Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cracked windshield - what would you do?

Brought car in for Porsche service. Technician must have dropped a tool on windshield (or test drove?!). There's a tiny chip and shallow 3-4mm crack which the service advisor was honorable enough to point out.

They said they will order a windshield and install it, no charge.

I wonder if I should ask them for the windshield, take it home and store it, and offer to call it even. Eventually if/when I get another bigger crack I'll pay installation for the "free" windshield.

Does this make sense? I'm just hesitant to let anybody mess with the factory-installed unit unless absolutely necessary (again, the crack is pretty small).

What would you do? Thanks for the reality check.

Re: Cracked windshield - what would you do?

Take it to a Novus type place and see if it's repairable. If it is it would make sense to get a "free" windshield, but then where do you keep a spare windshield?

Quote:
    MMD said:Does this make sense? I'm just hesitant to let anybody mess with the factory-installed unit unless absolutely necessary (again, the crack is pretty small).

That is the pessimist approach... I would fix it and get on with it. Windshields are replaced all the time. Yes there is a proper way to do it - i would make sure it is an OEM part and it follows the factory procedure, including reconnecting antennas, etc.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Brought car in for Porsche service. Technician must have dropped a tool on windshield (or test drove?!). There's a tiny chip and shallow 3-4mm crack which the service advisor was honorable enough to point out.

They said they will order a windshield and install it, no charge.

I wonder if I should ask them for the windshield, take it home and store it, and offer to call it even. Eventually if/when I get another bigger crack I'll pay installation for the "free" windshield.

Does this make sense? I'm just hesitant to let anybody mess with the factory-installed unit unless absolutely necessary (again, the crack is pretty small).

What would you do? Thanks for the reality check.

If I remember correctly, you seem to have had some serious concerns about the service you got from your dealer.

I can only point to my experience last year with my dealer when I had to have the windshield replaced. I left my car there, and they brought in a firm that does windshield replacements for them. They insisted on keeping the car one full day after the installation so that the adhesive would set properly.

They did a good job. I haven't had any leaks or further cracks, and I have original equipment glass put in. It cost me about $1,050. I had to pay extra for a rental as I left it longer than the three days free that the dealer gives in such situations.

Find out who your dealer gets to do the work, or do they do it themselves. In either case, try to find out - maybe through the local Better Business Bureau - if there have been any complaints about their service. If there are none, and if they seem to take a quality approach, I would get the job done there. But make sure they are using original equipment glass, not some cheap knockoff.

Jim

Let the dealer replace the windshield. Let him keep the car for 2 days if he'd like. Then go have some fun with his loaner car.

id do exactly what you thought...get the free windshield store it and drive the car till it really needs to be replaced...in the for what its worth dept i was having a windshield repaired with the epoxy product and when the epoxy was injected the entire winshield cracked big time...wont do that again

MMD, ask Carlos from Spain. He has had his windshield replaced several times from what I recall and the crack expands at a very fast rate, so you might want to think twice about pressing on with the cracked windshield.

In my personal experience, hang on to the origial windshield as long as you can because after I replaced mine, then the foloowing replacements came one after the other one. The factory installed windshield in my case seemed to be the toughest of the all. But I'm only speaking from my personal experience for what is worth.
    I'm on my fourth or fifth windshield, I lost count already, and its already chiped/cracked in more than three places. And its not road or driving related since in my ex-996 or previous cars I never had to replace the windshield not even once.
    If I were in your position I would get the windshield crack fixed on your own, if its fixable still (some cracks arn't), and hang on to the free replacement from the dealer for when you do need to change.

I just had a similar ding repaired in my windshield. Actually, I noticed I've picked up several tiny pits over the past year. However this is the only one that actually started a tiny crack, so I got it repaired immediately. I don't think I'll have the windshield replaced unless I get one of those 'serious' cracks.

MMD, I agree with you as to 'holding' that new windshield for when it will be needed. That is if the small crack or chip stays the same size and does not grow. I've used Novus on other cars and it does the trick.

Changing out the windshield - IF YOU DON"T HAVE TO - is just asking for something new and unknown. Window distortions? Leaking? Noises? etc.

Geez, thanks Guys! You're all such a great help. It's beautiful.

Just let them replace it and be done with it. Storing a windshield is crazy, at least around my house it would get broken in no time.
    FWIW I had a small 1-2" crack once at a DE, by the next morning the thing was cracked all the way across.

i say just let them replace and move on to bigger and better things.

Quote:
    Circe said:
    Let the dealer replace the windshield. Let him keep the car for 2 days if he'd like. Then go have some fun with his loaner car.

FWIW at the factory the windshield is installed by a robot with laser alignment. It becomes a structural part of the car. It's imperative that whomever replaces it knows what they are doing, otherwise problems will surely follow.

There may be a way to repair the windshield.

The reason why cracks expand is because the cracks spread, that is because the structural integerity is compromised by the debris that gets in there.

The way they repair is is they try to remove most of the particles that may have found its way into the small crack and then they seal it with a strong resin.

This is only applicable for small cracks and may not be the best solution for your situation.

It is also important to remember what Over the hill said about the windshield's factory install procedure and it's structurally integral nature.

Best

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    There may be a way to repair the windshield.

The reason why cracks expand is because the cracks spread, that is because the structural integerity is compromised by the debris that gets in there.

The way they repair is is they try to remove most of the particles that may have found its way into the small crack and then they seal it with a strong resin.

If you choose to 'repair' rather than 'replace' - do it sooner rather than later. Also cover the area with cellotape as soon as it happens to prevent dirt getting in.

This can be very effective, if performed early enough, and certainly prevents cracks from forming or spreading.

However, it is far from perfect... so, if the area is in your sight-line, there is no choice. i.e. you must replace or go cross-eyed!

IMHO replace the windshield, then add window coverage to your insurance policy.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761862 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435066 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260347 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257428 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80888 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871924 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807277 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM