Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

cayenneV6 is really bad.

I drove a porsche for the first time in my life: an (old) cayenne with the v6. Manual.

The car handles way better than the touareg but the engine is useless. You don't fell the 250bhp at all. I know that the car is heavy but the cayenne is so slow. And that's not even the worst part: the cayenne V6 feels like any other car. Nothing special. It was my first go in a a porsche and I was looking forward to drive it but what a disppointment it was.

It's the only porsche I've driven so far and I will have the opportunity to drive most of the 911, boxsters and cayennes in the coming days and weeks but it's not a good start. An audi A4 TDI is just as fast. It feels even more powerfull with 136bhp than the cayenne. That cayenne V6 (don't know about the 295bhp version) is made for posers who want to be able to say that they have a porsche. Sorry, but it's teh truth.

The manual wasn't so bad. I doesn't suit an SUV at all but my guess is that the tip will be even slower.

How come I have access to porsches ?: I got a summer job at D'ieteren, the company that imports porsches (and audi, VW, Seat, lambo, bentley and skoda.)

I get to drive around all day mostly in audis and vw but I get my hands on porsches too.

There are a few over there right now including a cobalt blue 997 turbo, bunch of cayennes S and turbos, a 986 and a cayman.

I'm looking forward to have a go in those too , hope I won't be disappointed as I was with the cayenne V6.

There's an S5 too. A red one. Hope I will get to drive it.

I'll keep you posted, make comparaisons, and report on the good/bad drives.

I only accepted the job ( will last a month) to have some fun. And I have plenty of that.

Re: cayenneV6 is really bad.

Sounds like a cool job! Remember to take some pics as well!!

Good luck!

Oh, does it mean rennteam members can get discounts on cars from your company then eh?

Here in Southern California, my service rep. tells me that there are a lot of buyers of the V6 model that will add the S to the badging.

I've been given the V6 as a loaner before and it has got to be one of the lamest cars ever. Under-powered doesn't describe the feeling you get when you hit the accelerator.

It's now 290 H.P. and runs much better

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    It's now 290 H.P. and runs much better

Yes. It gets the VW Passat engine .

I got a go with the boxster today. Small review in the boxster section

Quote:
    moto said:
    Sounds like a cool job! Remember to take some pics as well!!

Good luck!

Difficult to take pics as it's a job. I'm no customer who walks around with a digital camera. It would be weird to take pics.

I'll try

Quote:
    moto said:
    Oh, does it mean rennteam members can get discounts on cars from your company then eh?

I dream about that last night. Not gonna happen I'm afraid. If I get a discount on a golf, I'll be happy

First of all, when you say I drove a Porsche you have to start from a base 911 Carrera, because the SUV line is Porsche's extra cash in the bank

A Cayenne Turbo is a complete different story, you see 80km/h come up so fast compared to most of the SUV's.

Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    First of all, when you say I drove a Porsche you have to start from a base 911 Carrera, because the SUV line is Porsche's extra cash in the bank

A Cayenne Turbo is a complete different story, you see 80km/h come up so fast compared to most of the SUV's.

I can't choose the car I drive. They gave me one nd I had to drive it to its destination. It happen to be the first porsche I drove in my life.

Got a boxster yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get my hands on a 911 next week.

Quote:
    amazon said:

How come I have access to porsches ?: I got a summer job at D'ieteren, the company that imports porsches (and audi, VW, Seat, lambo, bentley and skoda.)

I get to drive around all day mostly in audis and vw but I get my hands on porsches too.

LOL, I've done the same summerjob twice.

Werkt Guy of "Guykes" daar nog? By far de lelijkste mens die ik ooit gezien heb!
    Succes nog met de sollicitatie-uitdaging Amazon!

Amazon, can you send an application form or anything to my mail-adress? Seems to be the coolest summer job you can get

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

LOL, I've done the same summerjob twice.

Werkt Guy of "Guykes" daar nog? By far de lelijkste mens die ik ooit gezien heb!
    Succes nog met de sollicitatie-uitdaging Amazon!

Dank je well !!!

I'll have a 996 cab to drive on monday if everything works out the way it's supposed to.

Hopefully, we'll have some sunshine on monday and I'll be driving the top down.

Cayenne V6 is really bad? Gimme a break... It's not intended to be a muscle car.

The Cayenne is my wife's car. It's elegant and classy, while at the same time, it's utilitarian, reliable, and has all the power she'll ever need. The bicycle rack fits the trailer hitch just fine. Does a good job of towing a trailer, too. I have no complaints. Also, she can't ever say, "You get to drive a Porsche while I have to drive this (fill in the blank)"...

Quote:
    Greentree said:
    Cayenne V6 is really bad? Gimme a break... It's not intended to be a muscle car.

The Cayenne is my wife's car. It's elegant and classy, while at the same time, it's utilitarian, reliable, and has all the power she'll ever need. The bicycle rack fits the trailer hitch just fine. Does a good job of towing a trailer, too. I have no complaints. Also, she can't ever say, "You get to drive a Porsche while I have to drive this (fill in the blank)"...

That's all fine and well if you disregard the badge the car carries. It says Porsche and no contemporary Porsche should have a 10-second 0-60 time .

Quote:
    Greentree said:

Even the Porsche reps will disagree with you. It may not have to be a muscle car but it also doesn't have to be a Dodge Caravan.

Quote:
    Even the Porsche reps will disagree with you. It may not have to be a muscle car but it also doesn't have to be a Dodge Caravan.

Yup, the Cayenne V6 really doesn't belong in the company's lineup. If the buyer is just looking for a regular car, there are certainly plenty of choices that cost less money.

c'mon guys, who are we to decide what Porsche should and shouldn't bring to the market? If it fulfills a market need then they make their money and they've done their job. If it doesn't sell then they'll stop making that particular model, period. Sales from the V6 may help finance further ground breaking research for new Porsche technology to be used on flagship models..
    Incidentally, Porsche made 150,000 of these between 1948 and 1963:
    if you thought the Cayenne V6 was 'really bad'

Quote:
    2chavs said:
    c'mon guys, who are we to decide what Porsche should and shouldn't bring to the market? If it fulfills a market need then they make their money and they've done their job. If it doesn't sell then they'll stop making that particular model, period. Sales from the V6 may help finance further ground breaking research for new Porsche technology to be used on flagship models..
    Incidentally, Porsche made 150,000 of these between 1948 and 1963:
    if you thought the Cayenne V6 was 'really bad'

we hear you but that's not the point.

It was the first porsche I drove and as any porsche fanatic, I was hoping for something spectacular enough to be out of the ordinary.

A porsche is supposed to be exceptionnal. This one is so like any other SUV that it makes you wonder why it's a porsche. If it had a VW badge on it, then fine with me. But a P badge is supposed to mean something. If a P doesn't give you a smile on your face, it should have a VW badge on the bonnet. Then I would not complain. When you go faster in an audi diesel, when you have more fun in an audi diesel (wich I had), then something's wrong.

I guess I dreamt of porsches for so long that I've put the bar so high (in my expectations) that it will never be reach. So far, with the 987 boxster and the 964 c4, I still got out of all these porsches with a bit of .. how should I put it, it's not that I was disppointed, but it felt a bit short of what I was expecting.

I Hope I'll get my hands on a 997s and a more powerfull cayenne like the S or the turbo to give it a fair review.

But as far as I'm concerned, I'd buy a simple audi A4 2.0 TDI (140bhp) over a cayenne V6. Wich would save me at least 25K and will make me more happy. It just shows you how unporsche this cayenne is. If it can't beat a simple A4 diesel in my mind, it tells me how wrong P got it here with the cayenne V6 (the 250bhp version to be precise, again, haven't tried the new one... yet... just hopping )

Wether people like the V6 or not, is not the issue. The V6 is selling well. Since it has been introduced it represents around 35-40% of total Cayenne sales... and from what I understand, Porsche was giving priority to S and TT models over V6 ones to make sure they wouldn't "flood" the market with the cheap entry level model.

Bottom line it means that a lot of Porsche buyers are not that religious about the 0-60mph performance ...

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    Wether people like the V6 or not, is not the issue. The V6 is selling well. Since it has been introduced it represents around 35-40% of total Cayenne sales... and from what I understand, Porsche was giving priority to S and TT models over V6 ones to make sure they wouldn't "flood" the market with the cheap entry level model.

Bottom line it means that a lot of Porsche buyers are not that religious about the 0-60mph performance ...

I think it just means that Porsche buyers aren't sports car buyers anymore, but yuppies .

Crash,

I believe you're correct, may be just for the Cayenne line-up.

There is still a large biais towards more "high-end" or "powerful" versions when it comes to the "sports car" line-up.

To add a bit more details:

Boxster:
    Reg: 60%
    S: 40%

Cayman:
    Reg: 35%
    S: 65%

997 (Excl. GT3 and TT)
    Reg: 30%
    S: 70%

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    Crash,

I believe you're correct, may be just for the Cayenne line-up.

There is still a large biais towards more "high-end" or "powerful" versions when it comes to the "sports car" line-up.

To add a bit more details:

Boxster:
    Reg: 60%
    S: 40%

Cayman:
    Reg: 35%
    S: 65%

997 (Excl. GT3 and TT)
    Reg: 30%
    S: 70%

Yes, I was refering mostly to the Cayenne market. Good to see that sports car sales are still driven by at least somewhat enthusiastic people .

try an 08 V6 manual with PASM and PDCC and then comment on whether the vehicle should wear the badge. there is a difference between what a P car can be and how it is actually ordered imo.

anyway to say i would rather have a 4 door sedan over a fairly large SUV really doesn't make much sense. i really don't see those as substitutable choices. they aren't comparable so why make the comment?

let's see - one is something like 2k lbs lighter; lower gravity; one has real ground clearance in the rough roads ; one has the torque of a diesel etc - etc -

It's still under-powered for its weight. (the key here is the weight of the vehicle)
    Porsche should never have made a 6 cylinder truck that was going to carry around that enormous girth.

Step up to the 8 cylinder. (and even that power isn't that great)
    Why defend Porsche? They're laughing all the way to the bank so poseurs who can't afford the 8 feel like they're stepping into a Porsche.

Next up... using older engines as replacements in lower model vehicles. Oh wait... they've already done that with the Cayman and Boxsters.

I don't think the V6 sells that well. A large # of leftover '06 cars are V6's. Most people go for the S.

Quote:
    CityRacer said:
    I don't think the V6 sells that well. A large # of leftover '06 cars are V6's. Most people go for the S.

That's incorrect. They sell really well. A lot of them are sold to first time Porsche buyers.
    Here in LA the V6 buyers like to add the 'S' emblem on the rear.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    Quote:
    CityRacer said:

That's incorrect. They sell really well. A lot of them are sold to first time Porsche buyers.
    Here in LA the V6 buyers like to add the 'S' emblem on the rear.

Not just in LA .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753373 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430853 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255510 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802049 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM