Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: In the ditch with GT3

Dear Gnil, i don't doubt your brother won't be happy, but when a person gives his nearly new car to his brother to take it for a drive, it must be a man with a golden heart, so unlike not beeing happy he'll understand... get the car fixed ASAP and the incident will soon be forgotten...

Thankfully your safe and the car damage appears to be minimal. I am curious as to why you would want to play with a Yamaha R1 on a road with several curves?

Glad to hear you are OK Gnil!
    It could have been worse... if the car would have caught with a curb or something and given sufficient inertia it could have flipped over and then you could have been seriouly injured. These things happen and could have happened to everyone especially with a GT3 and not having time to getting used to it.

No electronic stability, very grippy stiff tires which aren't very progressive (when they go they go quickly), very direct steering, instant-direct throttle, RWD only, etc... it all contributes to making it very difficult to control early enough when it goes without you expecting it (i.e. non-intentional and at the limit), and if you only had one hour with the car then you did well enough to avoid spinning and posibly smashing the rear (engine) and only hit the side.

The GT3 is an awsome trackday car, and great street car, but for twisty public roads nothing beats the -20mm rear diff, PSM equipped, CarreraS, and with your AWD even more manageable and effective. If it had been the other way around and it was your brother that grabbed instead your C4S-20mm, and did what you did, most likely nothing would of happened and probably would have been even faster with it than with his GT3 in that scenario.

Good to hear you are OK.

Having to deal with a car insurance company is still a better situation to be in than talking to your health insurance company.

Hi Gnil, main thing is that you are fine and that nobody else was hurt! A car can always be fixed or replaced. So, hang in there!

Gnil, glad you didn't get hurt.

It's just damaged sheet metal. Your brother may be pissed and try to kill you if you tell him that , but at the end of the day you managed to get out of it unhurt and that's all that matters.

Wow, another lesson learnt ! Good to hear though that you didn't get hurt. I hope the repair costs won't be too high.

I do have a question here: what did gnil do wrong to end up in the ditch.

As far as I know, he didn't break, but accelerated gently to get the back end in the line.

What are you supposed to do to keep the car in control?

I don't know if you guys remember but, a year ago, someone posted a vid of a red 996 GT3 accident on the nurburg. The guy had lost the back end of the car, didn't seemed to have hit the brakes, and had end up on the roof. You guys remember that vid? It looked like what gnil experience here.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    My description of the incident is not accurate.
    When I lost the back, I first countersteered and then only put some more throttle ( so used to drive my AWD)... to loose the back the other side, countersteered again, stabilised the throttle to loose the back again on the other side.

My first counter steer was too strong, I guess the second one too, specially with the very precise and direct steering of the GT3, just a little countersteer would of been enough and then keeping the steering wheel straight, but..... like some said, all that happened in a fraction of seconds with a car I have driven about one hour.
    A good lesson for me.
    Of course PSM would of saved me, but if I reach the point where PSM kicks in....I made a mistake.
    I feel that the AWD setting is easier to handle when coming out of corners. The front will help the back when needed. With RWD one needs to be much more smooth and progressive ( which I did not do )
    Man I am angry at myself !!!!
    My Bro is on holidays, told him about it, not happy, but understands and glad I am ok...

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you are okay and that your brother is understanding.

For someone like me, a first-time owner (a 997S, rear wheel drive), it means that until I really learn the handling of the car in stressful situations, I shouldn't disengage the PSM (the yaw control). And I should be careful if I drive a Porsche 911 that is significantly different from mine.

I could see the same thing happening to me unless I am careful.

Jim

Agree....lack of personal injury is all that really matters....rest is easily replaceable....

That said, wouldn't ever drive a post-collision repair car....IMO, too many safety unknowns once factory-spec/build is stressed w/poss micro-damage that may manifest in future situations....

Absolutely enjoy the many risk/reward decisions in both daily/wkend driving.....choice of car; its poss active/passive safety attributes; choice of route; precise/fast/safe driving style; rxn to emergent situations, etc....e.g., emergent deceleration on busy urban fwy...how to calibrate own powerful brakes vs the risk of being rear-ended by the clueless SUV driver following who likely has inept brakes/handling, even if driver is attentive....

Suspect driving on public roads (poss bumpy/wet/many inept fellow drivers, etc) entails rather different set/sense of risks/unknowns vs track driving....

You are all so positive...

I drove too fast ! Bigest mistake .
    But the mistake after, was to put too much throttle , too soon, when coming out of that corner. I had also sports mode on, and the road was in the forest, so the tarmac was probably also greasy.

Amazon : I remember well that vid. I don't know exactly how I could of saved the car. I think that my countersteer was too strong, specially with the GT3 that is so razor sharp precise and direct. A smallcounter steer and then block the steering wheel straight would of, maybe, put the car back on track

Nick..the R1 had no chances in the previous curbs

My bro is but forgives me too
    The bad thing is that on the 4th of sept we are going to the N-Ring and the car can not be fixed completly by then but it will drive..

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Dear Gnil, i don't doubt your brother won't be happy, but when a person gives his nearly new car to his brother to take it for a drive, it must be a man with a golden heart, so unlike not beeing happy he'll understand...

Absolutely share your opinion, afterall you seem to have a wonderful brother. You should take some special time for his christmas present this year.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Thankfully your safe and the car damage appears to be minimal. I am curious as to why you would want to play with a Yamaha R1 on a road with several curves?

Because there wouldn't be much to it in a straight line?

Quote:
    beltar said:
    Dear Gnil, i don't doubt your brother won't be happy, but when a person gives his nearly new car to his brother to take it for a drive, it must be a man with a golden heart, so unlike not beeing happy he'll understand... get the car fixed ASAP and the incident will soon be forgotten...

Cheers mate for the golden heart.
    What a holliday for me. Yesterday evening i've been left on the street by my girlfriend with my luggage. let's take it cool and remember this:
    Forgiveness is the serenity of accepting the thing's we cannot change.
    Don't Know if it makes sense.
    Taking an new flight as planed because anyway here in Shangai, nothing left for me.
    Well the pics were much nicer last week and the Bro will still be my Bro but without christmas gifts
    Glad you're ok and we can all learn from it

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    beltar said:
    Dear Gnil, i don't doubt your brother won't be happy, but when a person gives his nearly new car to his brother to take it for a drive, it must be a man with a golden heart, so unlike not beeing happy he'll understand...

Absolutely share your opinion, afterall you seem to have a wonderful brother. You should take some special time for his christmas present this year.

We'll see how things go but i think the worst feeling in all that is when you have been doing something against your whil and that you can only say i did it.

the feeling stays and it's not a confortable feeling. the car will get repair and then will go again like in the begin.

So anyway as said before no one get engered and that's what it counts.

So i'm gone go to the airport and wait for my flight because here in Shangai i can't handle it anymore.

I' m off to Australia, ASAP

Quote:
    Cram said:

What a holliday for me. Yesterday evening i've been left on the street by my girlfriend with my luggage.

That's no good news either

Take care mate!

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Cram said:

What a holliday for me. Yesterday evening i've been left on the street by my girlfriend with my luggage.

That's no good news either

Take care mate!

Cheers mate

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764601 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436654 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261118 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82689 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877014 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809112 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM