Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Greenpeace is back to its old methods...

Greenpeace targets Porsche

Let's hope we won't see a rise in vandalism around our cars.

Re: Greenpeace is back to its old methods...

Quote:
    ADias said:

Greenpeace targets Porsche

Let's hope we won't see a rise in vandalism around our cars.

No problem! For every porsche that gets vandalized, we vandalize 10 Toyota Prius's

Nice banners!

They likely flew thousands of miles in their private jets to protest a relatively small company.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Nice banners!

They likely flew thousands of miles in their private jets to protest a relatively small company.

...that builds the 911 Turbo, one of the cleanest sports cars on the market...that Clarkson even admits!

I wonder how the pig nose on the Cayenne affected the MPG and drag?

Funny porsche retort, didn't know germans had a sense of humour like that

Love Porsche's response

A little FACT about the boss of Greenpeace Germany: she is almost 60 years old, she owns an old(!) VW Golf which (of course ) she uses very seldom. As far as I know she isn't married and she has no kids.
    Sorry to say that but I think that somebody who puts a couple of kids into this world, gives them a proper education and moral values, is worth ten times more than people who always worry about our planet, other people, etc. but never actually did something REALLY valuable for our society. I always have to laugh when somebody like this woman tells people about saving the future for our children. What kind of example is she? I'd rather save my kids from people like her, seriously.

Again, don't get me wrong: Greenpeace is important and there are also people who don't have aggressive and unreasonable approaches towards the industry and others. Look however to certain environmental/animal protection groups, I bet that in 100 years, when (hopefully) islamic terrorism will be gone, we'll get a new form of terrorism, commited by extremist environmental/animal protection activists. Humans NEVER seem to learn from the past.

RC,

+1 for your comments above.

Could somebody translate or paraphrase the signs that Porsche put on their buildings? I can understand only about half of what they say.

Nice crisis management from Porsche's PR

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    RC,

+1 for your comments above.

Quote:
    Could somebody translate or paraphrase the signs that Porsche put on their buildings? I can understand only about half of what they say.

Ditto!

translation,

made it!
    Greenpeace demonstrates at Porsche.
    Now we are here.
    Welcome!

good to know.
    porsche contributes less than 0.1% of CO2 emissions to the traffic. Porsche has the smalled CO2 emission per horsepower. Porsche will lower CO2 emissions by 20% before 2012. porsche will release a hybrid engine using less than 9L on 100km

dear Greenpeace friends:
    Porsche is better then you think.
    but then again:
    David was also underestimated.

Porsche obviously monitors the "homegrown" activists. Their arrival certainly wasn't a surprise. The PR department should be commended for their response.

Quote:
    RC said:
    A little FACT about the boss of Greenpeace Germany: she is almost 60 years old, she owns an old(!) VW Golf which (of course ) she uses very seldom. As far as I know she isn't married and she has no kids.
    Sorry to say that but I think that somebody who puts a couple of kids into this world, gives them a proper education and moral values, is worth ten times more than people who always worry about our planet, other people, etc. but never actually did something REALLY valuable for our society. I always have to laugh when somebody like this woman tells people about saving the future for our children. What kind of example is she? I'd rather save my kids from people like her, seriously.

Again, don't get me wrong: Greenpeace is important and there are also people who don't have aggressive and unreasonable approaches towards the industry and others. Look however to certain environmental/animal protection groups, I bet that in 100 years, when (hopefully) islamic terrorism will be gone, we'll get a new form of terrorism, commited by extremist environmental/animal protection activists. Humans NEVER seem to learn from the past.

Better to bury our heads in the sand?

BTW because she may not be married or have children what does that have to do with the legitimcy of her cause.

Nick, I think RC is alluding to the fact that since she has no children, that her personal transport needs are less than if she had a spouse and 3 children, and that likely diimpacts her views on the subject.

If she had 3 young kids and a need for reliable modern safe transport for them her views might be different.

If she took a car trip with 3 young kids in her Golf one way and took a Cayenne coming back, Im sure her views would change.

Well done porsche!

Porsche have their answers ready for theses type of activists.

They know exactly how to deal with them...

The pics say it all

Interesting news

News: Cayenne definately to get a hybrid engine before the end of this decade.
    Panamera scheduled to hit the market in 2009.
    Panamera will also be available with hybrid engine.
    Read it all in this press release:

Porsche Welcomes Greenpeace "Climate Pigs" with its Own Posters

Stuttgart. For the first time in the history of the company now going back almost 60 years, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart received a visit today from Greenpeace. The company took the opportunity to welcome the environmental organisation with a big poster proudly stating "Done It! Greenpeace Demonstration at Porsche. Now We Have Really Made It!" rolled out at the entrance to Porsche's Home Plant in Zuffenhausen as a particularly warm sign of appreciation.

Greenpeace accused the company of building cars they claimed to be "climate pigs". Porsche vehemently rejected this accusation and informed the activists that less than 12 per cent of all exhaust emissions in Germany come from passenger cars, with Porsche's share therein being less than one-tenth of 1 per cent. Power stations alone, for example, account for 43 per cent, industry accounts for 16 per cent, and private households 14 per cent. Porsche presented its counter-arguments on a second large poster bearing the headline "Good to Know" followed by impressive facts and figures:

"Porsche's contribution to CO2 emissions in traffic less than 0.1 per cent. "
    "Porsche has the lowest CO2 emissions per horsepower."
    "Porsche will reduce CO2 emissions by more than 20 per cent by the year 2012."
    "Porsche is introducing the hybrid engine: less than 9 litres fuel consumption on 100 km."

To refer to Porsche as a "climate pig", given these facts, is not only inappropriate, but also malicious and a clear sign of bad intent. All the more so as Porsche has emphasised time and again that the CO2 emissions of all Porsche cars are reduced by 1.7 per cent each year. This is an improvement only few other manufacturers are able to match. A further point is that Porsche sports cars are already able today to run on up to 10 per cent bio-fuel (ethanol), ensuring a further improvement of the CO2 balance amounting to the same figure. And the new Cayenne is even able to run on up to 25 per cent ethanol.

A further significant point is that by the end of this decade Porsche will be offering a hybrid version of the Cayenne. And the objective in this case, in terms of fuel consumption, is to have an "8" before the decimal point - that is less than 9.0 litres fuel consumption on 100 kilometres - or better than 31.4 mpg imp. Porsche's fourth model series, finally, the Panamera Gran Turismo scheduled to enter the market in 2009, will likewise be available with a hybrid power unit.

Porsche also told the Greenpeace activists that they build premium class cars offering technical features, motoring comfort and safety of the very highest standard, making it impossible to compare a Porsche with a small compact car. Precisely for this reason, the Stuttgart manufacturer is opposed to a common CO2 limit applicable to the car fleets of all car makers in general. Instead, Porsche advocates CO2 emission standards oriented towards individual market segments or categories of cars - with such standards by all means being ambitious and demanding.

Concluding the demonstration, Porsche could not resist the temptation to unroll a third large poster stating: "Dear Friends from Greenpeace: Porsche is Better than You Think. But the Good News is that David taking on Goliath was Underestimated, too . . .".

Re: Interesting news

They should have handed out free t-shirts...

PS, I love how porsche uses all this fuss to bring their environmental mindset to the greater public... Some clever marketing over there... but that's also the problem with the cars; they perform good, but the marketing performs excellent, resulting in overmarketed cars, e.g. Carrera 3.6 vs Carrera 3.8
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    ... marketing performs excellent, resulting in overmarketed cars, e.g. Carrera 3.6 vs Carrera 3.8 -Joost-

What does that mean ?!

It means that I don't understand why it was necessary to introduce 2 models (997 Carrera and Carrera S) at one time. One with 2 exhausts, one with quad exhausts, etc. What's wrong with a normal Carrera? So, the enigineers perform nice, but the marketing department rules the company.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    It means that I don't understand why it was necessary to introduce 2 models (997 Carrera and Carrera S) at one time. One with 2 exhausts, one with quad exhausts, etc. What's wrong with a normal Carrera? So, the enigineers perform nice, but the marketing department rules the company.
    -Joost-

What is/was not clear with the Carrera and Carrera S introduction?

The 997 Carrera S is the real successor to the 996 base model. However, Porsche was kind enough to still offer an entry 911 in form of the 997 Carrera with limited power and price increase.

At the same time they could establish a price increase for the new model with the increased power.
    Great idea in my opinion.

What would have been your preference?
    Only the 997S with the 3.8 engine with significant price increase?
    Or only the 997 with the 3.6 engine with almost no power increase for the same old price?

Don't tell that you wanted the 3.8 engine for the same price as the old car....

yah

Only the 3.8, call it the 997 Carrera, and increase the price just the same as when we went from 993 to 996.
    But I think you'll understand my point of porsche being marketing-driven. I don't say they should not market their goods, but I think things are a bit out of proportian in Stuttgart.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    But I think you'll understand my point of porsche being marketing-driven. -Joost-

All vendors must be market-driven if they want to last for any length of time.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Nice crisis management from Porsche's PR

It is absolutely excellent isn't it! Tumbs up!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    All vendors must be market-driven if they want to last for any length of time.

You're probably right.
    But what does "to market" mean? IMO, it literally means "to create a market", which implies that there was no markte before. So, you try to convince people that they buy something from you, which they did not need before. For a company, that is their #1 drive. But somewhere in the back of my mind is a voice telling me that it is not really right. Don't want to further hi-jack this thread with that, but it would make for a nice discussion in the off-topic section.
    -Joost-

A picture of the Cayenne Greenpeace place it in front of Porsche Factory

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pic but is has already been posted a while ago in the Cayenne thread ....

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the pic but is has already been posted a while ago in the Cayenne thread ....

Aye..... you catch me that I don't read that much the cayenne forum!!!!! kidding, I didn't remembered of seeing it.... another repost....

The person in the foreground seems to somehow match the pink car

Ping Pig Porsche? It was done before - Porsche 917/20 "Pink Pig", in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen Museum:

More on the car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_917

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763655 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436057 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257807 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874716 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808406 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM