Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Any 997S owners who now own a Turbo?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I agree with STRADALE. The TT looks terrific. All the bitching about this and that, the looks of the SC (it actually looks fine) and so on is Monday morning quarterbacking of frustrated football players.

I'm for form follows function and the 997 TT is it.

Exactly!

There are a couple very good Turbo Info. booklets that I re-read last week. Actually a couple of them are 100 pages +... Sure a lot of it is Marketing fluff but a lot of it also makes so much sense. For a company like Porsche to have this much time in perfecting the 911 speaks volumes.

Don't mean to sound over-enthused but I was just at my Porsche Dealer putting my order in 6 days ago! I'm sorry but for the guys that get excited like I do, you know where my head is at.

Another thing to think about... (I really don't mean to start a brawl because we're just _chatting_ over a hobby).

The Germans are known for brilliant engineering and mfgring.

OTOH, Their sense of style is good..., but not brilliant.

Go to the Italians for brilliant styling and choice of materials and other sensual and visual properties of cars.

Therefore I'm not convinced items like Porsche's wheels (for example) are the last word on what looks great on the TT.

FWIW, though we've gotten used to them, at first "everybody" was wondering where those lobster forks came from on the CarreraS. I'm still not convinced they put the car over the top beauty-wise.

So I should buy another Ferrari then? Maybe a Maserati? Nahhhhhh..

So when's your Turbo coming? Maybe that's what you should do if you are still obsessing about certain design elements of the Turbo, maybe you should buy a Ferrari? Would the neighbors approve though?

btw: Sorry forgot who's car this is but have it saved in my pics. Is it Black or Basalt?

Quote:
    ADias said:
    The new TT wheels are a work of art and engineering. Excellent wheels!

I could not agree more... the new TT wheels are a piece of art!

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    The new TT wheels are a work of art and engineering. Excellent wheels!

I could not agree more... the new TT wheels are a piece of art!

Wasn't happy w/ the wheels when I first saw pictures but they won me over first time in person. What struck me was how much the outer part of the rim curved from the wheel bolt holes to the outsides...Then seeing them spooled up was all I needed to be sold on keeping them stock. Forged doesn't hurt the appeal either. I think "Can" posted this pic.

Here's an okay pic. too.

My car is going to look very similair to this/cept my interior is black:

Oopss! 6:00 appt. and hour and a half from here. Gotta Run! Have a good night!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

So when's your Turbo coming? Maybe that's what you should do if you are still obsessing about certain design elements of the Turbo, maybe you should buy a Ferrari? Would the neighbors approve though?

LOL. No problem. I almost got a pre-owned 12 cyl Testarossa. Couldn't physically fit in it. In retrospect I'm glad no TR I'm not really a car collector kind of guy; too much freekin' stuff already, ya know? Everybody needs a few cars, but not a collection. I like the TT because the 500hp is so practical. LOL.

My TT? I'm working on it, coming "soon."

Thanks for being nice.

I will be placing my order for a TT Cab after 08 specs are made public. Hopefully PKit and Sport Exhaust are factory available.I too have grown to like the TT std. rims. Color will be my biggest decision of indecision. One day Black, next Yellow. What a problem

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

LOL. No problem. I almost got a pre-owned 12 cyl Testarossa. Couldn't physically fit in it. In retrospect I'm glad no TR I'm not really a car collector kind of guy; too much freekin' stuff already, ya know? Everybody needs a few cars, but not a collection. I like the TT because the 500hp is so practical. LOL.

My TT? I'm working on it, coming "soon."

Thanks for being nice.

I got my 3rd drive in a Turbo last night. This time my neighbor was egging me on to get on the car so I got to feel more for what the Turbo is about. Trust me on something - When you get your car the very last thing on your mind is going to be the little plastic piece on the exhaust outlet. You're probably going to think you were silly spending so much time on such irrelevant little niggles. This car hauls ass. The Turbo sometimes feels similair to my 997 S cab except on steroids. I see what people are saying regarding the heavier steering feel, for me it's a positive. Better overall weight distribution than a 997 S probably adds to that heavier feel but imo also helps the car feel more planted, like you can drive out of a turn more aggressively without oversteer. Sure a lot of that is not just the better weight distrib. but more so the power being put to the front. You can feel the car pulling up through turns. Grip is insane. Just on feel alone feels on par w/ my 430 if not harder. I know my 430 is lighter but the Turbo is easier to drive aggressively through traffic. To me it still feels like I need more space to drive my 430 aggressively, the Turbo feels similair to my 997 S cab in that you have a great seating position and everything is in the perfect spot & you can easily see around you just not as much as w/ my S Cab w/ the top down. My 430 & the Turbo feel close in upper rpm acceleration but for everyday driving and time spent in the entire rev range the Turbo feels like a quicker car, like it's always pulling harder, except for very high in the upper-rpms where the 430 is at least on par. All I could keep thinking was this thing is an ass-kicker. I wasn't expecting as big a difference in power vs the 996 turbo I had. When those Turbo's spool up it kicks like a mule! Another thing is imo this car is way too much fun as a stick, the 430 I think is a great car to have F1 but don't think I'd choose PDK over stick, not in the Turbo, the the GT3 maybe. One of the things I realized too was that the Turbo will make for a perfect convertible. Making a convertible out of a car like the GT3 or even the F430 doesn't make as much sense. The lighter, the more track oriented & focused the car the less sense it makes to turn into a convertible. But a car like the Turbo that is already kind of heavy to begin with and more focused for street driving than the track is a perfect match for a convertible even more so than a 997 S IMO. Sorry went off on a couple of other topics there, my point being if wicked acceleration is your thing (it is for me) than youre going to love this car.

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    I will be placing my order for a TT Cab after 08 specs are made public. Hopefully PKit and Sport Exhaust are factory available.I too have grown to like the TT std. rims. Color will be my biggest decision of indecision. One day Black, next Yellow. What a problem

I'm all pumped up but honestly feel the TT Cab will be the most capable all-round convertible ever. (no I don't work for Porsche) The Swiss-Army knife of Sports Cars. Nothing else can do everything it will be able to. The closest car to the TT Cab is the G-spider but even that is still only a 2 seater and the TT Cab is faster is a straight line even improving it's lead past 62mph and is faster around a track. (at least one so far). And that's w/ the Turbo Cabriolet 6-speed. "Sport Exhaust" is the only thing missing imo. Sport Exhaust to the Turbo Cab?

Can't hurt that the Porsche is 30% cheaper too...

Lack of PDK/bluetooth/iPod veered me away for now...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    [ Nothing else can do everything it will be able to.

Yes..., but too bad the clean streamlined rooflines and rear windows of coupe _look_ nicer.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    [ Nothing else can do everything it will be able to.

Yes..., but too bad the clean streamlined rooflines and rear windows of coupe _look_ nicer.

Especially if you take pictures from different angles and tint the coupe. LoL!! But honestly the 911 Cariolet w/ top down is much cooler looking than any 911 coupe. But if you want to talk rooflines you can always come over and have a look at my F430, it kinda kicks the 997's ass in that regard. LoL!!

Besides one thing is for sure no amount of windows is better than eliminating them entirely dropping the top and enjoying a nice day in a Turbo Cabriolet,,,,,, especially if you're out DRIVING a convertible 911 and not just sitting around all day long staring at other people's 911 pictures.

But you can look at me if you like: LoL!! w/ that I gotta run, catch up later!

Greg, As you know I had the 997 TT and 997S at the same time. The one thing that I missed everytime I drove the TT was the PSE sound. I dont like to use aftermarket exhaust and my only concern for getting rid of my 997S when the 997TT cab arrives. The other thing is I hate to let the 997S cab go for $68K or there about. I Still havent decided if I will let go of the 997S when the TT cab arrives. I love my 997S to death. The TT was so quite you could hardly tell you were driving with the windows up. Cab will be different though with the top down. All we need is the damn PSE.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Greg, As you know I had the 997 TT and 997S at the same time. The one thing that I missed everytime I drove the TT was the PSE sound. I dont like to use aftermarket exhaust and my only concern for getting rid of my 997S when the 997TT cab arrives. The other thing is I hate to let the 997S cab go for $68K or there about. I Still havent decided if I will let go of the 997S when the TT cab arrives. I love my 997S to death. The TT was so quite you could hardly tell you were driving with the windows up. Cab will be different though with the top down. All we need is the damn PSE.

Agree 100%...The S Cab's PSE is fantastic. Besides all the extra sensory stuff you feel driving a cabriolet the PSE really seals the experience. Love it. There's been times when I got stuck in heavy traffic w/ a lot of 18 wheelers and too much outside noise and wanted to put up the top up, PSE off, radio on but I'd say 85% of my total miles in my cab was w/ top down, PSE on. That's part of why I love the Cab so much it almost feels like you have more than one car, it morphs into a very different feel depending on your mood or situation.. Anyway, I could understand why you kept your Cab when you bought the Turbo Coupe. I seriously doubt I will ever buy another 911 coupe now that I've had a cab. But I think once you get a Turbo Cab there wont be much of a need for your S cab any longer. You're probably right the TT Cab will sound a lot better than the Turbo Coupe from the cockpit, I hadn't thought of that. The PSE is great but no way I'd consider not trading to a Turbo Cabriolet just for the exhaust sound of the S cab. I'll miss it like you if they don't come out with one for the TT Cab but it didn't make me think twice about the move.. I'm like you, not a big fan of using after-market exhausts. If Porsche comes out w/ a TT Cabriolet PSE,,,, drinks are on me!

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:

Color can be the freakin hardest decision. Not that interested in PKit but Sport Exhaust would be saaaahhhweet!

Right with the PSE. I "hacked" mine to on all the time and the sound at all RPM's is fantastic. Have driven a launch 997TT and was not impressed with exhaust note. The power, well that's another story. Made my X51 feel a bit anemic. Have also heard several TT's from a distance and the sound is just not that great. I am not a fan of aftermarket parts on a factory warranty new car. Fingers crossed for PSE on the TT Cab

If you want to try out my ssk, let me know, anytime Stradale.
    C

Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    If you want to try out my ssk, let me know, anytime Stradale.
    C

I'm leaning toward keeping the shift standard, it took me a while to not feel nervous about shifting when driving very aggressively. Didn't want to make a mistake & over-rev so I'm at the point of feeling pretty good about hitting the gears without concentrating on shifting but instead on my driving. I'm nervous about changing a good thing and getting the Sport Shifter but haven't made my mind up 100% yet so appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it. Thanks!

Unlike the mushy and stretchy 996/986 shifter, in the mag reviews, there have been ZERO complaints and mostly accolades for the stock 997/987 shifter.

OOPS! Not sure about 987 since I haven't read any reviews on it, just making a "dangerous" assumption.

OK Greg. I will remind you to buy some drinks when PSE arives for TT. Macallen 18 year old will do just fine

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    OK Greg. I will remind you to buy some drinks when PSE arives for TT. Macallen 18 year old will do just fine

Quote:
    silverrules said:

RE: Turbo Cabriolet difference vs. Coupe engine/exhaust sound.

I happen to like the stock exhaust on my 997 TT and I come from a 997S with PSE! Not too quiet not too loud and the sound of the stock TT is more "Porschelike" than the PSE is on the S. By "Porschelike" I am referring to the air cooled sounds of pre-996 Porsches. Now if PSE comes out for the Turbo I might consider it but I have to hear it in person. Sound clips just don't do it for me.

I read this and cringe (see below). It also doubt the highlighted claim.

Makes me revert to thinking why not "engineer" the fallacy of engineered sound right into the BOSE system? Just digitize stuff like Ferrari, CGT, F1, heck..., even F-16 Tomcat and coordinate it with actual engine RPMs? Then you can have any sound you want. Even mount speakers on outside of car!

Okay..., okay..., I'm acting like an old fart in the larval stage. Then why not just have a three-way switch that makes the sukker _quiet_? That way you're not stuck with loud and louder (when PSE comes out).

Quote:
    MMD said:
    I read this and cringe (see below). It also doubt the highlighted claim.

Makes me revert to thinking why not "engineer" the fallacy of engineered sound right into the BOSE system? Just digitize stuff like Ferrari, CGT, F1, heck..., even F-16 Tomcat and coordinate it with actual engine RPMs? Then you can have any sound you want. Even mount speakers on outside of car!

Okay..., okay..., I'm acting like an old fart in the larval stage. Then why not just have a three-way switch that makes the sukker _quiet_? That way you're not stuck with loud and louder (when PSE comes out).

That's funny, I read that and went Yahoo!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    I happen to like the stock exhaust on my 997 TT and I come from a 997S with PSE! Not too quiet not too loud and the sound of the stock TT is more "Porschelike" than the PSE is on the S. By "Porschelike" I am referring to the air cooled sounds of pre-996 Porsches. Now if PSE comes out for the Turbo I might consider it but I have to hear it in person. Sound clips just don't do it for me.

Just a guess but IMO the TT Sport Exhaust will be out before January. Having the flexability to turn it on/off w/ sport chrono will make it impossible to resist for me. PCCB TT Cabriolet w/ PSE? O~M~G
    ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}}}}

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}}}}

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753556 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430947 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258700 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255553 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79592 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868511 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802169 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM