Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What to buy - Z06, F430, GT3, Gallardo, Exige????

I have a Porsche 997 S that I have just recently started taking to the track. I got it as a daily driver, that the wife was going to drive sometimes, so I got a tiptronic, I soon realized I was putting too many miles on it so I leased a daily driver and now I use the P car on weekends and track days, and I love the way it drives on the track but now that I have a few track days under my belt, I hate the tiptronic...

I am considering a wide range of cars to buy in it's place, starting with F430, Gallardo, GT3RS, GT3, Exige S, Z06, Ford GT, Vantage or ?

I was out at Cal Speedway this past Saturday and there were alot of Vettes, and I started to like them... I wish I could have driven one. They seem like alot of bang for the buck. there was also a Ferrari in the beginner group and he claimed that my Porsche was better for the track than his car... I need a car mainly for the track but I also want to be able to take it out in the canyons on the weekends when I'm not at the track...

I'm not a rich guy and there are obvious price differences between the cars, so I'm curious what you guys think about this.

Re: What to buy - Z06, F430, GT3, Gallardo, Exige????

GT3 RS if you can afford it, and find one at that. If that is too expensive then an Exige is always a good track car.

Let's see if we can play process-of-elimination:

F430 - If money's an object, I think the F430 is out the window. Not just acquisition costs, but the enormous liability on the track, when things wear out and/or break, or heaven-forbid you wreck it. Every way you look at it, so much money, not meaningfully faster...

Gallardo - Mmmmm, possibly, yes, but AWD takes some of the fun out of the track day, and also expensive to fix..

GT3RS - Serious contender

GT3 - Serious contender, less money

Exige S - I'm sorry, there's a point where a car is a car, and a go-cart is a go-cart... The Lotus exites me about as much as toy poodles, even fast and tough attack-trained toy poodles... And it's hideous to boot... But the price is right.

Z06 - Serious contender, cheap to repair, cheap to own, very fast with a purposeful tire. Really hone your skills, and enjoy frustrating the buhjeezus out of silver-spoon elitists in all the more expensive exoto-iron... That could exponentially increase your overall "fun-factor"

Ford GT - Slightly expensive (prices never depreciated, and now they're extinct), and spare parts could be a serious dilemma. But it certainly wins the beauty contest in my opinion, while being able to run shoulder-to-shoulder with any of the above-mentioned cars. SUPER CAR, but maybe not practical or durable for regular track-use.

Vantage - Uhhh, no, unless you like getting lapped alot...

Bottom line, I'd be shopping GT3 of some sort, or Vette of some sort... The rest are too damn expensive for what you want to do.

GT3RS is not appropriate for a non-rich guy. Even if you can afford to buy it, can you afford to crash it w/o insurance?

And tires, brakes, etc. would be expensive on such a heavy and fast car (same with Vette)...

I recommend an older 911 (aircooled) 1998 or older (my favorites are 1969-1973, but that's not for everyone). VERY reliable on the track and you will really learn to drive well.

Next rec. would be Lotus Elise/Exige if you can fit in it (I can't).

I also think Caterham and Ariel Atom are GREAT for track use.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

F430 - If money's an object, I think the F430 is out the window. Not just acquisition costs, but the enormous liability on the track, when things wear out and/or break, or heaven-forbid you wreck it. Every way you look at it, so much money, not meaningfully faster...

Gallardo - Mmmmm, possibly, yes, but AWD takes some of the fun out of the track day, and also expensive to fix..

Exige S - I'm sorry, there's a point where a car is a car, and a go-cart is a go-cart... The Lotus exites me about as much as toy poodles, even fast and tough attack-trained toy poodles... And it's hideous to boot... But the price is right.

Z06 - Serious contender, cheap to repair, cheap to own, very fast with a purposeful tire. Really hone your skills, and enjoy frustrating the buhjeezus out of silver-spoon elitists in all the more expensive exoto-iron... That could exponentially increase your overall "fun-factor"

Ford GT - Slightly expensive (prices never depreciated, and now they're extinct), and spare parts could be a serious dilemma. But it certainly wins the beauty contest in my opinion, while being able to run shoulder-to-shoulder with any of the above-mentioned cars. SUPER CAR, but maybe not practical or durable for regular track-use.

Bottom line, I'd be shopping GT3 of some sort, or Vette of some sort... The rest are too damn expensive for what you want to do.

What he said.

Re: What to buy - Z06, F430, GT3, Gallardo, Exige?

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Excellent analysis as usual 69B9.

To decide between vette and Porsche? Take a close look at the people in the bars you "hang out" in; therein lies your answer. (A Gay thing? NO! not that there's anything wrong with that). Hint: you gotcher sports bars and your Four Seasons lounges... . Either way both are good cars and good people.

The vantage is not a track car.

The most reasonable track car on your list is probably the lotus. The RS/F430 will run you up to almost 200k, which isn't very "tossable" at the track.

Gallardo and ford GT do not belong on that list. Z06 is also alot of bang for the buck.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Very well said

When you say that you need a car mainly for the track, I think we need to consider that of all the listed cars, the GT3RS or Exige probably fits the best.
    From my experience, a purpose-built track car is much better on the track than many supercars, and it can even be just a modified VW Golf with cage, brakes, stripped interior, better shocks and slick tires. It may not do 160 mph on the finish line, but it will run around the track all day long with reliability.

The supercars we have today are not built primarily for the track. Why people take them there has many reasons.

For me, the rule of thumb whether a car can really do circuits is the issue of brakes. That rules out the Gallardo, I believe. The Exige is 40% lighter and as a track car would work much better, for example. As for the Porsches, the numerous threads here are of the opinion that PCCB's and track don't mix, but you will never know unless you try that for yourself, which may or may not turn out to be expensive.

I think it comes down to how dedicated you really want to become to circuit driving. On the internet you will find Needel and Plato racing a lowly Formula Ford 1600 and a Ford GT. I personally think the Ford GT is excellent, but within one lap the miniature single-seater completely demolishes even this hero car.

In this sense, the Atom would be an excellent choice, and cheap, too, compared to the other options.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

What he said.

What both of them said

Why would you buy a NEW car for a track day car? Especially if you are only starting out? First off, go by the old adage of "drive the car as fast as the car will go, when you can do that get something faster."

I would wait until you are signed off, no lnger have an instructor with you all the time and are fairly advanced, then get something. It's much more pleasurable, and it makes you a WHOLE lot better driver to learn how to make a slower car fast as opposed to driving a fast car somewhat fast...

So even if you do go out and get something more tack oriented, don't put on slicks or R compond tires until you can drive your street tires to the limit, know where the limit is and play on either side of the limit comfortably.

If you're going to get something though my first suggestion would be a 911. My preference for track work is a 1973-1989 911. Many have had their suspensions done and set up fro the track. They won't depreciate and won't bankrupt you if you wreck it.

I'd also recomend the Elise/Exige, a BMW M3 (the older the better for track work), Porsche 944 (wonderfully balanced car), Mazda RX-7 (not my cup of tea, but many out there and a good track car). Also look at used race cars that are no longer competitive and too new for vintage work.

A mate of mine used to track an old 944 - didn't spend much, ran like clockwork and he had a blast.

Main expense was the tyres (you should budget for this whatever you buy - but maybe you know this already).

I think P-cars are a very good combination of reliability, power and braking / cornering performance, so I would probably recommend an old air-cooled 911. Even the 993 has a proper dry sump which is better than our "integrated dry sump" (sic) ones for track-day use. For tail happy rear engined fun you can't do much better, and they key is to learn how to push it out of the corners - that's when you can blast past everything else.

Aston - no (and expensive) - unless its a DB9 RS or whatever it's called (VERY expensive)
    Lambo - no (and expensive)
    Lotus - quite good I suspect - not sure why 69B9 said what he did about the Lotus. Yes they are made of plastic (inside and out), yes they are small (you should check you fit OK first I guess), but they normally have awesome handling.
    GT3 - well, yes if you have the money and can find one! Not sure if the RS is really worth it unless you are going to go semi-pro though? I wouldn't like to drive the RS around on the street personally.

Hope this helps,

SoS.

Surprised no one bothered to say TEST THEM 1ST!
    It should not be too difficult, next time you are on the circuit to ask to swap, or at least get a ride in them.
    Depending on whether you want "a toy" that will run rings around cars, GT3 or a Vette (never driven these), otherwiwe Exige or Ariel Atom. The last one is pretty crazy to say the least, but the adrelanine factor is "out there"

For a track car, GT3 all the way. Z06 is a serious contender and will be hard to beat at the track, but lacks steering feel compared to Porsches and despite being relatively light, feels big and bulky.

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    I have a Porsche 997 S that I have just recently started taking to the track.
    I soon realized I was putting too many miles on it so I leased a daily driver and now I use the P car on weekends and track days, and I love the way it drives on the track but now that I have a few track days under my belt, I hate the tiptronic...

I am considering a wide range of cars to buy in it's place, starting with F430, Gallardo, GT3RS, GT3, Exige S, Z06, Ford GT, Vantage or ?

... I need a car mainly for the track but I also want to be able to take it out in the canyons on the weekends when I'm not at the track...

I'm not a rich guy and there are obvious price differences between the cars, so I'm curious what you guys think about this.

Since you asked :

If you can afford to buy ( and maintain for racing ) any of the cars you mention above, then either your idea of "not being a rich guy " is slightly different from most other people ,or you should stop inhaling whatever it is you smoke. Lol

GT2

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    Why would you buy a NEW car for a track day car? Especially if you are only starting out? First off, go by the old adage of "drive the car as fast as the car will go, when you can do that get something faster."

I would wait until you are signed off, no lnger have an instructor with you all the time and are fairly advanced, then get something. It's much more pleasurable, and it makes you a WHOLE lot better driver to learn how to make a slower car fast as opposed to driving a fast car somewhat fast...

So even if you do go out and get something more tack oriented, don't put on slicks or R compond tires until you can drive your street tires to the limit, know where the limit is and play on either side of the limit comfortably.

If you're going to get something though my first suggestion would be a 911. My preference for track work is a 1973-1989 911. Many have had their suspensions done and set up fro the track. They won't depreciate and won't bankrupt you if you wreck it.

I'd also recomend the Elise/Exige, a BMW M3 (the older the better for track work), Porsche 944 (wonderfully balanced car), Mazda RX-7 (not my cup of tea, but many out there and a good track car). Also look at used race cars that are no longer competitive and too new for vintage work.

I understand what you are saying, however I have some issues with that, that may not apply to other people...
    First off, I have a 997S and I have tracked it a few times and love it, but it's a tiptronic and last track day I was more worried about if it was actually going to downshift at the end of the long fast straight rither then concentrating on the corner. So I want a stick car. Not only for that reason but just because it's better for the track. Before I was fell in love with tracking my car I wanted to sell some of my colectibles and buy an exotic, hence the Ferrari and Lambo on my list, which now, won't work out unless I have another car that I can use at the track, but probably can't raise enough money for that. So now, I'm going to try and combine my purchase to a semi-exotic and a track car, Just something that's a nice street car that also can be used at the track. That's where the GT3 fits in, although the wife won't be driving it to pick up groceries, I will be able to drive it in the canyons and maybe out to dinner once or twice, but mainly it will be a track car...
    The Z06 would probably take car of this whole problem, I could get one of those, mod it a bit and still keep the 997... But for some reason, the Z06 isn't really the semi-exotic I was looking for... So I have to make some decisions here...

I have a dealer that will sell me their allocation for a 2008 GT3 for $10k over, which sounds like alot, but then again, I can spec it any way I want, and since I can't afford a GT3RS, I'm probably going to get it in orange, or maybe green? Am I insane for doing this?

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:

I understand what you are saying, however I have some issues with that, that may not apply to other people...
    First off, I have a 997S and I have tracked it a few times and love it, but it's a tiptronic and last track day I was more worried about if it was actually going to downshift at the end of the long fast straight rither then concentrating on the corner. So I want a stick car. Not only for that reason but just because it's better for the track. Before I was fell in love with tracking my car I wanted to sell some of my colectibles and buy an exotic, hence the Ferrari and Lambo on my list, which now, won't work out unless I have another car that I can use at the track, but probably can't raise enough money for that. So now, I'm going to try and combine my purchase to a semi-exotic and a track car, Just something that's a nice street car that also can be used at the track. That's where the GT3 fits in, although the wife won't be driving it to pick up groceries, I will be able to drive it in the canyons and maybe out to dinner once or twice, but mainly it will be a track car...
    The Z06 would probably take car of this whole problem, I could get one of those, mod it a bit and still keep the 997... But for some reason, the Z06 isn't really the semi-exotic I was looking for... So I have to make some decisions here...

I have a dealer that will sell me their allocation for a 2008 GT3 for $10k over, which sounds like alot, but then again, I can spec it any way I want, and since I can't afford a GT3RS, I'm probably going to get it in orange, or maybe green? Am I insane for doing this?

You are insane if you pay $10K over. I don't even care if that's just pocket change for you (don't know if that is the case). I'd pass.

Since the Z06 is at the bottom of your price list, and most Chevy dealer lots (at least here in Florida) have at least 2 or 3 of them hanging around, go drive one. You may find yourself smitten with the screaming V8 (which is a very trick and what I consider "exotic" hunk of Detroit evolution) and forget about exotic notions. Or not. If not, you scratch it off your list, and work your way up...

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:

I wouldn't go buy a new GT3 for $10K over. By your needs of a street legal exotic track car, I would look at a used GT3 eith a 997 or 996. I would also keep the elise/exige on the list as they are exotic enough. Maybe add a Noble (GTO, M12 or new M15), look at an NSX, and maybe a street legal Ferrari Challenge car (a 355 maybe?). New ferrari's and Lamborghini's are, for the most part, trackable cars, but not TRACK cars.

Remember with anything you get, there are only two types of track drivers, those that HAVE hit the wall, and those that will hit the wall AGAIN. Don't do it in something that's going to ruin you when it happens.

Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:

I think you're on the perfect 'track' w/ a 97 GT3 it will do everything you want and expect in the right proportions for your needs as you have described them. Paying over for a 911 is kinda crazy financially especially since you already have a 997. I'd wait it out and get a deposit down for a buildable GT3 in the future. I haven't researched the GT3 market and know that they are difficult to get currently but would be very suprised if the premium continued indefinitely.

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    Quote:
    HWJunkie said:
    Quote:
    Mithras said:

I wouldn't go buy a new GT3 for $10K over. By your needs of a street legal exotic track car, I would look at a used GT3 eith a 997 or 996. I would also keep the elise/exige on the list as they are exotic enough. Maybe add a Noble (GTO, M12 or new M15), look at an NSX, and maybe a street legal Ferrari Challenge car (a 355 maybe?). New ferrari's and Lamborghini's are, for the most part, trackable cars, but not TRACK cars.

Remember with anything you get, there are only two types of track drivers, those that HAVE hit the wall, and those that will hit the wall AGAIN. Don't do it in something that's going to ruin you when it happens.

Not always completely accurate imo but thought you'd be interested in this article

>>Top 10 Most Expensive Vehicles to Own
    by Jeff Zygmont
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007
    Over five years, the Porsche 911 GT3 - the tenth most expensive car to own - depreciates just 41 percent from its starting MSRP. By contrast, the Lincoln MKZ, the 10th least expensive-to-own luxury model, sheds about 67 percent of its base price. But the MKZ sells for around $30,000, compared to $106,000 for the 911 GT3. Sixty-seven percent of $30,000 is a lot less than 41 percent of $106,000 - that works out to $20,100 versus $43,460, respectively<<
    http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/topten...lash_exp_to_own

MOST expensive vehicle to own : 1. Mercedes-Benz CL-Class.

I'm compelled to comment on some of the posts that focus on what choices would be the most sensible and practical and methodical and incremental....

Well, all of that kind of advice is comparable to the angel sitting on your right shoulder....

And then there's the devil on your left shoulder, "To hell with him! Life is short brother, live a little, get what gives you the biggest stiffy my friend!!"

My instincts tell me that HWJunkie is looking for something that kind of satisfies both shoulders, a car that is fairly effective and not too expensive for the track, but that satisfies some of the "evil" traits of lust and horsepower and image.

In short, a car that you'd really feel emotional about having in your garage, that can double-time it as a track car too..

And why not?? Not everybody is out to take on a new hobby with such fervor that each step and each decision is carefully crafted and contemplated for the best results...

Some of us dive into a hobby just to have a blast, no less, no more... Don't need to start in a gutted-out Golf, thank you, so that I'm better prepared, trained, and can ultimately be faster... I'm not here just to win, necessarily. I'm here to GRIN, and winning would be definitely help, but it's not life or death.

So get a car that flat-out pushes all your buttons, within your budget, and go flog it... If you get passed by a Lotus, so be it... If it doesn't make your heart skip a beat when you walk into your garage, it's just a tool for racing, which makes it 1-dimensional..

When I got back into dirt bike riding and hair scrambles, I hadn't ridden in awhile... The angel on one shoulder said I should get a nice used 125 and get my feet back under me... The devil on the other shoulder said "125's are for sissies"..., So I got a new KTM520 that was an absolute rocket, and fought it and held on for dear life until I finally acclimated. It wasn't the "right" or "smart" way to go about getting back into amateur competition, but I love that stinking bike, and I wouldn't have done it differently, and I wasn't out to be the next Ricky Carmichael anyhow...

Or snow boarding/skiing is another one. I could get a professional instructor, and concentrate all of my efforts on being a better technician on the slopes.... Screw that, takes too much time away from my vacation, makes it seem too much like WORK, and I'm here to have a blast, even if my style and my technique is a tad sloppy....

learn your lesson and never to buy another Tip on any 911.
    but from here and on, I'll say get the GT3 for track days. best for the money out there (it is a very expensive car still). As for my choices, I would love to own the F430/Gallardo sypder, but those are just out of my reach.
    Therefore, I'll say buy the GT3!! forget about the RS if you're not a rich guy.

Fcars and lambos are just not my cup of tea. Way too bling bling and showy and very impractical. GT3 on the other hand is the best out there for your money. Love the looks and you must get it in white :P

69bossnine is really on to something here.
    My comment about the Golf was made only because I understand that you are on a budget and if something breaks on the track, for example, then it's no big deal. Instead of the Golf, you can fill in anything from an RX-8 to a 350Z, whatever.
    I know a guy here who tracks his regular Murcielago and also LP640 and also does 1/4 mile sprints in them. Of course the clutch explodes fairly frequently, but he just shakes his head and sends it to the dealer for a 20,000 USD fix.
    Then again, he also has an MC12 and is considering a Veyron.

I think a big part of the fun in any car comes from the fact that you can trash it (what 69BN says) BECAUSE you can afford the maintenance.

Can you say that about any of the cars in your list? If yes, then just please get the one which your heart calls for.

I believe there are two types of track cars: the ones you ship to the track and the ones you drive to the track.
    The choices of the first category are just too many to discuss here so let's talk about the 2nd category.
    There is something so cool on driving your car to the track but that's still a compromised car.
    And soon you will want more. But as a training stage, such a car is a good idea.
    So, as far as I am concerned the likes of Ariel Atom, Radical and soon are not in such category.
    Those are more track cars suite to drive on the road than road cars suited to track.

Here is my list (from very cheap fun up):
    - Mazda Miata/MX-5
    - Lotus Elise/Exige
    - Tuned CaymanS
    - Porsche GT3/GT2
    - Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale/430 Scuderia
    - sky is the limit.

The Z06 Corvette is the best "value" track car (value=for the money you spend you get the most performance).

But generally speaking a "middle engine+rear wheel drive+manual" configuration is the most rewarding one or the most "fun" one. I personally prefer a slower and more balanced car that I can repair easily and cheap than a car like the Z06 that will always make an average driver to look good (you need a pro to really explore that car's limits).

An older Porsche may be also a good idea but that's a matter of taste.

I would stronger recommend you to consider either a GT3 or a "special" Cayman. It's "in the middle" of the list.

I would say GT3 or Cayman S for track car

Given the cars on your list, a GT3 seems to be the perfect choice.

If I could afford it, I'd get a GT3 with PCCB. Otherwise, a low mileage 996 GT3 remains a fantastic track car with considerable savings, though you'd better be a very good driver as it has no traction control or any driving aids for that matter.

If you're not a very good driver, I'd get a second hand 997C2S with PCCB and lower it with a stiffer suspension. It's a great track car that will still keep you (and it) in one piece when you screw up (which is very easy to do).

I would not get a Cayman S - you'll quickly be left wanting more torque.

Perfect setup: keep the 997S you have and get an Atom.

Lots of good posts in this thread.

For a track car, don't spend the kids' college fund. A properly prepared car like an E36 M3 (brakes, suspension, motor work) for a fraction of the cost of a GT3 (I've had three of them) is the way to go.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765314 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437239 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261405 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258202 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82752 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809752 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM