Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Must have Turbo options

As Atomic80 said I have a hard time heel and toeing due to the sensitivity of the brakes and difference in height between the brake pedal and the gas pedal. It just takes a different style of driving, which I'm very slowly adapting to. In my brief experience with the steel brakes I found them easier to modulate. No question in my mind that PCCB's will stop you quicker.

Some other thoughts on options: Buying options for resale value later doesn't make sense, if you don't want them yourself. After all you're buying the car for your enjoyment not some Bozo's down the road. Several options like the SSK can be added after you have the car. Again, I think the interior and exterior colors are most important. The big ticket items like adaptive seats and SC are the high priority items. The other big decision is tip vs manual. I had considered a tip for my car, but after some research I concluded it wouldn't suit my style of driving. I think you would enjoy either tranny choice. If you don't put your money down on a "leftover" '07 model, you'll be faced with ordering a spec'd out '08 at a higher base price. And if you think you've got tough choices now, try specing out a car yourself. Mental anguish personified, and the waiting game is pure torture!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:
    OK this is what I'm getting. In order of importance:

1) Sport Chrono package
    2) Adaptive seats
    3) Manual with LSD over tip
    4) PCCB
    5) Heated seats

Color is also critical but hard to rank. Any changes in priorities?

Ditto ~

What he said.

Though I'd put heated seats above PCCB. I mean remember you'll be all excited and happy with the car for a some months and maybe a year (or two?!). THEN you'll get stuck with PCCB maintenance bill. It probably will not be a pleasure to pay at that point.

However if PCCBs have a demonstrable safety advantage over steel rotors on a _sanely_ driven car; then PCCBs get bumped higher to maybe number 1 or 2.

My personal color issues? Prefer a darker color because it shows all the vents, slats and wing less. No correct answer; just preferences.

"PCCB maintenance bill" is far less than steel. No rotor changes necessary. steel needs rotor changes every/every other pad change depending on how much of the pad you used. So if you could handle the PCCB initial cost the cost to maintain them is actually less. The only time this wouldn't be true is if you damaged a PCCB rotor and I've yet to see this happen in my area so I don't plan on needing PCCB's rotors,,,ever.

I could be without heated seats though wouldn't want to but wont take a Turbo if it doesn't have PCCB's. Not just because of the added performance, lighter un-sprung weight, etc, etc, etc but because of how ugly the steel's make everything including brake calipers and wheels and the maintaince they require with washing, cleaning. When it takes longer to clean the wheels/brakes etc. then it does the entire rest of the car something is wrong. I enjoy washing my cars but cleaning the rusty, dirty water mess has been a major drag. I'm done w/ that job period. After owning the steelies for 2+ yrs I wouldn't buy another Porsche without PCCB's. Really wouldn't I'd look at another make that had Carbon Ceramics. The Cabon Ceramics on my last 2 Ferrari's have performed fantastically without the rusty water mess, looking forward to putting the hassle of cleaning the steelies behind me.

Yeah color is too subjective to put into must haves but agree the dark colors suit the TT well. Black or Basalt would be my 2 favorites.

Some differences of opinion on the board but pretty consistent on which features are important. Now I wonder which options are to be avoided. For instance I absolutely don't want a CD changer...just a waste of space IMO.

Quote:
    Ksurg said:
    Some differences of opinion on the board but pretty consistent on which features are important. Now I wonder which options are to be avoided. For instance I absolutely don't want a CD changer...just a waste of space IMO.

Had it in my 997 S cab (didn't use it once) but omitted it on my Turbo Cab.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

"PCCB maintenance bill" is far less than steel. No rotor changes necessary. steel needs rotor changes every/every other pad change depending on how much of the pad you used. So if you could handle the PCCB initial cost the cost to maintain them is actually less.

Wow, sounds even better! I'm wrong again

Would be great if PCCB were advertised by Porsche using words like "stops better and is therefore safer than steel" and "maintenance costs are lower than steel." I would have been sold on them a long time ago. Dammit! Thanks for the info Stradale.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:

Had it in my 997 S cab (didn't use it once) but omitted it on my Turbo Cab.

Personally, I would not get the CD changer for the next car. I have it on my 997S and have not used it once in the almost 3 years of ownership.

Now that I've been driving my turbo for a few weeks, the only essential feature for driving pleasure is LSD aka Axel Differential Lock. PCCB are a great luxury, I would buy them again in a heartbeat but I don't think they are essential. I don't like the sport chrono but I think it will be hard to resell your TT without it, so I would have to agree that its essential unless you plan to keep your TT for 10 years.

The CD changer is going to be like 8 Track or Cassettes in about..., oh..., maybe four or five more years (?)

1. Sports Crono
    2. Adoptive Sport Seats
    3. PCCB
    4. LSD
    5. Short Shifter

1- sports chrono ---> mandatory

2- sport shifter ---> mandatory

3- LSD ---> mandatory

4- adaptive

5- PCCB (more a "want" option)

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The CD changer is going to be like 8 Track or Cassettes in about..., oh..., maybe four or five more years (?)

Ipod 80GB > CD-Changer

Hey SChrono may not be "required."

SoCal Alan provides this fact on another post.

With the SC on:

The time required by the 911 Turbo with manual transmission for intermediate acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h is reduced by 0.3 seconds to 3.5 seconds

BFD.

what is LSD

From another perspective the PCCBs are ultimately safer than the iron brakes because they will never fade. If you truly work your brakes hard then the ceramics will give you a safety margin that the iron can't. What I like more on my PCCBs are the lighter unsprung weight which makes the car handle like a dream. Side benefit,--little time needed to clean up.

Dan

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Hey SChrono may not be "required."

SoCal Alan provides this fact on another post.

With the SC on:

The time required by the 911 Turbo with manual transmission for intermediate acceleration from 80 to 120 km/h is reduced by 0.3 seconds to 3.5 seconds

BFD.

0.3 difference 80-120kmh is a "BFD" - Big F.ckin Deal.

You're talking about the difference of either being ahead (or behind) by a cars length. Plus add that 0.3 to a car on a track that needs to accelerate from 80-120kmh 10 times or wherever and you just picked up (or lost) 3 seconds. And especially when you consider that .3 difference is at 3.5 seconds and the added torque can be used for 10 seconds.

You'd have to be out of your mind to omit SC on the Turbo.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You're talking about the difference of either being ahead (or behind) by a cars length. Plus add that 0.3 to a car on a track that needs to accelerate from 80-120kmh 10 times or wherever and you just picked up (or lost) 3 seconds. And especially when you consider that .3 difference is at 3.5 seconds and the added torque can be used for 10 seconds.

We're already OOOM to be buying a car designed for the Autobahn in Autobahn-bare USA.

Yeah..., I know the significant distance differences measured in fractions of seconds.

What I'm wondering is: can anybody tell the difference by seat of your pants on public roads with and without SC?

I'm _tempted_ to believe the answer is: absoultely not.

Even when you're hotdogging burning up back roads my bet is you still can't tell the difference.

That leaves the only sane reasons for ordering SC is "everybody" wants it (for no reasonable reason) and because you intend to track the car without any modifications.

Therefore I can't go along 100% with the contention that SC is an "absolutely required" Turbo option.

OTOH, it is VERY LIKELY an emotional faith-based issue; nobody want's to get the criticism that their car doesn't have the "mandatory" SC.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

We're already OOOM to be buying a car designed for the Autobahn in Autobahn-bare USA.

Yeah..., I know the significant distance differences measured in fractions of seconds.

What I'm wondering is: can anybody tell the difference by seat of your pants on public roads with and without SC?

Even when you're hotdogging burning up back roads my bet is you still can't tell the difference.

That leaves the only sane reasons for ordering SC is "everybody" wants it (for no reasonable reason) and because you intend to track the car without any modifications.

Therefore I can't go along 100% with the contention that SC is an "absolutely required" Turbo option.

OTOH, it is VERY LIKELY an emotional faith-based issue; nobody want's to get the criticism that their car doesn't have the "mandatory" SC.

You think people get Sport Chrono in a Turbo because they're worried about what other people will think if they dont have it? Come on dude do you really think that way?

The very fact Porsche should have made Sport Chrono standard speaks to the very fact it is a must-have option.

If 45 ft lbs or torque (difference in 997 Turbo w/ Sport Chrono vs w/ out) isn't important why even bother w/ a Turbo in the first place, that's what the Turbo is all about HP POWER & even more so TORQUE! You could spend $5-10k in the after-market throwing out your warranty for that kind of gain. Hell plenty of people have spent much more than the SC option cost for Porsche power kits without getting that much in added performance. They should have made in standard but for a $1k you'll probably NEVER see that kind of gain in performance direct from any co. anywhere, ever. The torque difference is very similair to a 996 Turbo vs a 997 Turbo (w/ out Sport Chrono) so if you think you wouldnt ever feel the difference or ever use the difference no real need to a 997 Turbo in the first place really.

Gotta disagree w/ you, from all the options Sport Chrono is THE most important option to tick & FOR ME it has nothing to do with other people's opinion's of my car so I'll ask politely that you speak for yourself on that one.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I read what you wrote about your test drive a few days ago but I am not sure if the car you tested had SC or if it was ON or OFF. I can assure you that you can tell the difference when the button is pressed and when it is not, especially around 3000 rpm in any gear, you should have tried it with and without.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

You think people get Sport Chrono in a Turbo because they're worried about what other people will think if they dont have it? Come on dude do you really think that way?

Just chatting, no big deal.

It's this thing with the Turbo and not with regular Carrera. "Everybody" says it's essential to have for Turbo. Therefore there are those that will get it just to say they have it. I'm gettin' it. I like gadgets.

OTOH, there's no majority saying SC is essential in the Carrera.

What I wonder about is actual measurable performance vs. the _sensation_ or illusion of more happening than is actually happening.

Like you said, you'd be crazy not to get it _if_ you track the car, like you said do that turn ten times and pick up 3 seconds.

I'm not counting on being able to tell the .3 second difference 80 and 120kmh except _psychologically_, especially with the throttle map difference.

My point? There's a teeny performance difference that 95% (?) of buyers will never notice. What they _will_ notice is if there's SC or not in any given Turbo.

"Waiter..., another round please..."

Getting really close now to picking a vehicle. I'm still torn between getting the manual vs the tip.. I've had both before. IMO the tip is a good solution for those that use the turbo as a daily driver, multitask and have to deal with traffic. According to P demographics 50% of turbo sales are now tips.

This board seems to have a strong bias towards the manual. Frankly the major benefit is that the manual is fun. I am absolutely not convinced that the performance is better.

Has anyone really driven both for an extended period. I wish P offered a performance course with the tip!

Get the tip. What I noticed in my brief TT test drive was first gear winds up so fast (to redline) that my shift into second is comparatively sloppy and slow. BTW, I've had manuals in perf cars for decades.

IOW the tip will take full advantage of the first gear rapid progress to max RPM and then shift to second and start transmitting power to road waaaaay faster than I could (apparently).

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Get the tip. What I noticed in my brief TT test drive was first gear winds up so fast (to redline) that my shift into second is comparatively sloppy and slow. BTW, I've had manuals in perf cars for decades.

IOW the tip will take full advantage of the first gear rapid progress to max RPM and then shift to second and start transmitting power to road waaaaay faster than I could (apparently).

Thanks for the input. It just doesn't seem right to buy a tip at an extra $3K and have to feel compromised.

Quote:
    kata said:
    what is LSD

Limited slip differential (make the car more stable under sharp turn acceleration and braking) --- Only for manual cars.

Quote:
    Ksurg said:

Thanks for the input. It just doesn't seem right to buy a tip at an extra $3K and have to feel compromised.

When PDK comes out I will buy one! (if I decide to trade-in yet another Porsche.

IOW, I assume there's no (or very little) difference to the driver between either tranny (Tip or PDK) except maybe a few percent HP loss. Tip is already faster than manual, but probably PDK is faster than both.

I have SMG on my M3 and love it. Extremely fast shifts with perfect rev matches.

Tip is a compromise? I dunno, I bet perceptions will change for Tip by association when PDK starts getting rave reviews over the ancient technology of the manual.

The other thing? People think they made a mistake with certain options when they first get the car. Then after a few weeks or months they find themselves loving the "mistake." It's weird. I don't think Tip is soooooo weird that anybody regrets getting it after a while (if they worry they made a mistake after delivery).

Hey: the Tip-equipped car is faster and shifting all the time when you're tired or not in the mood is a PITA.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Just chatting, no big deal.

It's this thing with the Turbo and not with regular Carrera. "Everybody" says it's essential to have for Turbo. Therefore there are those that will get it just to say they have it. I'm gettin' it. I like gadgets.

OTOH, there's no majority saying SC is essential in the Carrera.

What I wonder about is actual measurable performance vs. the _sensation_ or illusion of more happening than is actually happening.

Like you said, you'd be crazy not to get it _if_ you track the car, like you said do that turn ten times and pick up 3 seconds.

I'm not counting on being able to tell the .3 second difference 80 and 120kmh except _psychologically_, especially with the throttle map difference.

My point? There's a teeny performance difference that 95% (?) of buyers will never notice. What they _will_ notice is if there's SC or not in any given Turbo.

"Waiter..., another round please..."

'there's no majority saying SC is essential in the Carrera' because in the Carrera it doesn't add 45ft lbs of torque. In the Carrera it doesn't add any additional torque AT ALL.

Sport Chrono in the Carrera doesn't affect the HP/TORQUE of the car. While it does affect how responsive the car feels to throttle inputs based on the more sensative throttle mappings w/ the Turbo the Sport Chrono increases the amount of Torque available from 457 ft lbs to 502 ft lbs. increasing boost for 10 seconds. So while Sport Chrono doesn't affect performance in the Carrera in the Turbo it's not just noticeable it is measureably different in acceleration tests.

You're not talking about a very small difference either. 45 ft lbs of torque is huge. Like I said you dont get that much difference when you go from a 996 Turbo to a 997 Turbo (w/ out Sport Chrono)

AAHTT already answered you regarding if you can feel the difference or not and I agree w/ him 100%.

Honestly, I think you should be careful w/ this mental masturbation I'd hate to see someone not select the option thinking it's similiar to the Carrera difference only to find out the real details later on. - No offense honestly, I think I understand your "just chatting" ,it's like you're thinking out loud right? Juss sayin heads-up where you're doing it.

Quote:
    MMD said:

MMD - Have you driven a Turbo TIP?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Nope. That's what mag reviews are for.

Excellence reviewer says Tip is clearly better suited than manual to "managing torque" of engine when accelerating from 0-60.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Honestly, I think you should be careful w/ this mental masturbation I'd hate to see someone not select the option thinking it's similiar to the Carrera difference only to find out the real details later on. - No offense honestly, I think I understand your "just chatting" ,it's like you're thinking out loud right? Juss sayin heads-up where you're doing it.

Yeah, you're probably right. Again, my sales guy is looking to find me a new an SC-equipped TT.

I guess the bottom line is: Carrera SC has zero performance improvement. TT SC DOES have some perf improvement. THAT's enough reason to get it in the TT. I'm just doubtful that it's that noticeable (my stubborn-minded personality ).

After all Porsche has to "leave room" for the Turbo S. _That's_ gotta have a seat-of-pants noticeable performance difference.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Nope. That's what mag reviews are for.

Excellence reviewer says Tip is clearly better suited than manual to "managing torque" of engine when accelerating from 0-60.

For anyone considering the Tip I would never base your decision based on the comments here. You have to drive both. If you're already used to the tip then not a big deal but anyone used to a manual I would HIGHLY advise driving a Turbo Tip before going that route.

RE: Excellence magazine/October 2006 - "This smart automatic still causes weight transfer problems in some cornering situations, however particularly if your driving becomes less aggressive- even for a moment. The auto modes intelligent mapping defaults to a lazier schedule too quickly one that make wake up and downshift on the way through a turn. We experienced this in an uphill right hander, where Tipronic chose to stay in third upon corner entry. As we kept feathering in throttle the tip decided to drop a gear to second - which upset the cars balance. Pulling the consule mounted lever into manual solves that problem but the tip still ignores single gear downshift commands at times - even if making the shift wont cause the engine to exceed redline. As with so many sytems that make decisions for the driver Tiptronic will continue to make friends and enemies. Count us in the latter camp due to tiptronic's still less than predictable control responses....There's something else bothering us in the Turbo Tiptronic. Under heavy straight line braking,,,it's rear end is a bit fidgety. It's easily managed, never scary and subtle enough that I'm wondering if the extra 78 lbs of tip between the rear wheels or this particular cars alignment could be the cause. Or perhaps it's just me? Nope the same unsettling feeling is still there with Nerop behind the wheel"

But regarding Tip - back to Sport Chrono if you select a Tip Sport Chrono also gives you more aggressive shifts.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440894 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262342 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260531 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879936 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814888 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM