Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PIC request: Instrument suround painted

Anyone have some pics of this option?

Thank you

Re: PIC request: Instrument suround painted

This not a great shot.. but can see the red surround...

Quote:
    JAMS997GT3 said:
    This not a great shot.. but can see the red surround...

Thanks for that.

Any thought about this option?

Do you think painted instrument surround is not good for driving?

Quote:
    997GT3RS said:

Any thought about this option?

Do you think painted instrument surround is not good for driving?

Fine for driving: does not impair safety or anything serious IMO.

As this red-trimmed pic emphatically shows: I personally think it is a good way to "junk up" the interior.

Said it so many times it's probably annoying but here goes: the interior is already reeeeeally busy and cluttered in it's stock form. Adding MORE bizzyness is something people should really think about (not that there's anything wrong with adding more bizzy-ness).

That is seriously gross. How anyone can go for a tan interior let alone max-power the plastics is beyond me.

Quote:
    bridggar said:
    That is seriously gross. How anyone can go for a tan interior let alone max-power the plastics is beyond me.

Yeah, they spent all that extra money on the red bits & pieces and then went cheap with the cardboard floor mats.

Quote:
    bridggar said:

I agree with you on this one.

I've got nothing against tan interiors, but that's horrendous... It looks like it was designed by Roy Rogers... It looks like the interior of a fast-food restaurant chain....

BTW, the E36 package I got on my 997S included an aluminum-look gauge surround... Far more subtle, and integrates perfectly with all the stock trim on the dash... A FAR more subtle and practical upgrade....

As far as the instrument surround goes?

I can't find any pictures of it.

Makes me wonder; when you look at it installed from driver's seat you really don't see very much of it.

It always comes in the color of the interior (or the color of the dash in bi-color ints.)

I can see doing the whole interior like what the pic in red above is doing (good illustration!) in a more tasteful way (like a Slate Grey in a black interior); but it would be hard to decide which way to go without seeing an example in person.

OTOH, if you want to do ONLY the Instrument surround, it might be fine in ANY color since it's such a small "inconspicuous" area.

In a GT3

In a GT3RS

Last one

Aw Geez..., hard to look at these pics. Hopefully they look better (i.e. not awful) in person. Sorry for sounding pr*ckish, I guess if I were in my 20s again I would think it was cool... .

I think it looks good when painted in the grays/silver/aluminum... more or less extends the instrument bezels' finish.

I contemplated ordering it myself, but refrained as I thought it was a wee bit overpriced for what it was.
    This one is Arctic silver-

i think in black it would good, kinda like piano black trim in a m5

Quote:
    Damian said:
    I contemplated ordering it myself, but refrained as I thought it was a wee bit overpriced for what it was.

Actually, the "E36 Aluminum Look Package" is commonly misunderstood. It's less about aluminum-look (all you get is the damn instrument surround in extra aluminum-look), and far more about extra leather, on your defroster panels, your dash speaker, and leather-wrapped A/C vents.. I think the bulk of the purchase price is the labor it takes for the poor person who gets to wrap and stitch those vents!!!

All in all, the package adds some nice "detail" to the interior, and makes the dash flow more nicely having the vents in interior-color.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    I think it looks good when painted in the grays/silver/aluminum... more or less extends the instrument bezels' finish.

Agree the silvers/blacks is okay but never been a fan of painting interior pieces. There's something very pimp my ride about using exterior paint colors to paint the interior........I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference vs the black plastic but I ordered my instrument surround in leather this time around. I'm already getting other subtle leather pieces like steering column, rear view, sunvisors, dome lamp, inner sills, A-pillar/ side view mirror mounting plate..so figured I'd just add the leather inst surround, the devil is in the details... I'll be the only one who notices but...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

Agree the silvers/blacks is okay but never been a fan of painting interior pieces. There's something very pimp my ride about using exterior paint colors to paint the interior........I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference vs the black plastic but I ordered my instrument surround in leather this time around. I'm already getting other subtle leather pieces like steering column, rear view, sunvisors, dome lamp, inner sills, A-pillar/ side view mirror mounting plate..so figured I'd just add the leather inst surround, the devil is in the details... I'll be the only one who notices but...

In my case even I don't notice the leather details in my car! It wasn't until I was reviewing my order that I remembered I had specified a leather steering column. I had to go out and look at the car to see what I had, I hadn't noticed it before. Same goes for the leather dome light cover.

I suppose if you had something like the red interior pictured above, you'd definitely notice it. I also think that sort of thing, while "stunning" at first glance, is something I would tire of in very short order. Fortunately I came to my senses before I ordered an equally wild interior.

Quote:
    dg911 said:
    In a GT3RS

Thank you for the pics.

I was thinking to add this option to my 08 Green RS, the spec is non leather interior and cf seats and green roll cage and green rear center console.

Is it good to add the green instrument suround?

I honestly think it would give you a headache... Too much of a good thing...

And as others have suggested, when you start painting all the trim in your car body-color, you instantly start obtaining the same "look" as most every 1989 Honda CRX and Civic you might peek into in the parking lot of your local Hooters..

Aluminum looks great

Aluminium

Alum. wheel huh?

Gotta make your hands feel sweaty. Hummmm... .

Alum. front center console? Nice way to make all those black switches look even more annoying.

IMO.

Hmph. I'd be more concerned about blue leather and black centre boss on wheel....

Quote:
    bridggar said:
    Hmph. I'd be more concerned about blue leather and black centre boss on wheel....

Yeah, good eye. Weird.

All these option combinations are starting to seem like a curse!

There must be seven billion different combos possible.

Gentlemen: Above all else please keep in mind just because Porsche offers it as an option does not mean it looks good!

Here is a few of mine.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM