Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Performanca data 550HP RUF 997TT TIP

unfortunately I think we are going to find out that an ecu flashed GT2 is not going to make any more power than an ecu flashed TT (with exhaust). The flashed GT2 might be a little faster in the midrange due to weight advantages, but it will probably be the same in the lower range with the TT's AWD offsetting the GT2's launch control, and the high end the TT's better Cd will probably keep it very close to the Gt2.

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    You dont need wires... Checkk it out here...
    http://www.performancebox.co.uk/

Ok thx Nick, just ordered one

Started a new thread on this performancebox topic:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=375480&an=0&page=0#375480

Hopefully someone can provide me some insight. Thanks

Quote:
    LukasLuis said:
    RC,

A standard turbo needs 20.5 secs appx from 0-250 km/h. Not 25 secs, unless there is a problem with it...

I suppose you're referring to the Nardo test where the 997 Turbo did 0-250 kph in 20.7 seconds.

This is where I need to clarify things a little bit:
    the tested 997 Turbo was in a pretty good shape (0-200 kph in 12.3 seconds with manual), the 0-300 kph time of 40.7 seconds is also a clear sign for that.

The "usual" 0-250 kph times are in the 22-23 seconds range, the 0-300 kph time in the 42-43 seconds range.
    The 0-250 kph time I "measured" wasn't too good, simply because I used the chrono sport watch and I didn't use a forced acceleration from standstill. It was just a comparison to have a clue about the difference between manual and Tiptronic.

However: the AMS times (Nardo) of 20.7 and 40.7 seconds are VERY good numbers, most stock Turbos won't reach them, at least not with manual.

Most 0-300 kph times I saw for the Carrera GT were in the 31 seconds range. Never saw an OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED (certified equipment, etc.) time below 30 seconds, sorry.

I'm afraid that although the performance box is a nice toy, it isn't something perfectly accurate. Professional equipment (like the one Sport Auto is using) starts at around 2000 Euro and more, not at 400. It is also MANDATORY to use the external antenna for the Performance Box, using the built-in antenna may not deliver accurate results, even in cars without anti-UV windshields.

Getting back to the performance times claimed by some people: a 997 Turbo doing 0-300 kph in 35 seconds? IMPOSSIBLE. When I mentioned this to "somebody" who should know the development testing results, he started laughing and the only word he said was CRAP.

I also think that the RUF 550 HP kit allows the 997 Turbo to hit 0-300 kph below 35 seconds, there is no doubt about it. The real question is: does such a tuned car hit Carrera GT territory (31-32 seconds) or not? We may do a real life comparison if me, CR and maybe Lukas find the time to do that but right now, although the RUF kit seems to delivery an impressive performance, don't believe everything you're hearing from other people or reading on the internet.

Btw: the new 997 GT2 is rumoured to hit 0-300 kph in "slightly" above (worse) Carrera GT performance. This means to me around 33-34 seconds. You may realize now that a 0-300 kph time of 35 seconds for a stock 997 Turbo is absolutely impossible.

As a last word: if the RUF 550 HP kit is really that good and offers a 0-300 kph performance of 32 seconds or so, FORGET about tuning your 997 Turbo further. 32 seconds are fantastic, it isn't worth it to highly modify your car for a couple of seconds less. The RUF rt12 (high power version) does impressive 25-27 seconds from 0-300 kph and beats almost all cars on the street with the exception of the Bugatti Veyron maybe. There isn't much "air" for improvement in that speed range, so you better save your money or you go immediately for a rt12 instead to get the real deal.

For those who are thinking about modding the new GT2: don't forget that this car is aprox. 150 kg lighter than the 997 Turbo and it also lacks the AWD. Meaning: such a modded car may have serious problems to put the additional power/torque on the street. Not worth the risk.

Finally, I think that the Tiptronic 997 Turbo profits a lot from RUF's 550 HP kit. With such power and torque, one gear less than manual is actually an advantage in terms of straightline performance. Not to mention the fact that in the lower speed range below 200 kph, the Tiptronic rocks.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Btw: the new 997 GT2 is rumoured to hit 0-300 kph in "slightly" above (worse) Carrera GT performance. This means to me around 33-34 seconds. .

RC, Depends where your "rumour" is from
    If it is from real Porsche sources then they reckon that the CGT does 0-300kph in ~27s so the GT2 could be under 30s (on their test track) ?

im sure the 997TT after 15,000km with good driver can bring 35 s (0-300) .. all the tests i do it is right (c6z06 100-300=41.9s) (RS4 0-200=17s) (bently C GT 1/4 mile=13.2) (gallardo with exhaust 100-300=40.1) ..

RC, Depends where your "rumour" is from
    If it is from real Porsche sources then they reckon that the CGT does 0-300kph in ~27s so the GT2 could be under 30s (on their test track) ?

i agree .. the CGT can do it

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

No way. Just consider the follwoing:

- longer gearing than 997TT (top-speed 329kph)
    - worse CwxA coefficient (disadvantage at higher speeds)
    - just 50hp more than 997TT

My guess is somewhere around 35s.

Quote:
    CGT1178 said:
    im sure the 997TT after 15,000km with good driver can bring 35 s (0-300)

You seem to be in minority, though

Just think logical: how (physically speaking) should a 35s time be possible if a regular time is 41-43s? You need an additional 70hp or so (on top of the 480hp of the 997TT) to get there. A car with such power would never leave the Porsche factory as the deviation from the claimed hp number would be illegal (!) under German law

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CGT1178 said:

Just think logical: how (physically speaking) should a 35s time be possible if a regular time is 41-43s? You need an additional 70hp or so (on top of the 480hp of the 997TT) to get there. A car with such power would never leave the Porsche factory as the deviation from the claimed hp number would be illegal (!) under German law

it`s not important to persude every one .. i tryed the performace box with the stock 997TT 2 times and the number was 35 s and im sure that the performance box is very accurate .. the different will be not more than .1-.2 second

Quote:
    CGT1178 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    CGT1178 said:

it`s not important to persude every one .. i tryed the performace box with the stock 997TT 2 times and the number was 35 s and im sure that the performance box is very accurate .. the different will be not more than .1-.2 second

Maybe the tested car was not standard and tuned to a higher hp figure... The owner might just have told you that the car was standard?

no way i know him well .. the boost was 1.1-1.0-0.9 and 1.2 some time .. no exhaust no airfilter ..

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

No way. Just consider the follwoing:

- longer gearing than 997TT (top-speed 329kph)
    - worse CwxA coefficient (disadvantage at higher speeds)
    - just 50hp more than 997TT

My guess is somewhere around 35s.

MKSGR
    I was commenting on RC's source rather than the numbers -if it was a Porsche employee who believed the ~27s mantra then if it was that person's rumour then he may mean under 30s

My guess for the 997GT2 is 32s - I'll spread bet you

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

You probably also believe in Santa Clause

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

How COULD I resist?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

How COULD I resist?

Crash, I am guessing from the infantile "owned" pic you posted that you are young ?
    How many cars have you had built and tested personally which hit 300kph in close to 30s ?
    Maybe you should save the "owned" until the numbers come out ?
    The spread bet offer is still open if you have any student grant cash left ?

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Crash, I am guessing from the infantile "owned" pic you posted that you are young ?
    How many cars have you had built and tested personally which hit 300kph in close to 30s ?

Judging from your hastily-written and overly-offensive response I would think that you are young (at least younger than I think you must be). That being said, the post wasn't even targeting you directly, so you can put away the armory and try acting your age, instead of calling out passers-by.

Crash anyone can see that you were referring to him, go back to page 4 last post. Too bad this personal stuff gets in the middle of good debates.

RC if you may answer a few questions that I have:

- When you say normal range is 41-43 seconds for the 997TT, this is based on which information? How many tests that you know of, on how many cars and with what tools please? This will help establish an average or trend.

- While the professional GPS based datalogging equipment used by *some* magazines is obviously better, if used properly, the more inexpensive versions are just as accurate by any count. There are also ways to easily check for the accuracy of the data once it has been recorded.

- I agree concerning the different testing conditions, however this applies to both magazines and users of amateur tools. Porsche has claimed sub 30s for the CGT, that sounds quite official, so I would think that they can stand behind their numbers. Less rolling resistence and favourable weather conditions could be a factor, and I am sure they can repeat the numbers.

Separately, the reason we see different 0-200 kph times from different magazines is not really an indicator if a tested TT is faster than the other more likely a) because of the launch times and b) because some of the magazines have shifted before reaching 200kph, which is right at the limiter, and therefore needed one additional shift to get to 200 kph. One gear shift more, would make a difference of 0.2-0.3 seconds to the 0-200 kph times. Porsche was very smart in the gearing choice, 0-200kph times are a strong marketing tool, reminds me of Mr. RUF's wise choices in aerodynamics and gearing..

- I am interested to know why do you think that the Tip is slower by a couple of seconds starting from 200 kph vs the 6 speed? The Tiptronic takes one shift to go from 200-300kph whereas the manual takes 2 shifts.

1 shift less= 0.4 s. advantage for the Tip vs the manual.

As far as the taller Tip 5th gear (if that's the reason), it is taller by about 20 kph vs the manual 6 speed, not much, but more importantly, the Tip will only travel around 500 RPMs in 5th gear before reaching 300 kph after shifting from 4th, therefore any effect of the taller Tip gearing is almost null. Based on the above, I see them both running very similar times to 300 kph.

With that being said, I still don't like the data posted by CGT about his 35s run and he does not seem to want to show more detail, so I am not defending it until then.

We have yet to see any data from the RUF 550, Lukas seems to have disappeared after setting the world on fire.

the graph that CGT show from 997TT 35 seconds there is something strange with it.

if you look at the velocity line, LOOKS like the pilot used 7 gears! at 275 km/h looks like another change. maybe there can be a problem with the GPS... or he just released the gas pedal.

just my 2 cents!

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

I think he was just posting the picture because of my "Santa Clause" reference - which was just ment as a joke (I hope that is self explanatory ).

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    - When you say normal range is 41-43 seconds for the 997TT, this is based on which information? How many tests that you know of, on how many cars and with what tools please? This will help establish an average or trend.

One logical (commercial) argument for the discussion: Just assume that a run in 997TT could do 0-300 in 35s. Would you expect Porsche to accept AMS to publish a test result of ca. 41s? No way. In such case Porsche would argue that a technical problem occured etc. etc. and that the test should be redone. Considering their importance for a magazine like AMS AMS would probably not reject their desire to do a second test with a "proper" car.

Thus, from the mere fact that AMS published 41s you can derive that Porsche does not expect a 997TT to do below 40s

BTW: I did one test myself (manual 997TT). The car was around 40s 0-300.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:

I think he was just posting the picture because of my "Santa Clause" reference - which was just ment as a joke (I hope that is self explanatory ).

Thanks, Markus! That was exactly what was meant.

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    Crash anyone can see that you were referring to him, go back to page 4 last post. Too bad this personal stuff gets in the middle of good debates.

RC if you may answer a few questions that I have:

- While the professional GPS based datalogging equipment used by *some* magazines is obviously better, if used properly, the more inexpensive versions are just as accurate by any count. There are also ways to easily check for the accuracy of the data once it has been recorded.

- I agree concerning the different testing conditions, however this applies to both magazines and users of amateur tools. Porsche has claimed sub 30s for the CGT, that sounds quite official, so I would think that they can stand behind their numbers. Less rolling resistence and favourable weather conditions could be a factor, and I am sure they can repeat the numbers.

Separately, the reason we see different 0-200 kph times from different magazines is not really an indicator if a tested TT is faster than the other more likely a) because of the launch times and b) because some of the magazines have shifted before reaching 200kph, which is right at the limiter, and therefore needed one additional shift to get to 200 kph. One gear shift more, would make a difference of 0.2-0.3 seconds to the 0-200 kph times. Porsche was very smart in the gearing choice, 0-200kph times are a strong marketing tool, reminds me of Mr. RUF's wise choices in aerodynamics and gearing..

- I am interested to know why do you think that the Tip is slower by a couple of seconds starting from 200 kph vs the 6 speed? The Tiptronic takes one shift to go from 200-300kph whereas the manual takes 2 shifts.

1 shift less= 0.4 s. advantage for the Tip vs the manual.

As far as the taller Tip 5th gear (if that's the reason), it is taller by about 20 kph vs the manual 6 speed, not much, but more importantly, the Tip will only travel around 500 RPMs in 5th gear before reaching 300 kph after shifting from 4th, therefore any effect of the taller Tip gearing is almost null. Based on the above, I see them both running very similar times to 300 kph.

With that being said, I still don't like the data posted by CGT about his 35s run and he does not seem to want to show more detail, so I am not defending it until then.

We have yet to see any data from the RUF 550, Lukas seems to have disappeared after setting the world on fire.

The Tip, by logic, shouldn't have been slower as by all reports the manual pulls almost identically in both 5th and 6th gears. Then again, he has timed his car and that's what the result was .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    GT2ETR said:

Just assume that a the longer gearing accounts for 2-3s more up to 300kph (remember our old discussion on that topic ). Deducting your .4s for the avoided gear change gives you 1-2s... which is the number RC has derived in real-life comparisons. Seems to make sense?

P.S.: The 4th gear in the Tip car is also taller given the long 5th gear. Thus, the car might lose some time when travelling in 4th gear.

MKSGR,

I don't think Porsche has any say in what magazines publish, they might like it or not but that is where it stops in my opinion, they might monitor the German mags such as SA, AMS etc, and make a few phone calls, but nothing more. Example being factory CGT claims (0-300kph in ca. 27s) vs. actual magazine tests, and they are published nonetheless.

Also, magazines have different testing methods, some of them use 2 persons on board and a full tank, while others use one person and half tank for all their tests the same.

Crash, I agree with your comment, which is what I am trying to say, for the same exact car, the Tip and the 6speed should give in theory very similar results to 300 kph.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Just assume that a the longer gearing accounts for 2-3s more up to 300kph (remember our old discussion on that topic ). Deducting your .4s for the avoided gear change gives you 1-2s... which is the number RC has derived in real-life comparisons. Seems to make sense?

P.S.: The 4th gear in the Tip car is also taller given the long 5th gear. Thus, the car might lose some time when travelling in 4th gear.

MKSGR,

As far as I know our old discussion was never concluded , I posted data showing that RUF claims are inaccurate, or people/media perceived them inaccurately. The 24-25 second run from the RT12 cannot be reduced by a further 2 seconds by moving to shorter gearing, however by moving to a taller gear you can loose 2 seconds (hence the 27s). In the case of the Tiptronic, it is a different story, the 5th gear Tip run is only during close to 500RPMs, from 5.6 to 6.1k RPMs or so, definitely will not make any perceptible difference in times.

As far as the 4th gear, you need to compare 4-5th on the tip vs. 4th-5th-6th on the manual and calculate the overall gearing conversion, however, this is why the Tip is not in fact faster than the manual, one gear change less (0.4s) , and one faster gear change ( ca.0.2s) should make it faster than the manual if gearing was exactly identical.

I am saying they will be almost even, because I am accounting for slightly taller gearing on the tip offsetting the faster shifts..

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    MKSGR,

I don't think Porsche has any say in what magazines publish, they might like it or not but that is where it stops in my opinion, they might monitor the German mags such as SA, AMS etc, and make a few phone calls, but nothing more.

Sure, they don't have any "say" in what is published. However, I am certain that AMS informs Porsche about major test results (like the widely regarded high-speed test) in advance in order to avoid irritations with one of their important advertising customers. If a substantial deviation from the claimed factory specs should accur I would believe that AMS is more than wlling to give Porsche a second chance

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:

I am saying they will be almost even, because I am accounting for slightly taller gearing on the tip offsetting the faster shifts..

1-2s difference could be called "almost even"

the days are between us .. you must try before you judge (15,000km + manual with overboost + good driver + not againest the wind = 35 s)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    1-2s difference could be called "almost even"

80-150mtrs ahead, and more than 15k Euros for an additional 30-40 BHP Porsche horses..?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777045 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260916 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85169 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5551 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880618 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815833 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM