Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo as daily driver?

My car should be here in 4 weeks time.My last turbo(996)was more of a night/weekend thing,and regreted not using it more daily.Plan is to make this my everyday thing.Would love any comments from those who make this their daily.Thank you

Re: Turbo as daily driver?

It's exactly what it's made for.

Yes, perfect. That's why i bought it and nothing else like a F. I wanted to have fun every day not only on sunny days - even in the rain (germany....) it's fun, but don't turn PSM off;-))

Absolutely no probs in daily usage!

Got several cars. I'm an old f*rt (mid-40s). Some days it's a relief to jump into the M3, SUV, etc. and not have to stuff myself in and out of the tight cockpit of the 997.

In heavy traffic and parking lots sometimes it's a great joy to realise I'm not driving the small-ish and hard to see, PITA costly, easily dented Porsche.

There's "zero" room for anything more than a few bags of luggage since I carry a spare. Hopefully you don't have painted seat backs and want to keep them scratch free.

ONE thing I love about the Turbo as a DD? It is a tame docile "normal" car until you transform it into a monster in the passing lanes.

I'm an older (near 60) f*art and have been driving Porsche's since 85 as my daily drive. Love the cars. Why buy a car and only use it on the weekend to the CC or beach?? These cars are ment to be driven daily, enjoy the car as it was ment to be...namely driven not just looked at! BTW I have painted seat backs and my solution for my briefcase and laptop is to place the laptop on the drivers side rear seat and stand the briefcase up sideways in the rear seat well. I plaace a large soft bath towel over the briefcase to keep it from scratching the seatback. I just drove up from Clearwater Fl to Gainsville Fl last night (for the UF game) and used a small traveling suitcase which fit nicely on the passenger foot well if the passenger seat is pushed back. I had a nice comfortable fun drive in a great car that can run with the best of them.

Hope this helps & enjoy your turbo on the road,

Mike

mawyatt: nice post. I salute you!

Now I gotta reconsider my entire way of thinking on this matter.

Good ol' 996 TT has over 292'000 km now. I guess the 997 TT should be up to the task too.

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    I'm an older (near 60) f*art and have been driving Porsche's since 85 as my daily drive. Love the cars. Why buy a car and only use it on the weekend to the CC or beach?? These cars are ment to be driven daily, enjoy the car as it was ment to be...namely driven not just looked at! BTW I have painted seat backs and my solution for my briefcase and laptop is to place the laptop on the drivers side rear seat and stand the briefcase up sideways in the rear seat well. I plaace a large soft bath towel over the briefcase to keep it from scratching the seatback. I just drove up from Clearwater Fl to Gainsville Fl last night (for the UF game) and used a small traveling suitcase which fit nicely on the passenger foot well if the passenger seat is pushed back. I had a nice comfortable fun drive in a great car that can run with the best of them.

Hope this helps & enjoy your turbo on the road,

Mike

I'm the oldest fart here (well over 70). Since I'm retired I don't need a daily driver, so I use the TT for trips through the twisties and the wide open spaces. Just basically drive the [beep] out of it. In the 6 weeks I've been driving it I've got more the 4,000 miles on the clock. I find the majority of the people I've met who own Porsches tend to be social dilettantes whose only interest is showing off their cars and being seen in them. I guess the word poseur comes to mind.

BTW It hadn't occurred to me that the passenger foot well is an ideal place to carry luggage on a long trip. It'll help balance the weight of my fat ass. Thanks for the tip Mike. Nothing goes in the back seat though, it's already heavy enough back there.

Quote:
    MMD said:

There's "zero" room for anything more than a few bags of luggage since I carry a spare.

MMD- You're not one of those guys that drives his spare tire around in the rear passenger seat?

As a daily toy i find it perfect.
    I've driven in every condition, even on an alp pass with a lot of snow and i have to say no problems at all.
    Rock solid in every condition.
    The only matter can be to have a little bit of care in steep uphill/downhill since the front is very easy to scratch, especially if the car is equipped with sport suspension, and so lowered relative to standard setup. Very few space for luggage, that's true and this is my biggest concern, even if now that i'm considering a replacement i think that i'm so in love with it that no other car can replace it
    Highly addictive.

OK another question...how many km per yr do you plan tp rack on it?

Quote:
    EZ1 said:
    My car should be here in 4 weeks time.My last turbo(996)was more of a night/weekend thing,and regreted not using it more daily.Plan is to make this my everyday thing.Would love any comments from those who make this their daily.Thank you

over 17k miles here in 14 months, car runs better and better .

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

There's "zero" room for anything more than a few bags of luggage since I carry a spare.

MMD- You're not one of those guys that drives his spare tire around in the rear passenger seat?

Here's pic: they REQUIRE car to be sold with spare in certain countries. This is Porsche's solution.

My spare is in "trunk."

Iono i put 50K (km) on my boxster and it was a turn off for alot of dealers and potential buyers. Im trying to figure out if I keep this car for roughly 4 to 5 years how many KM can I rack on before its too many and I get burned hard.

im trying for 18K a year shouldnt be too hard but I can foresee me resisting the urge to hop into my turbo as opposed to my Accord. LOL.

I have driven my tip every single day since she arrived on 6/7/07 (when there is really bad snow starting in January, I'll hop into my 05 Jeep Ultimate Rubicon which is unflappable in inclement weather). Whether bumper to bumper traffic or open roads the 997 TT is simply AWESOME !!! The 997 is better than my old 03 6 speed 996 X50 TT as its a tip, more user friendly, more luxurious and performance wise is able to keep up (or simply decimate) most if not all comers. The best part is that the more miles you put on her the better she has performed. Screw resale value. You only live once !!! Put some miles on her and then mod her to your taste. When the 998 comes out you'll bequeath her to some lucky soul. Even with 50K-60K miles on a 5 year old TT, the car will be worth something to somebody. Enjoy.

Used 996TTS and 997TT as daily drivers.....generally solid, but 599 is "easier" daily driver....

However, would argue 997TT Coupe (not Cab) is one of 2-3 safest (consider both active/passive safety) commuter cars on planet (along w/CL63/65) ...and likely far safer than any F....

997TT's major commute issues: some 17gall fuel tank (would get 8MPG in my <5mi intra-urban commute; 13MPG on fwy/twisties; annoyingly short range); turbo lag is glaring on fast, urban fwys....if trying to solve "jigsaw puzzles"...esp if accustomed to 599/65-like tq/mid-range response; low ground clearance (997TT is worse than 996TTS; and far worse than 599)...need to consider certain driveway angles at home/gas stations/pkg garages, etc esp if in hilly/urban region; no Bluetooth (F has had for yrs); trunk space that's a large glovebox....even rumples wkly dry cleaning (599 and 430 have more useable trunks)....and placing unsecured objects in passenger compartment may not be brightest decision in any emgcy deceleration/collision ....

997TT is a great daily driver, especially when in a hurry, just point and shoot. Excellent view all around with great seating position.

Not as big as a 599, it's much more nimble. Good for zipping in and out of narrow roads.

AWD helps - the car is totally enjoyable even in the rain and for me, snow.

iPod connection (Dension or NavTV) gives you all the music you want at your finger tips.

Enough storage space you can easily tie down luggage using rear seat belts.

Wish it would be quieter as I accelerate, a little difficult to talk on the phone and punch car at the same time.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Used 996TTS and 997TT as daily drivers.....generally solid, but 599 is "easier" daily driver....

However, would argue 997TT Coupe (not Cab) is one of 2-3 safest (consider both active/passive safety) commuter cars on planet (along w/CL63/65) ...and likely far safer than any F....

997TT's major commute issues: some 17gall fuel tank (would get 8MPG in my <5mi intra-urban commute; 13MPG on fwy/twisties; annoyingly short range); turbo lag is glaring on fast, urban fwys....if trying to solve "jigsaw puzzles"...esp if accustomed to 599/65-like tq/mid-range response; low ground clearance (997TT is worse than 996TTS; and far worse than 599)...need to consider certain driveway angles at home/gas stations/pkg garages, etc esp if in hilly/urban region; no Bluetooth (F has had for yrs); trunk space that's a large glovebox....even rumples wkly dry cleaning (599 and 430 have more useable trunks)....and placing unsecured objects in passenger compartment may not be brightest decision in any emgcy deceleration/collision ....

I agree with everything you said except the gas mileage. I get 16-18 mpg in urban driving and over 21 mpg highway and my car is far from stock. The only time I averaged 8mpg was during a DE. My 335i with turbos half the size does not have better mileage, the TT's engine is ridiculously efficient.

Quote:
    W211 said:

Wish it would be quieter as I accelerate, a little difficult to talk on the phone and punch car at the same time.

LOL. Funny!

I think we _may_ be truly spoiled rotten.

Seriously: I'm glad the TT is "quiet" compared to my former 997S. It already looks dangerous and speeding while standing still; no need to freak out other drivers and residences with extra engineered-to-sound-aggressive noise.

WBH,

Agree with your overall impression except "mid-range torque". Generally, I see the turbo as all or nothing. I'm lolly gagging/pussy footing or full metal jacket/ drop the hammer. I didn't know that my TT had a "mid-range" (LOL) ! Your impressions are dead on, except I can't compare to 599 as I have never had an opportunity to flog same. I will tell you that my TT is supremely better than an F430, at least, as a true daily driver. Just this morning, I took my 3 daughters in the TT to Baskin-Robbins for some ice cream (ages 9, 11 and 12). Try that in an F car !!!

The 997TT makes an awsome DD, all year round.

Have a neighbor that has had every Turbo since the 80s, drives one to work EVERY day for the last 20 years. With 4WD they are they Ultimate 365 day vehicle

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753137 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430743 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258601 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255462 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79518 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868337 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801900 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM