Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Excellence reviews 997TT Cab (long - pics)

Re: Excellence reviews 997TT Cab (long - pics)

Great writeup!

Hard to get a better review than that.

Anyone planning on owning a turbo cab and coupe? Would love to get a side by side comparison from someone on the board.

Eric( plug guy) I'm sure you picked up on the comment about the CD changer. Amen to that. I'm working on getting a bluetooth and ipod setup( maybe XM as well). Nobody has really focused on it but the phone module offered by Porsche is horrible. It requires a separate phone number and limits users to GSM networks. Worse yet the noise cancellation is nonexistent.

Wow. Great review for the cab. It makes the wait even longer now

Very good scans. thanks!

Quote:
    Ksurg said:

Anyone planning on owning a turbo cab and coupe? Would love to get a side by side comparison from someone on the board.

Eric( plug guy) I'm sure you picked up on the comment about the CD changer. Amen to that. I'm working on getting a bluetooth and ipod setup( maybe XM as well). Nobody has really focused on it but the phone module offered by Porsche is horrible. It requires a separate phone number and limits users to GSM networks. Worse yet the noise cancellation is nonexistent.

What exactly are you planning?

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:

What exactly are you planning?

By planning I guess you are referring to the audio and phone?
    I am planning to have an aftermarket bluetooth kit along with sat and ipod connector installed. I had the Porsche phone system along with multifunction wheel in my C4S and was disappointed. I'm told the bluetooth system is better by other local customers.

In case you were referring to my side by side comment I was having a hard time believing that the cab handles better than the coupe. I don't doubt the thrill and sound of open air driving but it will interesting to see if the board agrees with the review.

The Dension unit we distrib has the bluetooth module available now, and seems to solve 90% of the problem. Not a perfect solution, but it works pretty darn well. Sat Radio is no problem either.

But yes, I'd opt out of the cd changer on the next vehicle, but until the dealers ease up on fixed-price-list-only crap, I'm sticking with my C4S Cab.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the idea that my fav color (Guards) might do exactly what I always thought about the TT...make it too busy. The darker colors do tone down the busy angled areas a bit. But I just don't think I can go with Black or a metallic.

Oh well. C4S Cab is still singing just fine.

Wow! Who would have thunk it? The Turbo Cabriolet a "better drive" than the coupe! Holy!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Wow! Who would have thunk it? The Turbo Cabriolet a "better drive" than the coupe! Holy!

Yeah! I take that with a grain of salt. Pete Stout is mellowing like most of us and he may be starting to like a slightly softer chassis.

"here's the shocker; for the first time ever, I think I prefer the driving dynamics of the convertible 911 to those of it's coupe conterpart"

"First impression; this might be the best Porsche Active Suspension Managemnt set-up I've sampled on a 997"

"More satisfying than the Turbo Coupe? Yes and for two distinc reasons. First the Turbo Cabriolet's chassis feels beautifully judged in a way the coupe's just doesn't"

"Either way or both ways the result is that the Cab just plain works better on the real world curvey roads that remind enthusiasts why they bought a sports car. The difference is subtle but not as subtle as you might think - and it prompts us to wonder if whats good for a fast time at the Nurburing is always good for those driving sensations impressive lap times fail to capture"

"Where the stiffer, flatter Turbo Coupe can require corrective lock in turns even with PSM on, the Cabrio turns in, leans just a bit, sticks and goes. That smidgen of body roll provides an important shard of feedback one that helps you comprehend what the chassis is up to as you approach the limits of the rear ends grip"

"But there's a second trait that sets the Turbo Cab from it's coupe counterpart. The twin Turbo's six's sound is stirring top up or top down. Upon first exposure to the 997 Turbo Coupe a big criticism amoung testers was that the flat six's song seemed two steps too removed. The Cabrio however, lets quite a bit more of the tail pipes tale through it's fabric. Top up is just enough but never too much. Stow the top - in 20 seconds at up to 31 mph - and it just gets better"

"it's more fun that the turbo coupe"

"there's a subtle satisfaction to this drop-top 911 thats hard to pin down, one that for this writer at least, makes it more desirable. It feels better resolved in it's mission than any 997 bar the basic Carrera coupe."

"The 997 Turbo Cabriolet accomplishes the same feat but adds something more. More pleasure, more feedback. and more fun. As someone who generally prefers coupes when it comes to focused driving, the idea that the open top version is a better drive is nothing short of a revelation"

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Wow. Great review for the cab. It makes the wait even longer now

You have to think that maybe this guy had a one of those drives. You know the 'one'. One of those drives with the top down, sun in your face, open road. One of those drives you just don't get in a coupe? Kind of made him feel ,,,,,happier than usual? Either way sounds freakin great to me. I've been thinking about it though last drive I took in a Turbo especially. The type of drive the Turbo deliver's,,,all it needs is an open top and the combination should be absolutely fantastic! For those of you that haven't driven a 997 cabriolet, I'm tellin you it's not your daddy's convertible anymore. And now it sounds like all the stars have aligned perfectly in the Turbo Cabrio like the sum of everything coming together making it better than all it's parts.... Can't wait till Spring!

Quote:
    Ksurg said:

"SilverRules" just traded his 997 Turbo for an in-coming 997 Turbo Cabrio. He'll be able to.

Anyone here good w/ putting pictures together? Would LOVE to see the picture on pg. 60 & 61 from the above article put together. Anyone??????Bueller???????

What about this one?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    What about this one?

Thanks ADias. Even in that color IMHO this car rocks as a Cabrio! I'm SURE I'm being biased but does anyone else feel they way I do about the way the Turbo Cab looks? It just looks,,,,,,,better as a Cab. Like it has more,,,attitude? ......... Looks dun no Bad-Ass???? OMG! Look at that thing! LoL!!

Quote:
    ADias said:

Awesome! Thank You!!!! Picturing this as Basalt,,,PCCB's.... Yeeeeeooowwwwwww!!

Very interesting colour in those pics... is that a new green or just a very shiny/reflective black?

It's a green - Malachite. Nice color.

I agree. The turbo cab looks better than the coupe on picture. In fact I think it is one of the best looking Porsche cab.

Would love to see one in Azzuro california ala the club coupes

997TT Cab - Christophorus article...

997TT Cabrio article via latest Christophorus online...

997TT-Cabrio_Christophorus-article

Quote:
    Targa Tim said:
    I agree. The turbo cab looks better than the coupe on picture. In fact I think it is one of the best looking Porsche cab.

911 cab you mean? The Boxster is by far better looking than any 911 cab.

+1 for Malachite Green

Nice color combination. Too bad it looks like all the other 9,000 Porsche's they sell EACH year in California. The actual figure is 8858 but I rounded off the numbers for effect.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Nice color combination. Too bad it looks like all the other 9,000 Porsche's they sell EACH year in California. The actual figure is 8858 but I rounded off the numbers for effect.

"Like" but even cooler yeah? 997 Turbo Cabrio turns out to be awesome looking huh? But there's only so much sex appeal you're going to get from a sports car's shape before it just isn't practicle to use as an everyday sports car.

Did something crazy last weekend and let my father drive my 430 out to the Hamptons. He's a very young 60, likes Sports cars too.. Said the drive home at night was "terrifying". Said 'driving the car at night is kinda like sitting in a hole and not being able to see anyplace but forward.'. Think he eggagerated a bit but honestly have to admit I see his point, the 430 looks amazing but the seating position/cockpit is more like function follows form instead of the other way around..

Still LOVE my 430 though. Sure there are thousands more 430's on the road than 997 Turbo Cab's and that will be true for quite some time but the 430 will be replaced soon so the new Ferrari model wont be more common than the Turbo Cab,,,,,,,, eventually. But until then my 430 Coupe is still a better looking & sexier car than the 997 Turbo.. No doubt. As far as convertibles go the 997 Turbo Cabrio does something for me the 430 Spider just doesnt and obviously I'm putting my money where my mouth is.....If I wanted a 430 Spider I could have one...But I guess if I really just wanted something really,really rare I could probably find a mint 1976 Trans Am somwhere, the one w/ the Screaming Chicken on the hood. Man loved that car..and looks so different than all the other cars on the road too. Plus my old man could borrow it and feel safe that he's not going to turn into the guy next to him....Bet you there's less 1976 Trans Am's than 430's too ! Ya think?

Re: 997TT Cab - Christophorus article...

Quote:
    Boxster Coupe GTS said:
    997TT Cabrio article via latest Christophorus online...

997TT-Cabrio_Christophorus-article

Thanks for that.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:

"SilverRules" just traded his 997 Turbo for an in-coming 997 Turbo Cabrio. He'll be able to.

Anyone here good w/ putting pictures together? Would LOVE to see the picture on pg. 60 & 61 from the above article put together. Anyone??????Bueller???????

Coupe has nice clean lines and everything but man there is nothing like taking the top down when the weather is in the upper 70's. I loved my 997TT coupe specially in white but having the top down and feeling the engine roar in your ear is somthing speciall and it really can't be explained unless you experience it. It's more like riding a motorcycle, you know, like being happy and smiling. If you own a motorcycle you know what I mean.

The TT cab will be as close as you can get to riding a motorcycle. The only coupe I will own in the future will be the GT3 and and I am working on that.

I was at the dealer today and my completion date is Oct 10th. I can almost feel and touch the big wing. Basalt black is so serious looking and unique. CANT WAIT !!!!!

Quote:
    ...But I guess if I really just wanted something really,really rare I could probably find a mint 1976 Trans Am somwhere, the one w/ the Screaming Chicken on the hood. Man loved that car..and looks so different than all the other cars on the road too.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:

Coupe has nice clean lines and everything but man there is nothing like taking the top down when the weather is in the upper 70's. I loved my 997TT coupe specially in white but having the top down and feeling the engine roar in your ear is somthing speciall and it really can't be explained unless you experience it. It's more like riding a motorcycle, you know, like being happy and smiling. If you own a motorcycle you know what I mean.

The TT cab will be as close as you can get to riding a motorcycle. The only coupe I will own in the future will be the GT3 and and I am working on that.

I was at the dealer today and my completion date is Oct 10th. I can almost feel and touch the big wing. Basalt black is so serious looking and unique. CANT WAIT !!!!!

RE: Similiar to a Motorcycle - Agree w/ you there too.

IMO - The Turbo coupes have nicer rooflines compared to the 997 Turbo Cabrio when it's roof is up but the Cabrio looks so much cooler than the coupe when it's dropped it's top. Something about the car as a Cab that has got me so psyched to drive this car. My 996 Turbo Coupe was fun no doubt but I really didn't have a hard time when it came to part w/ it, having the convertible is so much more of an experience.

Can't wait to see pics of your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's Basalt Black/Black Int./Black Top/PCCB's... What other options did you end up ordering?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753477 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430915 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255533 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868482 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802122 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM