Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Brightly Colored 997 -YIKES! Ever see yourself?

Was on a long drive on interstate. Yellow Carrera ahead of me. Gotta tell ya all I saw was that Carrera for the 100 miles of road.

It got further ahead, it got MILES ahead, then I got closer, got way ahead again, then I caught up (I guess we were both cop hunting).

My point: despite moderate traffic that YELLOW car seemed to stand out like a sore thumb the whole trip no matter how far ahead it was.

Do you guys know you are visible constantly? I mean EVERYBODY sees you and knows your every move. Not a problem if you're obeying all speed limits.

YIKES!! FWIW

(just trying to help)

Re: Brightly Colored 997 -YIKES! Ever see yourself?

A yellow, red, .. car really brightens up todays silver/grey/black traffic. I've got nothing against a bright coloured sportscar, looks fabolous! Definitely speedgelb..

Re: Brightly Colored 997 -YIKES! Ever see yoursel

A speed-yellow Porsche does stand out but it definitely is not a sore thumb. Beautiful color!

I don't think it was the color that had you so focused on the car it was the fact you're also a Porschephile. Think about it do you get compulsively fixated like that on yellow taxi cabs? You need to chill imo live and let live.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    A speed-yellow Porsche does stand out but it definitely is not a sore thumb. Beautiful color!

Oh?

Sore thumb: was referring to the fact that the grey ribbon of road with the greens and browns of trees and grass, along with the pale blue sky that surround the highway exist in stark contrast to SY because it is a vibrant unnatural color. IOW, you see it even when miles away and you can't avoid seeing it. Cops are verrry aware of "sore thumbs."

BTW, I wouldn't call the car "beautiful" when it's a few yards away. JMO.

Quote:
    MMD said:... the grey ribbon of road with the greens and browns of trees and grass, along with the pale blue sky that surround the highway exist in stark contrast to SY ...

MMD: you are a poet!

Seems everyone under 35 years old is so conservative when it comes to car colors . My pop theory : must be due to growing up addicted to playing dark/moody /violent antisocial video games and seeing the world aggressively in silvers and blacks . OTOH, we grey hairs who blossomed in the 60s Carnaby Street /" flower power " era love bright colors . Many Porsches in the 60s/early 70s were orange/green/purple/yellow/blues compared to the drab white/tan/silver/black cars our rigidly conformist parents drove

I LOVE them in every color- just prefer mine in AS.

My 15 yr old nephew still can't understand why I didn't get SY.

Leaving personal colour preferences aside and focusing on the cop-magnet aspect, bright coloured sports cars attract more attention (much of it unwanted).

For this reason I prefer stealthy black, grey and silver cars (even though I am an over 35-year-old ex-hippie who never plays video games).

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:... the grey ribbon of road with the greens and browns of trees and grass, along with the pale blue sky that surround the highway exist in stark contrast to SY ...

MMD: you are a poet!

Aw shucks. You are too kind. I just got lucky. Thanks for not getting miffed by my "rebuttal" to your apt sore thumb observation.

BTW, I'm _NOT_ criticizing people's color choices! Live life and enjoy!!

Just pointing out the effects of SY that I was obsessed with during this recent road trip. The whole time I was like, "Oh! I can't wait to initiate a discussion on Renn team," insane I know... .

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Leaving personal colour preferences aside and focusing on the cop-magnet aspect, bright coloured sports cars attract more attention (much of it unwanted).

For this reason I prefer stealthy black, grey and silver cars (even though I am an over 35-year-old ex-hippie who never plays video games).

Take a car, then go speeding/ weaving around our typical California roads and I guarantee the Highway Patrol will nab you whether your car is yellow , silver or flat beige.

BTW, what goes around comes around. I still wear my hair to my shoulders , a reaction in the 60s/70s to the " corporate " short hair/ crew cuts of our fathers. Of course the current early 30 -something year olds of my nephews' generation all have bald or closely cropped heads . Now the boys who are in the 10-17 y/o range of my kids all have long hair stuffed under their baseball caps !

At the USGP last year, there was a Ferrari car show in downtown Indianapolis. About 90% of the cars were red or yellow. Out of curiousity, I walk up to one of the State Patrol guys (smokey bear hat and all), point at the row of shiny cars with the sun beaming down on them, and ask, "So which one of these colors is the most obvious?" He grins, pauses, and says, "Red. When I used to run traffic I gave more tickets to red cars that anything else." With as bright as their yellow is, I though surely he'd say yellow, but no, it's red. So there's a real world data point for you.

Yeah, supposedly red and black are the two most ticketable colors.

I got two speeding tickets in my whole entire life.

One was in a _black_ rental car 15 minutes after leaving the airport! M't'h'r'f'k'r!

BTW, brightly colored car that's driving frisky also MIGHT be target for aholes with cell phones that like to report "wreckless" driving.

Who knows, the bright color might be just enough to stimulate their reptilian brain to actually make the call.

Not sure if calls to 911 for our frisky driving are taken seriously though.

This notion makes you wanna keep a low profile at all times, huh?

I've gotten a few tickets in my life.

One was in a black Audi A6 wagon. Boring and stealthy. Actually not boring at all, a great car.

The rest were in my maroon / red '65 Mustang convertable, or my red 325i convertable. Go figure.

In case you're scratching your head and saying, "I don't remember them selling the 65 'stang in two-tone", you're correct. My red car had been in a serious enough accident (before I stupidly bought it) and the drivers door was replaced from a red junker. Of course, the keys were never changed, so I always had to unlock the passanger side and crawl across. Also, the frame was bent enough that the clutches lasted about three months. I got pretty good at replacing a clutch ...

Oh, to be young and foolish. Not.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    This notion makes you wanna keep a low profile at all times, huh?

One should refuse to live in fear.

According to a friend who used to be a California Highway Patrol officer, the most ticketable car to him and some of his his colleagues tended to have smoked/darkened windows, since the coastal part of the Bay Area is not hot like places such as Las Vegas ,Texas or Arizona where a lot of cars have that done. That usually meant to them someone who was " into cars " and therefore more likely to speed or weave , whether it was a sports car or an econobox , red or beige - didn't matter - and a car they tended to " pace " from behind with good success.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    According to a friend who used to be a California Highway Patrol officer, the most ticketable car to him and some of his his colleagues tended to have smoked/darkened windows, since the coastal part of the Bay Area is not hot like places such as Las Vegas ,Texas or Arizona where a lot of cars have that done. That usually meant to them someone who was " into cars " and therefore more likely to speed or weave , whether it was a sports car or an econobox , red or beige - didn't matter - and a car they tended to " pace " from behind with good success.

Very fascinating how various cop cultures think. Sounds logical in the example you cite.

Sad that no matter how well we think we know how they think the chances of not getting a speeding ticket by such knowledge isn't diminished much.

The best knowledge for ST avoidance is "situational awareness."

Quote:
    MMD said:The best knowledge for ST avoidance is "situational awareness."

... and to help that a V1.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:The best knowledge for ST avoidance is "situational awareness."

... and to help that a V1.

That's a big ten-four good buddy.

I have Passport (8500?) and V1. The V1 wins. The arrows eliminate annoying variables.

the best that i like about V1 is its ability to upgrade to a newer firmware from time to time... sometimes, even hardware, i have a 10 years old V1 and was still able to get it upgraded for laser detection.

I am glad that Porsche has left us a couple of exciting colors to match the excitement of our cars.

I have never owned a radar detector, obey all speed limits, and go to the track every month in the spring/summer months. Why even take a chance by driving aggressively on the street?

One of my best life-long friends comes from a "law enforcement" family. So ever since high-school, I've partied with a bunch of cops, mostly Sheriff deputies, with some local PD and state officers mixed-in...

They could give two hoots about what the color of the damn car is. Sure, if it's bright neon orange, they'll see it coming in a crowd... But it doesn't matter if you're in a yellow Porsche, or a tan Buick... If the gun reads 10mph or more over the posted limit, you're getting pulled. From that point forward, your best hope is to be polite, prepared, good humored, and you may just get a warning if the cop deems you to be deserving of a "break" by not forcing him to suffer through a bunch of crap-ass attitude or ignorant stories/excuses... Knocking on wood, I've gotten off the hook several times in my life, just by being respectful and "real".

One time, I was clocked doing at least 120 on a rural two-laner, RACING a twin-turbo Supra in my '93 Corvette 6-speed.. He comes to my window, I've got my license and registration at-the-ready, I address him with "sir" as appropriate, and upon asking me the traditional "why were you going so fast", I replied honestly, "I was racing that Supra, I've been dying to get a piece of one, came across this guy leaving town, and I couldn't resist..". The guy nodded, said "fair enough", and walked to the Supra's window to have a chat and collect documents. Then, back to the cruiser to check out our history... 3-4 long minutes later, he emerges, and walks back to me first, hands me back my license and reg, and says "you're free to go... The fella up there you were racin'?... He's getting a big ticket, tried to bullshit and argue with me... I appreciate your honesty, have a nice day, and slow the hell down.."

Most of the cars I see pulled are normal-colored cheap commuter cars and SUV's, people running 90mph on the Interstate just "because", with no real I.Q. for the risks involved... I rarely ever see a high-end sports car pulled, as usually the drives of such vehicles have a decent head on their shoulders, and aren't just barrelling about for no good reason on the interstate or highway.

Oh, by the way, I pulled that Supra twice, by 2-3 lengths running 50mph and pulling up north of 140... I had a few minor mods, and it was enough to be stouter than the 320hp Supra.. We were clocked in the midst of the Supra's 3rd futile attempt at trying to stick with me. I know, no racing on public roads... We were out of town, country road, and it was just us.... And the Sheriff hidden off that blind drive

69bossnine:

Oh, and another helpful hint: Cops like it when you go ahead and pull YOURSELF over... After all, you KNOW when you're flat busted, so why make them have to go through the risky process of snaking up through traffic to get behind you with the lights flashing? Just proactively pull over and wait, you may as well start scoring your brownie points from the earliest moment possible... And if he was after someone else in your party, or a group of cars, he'll pass you up and focus on the others who are trying to snake away, just for the point of it...

That was another mitigating circumstance with my previous story. I saw the cop pull out behind us as we were careening along at triple-digits, and I immediately hit the brakes, and came all the way down and pulled-off. The Supra did not do so right away, and wound up making him take chase, pull him over, and had him follow back to where I was... He certainly wasn't off to a good start, and then he apparantly had an attitude to boot...

I can recall a few other times that I went ahead and hit the side of the road the moment I knew I was cooked, and came away with just a warning, and usually a "thanks" for having pulled over right away. This is especially effective when you get nailed by radar by a moving patrol car heading in the opposite direction... While he's busy doing a crazy and abrupt U-turn, contemplating all sorts of possibilities, he turns around and finds you already stopped on the side of the road, surrendering... More often than not you've already cemented your pardon, and he'll just run your license to make certain you're not "wanted". Of course, there are always those cops who just don't care, and write the tickets without consideration for anything.. But I always try and cover every angle I can, and it's worked damn often...

69boss, I entirely agree. Very well reasoned posts.

I frankly don't give a crap if my car stands out like a 'sore thumb,' or whether my neighbors think I'm showing off. I bought my car as a hedonistic purchase to make *me* happy. I wanted a car that spoke to me every time I open the garage, with a 'Hey, Ho, Let's Go'.

The streets are filled full of grays, dark blues, silvers, and black. These are great colors for Lexuses. . . and a Pcar 'can' pull off a bright color.

I know a few people who admire my car but didn't have the balls to pull off yellow (or red), and cover up their color choice with reasons of 'didn't want the attention' or 'worried about what the neighbors/boss/wife/gf/coworkers will think.' Life's too short and too fragile to not get what you really want.

Finally, on attracting attention, I get lots of thumbs up and smiles. People seem to find a yellow porsche to be very approachable. I've had 3 black 911s (996 C2 aero, 996 GT3, 997S) and 2 yellow 911s (996 C4S and 997 GT3). I drove them all in the same neighborhoods, commuting routes, and used the same gas stations. Both yellow cars got lots of *positive* attention, but my black cars were either ignored or I'd occasionally get the stink eye at the pump (who does he think he is, rich bastard). Yellow seems to make a very expensive and somewhat exclusive car, approachable.

Next, somebody is going to post about the joy of driving around a dirty M3. Heh.

Very interesting read, 69boss I always have been wondering, whether this "bright cars catch more cop-attention fear" is an urban legend in the US (I recall the topic being discussed more than once here on Rennteam).
    Over here in Germany I never heard about such a thing.
    Also I don't believe that P-cars or other sportscars get special attention by the German police. In fact a friend of mine (head of an Autobahn police station) told me, that they almost never have issues with P-cars, but that Audi Avants are on the top of their "watch-list"

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    This is especially effective when you get nailed by radar by a moving patrol car heading in the opposite direction... While he's busy doing a crazy and abrupt U-turn, contemplating all sorts of possibilities, he turns around and finds you already stopped on the side of the road, surrendering... More often than not you've already cemented your pardon, and he'll just run your license to make certain you're not "wanted".

Freekin' Beautiful! Thank you so much.

Quote:
    frayed said:

Next, somebody is going to post about the joy of driving around a dirty M3. Heh.

LOL! That's my cue, right?

I actually did that in college (320i not an M3); put a coat of wax on, left haze on, drove a salty dirty winter in Boston and never washed the car til spring. No vandalism on campus, no theft on roads. It _seemed_ nobody gave a cr*p about the dirty too-nice-to-not-mess up car.

I love Porsche Speed Yellow.

I like to call it "Safety Yellow" as people see you coming and get out of your way. Perhaps it has to do with our programming to see Yellow as a dangerous color (hornets, bees, and snakes). I don't know...people seem to drive in the left lane at slow speeds less often when I am in a yellow porsche.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752931 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430595 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258546 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255432 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5254 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868201 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801739 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM