Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Stefan,

488 GTB is quicker. Test examples achived 25.4s and 24.9s for 0-300km/h. 

KresoF1:

Stefan,

Oh, really? Smiley

From the last test in ams I had something like 26.xx in mind? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

McLaren has amazing launch control tuning.

For rwd cars, I don't think they have peers.

--

it even beats your GT3RS launch control?

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

650S beats Gt3RS far far ahead, after it passes130km/hr, it went disappearing with GT3RS.....  Gt3RS is not a straightline machine for sure, but on twisties, 650S is having hard time catching up....

You misunderstand me - I meant the traction for launch 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

The system now these days are pretty good for both cars.... McLaren is a bit lighter but a bit smaller in width for the rear tires... but they are the same on dry conditions...

EnglishManInNY:

it even beats your GT3RS launch control?

Oh yeah. 

Ferrari, Porsche are not even close in getting to the limit of adhesion for tires on launches. When I had my 12C, which was before my 918,  the only thing remotely close to the launch G forces was the 997 Turbo, which is awd. My Speciale wasn't close. It spins the tires mostly of the time.

Ferrari's are especially bad, it either spins the tires endlessly or just bogged down. It's not even a fair fight.

--

McLaren 675LT Spider 2016 review

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mclaren/675lt/95172/mclaren-675lt-spider-2016-review

KresoF1:

Official 0-300km/h for 570S is 26.5s and I can already told you that in forthcoming German car press tests two examples of press cars marginally missed that number. 

The 650s achieved like 26s in the car press... The 570 should be a bit slower Smiley

Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Stefan,

Oh, really? Smiley

Also, there are many reports by owners that their 488 does not rev until 8000rpm. I am not sure how fast real customer cars actually are, to be quite frank Smiley

MKSGR:
    Rossi:
    KresoF1:

Stefan,

Oh, really? Smiley

Also, there are many reports by owners that their 488 does not rev until 8000rpm. I am not sure how fast real customer cars actually are, to be quite frank Smiley

I read about that. IMO it's a big mistake from Ferrari. After cars like the 458 or Speciale the rev limit of 8000 rpm was too low. They should have given the new car 8.250 rpm at least, better 8500 rpm, even if those rev don't bring an advantage in acceleration.
    But if they now even don't achieve the 8000 rpm (I read something about 7500 to 7800) Ferrari has a serious problem. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Example that SA tested got 25.6s for 0-300km/h amd revd till 8000rpm without any problems. 

Just... 488 do not rev till 8000rpm until oil and coolant reach optimal temperature. Same as Blue light warning on 991 GT3.

KresoF1:

Example that SA tested got 25.6s for 0-300km/h amd revd till 8000rpm without any problems. 

Just... 488 do not rev till 8000rpm until oil and coolant reach optimal temperature. Same as Blue light warning on 991 GT3.

I don't think that temperature is an issue, some owners say the problem is they can't rev to 8000 rpm. Smiley

--

KresoF1:

You can even see the problem with the 488 in various acceleration videos on the Internet. Maybe it is a software failure or a reliability problem. It seems possible that the test got specially prepared cars that are different from customer cars.

An owner on FerrariChat said it does 8000, but only when launch control is used.

Markus, I kind of have the feeling that your next car is going to be a McLaren Spider (whatever model) and not a 991.2 Turbo S convertible? Or am I wrong? Smiley

I am very attracted to the new McLaren models and yes, traction never has really been an issue on McLaren cars. I remember that 12C I test-drove, unbelievable traction and the ESP was so well programmed that I basically was able to stay on the throttle without having to worry. A bit restrictive maybe for real pros but most of us are above average talented drivers but no pros, so perfect setup!

Kind of regretting the fact that I couldn't attend that McLaren event in Boxberg in April... Smiley Or maybe I was luck, otherwise I may have ended up with a 570S in my garage, who knows?! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Markus, I kind of have the feeling that your next car is going to be a McLaren Spider (whatever model) and not a 991.2 Turbo S convertible? Or am I wrong? Smiley

Good question Smiley Right now, it is the turbo S - however, I have to confess that the LT675 Spider has raised my interest more and more recently - primarily as a result of Futch's review...

koko:

Nothing, you sounded like like much older guy with your I'm getting tired with exotics comment. 

Have you thought about selling your C12?

Aaaaaand it's this close to being up for sale. Just fired off a long angry email to corporate. 99% of the cars are great, mine is just always broke. Lemon.

What's wrong with it?  

Just had it in to fix a bunch of issues with either sensors or electronics or whatever, as well as service. I get it back, and a few hundred miles later I get the same errors that disables drive modes (suspension, powertrain, and manual shifting). I let the car sit a bit, start it up and it's still there. I let it sit longer, it goes away... until I get gas and it comes back. Now it's gone again. Who knows when it will come back.

There is obviously something wrong if I'm getting the same specific errors that result in the same specific problems.

This is after I make an 800 mile round trip to drop it off and pick it up in December. Warranty expires in 2 weeks and I'll be traveling for the next month.

noone1:

Just had it in to fix a bunch of issues with either sensors or electronics or whatever, as well as service. I get it back, and a few hundred miles later I get the same errors that disables drive modes (suspension, powertrain, and manual shifting). I let the car sit a bit, start it up and it's still there. I let it sit longer, it goes away... until I get gas and it comes back. Now it's gone again. Who knows when it will come back.

There is obviously something wrong if I'm getting the same specific errors that result in the same specific problems.

This is after I make an 800 mile round trip to drop it off and pick it up in December. Warranty expires in 2 weeks and I'll be traveling for the next month.

Why don't you leave the car at the dealership and ask them to fix the issues. Make a written statement/request, list all issues (as precise as possible) and as far as I know, the warranty will be still in effect for (the same unresolved) issues, even when the warranty expires. Just do it...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The problem is recurring. Same errors they've tried to fix before. They fix things, do updates, etc, send the car back to me and it works fine and then several hundred miles later it happens again. I once had them fix the car, and the second I got it off the shipping truck at my house, it threw the same error again. The problems are so random that unless they keep the car and drive it around constantly, they never seem aware when things are actually fixed or not because it passes their driving tests and there is no indication of problems.

The car was picked up yesterday ($800 of the cost on me) and is at the dealer now, and I'm almost positive they won't figure out what's wrong. They never do. Same thing has been happening for years, so it seems clear there is something wrong with the car and they really have no idea what it is. I half expect them to call back saying they can't find anything wrong with the car and that it's was just a random error.

Whether it keeps happening and they keep agreeing to fix it for free even after the warranty expires is irrelevant because transportation to/from the dealer is not free or easy. It's like 400 miles to the closest dealer. Can cost like $1200-1500 each way to ship the car, or 6 hours of awful driving each way + plane ticket to get back, and I don't get to use the car for weeks. If it was just a random dash light that was an error and didn't actually do anything and could easily be cleared it would be one thing, but I'm not going to keep a car that can disable major functions of the car whenever it randomly feels like it and I have no way of clearing.

Different dealer maybe? yes How about contacting McLaren directly? Don't let go, in the end, you will be very unhappy with your car (if you're not already...).

--

I contacted them this weekend and will be getting a response from the regional manager for NA shortly and will see where it goes.

I really don't think it's a dealer issue. I mean, I picked the car up last time and it was totally fine for the next few hundred miles of the drive home. One issue last time had to actually be fixed by McLaren themselves analyzing data they pulled because after like a week of looking at everything they could think of, the techs just couldn't figure it out. It ended up being some random sensor causing it to throw a code for something that wasn't actually happening. The flashing and then solid CEL said it had been misfiring when in fact it wasn't.

It's a very high-end dealer and every time I go in there, there are all kinds of multi-million dollars cars in there like MC12 GT3, F40,  Pagani, Koenigsegg, P1, etc. It's the main Ferrari and Aston Martin dealer for Chicago as well, so I believe they are quite competent and I've never heard anything bad about the dealer.

noone1:

I contacted them this weekend and will be getting a response from the regional manager for NA shortly and will see where it goes.

I really don't think it's a dealer issue. I mean, I picked the car up last time and it was totally fine for the next few hundred miles of the drive home. One issue last time had to actually be fixed by McLaren themselves analyzing data they pulled because after like a week of looking at everything they could think of, the techs just couldn't figure it out. It ended up being some random sensor causing it to throw a code for something that wasn't actually happening. The flashing and then solid CEL said it had been misfiring when in fact it wasn't.

It's a very high-end dealer and every time I go in there, there are all kinds of multi-million dollars cars in there like MC12 GT3, F40,  Pagani, Koenigsegg, P1, etc. It's the main Ferrari and Aston Martin dealer for Chicago as well, so I believe they are quite competent and I've never heard anything bad about the dealer.

Well, I guess it is in their own interest to find a permanent solution, fixing your problem. 

--

noone1:

You bought a car with no service centre near you?

Such is McLaren ownership. They really don't have that many dealers in the US and quite a lot of people have some decent distance between them and the dealer. Most, however, don't have this many problems. I figured once a year drive to Chicago and stay with friends for a few days while they do the standard stuff, and just have them address any other issues at the same time.

I would never in a million years expected this many problems, and especially not for them to be recurring/unfixed upon return.

Won't be buying another McLaren unless I live near the dealer.

noone1:

Such is McLaren ownership. They really don't have that many dealers in the US and quite a lot of people have some decent distance between them and the dealer.

I'd have to go a long way - nothing in Colorado.  Either Texas or Arizona (maybe 1,300km or so)

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

noone1:

Such is McLaren ownership. They really don't have that many dealers in the US and quite a lot of people have some decent distance between them and the dealer. Most, however, don't have this many problems. I figured once a year drive to Chicago and stay with friends for a few days while they do the standard stuff, and just have them address any other issues at the same time.

I would never in a million years expected this many problems, and especially not for them to be recurring/unfixed upon return.

Won't be buying another McLaren unless I live near the dealer.

And, such is life in a country colossally larger than the UK.  I would have done the same as noone1 had I wanted a Mac badly, and made the same assumptions re. reliability.  In fact I did buy a 911 with no local dealer (dealer did appear after 2 years though).  

As others said, I hope you can get these gremlins resolved; I know you said no to a new one, but forcing them to take yours on trade for a 650 may be one way out of a rare lemon - a new one is unlikely to repeat the issues, and if you are truly done with exotics for awhile you could just sell the new one.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689596 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409240 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858000 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774054 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM