Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: GLC 63 S AMG Prices (June 2017)

Really looking forward to your impressions, the best SUV out there  kiss

martini964:

RC:

Also interesting: Dealer had a slightly used G63 (worth 173k EUR) test car with very low mileage and he offered it to me for the same lease the GLC will cost me. It was very tempting (G63 looked amazing, similar color) but my wife was so angry that I didn't even bother to let her look at itSmiley She hates the G63, so no chance to get one. Was probably the last chance but I shouldn't complain, the GLC63 is the hell of a SUV.

Maybe a nice breakfast in bed with some flowers would change the mood

Nah, she has to drive the car in winter time (since she hates the traction issues of the C63 in winter, she didn't like her M3 Cab in winter as well), this was our "deal", so no chance. She would drive with me in the G63, no problem but driving the G63 herself? She said she would rather drive around in a tractor. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Conny997:

Many congrats, Christian. The GLC 63 is currently the most desirable midsize SUV imho.SmileySmiley

As to your wife: well, I think she has a lot other advantages so she mustn't be a G63 lover.Smiley

In this department my wife is exactly the other way round: she loves the G63 a lot of years. More to come...

Thanks, the GLC was the only choice for me since I really cannot afford a Cayenne Turbo (my favorite... Smiley).

My wife is really approachable when it comes to cars and she was actually the one who told me to go for the R8 (never expected that) when we went for the RS6 shopping. The G63 just isn't her thing, she says it reminds her of an old off-roader, not a modern SUV. I understand what she means but this is actually what makes the G63 so special. Smiley

Can't wait to hear more about your next car choice... Smiley Had the chance to drive a G65 a few months ago and it felt so powerful... The sound was a bit underwhelming though, the G63 sounds better. Price was around 185k EUR, used with only 7000 km, so it was tempting but again, my wife was against it and the lease offer wasn't that attractive either for me (2000 EUR for 36 months, no down payment). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

aways amazed what kind of lease deals you seem to get - here no chance to lease for 72k a G65 with 185k. they would give me 50k remaining value and calculate from there....

BjoernB:

aways amazed what kind of lease deals you seem to get - here no chance to lease for 72k a G65 with 185k. they would give me 50k remaining value and calculate from there....

I think there were even cheaper offers for a G63, ALDO posted one a couple of months ago but most G63 at dealerships are gone, so... Smiley

It is a very competitive market over here in Germany... Unfortunately Porsche has good deals only for cars which don't sell well Smiley, it is different with Mercedes and BMW.

My Audi dealer offered me a RS6 Performance for 1.2k EUR per month (36 months, no down payment) but my sales guy told me that they are going to get better lease offers soon. Price is incl. VAT. They have tons of cars (new, used) in stock and need to get rid of them at some point (new A6 is coming).

Also, there are industry pools for certain lease offers and if you are lucky (and qualify)... Smiley Got 9% off the MSRP instantly through one of these pools and a reduced lease rate on top. Overall, I pay 1.4k (incl. VAT) for a GLC63 S AMG worth 137k (price  went up a bit, added some stuff). 36 months, no down payment, 35k km. Couldn't be happier. The Cayenne Turbo would have been 1100 EUR more per month.

--

@RC

have read this already?

https://www.motor-talk.de/news/mercedes-mittelklasse-suv-als-heckschleuder-t6186125.html

Lord_Driftalot:

@RC

have read this already?

https://www.motor-talk.de/news/mercedes-mittelklasse-suv-als-heckschleuder-t6186125.html

No, thanks. Smiley

I am curious if the GLC will offer the same drift mode the E63 offers (since it uses the E63 drivetrain, AWD and gearbox). Probably not but I'm curious.

My sales guy told me that an AMG engineer was recently at the dealership (it is a dealership which houses some of the Mercedes mules since it is not in private hands and Mercedes factory owned) and he was driving the GLC 63 S AMG (camouflaged as a GLC 43 Smiley  and without the GLC 63 front grille). That guy told him that they are still working on the setup to make the GLC 63 the sportiest mid sized SUV on the market. Judging by the above review, I just hope they didn't overdo it. Smiley

--

Very nice write up and so far as I understand you mustn't change your drive style you are used to from the R8 indecision

http://www.n-tv.de/auto/Mercedes-AMG-63S-der-Pitbull-unter-den-SUV-article20119882.html

--

Conny997:

Very nice write up and so far as I understand you mustn't change your drive style you are used to from the R8 indecision

http://www.n-tv.de/auto/Mercedes-AMG-63S-der-Pitbull-unter-den-SUV-article20119882.html

So it seems to be true what that AMG engineer told my sales guy but I'm not so sure if this is the right setup for a SUV. Smiley Sporty is OK but I think that a SUV doesn't need a (non-official) drift mode in Race driving mode. Smiley

Well, I read the warnings but I guess it cannot be worse than what I experienced in the C63 S AMG Convertible I drove (and ordered as well). Smiley

--

First video (not really a review...yet...but close), German only, sorry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhXSqvbq4M

--

Well, a small update on my G63 story: Me and my wife went to look at the G63 AMG dealer car and take a short test-drive as well. My wife said that if I really want this car, she could live with it but first, she wants to look at it again and take a test-drive. 

As a reminder: My dealer offered me a new(!) G63 AMG with March 2018 delivery (one of the last) at the same lease rate as my ordered GLC 63 S AMG Edition 1, which is surprising since the GLC is worth 135k EUR but the G63 AMG he offered is worth 157k EUR. I guess demand for the current G63 AMG has dropped since the new model is supposed to come out next year.

Well, we went to the dealer, my wife still didn't like (too much) how it looks but she drove it for 10 minutes, she liked the interior and the interior space, so she said...yes, if I really badly want one.

Instead of returning to the dealership, we drove to a short brunch meet with a couple of her female friends (my best friend was also there with his wife).

When we arrived, most of the friends were outside and saw the G63 AMG (designo platin magno color, some sorts of matte metallic grey). Everyone came over to the car, looked at it and suddenly they started saying stuff like "oh, have you become a billionaire" or "this is pure luxury on wheels" or "my god, this is my total dream car but only rich people drive one" and so on. Me and my wife looked at each other and were very surprised that so many females actually liked this car.

We also talked about it at brunch but it became clear pretty fast that everyone considered the G 63 to be some sorts of the signature SUV for the rich. yes 

In the end, I decided to stick to the GLC because I never thought the G63 would attract that much attention in Germany. mail Even my R8 didn't cause such a fuss about a car and they all know it. I cannot have a car causing so much attention in front of my business and this would really be my daily driver.

So sadly, I told my dealer that I stick to the GLC 63 S AMG order. My kids love the G63 too but they are fine with the GLC as well. It will be already enough to have two AMG Mercedes in front of the business but if I add a G63 to the mix and especially during the current climate change discussion in Germany, I think this would be a huge mistake.

So...unfortunately...no G63 for me but this time, my wife isn't to be blamed. yes Funny, after her girl friends were so excited about the G63, my wife told me twice to take the G63.  Since I have to drive it most of the time though, I will go with the (for me) smarter choice, the GLC. 

Life can be hard sometimes...  (yeah, I know, first world problems).

--

Go with the G63. You are putting too much though into what others think. I would only consider the opinions of my wife, kids, and what you really want. Whenever you would see one you might say I wish I had taken it. 

AP911:

Go with the G63. You are putting too much though into what others think. I would only consider the opinions of my wife, kids, and what you really want. Whenever you would see one you might say I wish I had taken it. 

My business is something I cannot afford to mess with. Lately, I have many young(er) customers, very leftist and climate change oriented (I use paper bags in my business but already got some nasty comments about them), mostly students and I don't think a G class (even if they didn't know it is a G63) is a good idea in front of my business.  

Also, my son is right: The G63 is cool but the GLC is much faster (straight line and curves) and both sound basically the same.

Last but not least, I know my wife: She sympathizes with the G63 now because her girlfriends liked it but in the end, she won't be happy with the G63 (she has to drive it in winter time because she cannot handle the C63 S AMG Convertible on slippery roads, so we switch cars). Similar thing happened with the Panamera Turbo S I had: Got the car because my wife preferred it over the Cayenne Turbo S but in the end, I was the only one driving it because it was too big for her, whatever. Smiley

--

What a decision process always. 

One likes a car, one can afford it, one buys it, would be too simple! winksmiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Maybe a tesla then 😋

Porker:

What a decision process always. 

One likes a car, one can afford it, one buys it, would be too simplewinksmiley

Smiley Smiley

Way too simple... Smiley

--

AP911:

Maybe a tesla then 😋

Well, a Tesla would be as bad as a G63, believe it or not Tesla is considered a luxury car here, especially by younger climate activists.

A Prius would be better, maybe some small ELV (Renault Zoe or electric Smart) but most of them ride bicycles, so... Smiley

Best thing is not to shine out of the mass of cars and we have tons of GLCs driving around here, so no problem. Nobody really knows what a GLC 63 is, so I think I'm good. 

--

@Christian

just my comments to your G story:

Both the G63 and the GLC63 are pretty good cars each in its own departement.

After driving the G63 since approx. 3 weeks I just can tell you that we're absolutely happy with it especially my wife. She can't get the grin out of her face while driving the G.

2 days ago she said "after all cars we had the last 30 years this car is the one I really love and with the most emotional input". Tough words I think.

And yes the car causes a lot of attention but surprisingly we heard only positive comments like "we always wanted a G but never realized it" or "when a SUV then a car like the G" or "this is a real ATV I like it". 

I'm sure most of the people don't realize that the G63 has a relatively high consumption. Furthermore  I can't imagine that people will see a consumption difference between the G63 and the GLC63 in case they checked out that these are AMG models.

But anyway you'll be happy with the GLC as well. It's an fantastic and sporty midsize SUV.

--

RC:

...Lately, I have many young(er) customers, very leftist and climate change oriented (I use paper bags in my business but already got some nasty comments about them), 

What’s their problem with that? Surely paper bags are way better than plastic environmentally..? Biodegradable, recyclable, and assuming the are sourced ethically, then sustainable too.. yes

I guess the best thing environment-wise is to ask if they want one at all, but that seems a bit strange.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Conny997:

@Christian

just my comments to your G story:

Both the G63 and the GLC63 are pretty good cars each in its own departement.

After driving the G63 since approx. 3 weeks I just can tell you that we're absolutely happy with it especially my wife. She can't get out her grin out of her face while driving the G.

2 days ago she said "after all cars we had the last 30 years this car is the one I really love and with the most emotional input". Tough words I think.

And yes the car causes a lot of attention but surprisingly we heard only positive comments like "we always wanted a G but never realized it" or "when a SUV then a car like the G" or "this is a real ATV I like it". 

I'm sure most of the people don't realize that the G63 has a relatively high consumption. Furthermore  I can't imagine that people will see a consumption difference between the G63 and the GLC63 in case they checked out that these are AMG models.

But anyway you'll be happy with the GLC as well. It's an fantastic and sporty midsize SUV.

Thanks for your kind words but of course I have some regrets when thinking of not getting the G63. Smiley

Unfortunately my business is very small and such a car attracts a lot of attention here, it is a bit different in a big city of course. I still have time to think about it (the GLC is ordered, a production slot in April for May delivery but the dealer cannot enter the precise specs into the system yet because the Edition 1 color I chose (designo selenite grey magno) isn't accepted by the ordering system yet. Smiley Dealer said I could decide within the next two weeks which one I want but so far, I am pretty sure it is going to be the GLC.

--

DaveGordon:
    RC:

...Lately, I have many young(er) customers, very leftist and climate change oriented (I use paper bags in my business but already got some nasty comments about them), 

What’s their problem with that? Surely paper bags are way better than plastic environmentally..? Biodegradable, recyclable, and assuming the are sourced ethically, then sustainable too.. yes

No bags at all is even more environmentally friendly. Smiley

I guess the best thing environment-wise is to ask if they want one at all, but that seems a bit strange.

I always ask but this doesn't really matter. 
    This may sound more dramatic than it is, my customers are friendly and all but I know how they think and putting a G63 in front of my business could put some of them off for sure, especially after the comments I heard.

At home? No problem. We live outside the city, a G class wouldn't be any issue and for me, even a Lamborghini wouldn't be a problem anymore. People got used to the R8 and my neighbor had a McLaren 12C Spider, now he has a 720S Spider on order and everyone knows this (his son is a blabbermouth Smiley) , no big deal (anymore). This could change of course if we get into another economical crisis. Smiley

--

You probably already answered this question, but why not just park the car around the corner? I agree an expensive car can look bad in front of your shop, but there are ways you can work around this. Friend of mine owns an ad bussiness, they have a Renault Espace at the office to use when visiting clients, instead of their 911’s & AMG’s. 

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

I think it would be a mistake to buy a G class now anyway, whether you love it or not. The new one is right around the corner. If you buy now, you're gonna be pissed if you like the new one a lot better.

Remember, old cars don't disappear. They are always available to buy.

I think it being a lease gives RC the advantage of buying it if he likes the old one better or upgrading to the new. However, it doesn't matter because he is not listening to his heart but following his head heart

There will still probably be ones for lease even after the new one comes out. You can always find unsold cars.

noone1:

I think it would be a mistake to buy a G class now anyway, whether you love it or not. The new one is right around the corner. If you buy now, you're gonna be pissed if you like the new one a lot better.

Remember, old cars don't disappear. They are always available to buy.

Of course we knew that the new G is around the corner. Exactly that is the reason that we bought the old one. The current G-series has that what we call "character" from the front bumper to the spare wheel. We don't want anything to change, nothing. Last but not least we're convinced the new one will get the 4 liters V8. This engine is of course one of the best AMG ever built but still we're liking the old 5,5 l.

--

Hi RC. I have not been following this thread closely so forgive my quick comments. In my view the G Mercedes is way too military, bulky and downright ugly. Reminds me of a Hummer, something a drug lord or reckless NBA basketball star would show off. The GLC is much more attractive, but I'm getting confused about your price comparison. I know  there is a huge difference between Germany and US prices, but for 137,000 K you could get one heck of a turbo Cayenne. Can you clarify your buying criteria again and  compare the price/lease of a turbo cayenne to your GLC potential purchase? I'm not being antagonistic here, I'm just confused. wink

spudgun:

You probably already answered this question, but why not just park the car around the corner? I agree an expensive car can look bad in front of your shop, but there are ways you can work around this. Friend of mine owns an ad bussiness, they have a Renault Espace at the office to use when visiting clients, instead of their 911’s & AMG’s. 

Not possible, no parking spaces available, everything reserved for people living there (I only have a business, no right to get a parking "license"). Most parking garages are also not suited for a G class sized SUV.

--

Wonderbar:

Hi RC. I have not been following this thread closely so forgive my quick comments. In my view the G Mercedes is way too military, bulky and downright ugly. Reminds me of a Hummer, something a drug lord or reckless NBA basketball star would show off. The GLC is much more attractive, but I'm getting confused about your price comparison. I know  there is a huge difference between Germany and US prices, but for 137,000 K you could get one heck of a turbo Cayenne. Can you clarify your buying criteria again and  compare the price/lease of a turbo cayenne to your GLC potential purchase? I'm not being antagonistic here, I'm just confused. wink

The GLC 63 S AMG Edition 1 is fully optioned and costs around 137k EUR.

A new Cayenne Turbo with similar options would be around 180k EUR but I specced one for 163k, even got 10%(!) discount (which is very unusual for a new model) and it still costs me 1000(!) EUR more per month lease. No thanks.

--

AP911:

I think it being a lease gives RC the advantage of buying it if he likes the old one better or upgrading to the new. However, it doesn't matter because he is not listening to his heart but following his head heart

If I would always follow my heart, I would be in big trouble by now. Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM