Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Paint protection

Hi guys,

I am trying to decide what protective paint coating to go with. Currently I am looking at these 2 products:

Paintshield (3M): http://xpeleu.com/index.php

VentureShield: http://www.ventureshield.com/

I guess I need to do pretty much the whole front of the Turbo given where I have picked up chips on my Carrera.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products and any recommendations to share?

Many thanks

PS: Both sites seem to have good sales pitches saying they are the best...

'Independent comparison' on VentureShiled site: http://www.ventureshield.com/newpdf/Bodycote%20Comparison%20V%203M%201204.pdf

Re: Paint protection

Jason is recommending VentureShield over 3M. Next question is whether to do the whole bonnet or not. Hmmmm:

I say if you can, then go for it. I love having ZERO lines on my hood.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I say if you can, then go for it. I love having ZERO lines on my hood.

When you say "if you can" do you mean $$$$

I've read that VentureShield has less of a yellow tint to it than 3M. Can anyone confirm this? I would be interested as I am ordering my car in Cararra White.

Does that mean you've got it covering your ENTIRE hood? I thought the longest sheet they make is 24" Wow, the entire hood would be great!

Well, yeah, if you can afford it..go for the entire hood. I should have done this a while back. It really does look good. I plan to get the fenders covered too but it's pretty pricey at $800 per side!

I still have the limited fender coverage here. Notice no lines on the hood.

Instead, the line is all the way at the edge of the hood.

I've seen both. I picked Ventureshield for my new RS. Being fitted next week.

Get Nick Phelps to do the instal. He is the best in the UK. Email me if you need contact details.

UPDATE: OK, just had a longgggggg chat with Paintshield (3M) who my OPC recommended.

They said the type of 3M they use is different from the 3M that is applied as standard next to the rear wheel arches. The 3M stuff they use is definitely the best on the market and there is absolutely no chance of yellowing UNLESS it is fitted by non-expert in a non-controlled (eg. no dust) environment. This is probably the origin of a lot of yellowing stories that are told.

Also, the lifetime VentureShield warranty is not transferable (to a new owner on resale) and only covers yellowing. The 3M warranty is 4 years and covers you in minor collisions also.

With the thousands of Porsches they do and the vast experience I am actually leaning more towards Paintshield (3M) as they do seem the most experienced. However, they ARE more expensive (despite a PCGB 20% discount!). Plus I would have to pay for shipping costs half way up the country and back to their facilities. VentureShield would do the install onsite.

Might pop down to the annual Porsche show this weekend to check out each of the product stalls...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Jason is recommending VentureShield over 3M. Next question is whether to do the whole bonnet or not. Hmmmm:

Do it. I had partial bonnet protection and I've got the only chip after 7,000 miles about 25mm aft of where the protection ends

Yes, will definitely do the whole bonnet one way or the other.

Oooo, my next post will be my 1000th!!

Alex, I would ask Paintshield to send you a test patch of their material or at least show you a car with it already in place. I'm still a skeptic on anything other than VentureShield which I already know works VERY well. I can tell you that you can see the yellow in the material even before it's applied. I really do doubt that it has anything to do with how it's installed. I personally compared both the 3M vs VentureShield material. I should have taken a picture.

Post your findings. I'd be interested in some full-frontal action - depends how much it costs.

Do the whole hood, I have the parcel hood and a couple of dings above the line are apparent on my car.

In retrospect I should have done the entire car.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Well, yeah, if you can afford it..go for the entire hood. I should have done this a while back. It really does look good. I plan to get the fenders covered too but it's pretty pricey at $800 per side!

I still have the limited fender coverage here. Notice no lines on the hood.

Instead, the line is all the way at the edge of the hood.

Sorry for what seemed like a dumb question "$$$" but, even though I thought that is what you meant, I didn't think there could be that much difference in price that it would matter when protecting a car the price of a Turbo. I don't know anything about the pricing of this product. About how much to do the front bumber, full hood and full fenders. Do you recommend doing any other part of the car? Does anybody have any experience with installers in the Pa or Ohio area?

Guys - how much are those covers?

Never seen them anywhere here in Germany.

Question still stays - isnt a paint-job after getting some cracks cheaper than the protection cover?

L@rs

Quote:
    Lars997 said:

Question still stays - isnt a paint-job after getting some cracks cheaper than the protection cover?

[Email]L@rs[/Email]

In UK, for whole front end covered you are looking at about 1000 pounds. Cover half way up bonnet/wings about 600. Bumper only 200.

I hear what you are saying about this being almost as much as a re-spray but you aren't going to get it re-sprayed each time you get a stone chip are you. So you would just end up having a bad paint job for a few years before you then did it just before resale.

Quote:
    Lars997 said:

I've just had my front resprayed after a driver in front of me had a blow-out at speed, and am disappointed with the finish. It's a bit orange-peely, and there's some specs in it...but I am pretty picky. The paint quality of a respray may not be as good as from factory, so it's worth protecting it IMO. You can always peel the film off with no damage to the paint underneath.

For what it's worth: I did this type of covering on my 996 a number of years ago. I did it to protect the front of the car during track days. Everything worked as advertised with one exception: the paint appeared to oxidize at a different rate under the protection. It was only apparent after I took the protection off--which I did after a few years.

It wasn't horrible, but I didn't like it and not done it on the cars I have bought since. (Though none of these cars are track cars).

My experience with these products is limited. I had the 3M film on my M3 for 5+ years and it took quite a beating with lots of nicks. It was looking pretty ratty when I sold the car. The new owner removed the film and the car looked like new! I hardly recognized it when he showed up at a car show. No evidence of different rates of oxidation. When I owned the car I never saw signs of yellowing.

At Atomic80's suggestion I have Ventureshield on my TT and it looks good.

The one caveat I have is the "lifetime" warranties only are good for as long as the installer is in business. In the case of my M3 the installer went out of business about 18 months after my installation. No one in my area would honor the warranty.

Quote:
    Lars997 said:

[Email]L@rs[/Email]

I asked my Sydney Porsche dealer about it and he advised going the re-spray route. According to him the paint shop they use does a job that is indistinguishable from the factory job. I guess I would do it every couple of years or when the chips start to bug me.

I am a very satisfied customer of Premier Protection Films, Freemont, CA. (510) 623-1308. They did a whole car wrap with Ventureshirld, and 2 months later called to let me know the will honor thier work with LIFETIME FREE WAXING / DETAILING!...now that's what I call backing up a great product! It was about 5 grand for the whole car, but I would do it again if I bought another nice ride tomorrow. I have about one more inch exposed than Jason's sweet pics above, not sure why but I assume it's the stretch under the front of the hood. The only area not covered on my install is the hood corners and the rear air slots over engine, FYI.

Also like to add the fact that Ventureshield has less of a orange peel visual than the 3M products I have seen (juet a few ride, none were whole car)

My vote, Ventureshield!

Whatever you do, love your ride and treat it right. If 5 grand scares you, maybe you are browsing the wrong league of cars. My ride is a grocery getter, not atrack car. I did it for my love of the ride, I like it perfect, just like it came from the factory, not for concern over cost versus reslae.

Cheers,
    DG

P.S.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436995 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261287 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258128 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82718 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809498 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM