Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test Drove Turbo - I'm Gettin' One: DONE

Drove my 997S to dealer to test drive used Turbo. Sales guy in car so couldn't pay total attention to car - too much blabbing on both our parts. Also keep in mind I'm an amateur; took a BMW "driver ed" track weekend about a dozen years ago: that's about it for me knowing what I'm talking about, sorry.

First impressions:

Don't get pi**ed at me but I'm soooo glad the 3200-4000 rpm drone of the 997S with stock exhaust is freeking GONE when cruising! That "engineered" sound bugs tha cr*p outta me. Maybe it's a gene that I have; so annoying to me that Porsche would build that "boy racer" sound effect into the 997s car (sorry, I have a pet peeve about that *incessant* needless drone).

Turbo exhaust note is subdued which is absolutely GREAT for me. No annoucing to every quiet household in my neighborhood that I'm goosing the car for a cheap thrill. No lone bicyclist on quiet rural highway hearing a "speeding ahole" coming up behind him and wondering if life really _is_ unfair and he's about to get catapulted into Eternity.

Cornering: the car is hugely more grippy in highway on ramp. Totally different car than my 997S. You can feel the thing grabbing the curve like the tires have claws digging into the ground chasing prey. The car seems to have a monsterous intent in rounding corners with one goal in mind: fast. Nothing is wasted wondering if there's enough "physics" to stay on the asphalt trail.

Lightness? It's great. Got no problem with that contradiction because within a few minutes I realized it's just an illusory sensation since the car's huge grip is actually more stable than the 2wd.

Steering less sensitive? Definitely worth the trade off. The thought crossed my mind why would anybody want a thicker wheel on this car uunless for arthritic hands? The car feels more like a killer road machine and less than a old-style 1960s sports car so thinner wheel keeps steering sensation as "light" as possible (maybe just my imagination).

Best part, worth all the trade offs IMO, when you pass on a two lane road the oncoming traffic appears to remain stationary! the pass is over so fast you have not a touch of the usual anxiety, the pass is over in "half" the time: amazing what a few seconds means when your "eating" a slowpoke car going about 50 mph. The 480 HP is actually __safer__ than the 355hp car! Other drivers probably get their panties less tightly jambed too since it's over so quickly. Use THAT to convince the wife you _need_ a Turbo if she wants the best chance to keep you alive.

The tiny delay for the Turbos to kick in? I found it interesting: it's like the car dutifully eases you into the blast off, a quick acceleration like the 997S and then, in a half second, "BAM!" a shove boosts you off to do what you gotta do. The lag is ZERO problem, as I tried to say: the delay is almost a safety feature getting you ready in a half second for the power surge. Maybe it will get annoying later when you get used to the car?

All in all? I'll "never" become a track guy so the TT is basically a road car. Since you can't responsibly burn your backside massacre-ing corners on public highways the steering-heaviness and diminished sports car feel in road handling isn't much of an issue for me.

Public rural highways require LOTS of power for passing, big brakes, lots of "swerve-avoidance-stickiness(?)," and the TT has _all_ this in spades. It IS the ultimate road car for guys who want to get somewhere without dawdling. It is the Ultimate road car for guys who love to drive while getting somewhere without dawdling. It is the Ultimate road car for guys who want to get somewhere without dawdling but are out on a Sunday drive and want to enjoy a "leisurely" drive.

Interstate highway: it is so great that the 997S drone is f'ing GONE. Because face it: interstate travel is BORING lots of the time and who needs a drilling, vibrating, numbing engine hummmm to grate on your nerves and fatigue your brain?

Didn't spend much time "test driving" in the Home Depot parking lot but the fact that the car is so tame in pedestrian-rich environments has got to be a plus.

I'm getting one. WOW!

Re: Test Drove Turbo - I'm Gettin' One: DONE

Congrats on your decision! So the rear wing doesn't bother you anymore?

Welcome to the Dark Side

Quote:
    Crash said:

LOL.

I figure I'll deal with it later.

Current thinking: just cut the friggin droopy ends off!

Yeah, I'll draw a straight square line _but_ then just cut the ends off!

Just DO it! Get it over with! ONE motion! CUT THEM OFF!

Wing problem will be smaller but immediate direct action with extreme prejudice and it's DONE.

Will worry about bondo-ing them and getting a repaint later.

Agree....high-powered cars w/appropriately precise/smart steering, brakes, chassis, stab ctrls, etc; and a stiff body structure, sport seats, etc (and an alert, decent driver) are so much safer than lesser cars/SUVs (and pseudo-safe cars like Volvo/Audi w/dubious active safety)....997TT is one of world's 2-3 best overall active/passive safety cars ....keep telling that to doubtful, jealous non-car nut colleagues...

For me, scariest part of driving a P was the one time I needed to drop car at dealer for some minor warranty svc (there's a reason I typically get rid of cars@<5K mis )....my P/Audi dealer gave me a new A8 as a loaner car.....was absolutely scared driving that car on normal, dry urban fwys at fully legal speeds....sloppy steering, spongy brakes, sloppy chassis, no tq....wondered how guys ever drive (let alone daily-commute via) a normal SUV/car and transition/adjust to new P/F on wkends....

Life's too short to not always commute via a car at least as dynamically capable/interesting/safe as a new 997TT...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

LOL.

I figure I'll deal with it later.

Current thinking: just cut the friggin droopy ends off!

Yeah, I'll draw a straight square line _but_ then just cut the ends off!

Just DO it! Get it over with! ONE motion! CUT THEM OFF!

Wing problem will be smaller but immediate direct action with extreme prejudice and it's DONE.

Will worry about bondo-ing them and getting a repaint later.

You seem like you like to cut short any unpleasantries .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Don't get pi**ed at me but I'm soooo glad the 3200-4000 rpm drone of the 997S with stock exhaust is freeking GONE when cruising! That "engineered" sound bugs tha cr*p outta me. Maybe it's a gene that I have; so annoying to me that Porsche would build that "boy racer" sound effect into the 997s car (sorry, I have a pet peeve about that *incessant* needless drone).

A 911 wouldn't be a 911 if it was quiet. I thought that the stock exhaust sounded pretty good, but the PSE is by far my favorite option. It really enhances driving the 997S. If the 997TT came with PSE, I would order one.

As for the stock 997TT exhaust, when I testdrove the 997TT, it didn't sound as bad as I thought after reading so many negative comments. But I still want the PSE.

Quote:
    MMD said:Turbo exhaust note is subdued which is absolutely GREAT for me. No annoucing to every quiet household in my neighborhood that I'm goosing the car for a cheap thrill. No lone bicyclist on quiet rural highway hearing a "speeding ahole" coming up behind him and wondering if life really _is_ unfair and he's about to get catapulted into Eternity.

Quote:
    MMD said:I'm getting one. WOW!

Congratulations.

The 997tt appears to be the perfect car for you. Go for it. It is an excellent car.

Are you buying new or used?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

A 911 wouldn't be a 911 if it was quiet. I thought that the stock exhaust sounded pretty good, but the PSE is by far my favorite option. It really enhances driving the 997S. If the 997TT came with PSE, I would order one.

As for the stock 997TT exhaust, when I testdrove the 997TT, it didn't sound as bad as I thought after reading so many negative comments. But I still want the PSE.

Nah..., really I know where you're coming from and if you drove me around in your eventual PSE-equipped TT I would probably be all smiles and want to do it to my car. No kidding. It's all about enjoyment.

But sometimes my exhuberant mood changes and I don't want to be noticed. IOW, I don't my brain to start thinking the occupants of houses I pass, or drivers I pass are suffering by thinking there're "under threat."

So, it's all good, or at least okay.

As long as you're not some fkng Harley with short pipes blasting down an urban canyon when people are out enjyoing themselves having ice cream on Sunday.

I dunno.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The 997tt appears to be the perfect car for you. Go for it. It is an excellent car.

Are you buying new or used?

Thanks. When you guys with lots of track experience, or you who read and understand more fully more magazines than I debate the finer points I try to see all sides.

For me directly? I'm lucky enough to be able to own one _and_ appreciate it first hand in my own not-too-shabby way. It's a great car for what I want to use it for.

Dealer's trying to find a new 2007 for me sitting on a lot somewhere.

Much as we gripe about Porsche's recent determination to be all things to all people, incl trucks and sedans, they should be lauded for giving today's US market 911 buyer the ability to chose a basic 997 or a GT3RS in normally aspirated form or a commute / family friendly Turbo vs a GT2 in forced induction . When I started buying 911s in the mid 80s, a " special " 911 was something like a " Clubsport " model that basically deleted door pockets, glove box door and other mostly American car company style " badge engineering " marketing gimmicks. Even as recently as model year 2000, a " special " 996 would be sold as an eggplant colored " millenium " edition with " 911 " rear badging- whoopy.

great decision , based on your brief report your gonna like this car more everyday..the wait begins

Quote:
    WBH said:...wondered how guys ever drive (let alone daily-commute via) a normal SUV/car and transition/adjust to new P/F on wkends....

I have absolutely no trouble changing from my everyday Mercedes GL450 to the weekend Carrera GT and back.

Maybe you need to drive several different styles of cars more often (get out more?)

Quote:
    MMD said:... Don't get pi**ed at me but I'm soooo glad the 3200-4000 rpm drone of the 997S with stock exhaust is freeking GONE when cruising! That "engineered" sound bugs tha cr*p outta me. Maybe it's a gene that I have; so annoying to me that Porsche would build that "boy racer" sound effect into the 997s car (sorry, I have a pet peeve about that *incessant* needless drone).

... Interstate highway: it is so great that the 997S drone is f'ing GONE. Because face it: interstate travel is BORING lots of the time and who needs a drilling, vibrating, numbing engine hummmm to grate on your nerves and fatigue your brain?

... I'm getting one. WOW!

I agree completely with your reaction to droning Porsche exhaust systems.

It's a very good thing that you didn't try a 996TT equipped with the X50 motor or "S" package. If you had, you might have been run off by its exhaust noises. Its drone at typical freeway commuting speeds might be worse than your 997S.

I consider my decision to buy my 996TT Cab with the X50 motor package WITHOUT HAVING HEARD IT FIRST to be one of my more disappointing auto purchasing mistakes, ever. After the fact, ordering the standard motor would have been so much sweeter.

I think that's just part of his "Let them eat cake" routine.

Even if WBH/VKSF were telling the truth about owning any of these cars... he certainly wouldn't be enjoying them at their prime. (after 5K miles)
    Maybe he's a valet at the dealership.

MMD- congrats on pulling the trigger.

I thought you already made your mind up a while back?

Quote:
    Texas911 said:
    I thought you already made your mind up a while back?

Hehe.., yeah.

I guess it's because:

A "while back" was like the effects of a few sessions of psychotherapy.

The test drive was more effective: like an electroshock treatment.

Congrats on your decision MMD and thanx for the nice write up! Always great to read some genuine positive opinions from drivers with similar needs/profile to my own. Hope you find something to you liking FAST!

Which is why Porsche catered to the Mercedes crowd and softened the turbo. I buy my Porsche's because they are one of the few cars on the road which makes you feel as though you are in a race car. If I wanted a Mercedes, I'd buy one.

Keep my Porsches sounding as they should. The neighbors should know I'm coming.

Not trying to offend anyone (Sorry if I have) but it's a Porsche not an everyday sports sedan.

Oh, congratulations. Enjoy in good health!

Quote:
    devo said:
    Which is why Porsche catered to the Mercedes crowd and softened the turbo. I buy my Porsche's because they are one of the few cars on the road which makes you feel as though you are in a race car. If I wanted a Mercedes, I'd buy one.

Not trying to offend anyone (Sorry if I have) but it's a Porsche not an everyday sports sedan.

I think the GT2 is the car you are looking for.

Great decision.....you've made the right choice. What color and specs are you looking for....?

Quote:
    MMD said:

The test drive was more effective: like an electroshock treatment.

I don't understand why dealers are not pushing test drives at every visit to the dealer.

This week I had a 45 min wait at the Audi dealer for the Q7 service, and thought: I'd like to try an S8. No go...

The way it should be is that a sales person comes to you saying: "let's not waste your time here today, what would you like to test drive while you wait? How about the brand new super duper whatever we have in stock?"

I went 4 times to the Porsche dealer in the last 3 months, the guy knows I was dying for the TT cab to be released, I bought 3 new Porsche in 4 years there already. I was never offered a test drive in a TT coupe.

Quote:
    devo said:

A.M.E.N.

I'f you were going for president, you had my vote

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

I went 4 times to the Porsche dealer in the last 3 months, the guy knows I was dying for the TT cab to be released, I bought 3 new Porsche in 4 years there already. I was never offered a test drive in a TT coupe.

Tell 'em to find you a used one (to test drive - not buy) on the lot (or another lot) somewhere? Maybe they need a kick in the a** to do what's right.

It's like the impersonal/statistical motivations behind the policy of not overprescribing antibiotics. They don't care if _you_ are sick, just as long as lots of people don't get sick.

The Porsche dealers don't care who gets to buy their desireable cars because they know they will sell their their entire allocation without a problem (or test drive hassles).

I didn't get to test drive one until after I gave my deposit for an allocation slot. I don't think that was the reason I got to test drive it, though. It was the first one to come in that hadn't already been spoken for - metor over black/gray. The meteor is very nice. Don't judge the color by the photos posted on the forums, it has far more depth in person.

Great report! Best of luck securing the TT!

Great review ! You've convinced me even more, as if I needed it.

Did you get the stick or tip ?

nice to see that a real person understands what the car is for in the real world. the 997tt is by far the best every day driver you can get. For me it replaced a 996 C4S which was great, but the 997 Turbo is in another league by itself.
    An old friend used to have a license plate that no one understood.. PNECC ..

"Porsche ... nothing else comes close" .. no truer words have been spoken.

Quote:
    Tireman said:

"Porsche ... nothing else comes close" .. no truer words have been spoken.

Hehehe, very true. I'd have to say it's the ultimate daily driver super car.

It's without the extreme supercar cost and the insufferable lack of practicality.

WOW.

All I can figure is that the power of the TT must really be intoxicating for MMD to buy a car with all those extraneous wings and vents and speed holes. I really should (or shouldn't, I guess) go drive one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776615 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441480 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260795 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85080 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815613 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM