Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Panamera in California Picture

I hope this isn't a repost.

Found here: http://www.fastlanedaily.com/page/porsche-panamera-spy-shot

Re: Panamera in California Picture

With a pop wing, there's no doubt in my mind Porsche will build a 2 door version.

I sure hope they will ..

good find david.

That has got to be the most bland blob i have ever seen by any manufacturer. Its extremely large, shouler height, which is bad for performance and it is shapeless in this current form.

And nothing like their previously released sketch.

I hope they are just trying to fool everyone.

Don't woooory .....Porsche is just using the bodies of Lexus GS models on these test mules. The REAL Panamera will look NOTHING like these homely blobs !

The rear door line looks kind of out of place .

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Don't woooory .....Porsche is just using the bodies of Lexus GS models on these test mules. The REAL Panamera will look NOTHING like these homely blobs !

I test drove a lexus 460 a couple weeks ago and it has become one of the best looking sedans out there unlike the extruded GS.

But i would say as of now that this panamera shape (it's actually shapeless) does not even begin to compete with the 460, the merc cls, the bmw 7, or audi A5, not to mention the rapide.

Does anyone look at this THING and say wow or "I wish I had one of those"?

In Ron's enlargement, look at the wing. Why put a Ricey wing on a sedan? That is one big car.

Quote:
    racerx said:

I do. I wish I had one to burn it .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:

I do. I wish I had one to burn it .

I really think Porsche is teasing us with the mule, and they are reading the forums and laughing 'bout the dissapointed reactions.. When they'll make it official, we'll all be BLOWN away I HOOOOOOOPE!!

Quote:
    Flyer.. said:
    I really think Porsche is teasing us with the mule, and they are reading the forums and laughing 'bout the dissapointed reactions.. When they'll make it official, we'll all be BLOWN away I HOOOOOOOPE!!

I don't think so. If you look at the pic, you can clearly see the line of the windows. That's the final version. Also the rear window is now visible, as well as a big part of the rear lights, which seem to be really huge, just as RC already said.

Sure there is still some camo at the front and rear bumber, but overall we have the final form of the Panamera in this pic of the dark green mule.

And what I can see so far, still doesn't convince me.

Please Rossi, you are ruining my last hopes

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Flyer.. said:

I don't think so. If you look at the pic, you can clearly see the line of the windows. That's the final version. Also the rear window is now visible, as well as a big part of the rear lights, which seem to be really huge, just as RC already said.

Sure there is still some camo at the front and rear bumber, but overall we have the final form of the Panamera in this pic of the dark green mule.

As long as the shape isn't repulsive, I think most will be convinced/turned off by what the car has to offer in power/driving dynamics.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Flyer.. said:

Hope you're right Flyer!

I just cannot believe that this is near the final version.
    The door handles look completely out of place. I don't think the non-metallic green helped either......

I'm now thinking that the Chrysler PT Cruiser ain't that ugly afterall.....

Although this is no great beauty, I really don't think its all that bad!
    There is still quite a bit of false paneling (doors, and bumpers)and Rossi is right in saying that this is pretty much the final shape.
    I think the problem is that the car does not meet the very high expectations that were created with the "official" drawings.

I really can't believe this! It's still a car made by PORSCHE, they have the same taste as other porsche lovers. So they must also see this looks terrible! I'm going to wait for the final version and not watch anymore test mules

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    I think the problem is that the car does not meet the very high expectations that were created with the "official" drawings.

That's right. IMO the real problem is the huge size of the car. It's always difficult to give a big car, especially if it's shaped like a GT, a great design. The design studies always look great, but most times you can't transform them into reality since it would turn out to be just too impractical at such a car. Just have a look at the 612 Scaglietti: though not being an ugly car, the Pininfarina drawings were so much more exciting.

I take the risk of getting flamed but I like it (as far as I can tell from the pics of a heavily camo'd car)

I believe that Porsche is doing the right thing by carrying over design clues from their icon. People who want a Porsche but can get a 911 (due to family size or other "restrictions") want it to be recognized as a Porsche. This car has these similarities. I am sure it will be a hit. Like the Cayenne was and to some degree still is (at least for their balance sheet).

A radical new design would be much more difficult to market as it would mean to teach people not only that you have a product in a different segment but also to make sure they recognize it. By using these design clues, the car automatically gets some attributes that are attached to the originator (no matter if it has it in reality or not). And above all, people will instantly recognize it and therefore buy it just because it is perceived as a Porsche.

From the company's point of view, I am convinced that it'll work. And it'll be a great car for the family father. If it is the best thing for the die-hard-P-is-a-Sportscar-manufacturer-and-the-911-is-the-only-real-car-fan is a whole different question. But keep in mind that, like the Cayenne, if it's good for Porsche's balance sheet, it is also good for the 911 as it helps them funding its future development.

As far as myself is concerned, I like it and am looking forward to seeing the final design. But as I do not have the restrictions mentioned above, I am more than happy with my two 911.

Matt C, I'm with you, may be the 2 of us are going to be flamed.

Good for you!
    I think "like" might be too strong a word to describe my feelings for it, I'm certainly not as repulsed by it as I was initially.

Rossi - I also think the car's waist-line is much higher than in the initial drawings.
    The other thing that bothers me is that it seems that the engine is sitting right above the front axel (there is no room between the front axel and the "A" pillars), which I thought would be something you would want to avoid. (Try and get the engine as much as possible towards the centre).
    I'm however; sure that Porsche knows what they are doing.

Im not sure why they needed to make it a hatchback, so much less elegant.

I think its because they are trying to establish some sort of ancestral lineage to the 911.

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    I think its because they are trying to establish some sort of ancestral lineage to the 911.

I am not the greatest 911 expert, but I think the use of a hatchback establishes a link to the 928. It looks just like my 928 hatch minus the big ass wing.

I think what porsche is doing is making a cross-over utility vehicle that weighs less than the cayenne but will serve that market.

(directed at porsche) This is no sleek luxury sedan. But the hatch will help all the old ladies that buy this to let their cats in and out.

Every time I see those drawings I just can't help thinking what could have been.

Lioghten up, racerx, perhaps this means that the 928's successor will arrive shortly, in the guise of the Panamera Coupé .

Wow Enzo911! Those are interesting shots.
    Thanks for posting them

That Rear door has got to be false!
    Just compare the rear door in the drawings and the current one on the car.
    I know that the drawing is pie in the sky, but there is something really strange about that rear door. (look how it is smaller than the end curvature of the rear window)

Great new pics Enzo911!

First time we see the rear as well as the front without camo.

Looks like a pumped up 997 to me...

After these pics, I like it even more....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691065 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410186 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256236 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858827 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM