Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Any 997S owners who now own a Turbo?

So I've placed my TT Cabriolet Order and I'm back into that new 911 excitement mode. It felt simlair 2 years ago when I was busy with the options for my 997 S cabriolet but this time it just feels even MORE exciting. I guess part of me knows how much I've enjoyed my 997 S Cab and imagining the performance of the Turbo but combined with the fun of my Cab is really making me psyched about the TT Cab....So in the meantime I was hoping someone could tell me what to expect. I've driven 2 Turbo Coupes but neither one for very long and feel funny about driving someone else car aggressive. So I guess what I want to know is - Are there any people here that went from a 997 S/997 S Cab to a turbo? And if so what are the differences from your perspective?

Re: Any 997S owners who now own a Turbo?

Stradale, i'm in NY so if you ever want to drive my TT you're more than welcome. You can drive it as aggressively as you'd like LOL!

I had an '06 997S that I traded for my TT. The cars are pretty different. My S was pretty basic as far as interior options go and the TT is pretty loaded up so I'm thrilled with that part of it. The interior is great.

The "point and shoot" capability is obviously much better in the TT than the S. As much as I love the TT the switch has taught me just how really good the S is.

You can definitely feel the extra weight of the TT with the S having a bit more of a direct/darty feel to it's steering. The TT is a bit more isolated in this respect.

I also think the S feels a bit more planted. I have been able to get the rear out on the TT much easier than on the S. "more planted" might not be the right way to describe it. Maybe more controllable or consistent?

both are a blast to drive and I'm still happy I made the switch.

i had a CS when i traded it to the TT

the CS was my first porsche.
    the CS is more precise. so linear. so strong.

and the turbo is just challenger. a beast that can be used to go to the market.
    the clutch in turbo is softer than in the CS.

BOTH CARS WORTH any dolar espended.

curves:
    the CS has the nose IMO so light better in the turbo(maybe because the extra weight in the front 4x4)

I had a 2005 997 C2S that I recently traded in for a 997 TT which is arriving hopefully at the end of August.

So, hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to this thread in an intelligent fashion in about 30-40 days!

I had an S, then a turbo and then a C4S Cab; which I just sold yesterday. (I too am cnsidering a TT Cab) I have to agree with the above. After going from a C2S Coupe to the turbo I did realized how good the C2S was. Although nothing compares to the turbo power; I just PREFER the NA engine characteristics. That is not saying that I will go the turbo route again.

The C2S Coupe felt more like a race car and less than a GT car which the turbo really is. If the C2S had close to the power and torque of the turbo it would be the prefect car. I thought the turbo felt more planted but the S felt more go cart in it's suspension set up, which I liked.

I loved my C4S Cab, because it was a Cab and the sound of the boxer engine got me excited. That's without PSE. (Straddale, you have told me how impresssive PSE was in the Cab; I can only imagine.)

My turbo was definately a point and shoot car. I did love that turbo pull up a long mountain type road (Rte 17), with big sweepers, that few other cars can match. As good as the 911S is it can't replicate that feeling.

If I had to choose soley on the car's merits, I'd go with a C4S or C2S Cab with PCCBs and X51. To me, it would be as close to the perfect Porsche currently available. 400 HP would be great, but it's not here yet. But, because I judge my cars by the price relative to the resale, I could never go that route. I did feel as though my C4S Cab felt a little anemic after a while. Still a lot of fun, but a little down on the HP. The power to weight is not too good.

So, a Turbo Cab, with PSE may be the way to go.

Chris - Thanks. I'm in L.I. too. Lake Success (Great Neck)
    xandi911/ alin2 - Appreciate it.

Devo - I remember us talking just a couple of month ago about you getting the pre-owned C4S Cab. Why'd you sell so quick?

I loved my S Cab but when I bought the car over 2 years ago I had always intended it to be a transitional car that I could really enjoy until the 997 TT Cab was out. When I traded my 996 Turbo Coupe I knew that I really wanted a convertible and I looked at 996 Turbo S Cab's but had decided to get the 997 S cab instead and wait for the 997 TT Cab. Loved the 997 S Cab imo it's a fantastic car and except for pain in the ass dealing w/ the steel brakes it performed great. But the only thing that I missed from the very beginning was the power. Once you're up in the RPM's power is okay but otherwise power is not what I like in a Sports Car. My previous 3 Sports Car's before the 997 S Cab all had over 400hp... Sounds like you're of the same opinion. Now that I've had a Cab for over 2 years I know for sure that I'm going to stay with the Convertible. Having the added Fun of the Cab with the power of the Turbo is exactly the combination that I've wanted for quite some time now.

RE: The PSE, without a doubt it's the best option available for the 997 S, ESPECIALLY in the S Cabriolet.. Who knows maybe by the time I get my TT Cab the TT Sports Exhaust will be out?...... 997 TT Cab w/ PSE???

btw: I gave up a September build spot for the dealers 1st customer build TT Cab for a Early Spring Delivery instead. We will be seeing the Launch TT Cab's VERY shortly.

I just traded my 06 C2S for an 07 997TT. I love the TT it's a different animal all together. However I have to admit I liked the clutch on the 997S better. Other than that the pleasure of driving the TT is unlike other P-cars with exception of the GT3 which is a different car and not what I would consider for daily driving. Get the TT it's an awsome car.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Devo - I remember us talking just a couple of month ago about you getting the pre-owned C4S Cab. Why'd you sell so quick?

I loved my S Cab but when I bought the car over 2 years ago I had always intended it to be a transitional car that I could really enjoy until the 997 TT Cab was out. When I traded my 996 Turbo Coupe I knew that I really wanted a convertible and I looked at 996 Turbo S Cab's but had decided to get the 997 S cab instead and wait for the 997 TT Cab. Loved the 997 S Cab imo it's a fantastic car and except for pain in the ass dealing w/ the steel brakes it performed great. But the only thing that I missed from the very beginning was the power. Once you're up in the RPM's power is okay but otherwise power is not what I like in a Sports Car. My previous 3 Sports Car's before the 997 S Cab all had over 400hp... Sounds like you're of the same opinion. Now that I've had a Cab for over 2 years I know for sure that I'm going to stay with the Convertible. Having the added Fun of the Cab with the power of the Turbo is exactly the combination that I've wanted for quite some time now.

RE: The PSE, without a doubt it's the best option available for the 997 S, ESPECIALLY in the S Cabriolet.. Who knows maybe by the time I get my TT Cab the TT Sports Exhaust will be out?...... 997 TT Cab w/ PSE???

btw: I gave up a September build spot for the dealers 1st customer build TT Cab for a Early Spring Delivery instead. We will be seeing the Launch TT Cab's VERY shortly.

I had my fun and the price (profit) was right.

You make me want the turbo cab.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I had my fun and the price (profit) was right.

You make me want the turbo cab.

For me the TT Cab. is going to be THE CAR. Combination of Turbo Torque with an open top? Man! This car is going to be fun. I'm definitely more excited about getting the TT Cab then I was when I ordered my 997 S cab. Been looking forward to this car since the 997/997 S Coupes came out back in August 2004. Went to a dealer the other day that had 997's in the colors I was debating, after seeing Basalt again outside, I'm 100% sure.. TT Cab/Triple Black w/ Basalt/Int. loaded w/ Carbon Fiber & leather/ PCCB's! Yahoo! LoL!

You gotta do it.

Please forgive me for possibly hitting on your Cab enthusiasm. You're great guys and I mean ZERO harm. I have reservations about a Cab on a turbo for cosmetic reasons.

The Turbo is soooo slatty, venty and wingy; it's got stuff attached and stuck to it all over the place (exhaust apertures, front signallight, bi-colored wheels, SC on dash, floppy wing, colored brakes, etc., etc.).

I'm a minimalist (less-is-more) so my first intention is to get a dark paint and black interior to tone down all this TT bizzyness.

My point: add a ragtop to it and you've added different contrasty color, texture, more lines, a little humpy-er, metal framework, etc etc. With all the existing Turbo accoutrements the thing may start to resemble one of those all-purpose/terrain, functional, add-on, sport vehicle utility vehicles instead of a sleek, purpose built fast car.

Just blabbing..., it's a tough decision and all POV should be known... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Please forgive me for possibly hitting on your Cab enthusiasm. You're great guys and I mean ZERO harm. I have reservations about a Cab on a turbo for cosmetic reasons.

The Turbo is soooo slatty, venty and wingy; it's got stuff attached and stuck to it all over the place (exhaust apertures, front signallight, bi-colored wheels, SC on dash, floppy wing, colored brakes, etc., etc.).

I'm a minimalist (less-is-more) so my first intention is to get a dark paint and black interior to tone down all this TT bizzyness.

My point: add a ragtop to it and you've added different contrasty color, texture, more lines, a little humpy-er, metal framework, etc etc. With all the existing Turbo accoutrements the thing may start to resemble one of those all-purpose/terrain, functional, add-on, sport vehicle utility vehicles instead of a sleek, purpose built fast car.

Just blabbing..., it's a tough decision and all POV should be known... .

Sorry never felt the same as you regarding the Turbo's looks. I know if given the chance you'd cut the rear wing off, cut off the exhaust etc. etc......... Love the rear wing. Loved it on my 996 turbo and think it looks even cooler on the 997 Turbo. Liked the vents on the 996 turbo but the ones on the 997 turbo are much more modern looking. You dislike stitching, I ordered additional optional leather that comes w/ even more stitching. Always posted I like the SC clock too. Reminds me of the gauges I used to have in my muscle cars. .. "colored brakes"? Love em...

Regarding the look of a Turbo Cab. Loved the way the 996 turbo Cab looked more than the 996 turbo coupe I had in the 996 Turbo, love the way the 997 S looks more as a cab (as long as the top is down) & a lot of the reason why I'm so psyched for the 997 Turbo Cab is because of the Turbo look and now that the rear fenders are wide again. Always have (since the older Turbo Cabs) loved the way they look & imo the Turbo Cab is exactly the look I've been waiting for, for a long time. Top down from the rear quarter the car is going to look insane, if that's the look you like (& I do)....... Mean, wide, top off, fat tires, Rear wing...Yummmm!

RE: your "minimalist" preference. Ever think maybe the Turbo isn't for you? No offense but the 997 Turbo is pretty much the opposite of what you describe that you like in a car. Maybe you'd be happier w/ a DB9 or something, a prettier car with cleaner more flowing lines?

I'm sorry don't mean to sound so excited it's just that my S cab was a blast, maybe having a 911 convertible gives me the rays I need? Maybe I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) & driving in a convertible especially a car like the 911 convertible in nice weather makes me feel great? Raining today of course .....Connected to the road more by the the Sound, the wind & the sun, etc. etc.... Driving that thing below/The TT Cab? Oh man for me it's the cats meow! Loved how my 997 S made me feel connected to the road, like the car was an extension of me but if it only had some more power it would be next to perfect.... Don't like Brown but damn this thing looks like so much fun!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

RE: your "minimalist" preference. Ever think maybe the Turbo isn't for you? No offense but it's pretty much the opposite of what you describe that you like in a car. Maybe you'd be happier w/ a DB9 or something, a prettier looking car imo.

You _like_ the fabulous exhaust apertures? The Wart? The _plastic_ inserts for the intercooler vents? The slatty wheels? I dunno..., they look a _bit_ tacky to me. . Gotta admit the droopy wing isn't tooooo bad compared to GTx cars: still a retractible spoiler would have been "impossible" ONLY for effective Turbo SALES (just chatting here..., never trying to start a brawl )

Never thought the Turbo isn't for me. Never. I'm just not pleased with every frickin' aspect of the car. Especially those which some marketing geniuses forced on the design team. I can imagine working trying in the design dept to please the "do-what's-necessary-to-sell-more-cars" pressures at Porsche AG.

I'm just buying the thing because:

1. I had a 911T when I was a kid. Big Porsche-less gap between then and a few years ago.

2. buying it because I have slower cars to pass on narrow twisty rural highways.

3. service isn't a PITA like an Aston (porsche is "only" 80 miles away).

As for the car "not being for [me]," this one _MIGHT_ be my last Porsche unless Porsche gets back to basics and starts producing "form-follows-function" cars again. They're probably already committed to riding on the trendy, stylish bandwagon, doncha think? Maybe not... . Hopefully... .

Please don't be dismayed by my alternate point of view. I don't think we should just accept without question all the stuff that they throw at us.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

RE: your "minimalist" preference. Ever think maybe the Turbo isn't for you? No offense but it's pretty much the opposite of what you describe that you like in a car. Maybe you'd be happier w/ a DB9 or something, a prettier looking car imo.

You _like_ the fabulous exhaust apertures? The Wart? The _plastic_ inserts for the intercooler vents? The slatty wheels? I dunno..., they look a _bit_ tacky to me. . Gotta admit the droopy wing isn't tooooo bad compared to GTx cars: still a retractible spoiler would have been "impossible" ONLY for effective Turbo SALES (just chatting here..., never trying to start a brawl )

Never thought the Turbo isn't for me. Never. I'm just not pleased with every frickin' aspect of the car. Especially those which some marketing geniuses forced on the design team. I can imagine working trying in the design dept to please the "do-what's-necessary-to-sell-more-cars" pressures at Porsche AG.

I'm just buying the thing because:

1. I had a 911T when I was a kid. Big Porsche-less gap between then and a few years ago.

2. buying it because I have slower cars to pass on narrow twisty rural highways.

3. service isn't a PITA like an Aston (porsche is "only" 80 miles away).

As for the car "not being for [me]," this one _MIGHT_ be my last Porsche unless Porsche gets back to basics and starts producing "form-follows-function" cars again. They're probably already committed to riding on the trendy, stylish bandwagon, doncha think? Maybe not... . Hopefully... .

Please don't be dismayed by my alternate point of view. I don't think we should just accept without question all the stuff that they throw at us.

Yes, I think the exhaust looks good, especially better than the way it looked on my 996 turbo with the pipes sticking out under cuts in the bottom of the bumper. Yes, as I said I LIKE THE WART. Yes, imo the TechArt intercooler vents for the 996 turbo were always very cool looking so when Porsche basically copied that idea except made them bigger I was happy...RE: The wheels - When I first saw pictures of them I didn't really like them but the very first time I saw them for real (I took some of the very first real pics of them at the NY turbo lounge) I changed my mind. Have you seen them in person yet (not just pictures) or while moving in person? To be fair I still don't like the way the front fog lights look, never did.

Honestly I never understood your position of always looking to take a screwdriver to the thing. LoL! Swear no offense, swear okay? But everytime, I'm expecting you to sound like MacGyver, ' lets see I'll cut this off & unscrew this, take the front bumper from this car, attach it to rear here and superglue this piece to that peice and ta da!'. Dude, really I enjoy reading your messages really do but I think you get fixated on stuff and I just picture you as some sort of mad-scientist ripping apart stuff. Some stuff is designed to be functional & others because designers/engineers created what they decided looked best, it's not some conspiracy to put out stuff you're not suppose to like just so they can get the better of you. Sometimes stuff is best just left alone.

I don't feel like Porsche is pushing anything on me. The competition is fierce and if I didn't want a 997 Turbo there are other cars avialable. I'm not in any way 'dismayed by your alternate point of view'. I don't even know you. You could be a lunatic for all I know. Just kidding of course but you know..

Buying a car because you 'had one in a previous life' or because it's the 'closest dealer' isn't really the things that would make me buy a car. You should IMO be psyched about it not ready to take a hacksaw to it before you even bring it home. All I'm saying is - It seems like you feel like Porsche has pushed a product on you & you spend a lot of time angry at the way the product looks. What I'm saying is - Keep an open mind and don't feel cornered into buying a 997 turbo, maybe the way the car looks isn't agreeing with you because.........YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY THE CAR LOOKS......If that were me I'd consider other cars. Spending $150k on a car that you don't even like doesn't make much sense.

Sorry for the book, I gotta run for dinner, take it easy!!!

Atomic's/Over The Hill's cars...For me this car is wild looking...Just needs it's top cut off & yummmmy.

Your enthusiasm is infectious. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I'm sorry don't mean to sound so excited it's just that my S cab was a blast, maybe having a 911 convertible gives me the rays I need? Maybe I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) & driving in a convertible especially a car like the 911 convertible in nice weather makes me feel great? Raining today of course .....Connected to the road more by the the Sound, the wind & the sun, etc. etc.... Driving that thing below/The TT Cab? Oh man for me it's the cats meow! Loved how my 997 S made me feel connected to the road, like the car was an extension of me but if it only had some more power it would be next to perfect.... Don't like Brown but damn this thing looks like so much fun!

STRADALE, Thanks I appreciate your point of view and I'm getting used to what you say. I can see why the exhaust apertures are the way they are; like the slatty wheels, Porsche is trying to make them look like the rest of the car.

OTOH, guys with ALOT more experience than I also "hate" the exhausts (our own RC and one of the first Excellence reviewers of the TT were both aghast when they saw them).

Soooo..., there's nothing wrong with a head-over-heels love affair with the car just as well as there's nothing wrong with a love/"hate" relationship with the car. Nothing's perfect. The moments of "rapture" ( ) are the same.

STRADALE,
    I've enjoyed the thread. I'm still thinking about trading up my C4S for a turbo. The problem is that it's hard to find fault with the C2S and C4S. The only real issue for me and obviously others on this board, is HP. Seems like we all want more. Let's see 355 vs 480? Well I'm willing to give up a little nimbleness for the acceleration. However, I can't argue with those that prefer a NA engine and live on mountain roads. At any rate both cars are great.

I went from a 997S to the Turbo (M5 in between). I agree with STRADALE and love the looks of the turbo cab and would have one if it wasn't for the wind and sun, etc. The turbo power is incredible but the 997S feels a little lighter, sportier, sounds better, slower, etc. The perfect Porsche for me would be: the handling of the gt3, power of the turbo, sound of the 997S with PSE, looks of the cab.

MMD,

It has finally dawned on me that it **IS** the Turbo's wheels, NOT the body's vents/holes, that bother me! Obviously it's a matter of taste, but IMHO, the wheels alone are what make the Turbo look so fussy/busy.

Just think of the numerous slats and slits on each wheel. To top it off, the shiny mirror finish against dark grey paint makes the slats stand out even more. Then the slits themselves are of unequal lengths; the whole thing is just not fun to look at and a far cry from those beautiful Ferrari wheels. As an example, look at TT's with silver RS wheels replacement, the "look" of the car is transformed, IMO. I think you will be happier once the wheels are gone.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    ....snip...I can see why the exhaust apertures are the way they are; like the slatty wheels, Porsche is trying to make them look like the rest of the car.
    ...snip...

Quote:
    cannga said:
    MMD,

It has finally dawned on me that it **IS** the Turbo's wheels, NOT the body's vents/holes, that bother me! Obviously it's a matter of taste, but IMHO, the wheels alone are what make the Turbo look so fussy/busy.

Crazy..., and effective? It's like making a BIG deal out of the vents and wings to make them disappear by re-stating it all in the wheels.

Here's a comp (sorry not the same colors). I saw a TT with Ruf wheels and it was verrrry cool.

These are the Ruf wheels (oh nuts?, I _HOPE_ they are the Ruf wheels).

No this is Rinspeed C5/1. Absolutely beautiful and so much more "relaxing" to look at. I am telling you this Turbo wheel really stresses me out . Funny the Rinspeed is the exact wheel I'd have in mind were I asked to choose a wheel for you, knowing your complaint about how busy the Turbo looks. The problem with these is they only come in 20 inch size.

Other wheels of similar 5 spoke design are Techart, don't know the weight or size, but might be heavier than stock, and RUF, which I hear is really heavy. The Rinspeed gets near universal praise and is my favorite of all after-market wheels by far, except for the problematic size.

I'd better stop hijacking Stradale's thread.

omg, thank you Stradale, I almost thought I am the only one here who like the stock exhaust outlet.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    These are the Ruf wheels (oh nuts?, I _HOPE_ they are the Ruf wheels).

If I had a turbo I would not do this . The twin pipes are terrible imo and add more detail , they dont fit nicely in its surround . The after rimms just dont cut it for me , they look too much like a add on , if you get what I mean ...

I agree with STRADALE. The TT looks terrific. All the bitching about this and that, the looks of the SC (it actually looks fine) and so on is Monday morning quarterbacking of frustrated football players.

I'm for form follows function and the 997 TT is it.

Thanks for the info cannga. Sorry also for hijacking thread.

Here's a side view.

You are right about the wheels, changes the car altogether.

Stradale, have you tried the AMV8 roadster? you are minutes away from the dealer. Sure it has less HP, but the driving experience is on par IMHO, definitly an upgrade over the 997S, many of us went that route instead of TT. Considering your other ponies in your stable, it might be intersting to go more confortable for a convertible...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    You are right about the wheels, changes the car altogether.

Stradale, have you tried the AMV8 roadster? you are minutes away from the dealer. Sure it has less HP, but the driving experience is on par IMHO, definitly an upgrade over the 997S, many of us went that route instead of TT. Considering your other ponies in your stable, it might be intersting to go more confortable for a convertible...

It's true, I'm about 2 miles from my AM dealer. I could see why a lot of guys would buy the AMV8... I gave it some thought but didn't feel that connectivity like I do in the 911 cab. And it's a really beautiful car, prettier imo than the Turbo but I just like the way the 997 turbo looks. Especially the Turbo Cab. But for me the biggest thing is that the Turbo has the HP that I've been missing since I sold my 996 Turbo...& then some... Also besides the most important things imo, the way a car drives, how much fun it is to drive/the way it looks etc. I wanted to consider other things - I already have a 2 seater sports car (F430), the AMV8 doesn't have small back seats like the Turbo Cabriolet, for me this is a very big selling feature, that I can take my 7 & 5 year old kids along for the ride. Last week alone we went on 3 drives together all in the cab. My kids love it! I'd consider the AMV8 Cab. instead of a 997 S Cab but it's not a contender (for me) vs. a 480hp/505 ft lbs/ all-wheel-drive/0-124mph in 12.3 second Turbo Cab. (for me anyway)......... As a Cabriolet the 997's really do something for me. W/ my 997 S cab it always felt great walking up to the car, putting the top down and driving just for the sake of driving. The car just feels fantastic. But add another 125 HP, 200 ft lbs of torque, fatten the rear tires & fenders, PCCB's, load the interior with Carbon Fiber and I'm in second heaven. There's not another car on the road I'd pick & I've been thinking about it for a couple of years. Honestly can't wait! Loved my S cab, can't even imagine how freakin insane the Turbo Cabriolet is going to be. Fun! Fun! Fun!..... I'm way more psyched about getting a Turbo Cab than I ever was when I ordered my 997 S cab.. Imagine a 997 Turbo Cabriolet w/ a Sports Exhaust! OMG it gives me the shivers! LoL!!

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    omg, thank you Stradale, I almost thought I am the only one here who like the stock exhaust outlet.

So there's you, there's me and there's Porsche..

You guys like those wheels and those exhaust tips? Awful!

The new TT wheels are a work of art and engineering. Excellent wheels!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM