Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Must have Turbo options

OK, so I'm struggling with getting a leftover '07 or sucking it up and ordering a '08 coupe( I can secure an early '08 delivery). As time passes the deals on the remaining '07's seem to be getting better as the selection dwindles. In considering vehicles that are "as is" I'm trying to decide what options are must have items. For me so far that includes sports chrono package and adaptive sport seats. I'm interested in what else the board thinks is critical. And before you break my heart be aware that few remaining vehicles have PCCB.

Re: Must have Turbo options

LSD, pccb!

Honestly...the car kicks ass in stock form...yes there are loads of options that are great (and I got a fair share of them) however if you can find one that is stock you will still be thrilled beyone belief.

Moogle,
    I took a lot of grief already and don't want to revisit but I may get a tip so the LSD may not be an issue. Secretly I'm waiting for the right manual in which case I would prefer the LSD. I can only dream about the PCCB for now.

Don't forget sports chrono and I love my adaptive seats.

Must haves:

- Sport Chrono
    - Locking Differential
    - Adaptive Sport Seats

Beyond that, it's all up to individual preference in my mind.

I think with Sports Chrono and the adaptive seats you've got the two absolute essentials. If I had to add one and only one other it would be the short shifter, assuming you can find a 6 sp. Unless you want to track the car PCCB and LSD are nice but not essential. Good luck!!

1. A.S.S.

2. Absolutely get SC because AFAIK you _actually_ get some performance benefit (instead of an illusion): 10 seconds of increased Tq.

3. Heated seats (turn on and wife/gf stops talking and falls asleep)

Eveything else is either "gotta-have" or "can-do-without" depending on what your "as-is" car comes with.

I'm VERRRRRY Curious: what makes you think deals are getting _better_ on diminishing number of 07s?

Would seem they'd get more costly given the apparently scarce allotments for 08s.

IMO PCCB is not a must have option. I have them and I'd rather have the steel ones. The sports chrono is, but I haven't found to many places where you can use it safely. Adaptive seats are nice, but heated isn't necessary in SFO unless you drive in the mountains in winter. Getting the color you want would, in my mind, be the most important consideration. Not sure if you can get "a deal" on leftover 07's as there is a several thousand dollar price increase on th 08's.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    IMO PCCB is not a must have option. I have them and I'd rather have the steel ones. The sports chrono is, but I haven't found to many places where you can use it safely. Adaptive seats are nice, but heated isn't necessary in SFO unless you drive in the mountains in winter. Getting the color you want would, in my mind, be the most important consideration. Not sure if you can get "a deal" on leftover 07's as there is a several thousand dollar price increase on th 08's.

Over the hill,
    Is that a cobalt blue turbo you're sporting? I agree color is important. Any regrets or concerns? I love the color but it's hard to be stealthy. It sort of screams "I'm a rock star."....I just might be able to live with that. What do you think?

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    IMO PCCB is not a must have option. I have them and I'd rather have the steel ones.

Interesting comment. Any particular reason you say that? I'm getting steel brakes simply because I couldn't justify the massive premium we pay for PCCB in Australia.

I think that the must have options are:

LSD (cannot be had with tiptronic)
    Sport Chrono
    Adaptive Seats
    Sport shifter (6speed manual)
    6speed manual (don't really like tip)

I think that Larry (over the hill) probably doesn't like the PCCBs because they make it difficult to pull any "heel/toe" exercises when downshifting. Personally I think it just takes getting used to. I'd definitely get it again if I had to. I love my PCCBs. Best brakes in terms of overall feel/performance for me.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I think that the must have options are:

LSD (cannot be had with tiptronic)
    Sport Chrono
    Adaptive Seats
    Sport shifter (6speed manual)
    6speed manual (don't really like tip)

This man speaks the truth +

- Natural leather Interior ( I wish there was one in Black)
    - PCCB

Quote:
    atomic80 said:I think that Larry (over the hill) probably doesn't like the PCCBs because they make it difficult to pull any "heel/toe" exercises when downshifting. Personally I think it just takes getting used to. I'd definitely get it again if I had to. I love my PCCBs. Best brakes in terms of overall feel/performance for me.

Thanks atomic80. Maybe next time!

Also hats off to your car and the superb photos you've posted. Great job!

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    LSD, pccb!

The FIRST option is SC.

OK this is what I'm getting. In order of importance:

1) Sport Chrono package
    2) Adaptive seats
    3) Manual with LSD over tip
    4) PCCB
    5) Heated seats

Color is also critical but hard to rank. Any changes in priorities?

Porsche Crest on head rest

I have PCCB and love them but I don't think I'd consider them a "must have". That is strictly a "want" decision.

I hope to take and post more pictures soon. I've just got a few new "toys" for my car. Let's just say that they're SHINY bits and really serve to brighten up my dark interior.

I'm also not sure if natural leather is a MUST have item. It's as ChrisNY said, a "want" item. I love it though!

after a year of total enjoyment id classify these options as must have; adaptive sports seats , heated seats..in a car that costs 130k + they are expected at resale time , 6spd cause its just so much fun , sport chronos..again expected , short shifter...everything else is to your benefit... id never buy a car that i didnt like the color and there are some good ones without being overly picky...you wont be sorry

Must have: Sport Chrono and heated seats. As roadtrip says, they are expected on a car of this level. It's actually astonishing that a $130k car comes without heated seats, even if folks in Florida don't use them. On second thought, maybe not for Porsche, which always seems to find a way to charge the customer for something that is included for free in cars a fraction of the price.

Really, really nice to have: Adaptive sport seats, LSD, and SSK. I wouldn't buy another Turbo without them, but when push comes to shove, I don't think they are must have.

Owner preference: everything else. Icing on the cake.

In a 997TT the Sports Chrono is essential, everything else is gravy.

Heated seats, especially in a sports car, should only be required in the snow belt if you drive the car in the Winter. I have them and never turned them on (SF Bay Area). Heating seats is a sure recipe to ruining its leather surfaces too, after a while.

Quote:
    ADias said:

Heated seats, especially in a sports car, should only be required in the snow belt if you drive the car in the Winter. I have them and never turned them on (SF Bay Area). Heating seats is a sure recipe to ruining its leather surfaces too, after a while.

Not what the wife and girlfriend say. Heated seats make women verrrrry happy!

LOL. A must-have IMO.

Never heard the "ages leather" thing. Neglect ages leather I think.

Quote:
    Ksurg said:

1) Sport Chrono package
    2) Adaptive seats
    4) PCCB
    5) Heated seats

Ditto ~

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Ksurg said:

1) Sport Chrono package
    2) Adaptive seats
    4) PCCB
    5) Heated seats

Ditto ~

What he said.

Though I'd put heated seats above PCCB. I mean remember you'll be all excited and happy with the car for a some months and maybe a year (or two?!). THEN you'll get stuck with PCCB maintenance bill. It probably will not be a pleasure to pay at that point.

However if PCCBs have a demonstrable safety advantage over steel rotors on a _sanely_ driven car; then PCCBs get bumped higher to maybe number 1 or 2.

My personal color issues? Prefer a darker color because it shows all the vents, slats and wing less. No correct answer; just preferences.

First narrow it down to 2-3 top color choices. Then the must have items are :
    Adaptives
    LSD (if you get a 6 speed)
    SC (although the wart is a useless)
    Good hunting!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Not what the wife and girlfriend say. Heated seats make women verrrrry happy!

My wife won't let me have a girlfriend...

ha ha, best joke i heard today!

LSd not needed for road,only if you track it

Yes it is Cobalt Blue. At my age I would hardly consider myself a "boy racer" although I rather like the image.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688925 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408890 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255611 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234862 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65451 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857715 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773662 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM