Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Break In Worries/Regrets

So I facked daahp. I'm part idiiot and part C2S habitual user. So in my new TT I hit wrong _downshift_ gear (ONCE!) and hit 7000 or maybe 7200. Did NOT NOT NOT _peg_ Tach but went over the 6600 redline. This single incident happened around 500 miles.

Did I ruin car?

First 300 miles no horsing around, lots of tame shifting to vary engine speeds. After 300 I've been pretty good staying routinely around 4200 and occasionally up to 5500. I came near redline a ___few___ and only a few times. Been _somewhat_ hitting throttle (NOT punching it) to get those Turbos to kick in now and then. All of this idiocy was because of showing off for highly excited passengers/friends.

Sorry to sound soooo _pathetic_! ("Get a grip on yourself Man!") Did I ruin car warrenty and..., worse: for enchanting long term relationship of..., say..., seven to ten years? AWWWWWGH!

Re: Break In Worries/Regrets

I have inadvertedly during break-in had the rev limiter shut down engine. No harm as far as I can tell. However over reving from downshifting error can damage engine. It is also on your permanent record via ecu. Good luck.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    So I facked daahp. I'm part idiiot and part C2S habitual user. So in my new TT I hit wrong _downshift_ gear (ONCE!) and hit 7000 or maybe 7200. Did NOT NOT NOT _peg_ Tach but went over the 6600 redline. This single incident happened around 500 miles.

Did I ruin car?

First 300 miles no horsing around, lots of tame shifting to vary engine speeds. After 300 I've been pretty good staying routinely around 4200 and occasionally up to 5500. I came near redline a ___few___ and only a few times. Been _somewhat_ hitting throttle (NOT punching it) to get those Turbos to kick in now and then. All of this idiocy was because of showing off for highly excited passengers/friends.

Sorry to sound soooo _pathetic_! ("Get a grip on yourself Man!") Did I ruin car warrenty and..., worse: for enchanting long term relationship of..., say..., seven to ten years? AWWWWWGH!

Naw, don't worry about it. There are tuners who raise the redline to 7300 rpm, so it shouldn't do any damage to the engine.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. As long as the engine still runs you're good to go. If you had really stuffed it, you'd be hearing thrashing machine sounds as the engine ate itself for lunch. But, knock off the showing off to friends sort of thing. No good can come of that.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Did I ruin car?

Relax my friend, I have been taking my car regularly to 7300 rpm for the last 11k miles, nothing to worry about at that level . I would be careful not to exceed that though.

Many times have seen allegedly expcd drivers bungle gears in Luddite trannies....always fun to quietly observe....

Passgr may have had a few unsaid thoughts/doubts....perhaps thought this guy still doesn't know how to use this elderly tranny .....perhaps a less elderly Tip (in perma-Auto mode) would have been more appropriate .....sheesh, if repeat P guys still can't figure out these Luddite trannies, how bad are those 430Spider F-1 drivers/poseurs????....those F's don't even have cupholders...but they do have Bluetooth....

I assure you, you did no damage. These engines are virtually bullet proof. Back in the 90's I had a C2 Turbo which mis shifted once and reved up beyond words can explain, nothing happened

Don't worry about the newness of the engine. Porsche run in all 997 engines at the factory. So it's already done a few thousand km worth of engine load standing still!

However, you are right to be concerned about over reving shifting down the box. As nothing went bang straight away you are probably okay. And as the guys above already say in their posts modified engines can run that high. Basically don't make a habit of it and you'll probably be fine.

Two other suggestions: learn the gear ratios for the turbo. They are obviously very different to the C2S but even so, if you are driving smoothly (albeit fast) there is little need to touch the red line on the way down... you'd be better off down the torque curve.

Second, never (unless you have to for safety) rev your engine close to the red line on a cold engine. I always allow the water and oil temperatures to reach their steady state temperatures before I use the full range of the engine. Once warmed up, the rev range is there to be used and enjoyed!

Basically - don't worry. I think you got away with it. Maybe have a chat to the Porsche technicians next time you check the car in.

Guys, these are Porsches. They don't break that easily.

Dan

You probably got the car all excited, like spanking a girl on a date!

Just do not do it again. Not true that the engines can take it... There are very specific high limits (that have to do with friction limits chamber temps and lubrication) that if exceedeed (even once) can trash an engine in an instant.
    Nobody should think that you can just push the envelope and get away with it. Not true at all.

BTW... many of these downshifting errors (2nd instead of 4th) have to do with poor stick handling - improper hand position for that gear change.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    You probably got the car all excited, like spanking a girl on a date!

Hmmm..I've probably been going out with the wrong kinda girl....

You are the man.

I think they're talking about the Tiptronic, ADias. I can speak for (poor) stick handling, though. Wanna know how to fry a clutch? Shift into first from the redline in second. Clutch replacement on a 944 runs about $1700, in case you're curious.

Quote:
    neunhundertelf said:
    I think they're talking about the Tiptronic, ADias.

MMD's car is a manual. The downshift overrev would never happen in a tip.

Double clutching on downshifts makes it easier to get into the correct gear. I guess it has to do with the fact that the stick returns to the home position briefly before engaging the next lowest gear. Double clutching is, however, not needed as the synchros in the 997tt are very good.

I thought that was a bit odd...
    Thanks for the clarification.

I recall reading somewhere (during the time of the CGT's press introduction) that a journalist mis-shifted and blew the clutch/transmission. Ouch. I don't even want to know what that cost.

I haven't seen a 997 manual, but my 944 manual listed ground speeds for minimum upshifts and (much more important and relevant here) maximum downshifts. It was a handy thing to read.

Quote:
    I recall reading somewhere (during the time of the CGT's press introduction) that a journalist mis-shifted and blew the clutch/transmission. Ouch. I don't even want to know what that cost.

I think it was one of the Car and Driver guys who destroyed the engine!

Quote:
    Herbaliser said:
    Quote:

I think it was one of the Car and Driver guys who destroyed the engine!

It was also them who destroyed a brand new 599 in Italy .

Thanks Guys. Wheeew. I think everything's okay. Having replayed the event in my mind about two hundred times I'm pretty sure I was AT LEAST totally on top of it after the error. A "billionth" of a second elapsed before I knew I blew it and slammed the clutch back in. I know smashing the valves into the pistons happens faster but at least I wasn't sitting there for a few "minutes" wondering what was going on.

Anyway, I learned two things (If necesssary repeat after me):

1. No hot-dogging until the gearing-habits of the C2S are completely forgotten. Just nice "slow" deliberate shifts in the TT for a few thousand miles.

2. Showing off for friends/passengers is really beneath me. When I do it (fairly rarely) I feel like a immature ADD kid later. Gives nothing but a few seconds of mutually smiling/giggling guys being bad (in a bad way) with a very expensive car. One which _I_ happen to _own_ and be responsible for, for crissakes!

Again: I am most grateful for you guys' brainpower and experience.

MMD..forget about it and enjoy your baby. If your worried have it checked out by your mechanic, but if it were me and the car feels and sounds the same...........forget about it! Have fun and drive her in good health! Cheers!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Thanks Guys. Wheeew. I think everything's okay. Having replayed the event in my mind about two hundred times I'm pretty sure I was AT LEAST totally on top of it after the error. A "billionth" of a second elapsed before I knew I blew it and slammed the clutch back in. I know smashing the valves into the pistons happens faster but at least I wasn't sitting there for a few "minutes" wondering what was going on.

Anyway, I learned two things (If necesssary repeat after me):

1. No hot-dogging until the gearing-habits of the C2S are completely forgotten. Just nice "slow" deliberate shifts in the TT for a few thousand miles.

2. Showing off for friends/passengers is really beneath me. When I do it (fairly rarely) I feel like a immature ADD kid later. Gives nothing but a few seconds of mutually smiling/giggling guys being bad (in a bad way) with a very expensive car. One which _I_ happen to _own_ and be responsible for, for crissakes!

Again: I am most grateful for you guys' brainpower and experience.

OK, now that that is behind you, I recommend a nice dry martini to celebrate your new toy. Make mine a Blue Sapphire.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774669 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440243 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262017 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84822 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879314 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814120 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM