Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Future of Carrera

Hi Everyone

As porsche releases ongoing generations of the carrera with each generation recieving power increments from the 6 cylinder and as base carrera approaches curret GT3 output in near future, which direction will GT3 and Carrera Turbo head to with respect the turbo being 4 seater GT for many years and all carreras powerplant being situated to the rear. How will porsche maintain the routine?

Thank you
    Farzan

Re: Future of Carrera

There is no easy way to really say. I have only my personal assumptions and even in the factory, I am sure you would not get a specific answer.

One argument is that a 911 will only ever be a 911 if it has the layout which it has had for the last 40 years. As for power output, the RSR with a 3,8 l displacement and restricted 480 bhp shows where this engine could go. I know it is a race engine, but still. Even at the state of tune of the current GT3 engine (115 bhp per liter), enlarging it to 3,8 would take it to 437 bhp.

Power isn't everything, you know, as Ferrari says nowadays. Dropping the weight by a hundred kilos would actually do more for the whole car, and not just straight line acceleration, than putting in an extra 40 bhp, but this is expected from all future performance cars due to smog rules.

Over the years, Porsche has repeatedly shown that it wants to correct the basic physical flaw of the engine behing rear wheels (928 as well as Carrera GT and Boxster). Only time will show if they will really go ahead and make the plunge with a mid-engined 911. Right now, I don't think we are ready for it. This will really take a lot of explaining if they do go for it, finally. It won't be the next generation 911, but the one after, so roughly in 10 years.

There was a sketch on the internet last year with a new Porsche engine cooling patent and the car in the sketch had an eight cylinder engine located inside the wheelbase. I think it was even made to look like a flat-eight. Since it isn't likely that a Cayman would get an 8 cylinder and the Carrera GT replacement is too far away and should have more cylinder than 8, this could only mean a 911.

These things will take time, of course, since to the public, and right they are, when you say you drive a Porsche, everybody assumes a 911. The company knows this better than anyone, regardless of how many Cayennes they smugly sell.

Thanks MarkN - well explained and much in common with my opinion.

Whatever - I think there are lots of things out of a GT which we will see in a next 911 generation. Comparing the car with the Audi R8 you can clearly see the generations between the cars. So, I think, just bringing a stronger engine in the well known 911 construction can not be enough.

Further on, history tells us, that Porsche and VW are growing together. The Cayenne as well as the Panamerica have communalities with VW cars. Yes - the 911 is the unique Porsche, but even here we will see - especially from the electronic and component side, similarity with the VW Family. Those developments are just to cost expensive to be carried by a small manufacturer as Porasche.

Anyway - only 3 to 4 years to go and we will see whats coming next

Thanks for your input. The problem is the weight variable is kinda at its best right now and for the upcoming generations in respect to Cost & safety and im pretty sure this composition will remain static for the next few coming generations.
    The next generations Turbo & GT2 will either have to Up the displacement of the 6 with VGT turbos to eliminate the current minimal speculated lag also result in a power gain and maintain mpg or drop the 6 and in comes the 8 which will change the dynamics of the car, when that happens will the base carrera still be raving with the 6 or will it follow big daddys foot steps.

Thanks for the ackowledgement, Lars!

This whole situation really is like making a turn with the Titanic. One thing is certain. Hypothetically, if Porsche never had a 911 and was to design a great sports car, you could bet that it would come out designed like anything else modern (from McLaren F1 to Audi R8). The fact that it is so idiotically laid out is, along with the shape, the main reason why we have such a legend on our hands after all this time. Of course, it wouldn't be what it is without gradual improvement over the years.

What I think you all are missing is "no one has gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the buying public."

Porsche with the 911 is the classic case. Porsche engineers could produce a better car that would out perform and be more stylish than the 911. But they won't because the 911 has become an icon with Porschephiles and regardless of the 911 drawbacks they will continue to buy it. Thus, Porsche will continue with its incrementalism and reap the profits.

Don't look for any major changes anytime soon.

I could see, "No more 911, introducing the Mid-engined V-8 'Carrera,' plenty of luggage space too."

With the 500-600 hp models The car would be a smash hit!

I think the classic "Porschephile" who fantasized over owning a "911" when a kid is a dying breed (or at least a non-buying breed).

Nobody (i.e. the majority of actual near-poser buyers) will give a cr*p about the tear-drop shape except as a Porsche historical curiosity (_almost_ like the 928 and 944).

Why does this speculation not seem insane? Because look at the younger disloyal and more numerous _buyers_ of these cars these days, they seem to care less for FUNDEMENTAL Porsche principles of minimalist asethetics of a polished river rock and strict functionality of a single exhaust tip.

Insted Porsche is softening form-follows-function expectations with fabulous wheels, SC, quad tips, wings, wild-ranging interior decoration, engineered in-your-face engine sounds.

In short, younger buyers, mostly because of their greater numbers, have less dedication to the company's legacy. All they want is a car that everybody knows is a Porsche and has lots of rocket-ship _looks_ and public roads performance.

My bet is Porsche is strategically concerned to gradually soften younger generation's expectation of "911-Equals-Porsche" with the likes of their Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera.

It's not unreal to expect a mid-engine _replacement_ for the "Carrera" is on it's way in the next ten years. (Assuming gasoline isn't us$20 a gallon).

"If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow."

That's a great one.

Anyway, nobody suspects Porsche of not going after profits, so you are correct. It is a family-run business, after all, so the company does what the Piechs and Porsches want. Wiedeking and co. are there only to make it happen. Record-breaking profits are making them do all sorts of weird things. In this sense, you can definitely see the company splitting up into two different operations.

1. Sports car department
    2. Monstrosities department

There must be a fair amount of cynisism going around in the board rooms to make this happen. All this branding nonsense may one day get out of hand (Porsche hatchback, anyone?).

I have to agree with Nick on this one. Why mess with success? There will always be a bunch of 911 supporters that are looking for the classic 911-shape, rear engined sport car. The ones that get bored can always move on to other mid or front-engined cars. But one thing that nobody can or want to change, is the long successful icon image of a 911. For a 911 to maintain its image and history, it will have to remain rear engined and coke-bottled shape. If you change it to mid-engined, it becomes a Cayman variant. Change it to front-engined and it becomes a 928 variant.

My personal hope is that the Panamera is a resounding success and "steals" all the current 911 customers who would really prefer that the 911 be a softer "GT" style car. With Porsche better able to satisfy those customers with their Panamera offerings the 911 can start to shed weight and bloat and Porsche will feel less urgency to keep mindlessly adding horsepower to the car.

Heavier and more powerful is the wrong direction for the 911 to go and perhaps the Panamera can help prevent that.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    My personal hope is that the Panamera is a resounding success and "steals" all the current 911 customers who would really prefer that the 911 be a softer "GT" style car. With Porsche better able to satisfy those customers with their Panamera offerings the 911 can start to shed weight and bloat and Porsche will feel less urgency to keep mindlessly adding horsepower to the car.

Heavier and more powerful is the wrong direction for the 911 to go and perhaps the Panamera can help prevent that.

Totally agree.

I think I could be classified as a younger buyer. I bought my first Porsche when I was 28. A Boxster. My second Porsche at 30. A Boxster S. My third at 35. A 2006 997S. I could have purchased a 911 sooner but I wanted a modern new one and I didn't like the 996 look. I have always wanted a 911. Now that I have one my next one will probably be an older SC or Carrera 3.2. I am worried that "my" 911 will cease to exist and morph into something other than a rear engined car. The 911 is 40 years old but it shares the same basic layout and shape as the 356. So the classic Porsche layout goes further back than the 911. I truly hope Porsche continues to offer a "911" with classic shape and rear engine for many generations of 911 to come. Otherwise I'll have to keep my current one and snap up a classic.

Porsche will do its market research, bring out new models to satisfy market sectors critical to its survival and growth, and if - and that's a really big IF - its research shows a waning demand for the 911, it will gradually phase it out or make it a mid-engined car with, likely, a flat 8.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on it happening, as I suspect a new breed of buyers will come along willing to "buy the icon." As long as they are able to make significant engineering improvements (over an 8-10 year period) in the icon, I think they'll continue to produce the car.

Jim

Thought Experiment:

If the Cayman got a "major" redesign and got a bit more masculine-yet-refined looking and had a 500 HP V8 and cost us$100K: I'd forget about the 911 forever.

How about you?

Oh..., they would have to change the Cayman's freaky name and, while they're at it, figure out how to add a bit more luggage space and the 911's successor is a _definite_ winner.

_My_ 911 loyalty ain't that big a deal. I'm a garden variety Porschephile; I even owned a 911T when I was a 24 yo

Today Porsche is working really hard to protect the 911 from the other Porsche models ruining the 911's sales (by HP limitations and whatever).

What does that tell you?

Tells me the 911 is being protected until it no longer deserves such protection as far as sales/profits projections are concerned with their other models.

When I picked up my GT3 I had a lengthly discussion of the future of various Porsches.

The future of the Cayman and the Boxster is nebulous at best. I can see them dropping the Boxster, but with the recent introduction of the Cayman, one would expect it to be around for a while, as long as sales/profit support it, but rumour has it, it may go too.

The future of the whole entire 911 line will be trimmed down. They will make at least one variant with high horsepower and performance, lightweight and essentially a machine for the track, with a price to match (think GT2 range). Whether they will make a more "civilized version" will probably depend on market demand, and if there is money to be made. In other words there will definitely be one "future 911", but whether there will be more or not is unknown.

It sounds like they want to focus on new ventures, and get back some of the radical high performance mystique they had back in the 1990's and earlier.

Many have complained that Porsche has just gotten "too soft", but I guess where they go all depends on where the market forces them.

Quote:
    NeverFastEnough said:The future of the Cayman and the Boxster is nebulous at best. I can see them dropping the Boxster, but with the recent introduction of the Cayman, one would expect it to be around for a while, as long as sales/profit support it, but rumour has it, it may go too.

This doesn't make any sense to me. It's difficult to imagine the fates of these two cars not being forever linked, since they're fundamentally the same car. If Porsche is making Caymans then they can keep making Boxsters too for relatively little additional, incremental cost. As long as there's any measurable market there's no incentive to drop either car if they're not going to stop making both.

There's certainly a market for a convertible Porsche that isn't a 911 and I don't see that changing.

Quote:
    It sounds like they want to focus on new ventures, and get back some of the radical high performance mystique they had back in the 1990's and earlier.

I don't think I'd describe Porsche's reputation as "radical high performance" at any point in its history and most certainly not during the '90s. At least in my mind Porsche's mystique has always been about efficient engineering and finding the proper balance of compromises. Even the flagship Carrera GT didn't seem to be a grasp at "radical", at least not in an ostentatious Ferrari or Bugatti Veyron way.

Nugget,

Ya I thought the same thing when my dealer told me about the Cayman and Boxster as well, but he really did make it sound like Porsche had lost interest in them and there was not much future for them. Odd I know especially considering the Cayman is really not that old.

It would be strange also with respect to the fact that if the future of the 911 will be so limited and so expensive, then what will be left from which people will choose?? I really cannot see current 911 owners trading in their cars for a "hopped up" Cayman (if available) or a Panamera, if 911's were not available.

My analogy to the 1990's and earlier may not have been accurate, but I think that Porsche lost some of their uniqueness maybe with the 996 which many old Porschephiles thought was too "soft" and prospective new buyers may have thought was "not enough" considering what other car companies had to offer.

My dealer really got the impression that Porsche was very happy with the success of the GT3/RS and their successes in racing, and that they wanted to capitalize upon that, and take whatever coupes, cabs, sedans or SUV's they produce in the future in that direction.

I would expect though that they would still have to worry about "the bottom line" and have to appeal to the "mass market" and have something to offer, other than that "extreme" (radical probably not the right word) or race-oriented automobiles.

Okay..., I have a question.

What's driving these car companies forward in their competition to develop, mfgr and sell cars?

I _thought_ it was the "Horsepower Wars."

Since the road-warrentied flat 6 has reached it's max at a Turbocharged 500hp (expensive) what happens after that?

Porsche will be forced to use a (cheaper?) V8 right?

Since a V8 won't ever be in a rear engine configuration that means the 911's days are limited.

So..., if you believe the Horsepower Wars is a reality then the 911's days are numbered.

Is this logical? Does it make _any_ sense?

I don't think the horse power war make any sense, having 500 or so HP can be enough or very much if you can use technology to limit the weight of the car.

I think I would really like to more weight reduction in 911 series. The limitation of a rear engine car is there, no doubt about it. But I think most of us here do not only have 1 car to drive.

I think Porsche should contiune to build cars in front or mid engine configuration and the compeitition needs to be focus on other manufacturers for better and faster cars. Concerning about models that will over take 911s will only limit Porsche as a whole.

I think people will always have feelings for 911 as it is one of the oldest sports car around that maintains its overall shape and configurations throught all these years.

So, I will have to say the future of the Carrera is still going to be rear engine and rear wheel drive...

There's nothing wrong with a 400hp 911 that couldn't be solved by making it weigh 300lbs less. Focusing on more and more horsepower is just the "easy" solution that satisfies the marketing department and excites buyers who don't look beyond the last page of the model brochure when they're comparing cars.

The "horsepower war" is a sadly misguided effort aimed at an ignorant marketplace which has little to no connection to any reasoned quest for performance improvement. More horsepower may sell more cars, but it sure as hell doesn't lead to better cars or even better performance.

Even Ferrari has figured this out and we can certainly hope that Porsche does too (and soon). Let the numbers-focused buyers flock to the Panamera and let the performance-focused buyers continue choosing cars from the test drive and not from a spreadsheet.

Remember, at the end of the day the goal is for a better-performing car, not a more powerful car.

Exactly, Nugget.

What Porsche will do does not depend entirely on what it wants to do, but also on what the competition will be doing. This is rather like planning to spend some sofa time watching old racing videos and then finding out that your better half wants to go out. You will always have to adjust your plans with what the competition is doing.

There is a huge scope of things that influence planning at this level, and the company still doesn't have a clear idea of what the competition is planning on doing in five years time. They are always searching for the balance between staying on top for the least amount of investment.

Just imagine all the wonderful cars that are lined up for the next five years. You don't really have to be in a position to actually buy the next generation Pagani or whatever, but just the fact of its existence raises requirements even for a comparably mundane 911.

What I want to say is, Porsche may have something in mind, but will have to comply with what others out there will be doing as well.

If lighter weight and better power/weight ratios are waiting for us, that is something to be happy about.

Never confuse BHP with the ability to lay that power on the road/track.

Geez, I hope I'm remembering correctly because I think Alain Decadenet in his Porsche video said the "ideal" car would have 600 hp per ton. He's talking about road cars, right?

I dunno how much credence people put in him but if there's any at all, and if he's also referring to road cars it seems there's alot more HP waiting in the wings to be stuffed into these cars to make them ideal.

But wait..it's really about weight

If ferrari, lamborghini, lotus etc can build sports cars by taking weight out to make them faster why not Porsche?

Porsche can start by taking a good 100kg's out,and charging a not unreasonable $15K for privilage (still cheaper than X51).

Light pressure twin turbo's would help and obvious work for BMW. Lighter engine parts, ceramic brakes, CF body panels and major structural components in AL would go a long way to achieving that.

Which would you rather have a faster, better handling car that weighs less, or another 100hp and a car that resembles the old 300Z? No contest!

As long as Porsche can find ways to take weight out the 911 will live. When they can't or won't do that it will be time for the old girl to be taken out to the woodshed on a one way ticket.

Re: But wait..it's really about weight

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    If ferrari, lamborghini, lotus etc can build sports cars by taking weight out to make them faster why not Porsche?

Porsche can start by taking a good 100kg's out,and charging a not unreasonable $15K for privilage (still cheaper than X51).

Light pressure twin turbo's would help and obvious work for BMW. Lighter engine parts, ceramic brakes, CF body panels and major structural components in AL would go a long way to achieving that.

Which would you rather have a faster, better handling car that weighs less, or another 100hp and a car that resembles the old 300Z? No contest!

As long as Porsche can find ways to take weight out the 911 will live. When they can't or won't do that it will be time for the old girl to be taken out to the woodshed on a one way ticket.

Good points. Porsche is being targeted by Corvette - note the Model Year '08 improvement in the steering that reportedly (and I say reportedly) makes it feel more like a Porsche. Porsche either has to figure out a way to cut the weight or add horsepower (as MMD said) to the 911, without massive price increases, or they will see their market deteriorate as others add improvements onto their cars that make them more like the 911 in overall performance and ride.

Jim

Quote:
    SimpleSkin said:
    I think I could be classified as a younger buyer. I bought my first Porsche when I was 28. A Boxster. My second Porsche at 30. A Boxster S. My third at 35. A 2006 997S. I could have purchased a 911 sooner but I wanted a modern new one and I didn't like the 996 look. I have always wanted a 911. Now that I have one my next one will probably be an older SC or Carrera 3.2. I am worried that "my" 911 will cease to exist and morph into something other than a rear engined car. The 911 is 40 years old but it shares the same basic layout and shape as the 356. So the classic Porsche layout goes further back than the 911. I truly hope Porsche continues to offer a "911" with classic shape and rear engine for many generations of 911 to come. Otherwise I'll have to keep my current one and snap up a classic.

I got my first Porsche, a 944, when I was 19 (my brother got a 928S at 16) and my first 911, a 3.2 Carrera, at 24. Afterwards, I had a Ferrari 328 GTS, a Testarossa, a 944 Turbo, a 996 C4S, a 968 and, finally, another 911 3.2 Carrera (a 1987 model) and a 2006 997S with X51 and Aerokit (to offend those who think it's for poseurs) at 38. Does that qualify me as a younger buyer too?

How about getting real?

Most buyers use Pcars for the street and only the street.

I can't drive like an ahole using about 400 hp on the local twisty back roads, so I don't need a Porsche which handles like a dream there.

I DO drive fast (and brake fast for cops ) on the interstate and I do use lots of HP for limited passing opportunities on narrow twisty rural highways.

This means I'd love a 500 600 hp mid-engined Porsche that handled very well (not necessarily brilliantly) so it _could_ be on the heavy side... .

If Porsche came out with a V8 or V10 600+hp "poor man's CGT" for about us$100-150K (with more room for luggage and comfort) I'd be out of my mind happy and, again, forget all about the 911.

They can keep making their brilliantly handling GT3s for track guys.

I hope Porsche someday invents a car for you, MMD. With any luck it'll have monochromatic tail lights and your brain will explode with satisfaction. I still completely fail to understand why it matters the literal number of horsepower a car has when what really matters is how fast the car goes, but that's the great thing about choice -- Life would be so very boring if we all had the same opinions.

I do think you're underestimating what a drag it is to drive a heavy car and how much of a detriment it can be, even on the public roads.

You say "I'd put up with a heavy car if it means I can have 600HP" and I say you don't need 600HP if you don't have a heavy car, so why head down that road at all?

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I hope Porsche someday invents a car for you, MMD. With any luck it'll have monochromatic tail lights and your brain will explode with satisfaction. I still completely fail to understand why it matters the literal number of horsepower a car has when what really matters is how fast the car goes, but that's the great thing about choice -- Life would be so very boring if we all had the same opinions.

I do think you're underestimating what a drag it is to drive a heavy car and how much of a detriment it can be, even on the public roads.

You say "I'd put up with a heavy car if it means I can have 600HP" and I say you don't need 600HP if you don't have a heavy car, so why head down that road at all?

I dunno, I'm sorry getting carried away and overstating things, I'm just shooting the sh*t, as they say.

Basically all I'm saying is it would be nice if Porsche dumped the flat 6 and developed a mid-engined V8(?) successor to the 911. There'd be amazing things they could do.

Why dump the flat 6? Because there's a HP/tq/reliability wall that the're about to hit, isn't there?

But nooooooooooooo, it seems (to us at least) they feel they have to hold onto the 911 in order to survive.

Or _DO_THEY_?

IMO, I could care less what's next for the 911, as long as it's faster, lighter and better handling that the one I have now. Stick a freaking steam engine in the back and I'm happy, as long as it meets thoes parameters. That being said, a little improvement in the looks department would be nice.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810481 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451037 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91420 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8222 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889665 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844612 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM