Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera in California Picture

The problem as I see it with Porsche applying the iconic organic form of the 1930s Erwin Komenda designed VW Beetle/356/911 lineage to ever larger vehicles is that the new models look so bloated , since the required torpedo/pontoon - like bowed sides and bulbous rear ends ,just to name a couple of heritage cues ,don't look right at that scale.

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    Im not sure why they needed to make it a hatchback, so much less elegant.

It will not be a hatchback. Those lines are camo.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

It will not be a hatchback. Those lines are camo.

Could have fooled me .

Actually, the lines of the rear passenger door are "exactly" the same as those in the design drawing!
    Further,ore, I the first two pics of the proto's at the gas station. It shows that the front is going to look good, and the rear is not as ugly as I feared... Sounds like a good development to me!
    -Joost-

I beg to differ. If you look at the drawings, you will see that the rear door does not go down into the wheel well.It also does not go up vertically into that little window. Look again.

I think you guys are forgetting RC's post...

"The rear looks a bit japanese to me (this is why I meant "japanized") and reminds me a little bit of current Mazda limousines but of course it looks completely different. The rear part doesn't look quite exactly of how it looks in those mule/prototype pictures, the rear window is pretty flat for a limousine but the real deal looks more like a mixture between the current Mercedes CL and a hatchback/911, it is difficult to describe. The new Panamera does NOT have a "real" hatchback rear, the prototypes are camouflaged. The rear is surprisingly 911-like and not, it is difficult to describe. The rear lights are actually much longer than they are in the pictures/photos of prototypes. It is diffult to describe it from my memory since I only had a 10-15 seconds time frame to look at the pictures before it was "removed"."

He is the only person on the board who has actually had a glimpse of the real car so I think we should trust him

The Panamera looks fantastic already as more and more "clothing" is removed ! There is also camouflage on the side doors which in reality will be sculpted,with part of them being recessed. How can someone rave about the A-M Rapide and not like this car?
    Porsche will sell as many as they can produce.

I'll still give the final version another look when we see it. After all the same guys who released the sketch above are building the car.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    How can someone rave about the A-M Rapide and not like this car?

It's not difficult.

Quote:
    reginos said:

You must be joking, right?

Design wise we all know nobody even come close to AM.

AM Rapide, now that is a 4 door saloon I wouldn't mind.

Have always used exterior styling of cars as something of a contra-indicator....

599 is fugly....still think so after almost 5K mis....and prob see at least two every day in my office pkg garage/at my usual dining spots....but IMO, today, 599 is clearly one of world's 2-3 greatest cars based upon overall tech/perf/driving precision....

Conversely, many of cars that peanut gallery often claims are "pretty" enough for their feminine side, not that there's anything wrong w/that .....?AM DB9, CLS, etc....are consistently cars w/rather shabby interiors in terms of ergonomics/design/materials quality/advanced comfort tech.....and definitely deliver lackluster or downright embarrassing perf/tech/driving precision...perhaps explaining the appeal to "ladies who lunch"-type buyers.....

So, even if Panama is fugly (which I suspect it will be)....will def get one to drive for a few mths if its perf/tech/driving precision promises to be as impressive as the fugly 599's.....

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Have always used exterior styling of cars as something of a contra-indicator....

599 is fugly....still think so after almost 5K mis....and prob see at least two every day in my office pkg garage/at my usual dining spots....but IMO, today, 599 is clearly one of world's 2-3 greatest cars based upon overall tech/perf/driving precision....

I don't think I could ever buy a car that I thought was fugly. But that's just me.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

I don't think I could ever buy a car that I thought was fugly. But that's just me.

I could never buy an alleged "pretty" car w/dubious tech/perf/driving precision (like DB9, etc)....except as a gift for a particularly deserving hottie, AKA young "scholar"....

Always amusing that prob most of the car stylists and styling-focused prospective "buyers" tend to be chicks/transgenders....and prob individuals w/dubious basic driving skills who have never driven many perf cars, even at legal speeds on a slightly curvy public road ....and their great contribution to interior ergonomics&design tends to be limited to ever-larger/more cupholders.....

Some of us are lucky enough to have found a car that provides both.

You must collect tickets like loose change if your extracting all the 599's performance every morning.

When are we getting a pic of the 599, (or did i miss it) surely one of the desreving hotties could snap a pic for you.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

You must be joking, right?

Design wise we all know nobody even come close to AM.

The Rapide is a four door variation on the A-M coupe theme. Similarly the Panamera looks like a saloon variation on the Carrera recipe.
    So people who like the 911 look should not dismiss the Panamera.
    Similarly if someone is a fan of the A-M coupe look (not many I suppose judging from sales performance and the regular change of company ownership!) this person will drool over the Rapide.

Ever sat in one? I have. The Rapide's back seat ia a joke--the perfect opposite of form following function. Maybe good for a manicured poodle, another design with no function...

Quote:
    WBH said:Always amusing that prob most of the car stylists and styling-focused prospective "buyers" tend to be chicks/transgenders....and prob individuals w/dubious basic driving skills who have never driven many perf cars, even at legal speeds on a slightly curvy public road ....and their great contribution to interior ergonomics&design tends to be limited to ever-larger/more cupholders.....

Now, that's FUNNY

It also might be a little bit true.

Quote:
    Wonderbar said:
    Ever sat in one? I have. The Rapide's back seat ia a joke--the perfect opposite of form following function.

Porsche had difficulties to cope with the ergonomically required space on the back seats, quite contradictory to the car's initial drawings. This is the chassis' part that they had to change under development, they surely had to sacrifice form over function.

hi
    the car on the picture vom david is one of the first panamera ever made with no final interior.

like 911 steering wheel
    cayenne tach und speedos

in the back sitting in the panamera ist great.

that is what i can say.

dave

I admire Porsche's realistic approach to designing a comfortable back seat. Buyers of a four door coupe will want to carry passengers in the back often. The market niche will demand it, and if sales are successful the car will ultimately have an L (for long) version. The new Lexus--which incidentally is a fabulous car--has an L version that my brother-in-law just bought.

Quote:
    Dave9xx said:
    hi
    the car on the picture vom david is one of the first panamera ever made with no final interior.

like 911 steering wheel
    cayenne tach und speedos

in the back sitting in the panamera ist great.

that is what i can say.

dave

How about a pic...

The more I see of it, the less I like it...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM