Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anybody of you uses a GT3 as a daily drive?

Just interested since my dealer tempted me with one.

Re: Anybody of you uses a GT3 as a daily drive?

I would if I could...but I need the extra seats. The 997GT3 seems to be more 'livable' day to day than the 996.

Hello

From my point of view, it is clearly possible to use a 997 GT3 everyday. The only thing I would do is to change the tires just in case I have to drive when raining....

Well changing tires will be the first thing i will do.
    Extra seats...at the moment i do not use them rather then putting things on them..luggage and this stuff.

Is it possible to stuff anything inside the GT3? (does it come standard with a rollcage fitted or not?)

Another question: isn't the car ride height too low to circulate inside a city? (underground parkings and all those things?)

Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    Another question: isn't the car ride height too low to circulate inside a city? (underground parkings and all those things?)

In a city you'd be scraping the front constantly. The only way to try to avoid that is take inclines/declines at a severe angle and slowly. It would get frustrating.

I drive my GT3 as a daily drive. I split time with a C2S cab. It's got 10,000 miles already. It can be tiring on somedays but on most days, I love driving it. However, I live in Southern California where it never rains and it's sunny everyday. Example, I use to live in Chicago. There's no way I would drive it everyday because of the bad roads and bad weather.

Well i think it's already frustrating with my turbo so this is why i'm asking. How much lower is the GT3 relative to the TT?

Quote:
    silvershadow said:
    Well i think it's already frustrating with my turbo so this is why i'm asking. How much lower is the GT3 relative to the TT?

Gimme a break. If the Turbo is frustrating there is no way you should be considering at GT3... even a 997 GT3 (as opposed to a 996 GT3). It is a much more extreme car. Further to the other advice the GT3 is manual only and has a heavier clutch.

Go get yourself another car - like the wonderful Audi S8 - if you want something fast and easier to live with compared to the Turbo.

When i say frustrating i mean in terms of ride height.
    Incline/decline are difficult to handle without scratching it ( I have sport suspension on so my question is
    : is my car as low as the GT3 or higher up?)

I will never consider a car like and S8 for many reasons: it's too big, too heavy, too grown old car for me.
    I will never consider an automatic transmission either since i love manual gearbox. Clutch is not a problem. I really love a heavy one.

If it is to drive around ZH, I would not do it... to frustrating and it is not the place for such a car, really .
    Try to get a test drive before anything else.
    You can have it without the roll cage ( roll cage is an option)

The GT3 can be very low (limiting access or causing concerns) to use as a daily driver. The new MB Black Series CLK 6.3 AMG might fit the bill perfectly for those of us who don't need a back seat, and want performance with a few creature comforts.

The GT3 is lower than a 997 TT with sport suspension. It is the lowest car in the 911 line-up, and I agree that if you find the TT frustrating, a GT3 is a definite no-no and a clever way for your dealer to tempt some more money out of your pocket.

The GT3 is meant to be a track car first and foremost. If you want a daily driver, it's not for you.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:
    The GT3 is lower than a 997 TT with sport suspension. It is the lowest car in the 911 line-up, and I agree that if you find the TT frustrating, a GT3 is a definite no-no and a clever way for your dealer to tempt some more money out of your pocket.

The GT3 is meant to be a track car first and foremost. As such, it is certainly the most "macho" 911, and plenty of people want it because that image is so alluring (plus the press on the car has been fantastic). However, if you want a daily driver, it's not for you.

Quote:
    cnc said:
    The GT3 can be very low (limiting access or causing concerns) to use as a daily driver. The new MB Black Series CLK 6.3 AMG might fit the bill perfectly for those of us who don't need a back seat, and want performance with a few creature comforts.

Not sure any of these cars is a suitable commuter car....sure, guys do it; but 99%+ of guys (even alleged car guys ) commute via dubious-safety cars/SUVs for various reasons

GT3 w/o PSM and w/track-oriented tires may not be one's best weapon in any emergent driving maneuver on public roads, esp wet (though it has that amusing, track-relevant sunroof )....and it even occasionally rains in LA in winter , and CA coastal mtns often have AM mist/damp roads on non-rainy, non-winter days, despite the myths ....

CLK BS (that 4000lb "track" car ), though has stab ctrls, comes w/?P Corsas which may leave one in dire straits on any wet road....or be more prone to flats on dry public roads due to stickiness vs nails/road debris...

Am considering closely whether Scud will be at all useful on public roads (for commuter and/or wkend twisties driving) if it indeed has been developed/titrated w/?P Corsa tires.....if I wanted a track car, I'd get 430C; some of these mongrels like GT3/Scud w/track tires (or CLK BS w/track tires) risk becoming fairly irrelevant to many buyers who have zero interest in tracks but want a precise/safe, daily-useable car that can be better exploited in wkend mtn twisties driving...

My problem with the GT3 as a daily driver is the rough clutch and also the problem with scraping the front chin. The rough ride does not bother me.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    cnc said:

Not sure any of these cars is a suitable commuter car....sure, guys do it; but 99%+ of guys (even alleged car guys ) commute via dubious-safety cars/SUVs for various reasons

GT3 w/o PSM and w/track-oriented tires may not be one's best weapon in any emergent driving maneuver on public roads, esp wet (though it has that amusing, track-relevant sunroof )....and it even occasionally rains in LA in winter , and CA coastal mtns often have AM mist/damp roads on non-rainy, non-winter days, despite the myths ....

CLK BS (that 4000lb "track" car ), though has stab ctrls, comes w/?P Corsas which may leave one in dire straits on any wet road....or be more prone to flats on dry public roads due to stickiness vs nails/road debris...

Am considering closely whether Scud will be at all useful on public roads (for commuter and/or wkend twisties driving) if it indeed has been developed/titrated w/?P Corsa tires.....if I wanted a track car, I'd get 430C; some of these mongrels like GT3/Scud w/track tires (or CLK BS w/track tires) risk becoming fairly irrelevant to many buyers who have zero interest in tracks but want a precise/safe, daily-useable car that can be better exploited in wkend mtn twisties driving...

Have you driven any of these cars yet? (I know you haven't driven the Scuderia since it was just released today) Or are your opinions based upon paper statistics and perception? No criticism implied or intended

I don't know about your driving style (even mountain driving), but mine is relatively calm and gravitating towards being legal on the streets. I do enjoy good braking, steering, responsiveness and safety though! Therefore, I don't think I am going to put extreme heat into the tires to be worried about the stickiness of the tires and pick up of road debris. So considering safety, handling and user friendliness the "mongrel MB offers a lot of appeal as a daily driver and occasional track car. Damp roads and HP always require special care.

Have driven GT3 and CLK BS, but briefly (and make no claims that I'm more than a mere amateur driver who's daily-driven a few interesting cars over past 5-10 yrs....and have a decent sense of risk/reward and self-preservation ).....still doubt I'd want to be in either car in any emergent maneuver on a public road ....also tend to drive conservatively, but, if, for ex., faced w/a difficult situation on a high-speed, dense-traffic fwy, I'd want to drive car w/maximal active safety (steering/brakes/trac/stab ctrls/tires, etc) and passive safety to have every poss safety net to help me avoid collision...and walk away w/no injuries if collision is unavoidable.....

Personally, have lost tolerance in recent yrs for cars where one needs to chk weather forecast (esp in CA w/its 9+mos/yr of near-perfect weather) and plan routes to find roads/gas stations/pkg garage ramps amenable to "mongrel" wannabe racecars' ground clearance constraints....

In era of 599 and CL63, suspect many of these mongrel wannabe-track cars are becoming less relevant to most buyers (perhaps explaining the difficult sales of cars like CGT/GT2, etc)....track guys are perhaps better served by getting a 430C/FXX/GT3 Cup w/no street-legal compromises (like those pesky sunroofs...or 4000lbs of wt )....

The 599 and CLK 63 BS are cut from the same cloth (performance wise), I have spent considerable time driving both, (as well as the GT3 and RS). Think of them as big brother and little brother, the former offering some more room and the latter being a little more nimble (due to size).

Both have incredible responsiveness (for daily use) and are very different than the GT2 (one of my all time favorites, which I owned for 4 years) you referenced!

The CGT is on a level of performance (and engineering) far beyond any of the above example (FXX?)...but it is a special car for special drivers!!!!

So,(imo) to get back on topic, if you always know your routes, the GT3 is a great daily driver. If there is unexpected terrain (clearance issues) the MB CLK63 BS is the way to go. Supposing you need a little more space and have no parking considerations (or budget) the 599 works too, unless you believe (which I don't) that the safety (versus MB) has not been engineered in.

Drive a 997 GT3 daily in Houston....and thoroughly enjoy it.

Treat the front chin spoiler as sacrificial and ride height is irrelevant. Its ~$200 to replace...

Quote:
    BMCG said:
    Drive a 997 GT3 daily in Houston....and thoroughly enjoy it.

Treat the front chin spoiler as sacrificial and ride height is irrelevant. Its ~$200 to replace...

But the question was, for someone that finds the Turbo inpractical is the GT3 more practical? I can't see how the answer would be anything other than NO.

This is really simple: ask yourself if you want a daily driver you can take to the track, or a track car you can accept as a daily driver. Ie. what's your primary intention?

If it's a track car, get the GT3.
    If it's a daily driver, stick with a 997 or 997TT.

There's no need to discuss all these other cars since Porsche already makes the car for you!

Chin spoiler height:

Turbo: about 6 inches

GT3: about 4-1/2 inches

I measured both at a dealership before I picked up my GT3. Some things I've noticed so far that make the GT3 different from "regular" Porsches:

1. Engine noise: vibrating metallic sounds coming through 2,000 rpm. From inside the cabin, the motor sounds rougher and has more rattles than the Carrera at lower rpms. Once you get about 4,200, it's a different story.

2. Low ride height: Yes, you're going to scrape that chin spoiler.

3. Shifter: Very tight shift pattern and more effort is needed to shift between gears.

4. Clutch: Stiffer and less "play." The clutch is more "on or off" compared to reg. Carrera.

5. Ride comfort: Very firm ride, but not jarring because of PASM.

I'm seriously considering this same question after owning a GT3 for nearly one month. Is it an every day driver? Because of a lot of stop and go traffic and because of a parking garage at work with not many "safe" stalls, I have only driver my GT3 to work once. This has been a disappointment to me, and I am considering turning in the car and getting a Porsche that is more adpated to traffic and that I would worry about less in my work parking garage.

So whether or not the GT3 would make a good daily driver depends, I would think, on what your daily drive is like.

Oops, forgot!

6. Sport Cup tires that come on the car are not recommended, perhaps not even safe, for wet climates. I changed out my tires immediately with Michelin PS2s. If there is any chance you will be driving in heavy rain or standing water, you also might want to take off those cup tires.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763965 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436256 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260940 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808641 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM