Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan GT-R - new details

Semi-official data :

Engine code VR38
    3,8l V6
    twin-turbo - 1,47 bar
    redline @ 7600 rpm

480hp @ 6800 rpm
    90% of peak power between 6800 rpm and 7500 rpm

580Nm @ 1,700 - 5,600rpm

Quote:
    Holiday Auto gives us a little more information on the upcoming GT-R's engine code, power output characteristics, FM platform and improved head light technology.

Over the last few years, there has been so much speculation surrounding just exactly what type of engine will power the upcoming Nissan GT-R. Although Japanese Automotive magazine Holiday Auto doesn't actually confirm that the capacity of the new engine will be 3.8L, they do explain to some extent why the new power plant won't be a part of the VQ family of engines currently used in the V-series Skyline sedan and coupe models. Also discussed is the FM platform and how it influences the GT-R's advertising catch-phrase and just why the new GT-R's headlights are a step ahead of the rest.

Engine Code: VR38

Peak Power: 480ps/6,800rpm

Peak Torque: 58.0kgm/1,700 - 5,600rpm

Details: The engine powering the new GT-R will be extremely lightweight compared to engines of similar capacity and complexity. Titanium intake valves and magnesium alloy exhaust valves will be used as well as a version of the new VVEL (Variable Valve Event and Lift) technology as used in the V36 Skyline Coupe. Red line is from 7,600rpm, with a 7,800rpm rev limit. Even after peak power has been achieved at 6,800rpm, 90% of maximum power will still be available from 6,800 - 7,500rpm with the power curve staying virtually flat from 6,800rpm to red line. The secret to the GT-R's speed is in it's ability to obtain peak torque at such low revs, as well as a very usable spread of power right across the rev range. There is even mention of the engine being designed for a maximum power output of 600ps, but being detuned to 480ps for production.

The engine powering the 2008 GT-R is not part of the VQ family... Holiday Auto have reportedly been told that the engine appearing in the new GT-R has a 'VR' designation, leading them to believe that it has a strong connection to the VRH35L from the Nissan R390 that contested the Le Mans 24 Hour endurance race! We'll have more on this soon.

Wide Angle HID:

In a world first, Nissan have developed new wide angle HID head lights for the GT-R, throwing light out to the sides of the car much more effectively than current HID head lights. The new HIDs reportedly allow up to 60m visibility ahead of the vehicle which will coincide with other advanced safety features to help the driver to avoid collisions.

'Premium Midship' Platform:

Nissan have a catch phrase for the platform of the new GT-R, they call it 'Premium Midship'. Weight has been concentrated between the front and rear wheels to make it the ultimate handling package, it being the latest and greatest incarnation of Nissan's FM platform.

Details concerning turbo boost levels (1.5kgf/cm2), lightweight engine parts (magnesium cam covers, timing chain case and oil pan, aluminium intake manifold), high response turbochargers and carbon bonnet were also mentioned briefly. There are only a few more pieces of the GT-R jigsaw puzzle to go now...

Re: Nissan GT-R - new details

Very impressive. My only concern is that the overall weight of the car may be on the high side (and it's not exactly beautiful).

The engine sounds amazing though...

1.47 Bar is a lot of boost! 480hp is not going to light any fires in a car that will probably weight 3600lbs. Now if they could build this at 3000lbs at say $40k US, we'd have a winner

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    480hp is not going to light any fires in a car that will probably weight 3600lbs.

Tell that to the Porsche 997 Twin Turbo owners who spent double the money

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    480hp is not going to light any fires in a car that will probably weight 3600lbs.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

+1
    I can already see the "deny everything Baldrick" (Black Adder goes Fourth) attitude from current 997 TT owners.
    It's going to be the Cayman/Carrera all over again
    ("you car is cheaper than mine, so it can't be as good")

Thanks for the info mv

Here are some very detailed shots of the new GT-R and it's interior:
    http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/80073-some-more-detail-shots-08-gtr-goodwood-thanks-fly.html

Thanks temm.

Beat shots of GT-R I have seen so far.

can't wait!

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:

+1
    I can already see the "deny everything Baldrick" (Black Adder goes Fourth) attitude from current 997 TT owners.
    It's going to be the Cayman/Carrera all over again
    ("you car is cheaper than mine, so it can't be as good")

LOL yep... But when they compare P to Ferrari/Lambo its like its better cause its cheaper

Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches will never be bang for the the buck champions and most owners knew that going in and yes someone will hop up a zo6 to beat a veyron eventually and then state that whoever bought a veyron wasted their money. But again for most F/L/P owners that is just missing the point of why they purchased those cars in the first place.

I look forward to cars like the GT-R raising the bar just like the original did back in the 60s when it embarrased Porsche the first time. Does not make me enjoy my TT any less.

Your right, i know...
    I was just being sarcastic bout users that crap on chevys etc saying its 'cheap crap' but also act like girls when users with more expensive cars say 'the same' bout Porsches
    Then again you probably knew that

Quote:
    BC911 said:
    Your right, i know...
    I was just being sarcastic bout users that crap on chevys etc saying its 'cheap crap' but also act like girls when users with more expensive cars say 'the same' bout Porsches
    Then again you probably knew that

I think its funny how seriously some take it... provides me with lots of entertainment seeing how worked up some get on both sides...

Quote:
    BC911 said:
    LOL yep... But when they compare P to Ferrari/Lambo its like its better cause its cheaper

It's all about the right perspective
    BTW if somebody likes to look down on other cars or their owners a SUV is the right choice - it's really difficult from a low sportscar

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

BTW if somebody likes to look down on other cars or their owners a SUV is the right choice - it's really difficult from a low sportscar

LOL... thats what the X3 is for

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    BC911 said:

LOL... thats what the X3 is for

Guess I should get a Hummer then.....Or a GM Kodiak

Seriously though, people like that make me laugh...thats why I tend to giggle a bit when I read our friend Nicks posts, seeing that he does drive "the most coveted car in the world" and all that

there's been talk of a special version (not sure if it's japan only or not) called "Evo" which should see around 100Kg shed of it's weight and power up to 530hp.
    all in all i'd say it a very interesting and promising car!

Getting back OT, the new GT-R is, to my thinking, a more realistic competitor to the 911 than an R8, especially in the realm of everyday usability (ie. luggage space). The various video clips at least prove that they have thrashed this thing over what must be a record number of 'Ring laps to get the handling right.

Having concluded that my fun STi will move on soon for a performance coupe, I definitely will want to drive a GT-R before ordering a C4S. And, as I think I want to try the paddle shifting experience, Nissan's decision to include this in the GT-R is fine with me.

More 'camo' pictures...

'camo' removed..
    (Sorry if repost)

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    'camo' removed..
    (Sorry if repost)

This is not the GT-R. Thats the regular skyline. The GT-R would never stray away from its circular taillights.

That last camo removed shot is of an earlier mule with Infiniti G35 body... most of the recent sitings are of the real production ready vehicle, where the F/R bras are hiding some styling tweaks from the concept. Word is that the camo will not come off till the Tokyo show unveiling this fall.

Hi all,

Just had a mailshot from the dealer this morning with estimated UK price for the new GT-R (I have one on pre-ordered to replace my 997C2S).

It seems the price is going up by Pounds1000 on the old model (R34) to only Pounds55000. (Although UK release is still a while away at Sept 08)

Bargain!!!

...Mad

P.S. Official specs released next month at Tokyo Motorshow

More engine details from 7Tune, sounds pretty impressive
    I wonder if this solution eliminates turbolag (and is a bigger success than VTG ):

Quote:
    The VR38VETT

Holiday Auto broke the news about the existence of a VR based GT-R engine last month, and since then has gone one further and given us a actual alphanumeric designation: VR38VETT. The VR38 is actually a recreation of the famed VRH35L V8 powering the R390 Le Mans car albeit in V6 form. A lot of knowledge gained from Group C and endurance racing has allowed Nissan to take the performance aspect of the GT-R that little bit further (over say, a VQ based engine) by taking the basic design of the VRH35 and using it for the new GT-R's V6 engine block and cylinder heads. A surprising feature of the twin turbo system is the 'Integrated Exhaust Manifold Turbine' where the exhaust manifold and turbo exhaust housing are formed as one piece. We're told this is for weight saving, packaging and high response and was chosen over the more costly 'motor assisted twin turbo system' that was predicted way back in mid-2004. What all this has resulted in is an engine design that could be viewed as two 1.9L straight 3-cylinder DOHC turbo engines joined by a common crankshaft, with separate intake manifolds and throttle bodies for each bank. The intake manifold is actually the centerpiece of the engine bay, its intake runners being used as a design feature of the VR38VETT

Cosworth's involvement in the GT-R's engine development has been mentioned before on many occasions but until now there hasn't been much information on what they've actually done. Holiday Auto tells us the GT-R's aluminum engine block is a 'monoblock' design, meaning it doesn't use sleeves inside each cylinder bore so that the pistons make direct contact with the block. Cosworth has also reduced the weight of the crankshaft, conrods and pistons to achieve maximum response and a free revving nature that belies its larger 3.8L capacity. It comes as a surprise too that the whole engine looks a lot shorter than what you would expect a 3.8L engine to be, its compact design and light weight being a major contributing factor in the cars overall balance. Many other parts such as the cam covers, timing chain cover, oil pan and a multitude of bolts, screws and washers are all made of magnesium. The GT-R will also use a semi-wet sump system which can handle higher g-forces over a traditional wet sump which start to suffer from 'oil sloshing' at around 1.8g. As pointed out in our previous article, the power delivery of the VR38VETT is extremely linear and does not drop off after hitting maximum power at 6,800rpm which was a big factor in proceeding with the development of an all new engine. From as little as 1,500rpm a powerful surge can be felt with - what seems like - all 480ps available with very little throttle application. It has been said that there are very few people with enough skill to drive the new GT-R at its limit, this limit being so high that a driver of average skill level would never be able to test the boundaries of the GT-R's performance... this could possibly be an exaggeration on Holiday Auto's part, but the point has been made clear: the new GT-R is every bit a Supercar.

From Winding road this time (and 911 relevant!)

"Nissan has made it clear from the start that their new Skyline GT-R sports car is gunning for the Porsche 911 Turbo. A 911 Turbo has been the benchmark on hand during the Skyline track sessions, and some wheel-to-wheel, nose-to-tail battles have even been documented during testing. Nissan's assault on Porsche's pre-eminence has continued this past week at the Nürburgring, as test drivers have been running flat-out on the Nordschleife in pursuit of a fastest lap time than the 997 911 Turbo.We watched as a Porsche-driven prototype for a facelifted 911 Turbo was on the track at the same time as a Skyline GT-R prototype. Our observations from earlier test sessions-that the Skyline is as fast, and probably faster than the 911 Turbo-appeared to hold true this week, as the Skyline reeled-in, and overtook the 911 Turbo prototype. While this is not scientific by any means-the 911 may have been running a less-intense durability cycle, and not a flat-out race run-our reporters on the scene hand-timed several of the Skylines laps and they recorded a best lap of 7 minutes 38 seconds. If those times are accurate, then it appears that the Skyline may have bettered the 7:40 time logged by a 997 911 Turbo that stands as a lofty Nürburgring benchmark."

...Mad

Re: And another

P is getting cornered, they'd beter bring back some performance in the 997TTS (fix PTM, shed weight...).

Re: And another

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    P is getting cornered, they'd beter bring back some performance in the 997TTS (fix PTM, shed weight...).

This means nothing. Porsche had been using cars with much more horsepower during testing which were very likely turning laps at under 7:40. How do we know that this is the car that will be sold and not just a souped up prototype.

Quote:
    madadd said:
    From Winding road this time (and 911 relevant!)

"Nissan has made it clear from the start that their new Skyline GT-R sports car is gunning for the Porsche 911 Turbo. A 911 Turbo has been the benchmark on hand during the Skyline track sessions, and some wheel-to-wheel, nose-to-tail battles have even been documented during testing. Nissan's assault on Porsche's pre-eminence has continued this past week at the Nürburgring, as test drivers have been running flat-out on the Nordschleife in pursuit of a fastest lap time than the 997 911 Turbo.We watched as a Porsche-driven prototype for a facelifted 911 Turbo was on the track at the same time as a Skyline GT-R prototype. Our observations from earlier test sessions-that the Skyline is as fast, and probably faster than the 911 Turbo-appeared to hold true this week, as the Skyline reeled-in, and overtook the 911 Turbo prototype. While this is not scientific by any means-the 911 may have been running a less-intense durability cycle, and not a flat-out race run-our reporters on the scene hand-timed several of the Skylines laps and they recorded a best lap of 7 minutes 38 seconds. If those times are accurate, then it appears that the Skyline may have bettered the 7:40 time logged by a 997 911 Turbo that stands as a lofty Nürburgring benchmark."

...Mad

I'd love to know where they got the 7:40 time for the 997TT?
    The 997GT2 is listed at a 7:31, but the 997TT is listed at 7:54, not 7:40.
    I highly doubt the GT-R is going to run a 7:38. Quicker than a Koenigsegg CCR, doubtful.
    http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073

I am not too partial for the GT-R. Its weight is definitely a concern for me but given that even some of the heavyweights are proving they can deceptive hide its weight. This vehicle particularly does not generate a strong emotion for me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM