Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo Deals?

Seems like most guys on this board have the patience and dollars to order a turbo configured exactly as desired. However, some of a less financially fortunate and definitely more impulsive Porsche addicts have found another way.

By virtue of the order and build times on Porsches and the uncertainties in life many custom orders end up being declined when they arrive at dealerships. This then leaves dealerships with unclaimed vehicles.

If this happens at MY end or for whatever reason the vehicle just sits on the lot then they are definitely willing to deal. Yes, it means compromises but if you're on a budget it can work. It also gives leverage to get better lease rates.

I know many will frown and take the high road...after all it's a $150K car don't you want it just the way you want it. Of course, but I would rather get it compromised than not get it at all.

In the end it's just food for thought but for those that have inquired about turbo deals here's your opportunity! Until I can figure out a way to double my income I'll just have to dream about custom configurations, Ferraris, and Lambo's.

Re: Turbo Deals?

Possibly one flaw in the argument. Porsche is supposedly limiting production of the Turbo. That means they won't sit on lots very long. OTOH, the markup from invoice is very high, so maybe you can find a dealer who is willing to cut a deal.

There seems to be "lots" of Carrera/S on lots: maybe a better candidate for bargaining action.

I could be wrong about more limited allocations/production for Turbos, it's just something I heard, can someone confirm this?

I do agree that there's only a few options for Turbos since they "come with everything" as stock.

Plus you'd be amazed how much you can love someone else's "personal" choices for options and make them your own.

Unless the car is pink with camouflage interior, for this car I think "getting what you want" by "custom" ordering is a bit of a weak argument.

EXAMPLE: on the Turbo "everybody" orders SC, heated seats, A.S.S., LSD, etc. If they order "odd" stuff like leather PCM plate, or painted rear center console, I bet 95% of people can get used to those and even eventually love them.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Possibly one flaw in the argument. Porsche is supposedly limiting production of the Turbo. That means they won't sit on lots very long. OTOH, the markup from invoice is very high, so maybe you can find a dealer who is willing to cut a deal.

There seems to be "lots" of Carrera/S on lots: maybe a better candidate for bargaining action.

I could be wrong about more limited allocations/production for Turbos, it's just something I heard, can someone confirm this?

MMD I've heard the same. But guess what... there are a lot of unclaimed turbos on the lot right now. I know because I am getting teaser rates to trade up from my C4S. What's more they're often not listed under new inventory because they in theory "have a customer's name on it." Maybe people decided to wait for '08 MY or for the turbo cab. I just know that they're out there.

Okay, maybe, only ONE way to find out. Start calling. I hope you're right. At least some of us should get a break on these cars.

Quote:
    MMD said:

My dealer here in SD (major one) confirmed that he is getting half as many 08 allocations for the TT coupe compared to his 07 allocations, the other half will be cabs.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

My dealer here in SD (major one) confirmed that he is getting half as many 08 allocations for the TT coupe compared to his 07 allocations, the other half will be cabs.

While at my dealer two weeks ago he said because of Porsche's cut backs he'll be lucky to sell 150 cars in 07 where he sold 220 cars in 06. He said he's offsetting some of the supply by charging over msrp on some models like the turbo cab and GT3. He said the demand is even higher this year but Porsche just isn't giving him the cars he knows he can sell.

The other thing? Turbo is a top-of-the-line Porsche and it's more "targeted" by buyers. IOW, it's a special car (some would say Supercar) so they sell quickly because somehow upscale buyers are more likely to come out of the woodworks to take one while leaving a dozen NA Carerras on the lot. I dunno, I'm just repeating some beer-talk we had last night.

FWIW - in the UK, OPC cannot charge over list for a new car. Second hand? that's a different matter.....

One way of getting around the rule is to have a customer take delivery of the car and right away trade it right back, as the car is titled it becomes used and it's fair game for the markup.

Fo years the local Ferrari dealer have been doing this, I heard Ferrari got wind of this and took away the franchise.
    It has gotten so bad that the dealer is paying people to take delivery of their ordered cars even if the customer changed their mind and want something else. $5k-$10k is not unheard of.

Quote:
    bridggar said:
    FWIW - in the UK, OPC cannot charge over list for a new car. Second hand? that's a different matter.....

No, they just make you wait for 12 months!! I am having to throw some serious tantrums to try to get that wait cut down...

Oh and I believe x3 less MY08 Turbo Coupes are being made than in MY07. So my dealer (the biggest in the UK) is only getting 1 TT Coupe slot per month for the first few months of MY08.

Deals in the UK for MY08 Turbos - NO CHANCE

Well I guess it all depends on where you live.

Even though I know '07 and '08 turbos are essentially identical I have a problem leasing the '07 when the '08's are so close. Unless something changes I'll probably hold on to my C4S for a bit longer. I might even consider placing an order( yes spots are still available for the TT coupe) as long as it won't cost me a premium. On the other hand if my local dealership makes me a deal on an '07 that's irresistible I still might go for it!

Just rambling, but back on point I do believe that Porsche should offer a break at year end on leftover vehicles. Sorry if that offends some but unlike the argument with Ferrari's, there is fairly steep depreciation on the TT. It just follows the rule of supply and demand. And BTW, I fully realize that far fewer TT coupes will available in '08. However, it also seems that more than 2/3's of the California market is placing orders on the cab over the coupe. That's why I can still order a coupe if I want.

As for my friends in the UK, at least you get models sooner and don't have to pay over MSRP in most instances.

Quote:
    Ksurg said:
    Well I guess it all depends on where you live.

Even though I know '07 and '08 turbos are essentially identical I have a problem leasing the '07 when the '08's are so close. Unless something changes I'll probably hold on to my C4S for a bit longer. I might even consider placing an order( yes spots are still available for the TT coupe) as long as it won't cost me a premium. On the other hand if my local dealership makes me a deal on an '07 that's irresistible I still might go for it!

Just rambling, but back on point I do believe that Porsche should offer a break at year end on leftover vehicles. Sorry if that offends some but unlike the argument with Ferrari's, there is fairly steep depreciation on the TT. It just follows the rule of supply and demand. And BTW, I fully realize that far fewer TT coupes will available in '08. However, it also seems that more than 2/3's of the California market is placing orders on the cab over the coupe. That's why I can still order a coupe if I want.

As for my friends in the UK, at least you get models sooner and don't have to pay over MSRP in most instances.

Obviously, value of any discretionary car like 997TT is inherently subjective...

That said, if one can afford any rapidly-depreciating $150K toy, would get latest/greatest, bespoke-spec new copy of desired car....at a convenient, well-regarded dealer that's likely to reward your purch (at MSRP/slt disct w/favorable lease terms) w/priority warranty svc...slt discts on stray 997TTs are rounding error in scheme of equiv lease MF/resids; a car that deprecs $50K in first-yr of use (if trade-in before lease term ends); and consumes $500 perf tires at a rapid clip....

BTW, ask our UK pals what 997TT MSRP is in London (or in EU broadly)...and what are the $0-down, 3yr lease terms on P's....and what are the lemon laws/mfr warranties in UK/EU vs US....one quickly realizes how cheap cars are in US vs EU, as well as how consumer-friendly are the US ordering process (refundable deposits), leases, lease-gap insurance cvg, warranties and lemon laws...

EU's major compensating advantage (for a car nut) is the easier access to derestricted, smooth pavement German ABs (when the non-CA-like weather allows use of summer perf wheels/tires ...and after navigating speed cameras/traps and traffic to/fro exurban Germany).....

Nope, biggest positive in UK is that whilst you may have to pay Pounds100K (thats USD200K) you'll only lose Pounds10K in first year. (until the market's flooded)

We don't pay a premium for Ferrari though!!

AINT GONNA BE NO TT DEALS!

Was calling a major city USA Porsche dealer who said recently they have only 6 allocations for Turbo Coupes and 8 allocations for Cabs.

Those are all the Turbos they have for "2008" (Sept 2007 thru June 2008). They are all presold!

So..., get with it you guys in this thread..., ask your big city premier dealership what _their _allocations are so we can speculate better on getting a deal on a TT.

Sounds like it's gonna be bad news... .

Can ALWAYS get a "deal" on someone elses dream; to wit, someone may leave a deposit on a crazy color combo, with weird options, blah blah blah - if THAT is what you want and they give you a $10K discount on a $130K-$150K plus car, then I say go for it. But, you nailed it on the head: all TT owners I know custom ordered their rides and were willing to wait and pay the piper for same. IMHO, life is to short to compromise on your personal vehicle. As guys, we get to choose may a suit, a watch and our car - not much else. Its not worth compromising something so important. Good luck with your decision - whether new or used, either way you'll be a 997TT owner !

Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Can ALWAYS get a "deal" on someone elses dream; to wit, someone may leave a deposit on a crazy color combo, with weird options, blah blah blah - if THAT is what you want and they give you a $10K discount on a $130K-$150K plus car, then I say go for it. But, you nailed it on the head: all TT owners I know custom ordered their rides and were willing to wait and pay the piper for same. IMHO, life is to short to compromise on your personal vehicle. As guys, we get to choose may a suit, a watch and our car - not much else. Its not worth compromising something so important. Good luck with your decision - whether new or used, either way you'll be a 997TT owner !

Tortesq1,
    I hear you! However, not all the cars I'm talking about are freaky custom orders. Most are pretty basic. Interestingly, some of the dealers claim they got a few extra unexpected turbos at year end. Most seem to be tips.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The other thing? Turbo is a top-of-the-line Porsche and it's more "targeted" by buyers. IOW, it's a special car (some would say Supercar) so they sell quickly because somehow upscale buyers are more likely to come out of the woodworks to take one while leaving a dozen NA Carerras on the lot. I dunno, I'm just repeating some beer-talk we had last night.

I agree. I looked at 10+ dealers on line and talked to all of them and visited 7 of them. Guess what no deals and every single one was sold. Funny that they list the cars that were still enroute, still on a ship coming from germany. Most of those were even spoken for. Finally I contacted beverly hills Porsche and while they had none on the lot the kind nice sales rep I talked to claimed he had a grey and a black in storage. I picked the black he had it washed and delivered within 2 hours. I have dealt with so many Porsche dealers but Beverly Hills Porsche is by far the best

My tip was delivered on June 7 and I already have over 2500 miles on her. My MSRP was approx. $151K and was heavily optioned with all the goodies I wanted. When you drive something everyday, all around the NYC area, you really start to appreciate what you have. If you can get a nice color combo with your desired options AND save a few bucks I say go for it ! Whatever your decision good luck.

Go ahead and order an '08 for MSRP and place a deposit. Just depends on what you want. If there is a certain color or set of options then just order it and be done with it. Alternatively, if you are flexible on these then you will find a car no problem. There is also the used market.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409903 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256099 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65726 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858650 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774854 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM