Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

sport chrono and mlti fct steering wheel

Hello all-
    Just ordered my first porsche-C4S Cab-for October delivery
    Power seat, Carrera sport wheel, self dimming mirrors, heated seats, nav and bose.

Wondering about sport chrono option and the multi-fct steering wheel. Necesary? Useful? Other must haves?
    Thanks

Re: sport chrono and mlti fct steering wheel

sports exhaust!!

sport chrono is a must and multi-function steering wheel can live without but good to have, only problem is sport steering wheel does not come with multi-fucntion. So i would choice sports seat along with sport steering wheel

I consider the Sport chrono the most useless option there is. And the lap timer is totally useless.I never use it.
    The Bose is not worth the money ( especially if you turn on the PSE . Lol )
    I use the multifunction steering wheel constantly .
    It's the one option I would never do without .

Definitely get the PSE and I also recommend the Sport shifter .

As you can see, everybody seems to have different priorities . Get what you think you want when you order the car . It's cheaper than to add it later .

MF wheel what does it do best? My most valued function: My BMW MFW has a simple pause/mute button. AFAIK P does not. It DOES change tracks and stations right? Still..., no pause for CD on wheel (or anywhere convenient)? What WERE they thinking?

SC is a gadget and there's no shame in getting a gadget-ified car. It's fun for pushing when you let someone else drive your car (try to do it furtively). The SC also has other non-related stuff which is very convenient. The Poseresque Wart can be removed from dash (if still reviled after a trial period) and hole patched with a fake speaker grille. Get it!

Heated seats is a no brainer. I secretly turn it on and, in mere minutes, the wife (or girlfriend) shuts up and falls asleep.

BOSE, get it _if_ only for the wiring and speaker holes and grilles. It's slightly better than standard too (so I hear -pun!-).

NAV is a freekin' joke. BUT I got it because I didn't like _more_ useless buttons. Fun AND EASY to use in map mode so you can see your alternate roads (to a point: it is ALSO awkward and drops the roads you're on if you zoom out too much and for other non-user-friendly reasons). I suppose I would use it if I had a complicated route to follow BUT by the time I familiarized myself YET AGAIN with it's puzzling inputs I would get there faster with a paper map in my hand. Plus, lots of construction going on and no CD update..., hummm..., gets more useless by the day. Plus I ain't paying us$500 for the stupid update, are you?

PSE? It's merely sound, if you like more sound, get it. I don't like the irregularity of this analogy but here goes: kinda like the dog whose bark is worse than it's bite.

Sport shifter: what's your personality? If you like to Tango (fast,sharp,jerk-to-stop) get it.

I'd get all these options just to have them ( it's supposed to be fun, right?) but if I had..., say..., a us$100K self-imposed psychological limit on spending for a freekin _car_ I'd pass on some of them.

Fun huh?!

Dump Sport Chrono

Placebo effect only. Does not affect performance. PSM can be switched off and the car handles just fine without it.

Re: Dump Sport Chrono

The thicker steering wheel option XPA is the one I'd get. It has the round air bag imo much better looking than the triangle multi-function one and has nicer smooth leather on the steering wheel ring than standard. You definitely want Sport Chrono it's especially great when you get the Sport Exhaust because when you hit the Sport Chrono button it will give the gas pedal a more sensative feel to acceleration, makes the car feel more responsive and turns on the sport exhaust, it makes the car feel transormed from a more calm & quiet type to a louder more aggresive, sport driving feel & sound. Out sport driving alone, top down, hit sport chrono turns on PSE, firms up the suspension (or you have the option of leaving the supension alone) and you're driving aggressively. Hit a patch of traffic with too much outside noise, top goes up, sport chrono off, turning off PSE, turn on the radio and you'll feel like you're in a different car. Same thing say you pick someone up that's not a car person, hit sport chrono turning off PSE and you're having a conversation w/ that person in basic quiet. It just gives you different feels that normally you would need 2 different cars for.... In a cabriolet having Sport Chrono & the Sport Exhaust would be my only absolute must-have options to recommend to someone, w/ a cabriolet you really hear/enjoy the sport exhaust if that's your kinda thing. I got more pleasure from this combo than all other options together, Get them especially w/ a cabriolet!!!!

I had Nav & Bose in my 997 S cab and would definitely keep both unless the extra bass box in the passenger footwell is an annoyance (it's no big deal). Because it's a cab I'd consider the leather sunvisors and definitely get Porsche Crests on the headrests. I'd switch the power seats to adaptive sport seats but try them out if you can, if they're comfortable they also happen to look incredible w/ a cabriolet, makes the whole interior imo. Also consider the leather center consule this is probably the nicest leather option avaialble & if you get it add the gear lever trim in leather, it's only $250. Congrats! Good luck! What color did you get?

btw: With the PSE you also get chrome exhaust pipes which is real nice. They also happen to look more like real dual pipes from the rear than stock.

I have the sport chrono and I think it's beyond useless. It's 99% gimmick and 1% actual utility.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    I have the sport chrono and I think it's beyond useless. It's 99% gimmick and 1% actual utility.

How about those convenience features that comes with it? I guess you set them and forget them and the SC seems even more useless.

Porsche did a 180 on SC in the Turbo, they connected it to an absolutely essential must-have Turbo boost function (as y'all may know) I guess they responsed to our scathing criticism!

Maybe 997/S face lift will include "improvements" to SC."Hey Porsche Marketing: How about an _optional_ dash wart?"

Quote:
    Nugget said:

See there you go "psmd". Here's another opinion. Obviously you should know whether you want Sport Chrono/PSE or not and order your car accordingly otherwise you could end up wasting your money.

PSE is great, I was just talking about the Sport Chrono.

So I got the meteor gray with a sand interior. Was debating between Midnight blue and the meteor.

Also what about the steering wheel? What are the multi functions? There is very little mentioned in the brochure.

Thanks for all the advice,

Paul

multi function are great if you like to have controls of your PCM such as volume, station, phone calling out etc. but the only down side to the multi function steering wheel is that it doesn't come with sport steering wheel option such as thicker arch above 3 and 9 position to have better control when you are driving fast.

Another major difference between sport and multi function steering wheel is the shape in the middle, where as the sport one comes with round center where air bag is and the multi function one have a more upside down triangle shape at the center

I think you should try it before making a decision because you will be the one who is holding to it every time you drive it...

Quote:
    psmd said:
    So I got the meteor gray with a sand interior. Was debating between Midnight blue and the meteor.

Also what about the steering wheel? What are the multi functions? There is very little mentioned in the brochure.

Thanks for all the advice,

Paul

Option XPA - Thicker sport steering wheel. - Thicker rim, smooth leather, round air-bag and no buttons.

btw: RE: Sport Chrono - Highly advise you drive a car w/ Sport Chrono. If you're like me you'll find the cars accelerator pedal feels like mush without Sport Chrono enabled, it's fine for sitting in traffic which is when I turn sport chrono off but if you have places where you can drive aggressively the instant pedal feedback you get w/ Sport Chrono is a must have imo. It's especially excellent w/ the PSE combination obviously Porsche thought this out somewhat, it wasn't just an accident but even w/ out PSE it makes the car feels much more alive. It doesn't make the car faster unless you consider the .0005 seconds longer it takes to make the accelerator travel the same distance for the same amount of fuel but it definitely make the cars acceleration feel more sensative to throttle imputs. You may be the type that may or may not really notice- Try it imo & drive w/ & without.

Quote:
    WR said:

Another major difference between sport and multi function steering wheel is the shape in the middle, where as the sport one comes with round center where air bag is and the multi function one have a more upside down triangle shape at the center

I'm not too thrilled with either wheel but the round-center one seems a bit more appropriate for the interior. IOW, there aren't any triangles in the interior and so the triangle-shaped wheel just adds YET ANOTHER visual element to the already visually bizzy interior.

Agree with MMD. Round sport wheel fits the interior way better. Although it gives a bit of a bumper-car feel. Dont know if that is good or bad but i looked for a car that had it. It should be the standard wheel. Why did they even bother with the triange wheel?

Agree with you Stradale. I like the throttle response of Sport Chrono. Should have been the standard response.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Agree with you Stradale. I like the throttle response of Sport Chrono. Should have been the standard response.

I'm not so sure. I don't have SC in mine but I do have BMWs version of it in my M3. It's kinda "impossible" to use the sport button __safely__ in, say, a parking lot. The slightest mistake in foot pressure and you're a vehicular homicide risk.

I definitely agree now ( was not thinking this way at the beginning) that the car should come with SC. It's all about enjoying the car so getting it fully gadget-ized makes sense. But then there's that pesky fugly wart problem... .

If Porsche were smart they would fit a "Manettino" that had options for different driving conditions, or an "M" button that you could program to suit. It would be nice in the "ordinary" 911's if the SC did something to improve performance.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

2 questions:

When one pushes the SC button it also changes PASM to Sport. Often that is not desirable, requiring pushing PASM back to Normal. I suspect the dealer can change that default. Can someone confirm if that is possible?

Also... is the SC button state sticky? that is, if on, will it remain on when if the car is shut off and restarted?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    2 questions:

When one pushes the SC button it also changes PASM to Sport. Often that is not desirable, requiring pushing PASM back to Normal. I suspect the dealer can change that default. Can someone confirm if that is possible?

Also... is the SC button state sticky? that is, if on, will it remain on when if the car is shut off and restarted?

I hope this helps:

I have both and I think both are worth it. But it is going to come down to you. If you can swing the extra cost I would go for it.

Given that the Sport throttle map doesn't actually change the performance of the car, it's no surprise that the mode that feels "best" is simply going to be the mode you're most accustomed to.

If you drive around all the time with the "sport" throttle map engaged then the non-sport setting is going to feel sluggish and unresponsive to you. If you drive around all the time with "sport" disengaged then the sport mode is going to feel twitchy and oversensitive to you. The bottom line is that the car isn't any faster at all with the setting on or off.

Personally I don't care for the loss of precision with the sport throttle mapping engaged. I find that switching back and forth is bad for me because sometimes my brain forgets to tell my foot that the throttle mapping has changed and I end up accelerating too much or too little, expecting the other map. Switching back and forth between the two mappings is worse than having just one or the other -- the inconsistency is bad.

I can see the "sport" mapping causing problems at the limit in a sweeping corner where you're balancing grip to carry yourself through the turn. In that sort of situation I much prefer having more control over the throttle than less, and the sport mapping definitely gives you less control over the throttle.

Seriously -- if you don't have SC you'll never ever miss it. It's not like the car is any faster with it and your foot won't care. If you do have it you might find, like I have, that it's worse to have the choice. I'd rather become intimately familiar with one throttle mapping than mentally juggle which is engaged at any given moment.

Since the sport setting comes with the ugly dashboard wart (you either love it or hate it -- but either way I can guarantee you'll never use it) the option becomes even less appealing to me.

About the only arguable benefit is the supposedly more relaxed third setting for PSM. This is actually what encouraged me to get the SC in the first place. I find, though, that in reality I'm quite content with the normal PSM setting. I was expecting PSM to be as invasive as the DSC was in my M Roadster but I was pleased to find that Porsche's PSM is much more lenient and I'm quite able to steer with my right foot and drift a bit with PSM turned on. It's sportier than I'd ever want to be on public roads. When I autocross I turn it off anyway, so I don't know when I'd ever really use the third "sport" setting for PSM.

The extra twiddly bits that the SC enables in the PCM (door lock options and interior light options) are totally trivial and your dealer can set them up for you even if you don't have the SC installed anyway.

I don't recommend it, irrespective of cost. Heck, I'd pay extra for a "wart delete" option.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Given that the Sport throttle map doesn't ... I'd pay extra for a "wart delete" option.

I'm "the other person who drives Nugget's car," though I get to drive it much less than him. Still, we have different opinions on many things about his car...

I agree with him about switching back and forth between throttle mappings in the car - I leave it on the "sport" mapping all the time (turning off the stiff shocks if I don't want them). I prefer minimal movement for a response from the car, and I find the sport trottle mapping lets me move less for the response I want (I like the brakes in my MX-5 better than the "big reds" Nugget's car has for the same reason - my brakes are twitchier).

This is definitely a matter of personal preference, though. How do you want your car to behave?

So I guess the moral of this story is that you should just ask your girlfriend whether or not to buy it. C'est la vie.

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    So I guess the moral of this story is that you should just ask your girlfriend whether or not to buy it. C'est la vie.

Nooooooo! Can't do that. The wife would figure it out. She'd know in a minute that the red seats belts and paint-to-sample would never be *my* idea!

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Given that the Sport throttle map doesn't actually change the performance of the car, it's no surprise that the mode that feels "best" is simply going to be the mode you're most accustomed to.

If you drive around all the time with the "sport" throttle map engaged then the non-sport setting is going to feel sluggish and unresponsive to you. If you drive around all the time with "sport" disengaged then the sport mode is going to feel twitchy and oversensitive to you. The bottom line is that the car isn't any faster at all with the setting on or off.

Personally I don't care for the loss of precision with the sport throttle mapping engaged. I find that switching back and forth is bad for me because sometimes my brain forgets to tell my foot that the throttle mapping has changed and I end up accelerating too much or too little, expecting the other map. Switching back and forth between the two mappings is worse than having just one or the other -- the inconsistency is bad.

I can see the "sport" mapping causing problems at the limit in a sweeping corner where you're balancing grip to carry yourself through the turn. In that sort of situation I much prefer having more control over the throttle than less, and the sport mapping definitely gives you less control over the throttle.

Seriously -- if you don't have SC you'll never ever miss it. It's not like the car is any faster with it and your foot won't care. If you do have it you might find, like I have, that it's worse to have the choice. I'd rather become intimately familiar with one throttle mapping than mentally juggle which is engaged at any given moment.

Since the sport setting comes with the ugly dashboard wart (you either love it or hate it -- but either way I can guarantee you'll never use it) the option becomes even less appealing to me.

About the only arguable benefit is the supposedly more relaxed third setting for PSM. This is actually what encouraged me to get the SC in the first place. I find, though, that in reality I'm quite content with the normal PSM setting. I was expecting PSM to be as invasive as the DSC was in my M Roadster but I was pleased to find that Porsche's PSM is much more lenient and I'm quite able to steer with my right foot and drift a bit with PSM turned on. It's sportier than I'd ever want to be on public roads. When I autocross I turn it off anyway, so I don't know when I'd ever really use the third "sport" setting for PSM.

The extra twiddly bits that the SC enables in the PCM (door lock options and interior light options) are totally trivial and your dealer can set them up for you even if you don't have the SC installed anyway.

I don't recommend it, irrespective of cost. Heck, I'd pay extra for a "wart delete" option.

Does that really happen to you, you forget what setting you're on and under/over gas? Hasn't happened to me yet but I guess I could see where people would get confused.

In terms of guaranteeing that no one will ever use the sport chrono clock - I've used it 3 or 4 dozen times. No big deal I agree it's more a gimic but if you do any type of times events or use your car on a track it's well worth it. I've even used it for 3 timed PCA Rally's. But you could use a stopwatch almost as easily.

I agree re: relevant to performance but not really sure that the Sport Throttle maping doesn't actually change the performance of the car at all. Fact is you are moving your foot less for the same result, maybe if you timed the difference x 100's of times there could be some very small measurable difference. Perhaps the SC sport throttle map enhances the performance of the car as much as the Sport Shifter does. Shorter push on the gas pedal/shorter shifter throws. However very minumum if at all the difference is obviously more in the way it FEELS and for me I like to switch back and forth and use both depending on the type of driving I am doing. The vast majority of my driving is w/ Sport throtle map ON, PSM set o normal & PSE ON. But that's just another positive about Sport Chrono and probably why Porsche developed it for some to appreciate, it gives you different feels that you would normally need different cars w/ different suspension/throttle maps for. Hard to explain to somebody who doesn't like it but re: why Porsche developed this, I get it...........

Bottom line for someone trying to decide - IMO if you're not sure it's much better to get it and not really use it than to not have it and later on wish you had got it. If that makes any sense. LoL!! You may even find positives about it for you that hasn't been discussed here.............. If I HAD TO I'd probably pay double to keep it. And unlike the majority of people I really like the way the wart looks so that's a plus for me too.

Quote:
    Equiraptor said:
    Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Given that the Sport throttle map doesn't ... I'd pay extra for a "wart delete" option.

I'm "the other person who drives Nugget's car," though I get to drive it much less than him. Still, we have different opinions on many things about his car...

I agree with him about switching back and forth between throttle mappings in the car - I leave it on the "sport" mapping all the time (turning off the stiff shocks if I don't want them). I prefer minimal movement for a response from the car, and I find the sport trottle mapping lets me move less for the response I want (I like the brakes in my MX-5 better than the "big reds" Nugget's car has for the same reason - my brakes are twitchier).

This is definitely a matter of personal preference, though. How do you want your car to behave?

"I leave it on the "sport" mapping all the time (turning off the stiff shocks if I don't want them). I prefer minimal movement for a response from the car, and I find the sport trottle mapping lets me move less for the response I want"

Exactly.

Actually - The "sport" mode does a number of things.
    If you are not into track days - You might never notice many of them.

The program is activated by the sports button in the centre console, varying the:

gas pedal control lines
    engine speed limiter
    dash-pot on the throttle butterfly
    PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
    PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and Tiptronic S as required by the driver.

The E-gas control line is switched to a steeper configuration restricted in models equipped with Tiptronic S to the manual mode.

The throttle butterfly will respond even more quickly to movements of the gas pedal, and the driver will enjoy an even more spontaneous response from the engine.

Should the driver furthermore keep his foot on the gas pedal without shifting gears, the engine speed limiter in gears 1 -5 will intervene far more abruptly than in standard trim, meaning that the engine responds directly to the gas pedal up to the maximum speed limit.

Dash-pot response is less oriented to motoring comfort, the throttle butterfly closing faster whenever the driver takes his foot off the accelerator to provide an even more dynamic, racing-like driving experience.

The operation and intervention of Porsche Stability Management also changes in response to the sports button, providing greater agility and driving dynamics.

Accelerating out of a bend, for example, the car is even faster and more dynamic thanks to the higher anti-spin control threshold allowing more slip on the drive wheels when giving gas.

The system thus consciously accepts greater swerve action at the rear - particularly on slippery surfaces - without endangering driving safety.

The other PSM activation thresholds are likewise raised to a higher level allowing a bigger deviation between the actual and the desired movement of the vehicle before PSM cuts in.

The result, clearly, is greater agility when driving to the limit in lateral dynamics.

Raising the ABS intervention limits, in turn, the system allows the driver to apply the brakes with more neutral behaviour when entering a bend.

A further point is that PSM allows more drag momentum from the engine whenever the driver takes his foot off the gas pedal, ensuring a smoother load change for taking bends with a tighter angle and in more dynamic style.

And for even greater agility, all the driver has to do is switch off PSM with the sports mode active.

Porsche Active Suspension Management also switches automatically to the sports program with harder bumper control.

The car thus steers even more spontaneously into bends, body movements are significantly reduced, and road contact is improved accordingly.

With a "softer" suspension being advantageous on slippery surfaces such as wet or snowbound roads, on the other hand, the driver is able, pressing the PASM button, to set the car to its normal damper position even when the sports mode is active.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761300 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434713 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260158 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257312 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80831 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5314 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871587 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806846 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM