Re: Dino Prototype Pictures

NO WAY!

That is a 599.

Quote:
    koko said:
    NO WAY!

That is a 599.

No. That's indeed the upcoming Dino/California GT in a 599-shell.

Oh I see. No wonder the front wheel offset looks so weird. So it isn't an indication of how it is going to look then? Actually how do we know this isn't the 430 replacement?

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Oh I see. No wonder the front wheel offset looks so weird. So it isn't an indication of how it is going to look then? Actually how do we know this isn't the 430 replacement?

Other than the engine being not behind the passengers?

Quote:
    shin said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Other than the engine being not behind the passengers?

Correct. The 430-replacement has already been tested, in a F430-shell.

So we can tell from the pics that the Dino will be much narrower than the 599 (which is logical), but the wheelbase looks very similar to a 599? I say this based on the fact that the 599 shell does not appear to have been shortened or lenghten. Can those more familiar with the 599 than myself please comment on this? Thanks.

Isn't that the 599? I cannot conceive that Ferrari will introduce an entry level car that almost looks like their top of the line car. They are not Porsche.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Isn't that the 599? I cannot conceive that Ferrari will introduce an entry level car that almost looks like their top of the line car. They are not Porsche.

+ 1

Quote:
    nberry said:

It's just the 599 shell. They are testing the chassis.

BTW, in the article it says that according to rumours the car will be named just "Dino" -- without "Ferrari". And that they are going to build approx 4,000 units/yr at the Maserati plant in Modena from 2009.

Hm, IMO these are outdated rumours though. According to my sources the car will by all means be branded as a real Ferrari and they are planning to build between 5,000 - 10,000 cars/yr.

there is an interesting thread on ferrari-chat about this same car when the photo's first posted. it is under the 599 section. someone noted the area front of the front wheel being much larger than a typical 599. somebody took this "dino" photo and gridded it next to two 599 photo's and the front overhang is a good 6 in + longer than a 599

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I cannot conceive that Ferrari will introduce an entry level car that almost looks like their top of the line car.

At least you can console yourself with the thought, that you won't drive an entry level Ferrari anymore

I'm sure the real thing won't look like a 599 at all. I hope they manage to give the Dino (or whatever the name will be) a smaller chassis compared to the F430 - not because to distinct an "entry level Ferrari" from his bigger brothers but just because I like small sportscars and I guess there are more carnuts who think the same. IMO such a car would be an excellent fit for Ferrari's line-up.
    Of course I know it will kill the exclusivity factor and will turn Ferrari into just another mass manufacturer

I like this entire idea. With the 430's performance & with the 430's successor to have even more blistering performance. Ferrari needs a real "entry" level car with about 400-450 hp & it should stay between those hp #s.

In the recent issue of CAR Magazine and Motor Trend, Montezemolo was interviewed and here is what he said

"Future Ferraris, he says, will be safer, more economical, and able to run alternative fuels--though not diesel. And he won't make an SUV "We have no credibility there, we are not Porsche.....And he won't build an entry-level car. "used cars are our entry cars. WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANY DINO. NO WAY. OR A SMALL OR CHEAP FERRARI...WHAT DO YOU MEAN SMALL? LESS TECHNOLOGY. LESS INNOVATION....NO,NO,NO.I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT STORY CAME OUT. I DENY IT."

If Ferrari comes out with an entry level car or a Dino, his reputation will be great tarnished. I doubt very much he would do that.

BTW see how careful he is in qualifying the small car reference. I am convinced the 430 replacement will be smaller and possibly lighter.

I guess the F430 successor will move upmarket and the 'Dino' will be the replacement in the F430 price range.
    That way it wouldn't be a cheap Ferrari.

They also said a Ferrari should have no less than 400hp. There will be a LOT of room between the 430 successor and 400hp. Way too much room. In price also, with the next 430 touching $200k, a $150k F would not be considered as cheap...

They will introduce another car, it makes so much sense that it would be a company management error not to do it.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

It's just the 599 shell. They are testing the chassis.

BTW, in the article it says that according to rumours the car will be named just "Dino" -- without "Ferrari". And that they are going to build approx 4,000 units/yr at the Maserati plant in Modena from 2009.

Hm, IMO these are outdated rumours though. According to my sources the car will by all means be branded as a real Ferrari and they are planning to build between 5,000 - 10,000 cars/yr.

Would be great if Dino is 10K/yr produc vol ....greater produc vols may allow F to develop greater engineering/crash-testing expertise (and increased real-world crash data) to solve its currently dubious passive safety tech.....

The F exclusivity argument is absurd....even dentists in SF now daily-drive 599s

95%+ of guys w/real resources are not car guys anyway and resist any >$100K car; so any mfr needs to be able to sell as many units profitably (at a workable price point) to the relatively lim segment of mkt willing to pay $150K+ for any car, let alone a lim-use wkend, fair-weather-only car....

Pricing and sales vols targets for any $150K+ car are difficult marketing strategy questions in any mkt in world, incl US....esp if the US F 100% resale value Ponzi scheme unwinds....which may occur upon Dino intro....

Yea, but Luca says there'll be no cheap Dino....

If what you think is correct,then his statements would be misleading and deceiving. Doesn't help his image.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    In the recent issue of CAR Magazine and Motor Trend, Montezemolo was interviewed and here is what he said

"Future Ferraris, he says, will be safer, more economical, and able to run alternative fuels--though not diesel. And he won't make an SUV "We have no credibility there, we are not Porsche.....And he won't build an entry-level car. "used cars are our entry cars. WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANY DINO. NO WAY. OR A SMALL OR CHEAP FERRARI...WHAT DO YOU MEAN SMALL? LESS TECHNOLOGY. LESS INNOVATION....NO,NO,NO.I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT STORY CAME OUT. I DENY IT."

If Ferrari comes out with an entry level car or a Dino, his reputation will be great tarnished. I doubt very much he would do that.

Easy:
    Car will not be called Dino. Ferrari California GT seems very likely to me.
    Car will not be small, if you small like a Boxster for example. It will share the technology used in cars like the Alfa Romeo 8C for example, what means around 460hp from a V8 very similar to that of the F430. So neither less technology, nor less innovation.
    And the car won't be cheap by no means. With the F430 successor moving upwards, there's plenty of room for a car in the 12o to 140k Euro area, which isnt't really that cheap, right?

Stefan, the implication of building a Dino or whatever they call it is to say there will be a car built by Ferrari under its brand that will be somewhat less than the 430. I believe that is what he is denying.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Stefan, the implication of building a Dino or whatever they call it is to say there will be a car built by Ferrari under its brand that will be somewhat less than the 430. I believe that is what he is denying.

But the Dino/California GT already exists and pictures of it have already been shown to some customers.

So the 430 will be the last of the 8-cylinder, lower production F's. This newer car will double production. It was good while it lasted

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    So the 430 will be the last of the 8-cylinder, lower production F's. This newer car will double production. It was good while it lasted

We all don't know, if the successor of the F430 will have a V10. If it still will be a V8, you still have a low production V8 Ferrari.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

But the Dino/California GT already exists and pictures of it have already been shown to some customers.

Then Luca is flat out lying. Not good for any CEO.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Then Luca is flat out lying. Not good for any CEO.

Reminds me when Aston Martin executives adamantly denied it was for sale, two weeks after that denial it was sold.

Was that not good?

It's a matter of semantics. No Dino i.e. it will be called the California GT or something other than Dino. No cheap Ferrari i.e. cheap and Ferrari can never be used in the same sentence anyway. It's all about the wording in a Bill Clinton sorta way

i think it looks pretty sweeet.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689655 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409301 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255784 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235009 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65535 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858066 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774106 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM