that intial bill that made them gasp.

Very informative post about the different mentalities between the different parts of the US.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:

Very informative post about the different mentalities between the different parts of the US.

I've lived in California all my life with most of it being in Northern Ca. What I can say from my experience is that the mentality of the North is kinda an inferiority complex with the South. I think it has to do with the population difference (7 million in SF vs 17 million in LA). Or the fact that all of the beautiful women choose to live in LA than in SF. Or that the LA area has 100 miles of continuous beach next to the population center. Or we have better weather. The Bay Area has always had a sort of dislike for LA. You can see that when you attend sporting events. There's always the "Beat LA" chant. Any growth proposal (meaning building more houses or widening of any freeways) would be met with the "do you want to end up like LA" argument. In LA/OC/SD, I believe there is the opposite attitude. The south likes the Northern part of CA. They like SF. There is never the "I hate SF" attitude, nor the "do you want to end up like the Bay Area". It really is a relaxed, laid back, don't care attitude, towards the rest of the state and the country for that matter.

However, I still root for my Bay Area sports teams.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Holy hell. That's really one expensive car to run!
    Interesting how you, Nick, who spend a lot of time bashing Porsche for charging too much for their cars want to waste your money on this kinda service cost.
    30,000 mile maintenance = 4.000$? Are u kidding me? What does that include? A new engine?

I've heard some alarming stories about Ferrari service costs, most involving Testarossas and other older models.
    I was under the impression that newer Ferraris were a lot more "economical" to run?

I understand that a 500 BHP car eats its way thru clutches and brakes faster than a 250 BHP car will, but one would think that the manufacturer had built the materials to fit the car and strain it will endure - after all, isnt that why you pay $$$$ for a Ferrari, I mean, that it's built from good materials by experts?

Or perhaps they wanna keep people from actually driving - and hence servicing- their Ferrari.
    Most Ferraris just sit in the garage most of their lives anyway.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763378 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435869 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257752 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81236 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872754 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808244 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM