Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3 or Turbo?

If you had the choice between the GT3 and Turbo as a street car, which way would you go? Nearly all reports on the GT3 have been glowing, while reviews of the of the Turbo have been mixed.

So is the Turbo still the best for the street? Or is the 997 GT3 just as capable? And maybe more fun?

Re: GT3 or Turbo?

Check the sales numbers. People vote with their purchases.

The Turbo is better in bad weather or slippery conditions, and in a straight line; otherwise the GT3 is much more engaging and fun to drive.

The trade off for a slightly firmer ride and a lower ride height is lots more fun, even at lower speeds. TT is nice though if bad weather or four seasons is necessary. Me, I bought the GT3. Got a Audi A8 for the bad stuff.

Both are excellent cars, but not sure if depreciation is a concern for you. If the 997TT is to follow the 996TT depreciation curve, then it may become a significant factor depending on how long you will keep the car.

So the 996 Turbo did depreciate significantly?

What about resale of the GT3? The 996 GT3s seem to be selling in the $80s now, when they were, optioned out, what $110-120 new?

Both excellent cars. No wrong choice here

If you want a track car or a track car for the street you can have more fun w/ a mid ship engine mounted 8 cyl Ferrari. For the street go w/ the power & comfort of the Turbo.

i would still vote for the TT being the best street car between GT3...

TT for sure. luxobargeracer.

I was just offered a new GT3

would have traded in my turbo for it. I passed. I use my turbo for street driving and it is far better suited to that than the GT3 (for someone my age with my slightly creaky back and knees). The GT3's clutch effort is significantly higher than the turbos, the seating is lower, and that flying white taco on the back is way over the top.

Depends on your need - but this was a gorgeous white GT3 with white wheels and lots of carbon, white paint and deviated stitching inside.

I now really believe the old adage: for the track- GT3; for the street - turbo.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    If you want a track car or a track car for the street you can have more fun w/ a mid ship engine mounted 8 cyl Ferrari. For the street go w/ the power & comfort of the Turbo.

Where he lives he can get a GT3 AND a TT for the price of a recent 8 cyl Ferrari...

Can anyone comment on the driver feedback from the turbo compared to the GT3. I've heard the steering and road feel on the turbo is not as crisp and rewarding as the GT3.

Is the ride significantly better in the turbo - by better I mean softer? And is the ride height significantly higher, to cause less hassles getting in and out of driveways, etc.?

Thanks,

Coming from the NA 997, I went with the Turbo. One thing that I felt not adequate for me in the NA 997 was low end torque. In this aspect, the GT3 is barely an improvement, if at all. Since I was young, I've had this idea that once in my life I MUST have a taste of 911 turbo power. So for me it's power and torque over handling.

Second and less important reason: I can't stand the GT3 wing. It is very awkward looking to me (purely a matter of taste). Despite of the Turbo's busy styling, I still prefer it over the GT3's.

As far as the reviews, most, in fact more like ALL, of the negative Turbo reviews have tested it in an environment that it was definitely **NOT** designed for, not primarily anyway: the track. In these brief drives against the GT3 and other track monsters,the Turbo will lose every time. It's long term usage (where the stiff ride and lack of noise isolation are not for everyone) and daily driving characters that a reader must consider/judge on his own initiative.

But... it was a TOUGH decision. The GT3 gets uniformly great reviews, especially for the track. My next Porsche might be one. But by then I might have become addicted to the awesome turbo power.

Quote:
    chipper said:
    If you had the choice between the GT3 and Turbo as a street car, which way would you go? Nearly all reports on the GT3 have been glowing, while reviews of the of the Turbo have been mixed.

So is the Turbo still the best for the street? Or is the 997 GT3 just as capable? And maybe more fun?

GT3 is an awsome car but I ended up getting the TT for these reasons: The clutch on the Gt3 for daily driving is too stiff, the spolier is ugly and I don't track my personal car. Not to mention the TT is faster

This is a very common dillema as the two are priced so similarly.

The biggest thing to consider is how and when you are using the car, both can serve as a track car, but the Turbo is a MUCH better GT/long distance/daily driver.

If the car is for weekend fun, the GT3 will be superior in terms of handling, feedback, etc.

But on longer journeys and when a little more subtlety than the large wing can deliver is in order, the turbo trumps it for usability.

4WD on the turbo is also a huge selling point, in the rain it is amazing!!!

Drive both, match it against when/where you will be using the car most, and you will know.

Re: I was just offered a new GT3

Anyone own both here? That would be the best person to hear from and get a comparison? I went from a 997S to a TT but I never got a chance to test drive a GT3. If its more like the 997S (I beleive this to be the case) then its much more direct and precise in the steering dept. Most of this is due to the AWD setup on the car vs RWD on the GT3/997S. I like everything about the turbo, the comfort, the torque, the luxury, the looks, etc EXCEPT for one thing........I am not crazy about the lack of a direct feel in the steering/suspension setup. You can't have it all but if you want the best or closest thing to it and need a daily driver (or weekly driver) the Turbo is my choice. The turbo is also easier to modify and in time the suspension on my car will be tuned more to my personal taste.

Re: I was just offered a new GT3

gt3 is the purer sports car. turbo is the daily beast.

Easy in my opinion, get the GT2......

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Easy in my opinion, get the GT2......

Was about to say that

Seriously though I'd take a GT3 no doubt... It's plain and simple the more engaging and fun car to drive, thats why we (well most of us, excluding Nick ) buy sports cars, isnt it

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    GT3 is an awsome car but I ended up getting the TT for these reasons: The clutch on the Gt3 for daily driving is too stiff, the spolier is ugly and I don't track my personal car. Not to mention the TT is faster

Agreed,i found the clutch too heavy for daily use..hit traffic and your left leg is aching pretty quickly,the turbo is the better road car..but if you want to track the car the gt3 is the way to go.

If you don't go on track with your GT3, I would go for the Turbo. It es better "allrounder" also.

Greetings

I've owned both at the same time for a long time. my thoughts are expressed in my post above.

gt3 a bit too flashy for daily use, but better at the track, if you don't do more than a handful of trackdays a year the turbo is a better car for driving around.

I've got both, 1k miles on the GT3 and 6k miles on the TT. The TT is tuned now (~550hp).

+GT3:
    1)steering feel more precise
    2)less float on rear end - very, very stable
    3)clutch much heavier and more feel on take-up
    4)aesthetics better to my eye

-GT3:
    1)much less power, needs to be over 5500rpm to get stirred
    2)less ground clearance
    3)stiffer suspension means more jarring ride on streets

+TT:
    1)much easier to drive in traffic
    2)huge power advantage. Makes the GT3 feel really slow
    3)back seats for kids/small guests
    4)more sound insulation

-TT:
    1)more floaty in corners
    2)weight penalty
    3)less viscerally engaging when stock

Both great cars. I prefer the TT without question. The performance and usability envelope of the TT is much broader, as are the potential to upgrade to supercar levels. The GT3 is at its peak and cannot go any higher.

Good post.

modability is also a huge plus for the turbo, not too many things out there yet for the 997, but judging from what was available for the 996...

Quote:
    eclou said:
    I've got both Both great cars. I prefer the TT without question. The performance and usability envelope of the TT is much broader, as are the potential to upgrade to supercar levels. The GT3 is at its peak and cannot go any higher.

Very helpful! Thanks . . .

My uses:

1. Once a month PCA club events -- cruises, car shows, etc. (little or no track)

2. Drive to work 2-4 days per week. 35-mile round trip with sometimes heavy traffic, mountains, rain, etc.

3. Weekend out to dinner with the wife.

4. Pure enjoyment. Pleasure of its beauty, detailing it, etc.

Road "feel" of the car is important to me. I'm a little concerned about the noted lack of steering and road feel of the Turbo. If it drives like a Mercedes at slow speeds, then I might be disappointed. I like the Cayman and Boxster (although both are too small inside for me) precisely because of their excellent road feedback. Better than my 997. If the Turbo has less feel, less involvement than the base 997, that's a concern.

On the other hand, sometimes I like a quiet, easy drive with the Bose on. And when I take my wife out, I (and she) wants comfort and luxury, not jarring and noise.

Thus, I think I would enjoy the envolvement of the GT3, but maybe not its labor-intensiveness at times when I just need to get to work ... I would like the Turbo's comfort and luxury and quiet, but maybe feel underwhelmed by its road feel. And ask myself, why have a Porsche if it doesn't feel like a sports car?

Chipper,

it does feel like a sportscar, and nothing like a Mercedes. Remember the comparison is vs the best factory handling car in existence(GT3) as almost unanimously judged by all the journalists and enthusiasts. The TT is far more communicative than my previous 00 996 cab. If you want more feel, just leave the PASM in sport

My wife tracks my 997TT, and loves driving it to get groceries every now and then. She won't drive the GT3 unless it is a direct freeway shot.

i sold my 997tt with 900 miles. the car is just pointless: too heavy and lux for a sports car, and too cramped for a luxury car, and i find it unattractive.

the gt3 is a quality sports car, and great on the track. the gears are still too high and while the seats are better, you still need to replace them. the LWFW helps a lot, and a lower R&P. for daily banging around, going to work and track and can be parked anywhere, the gt3 is great.

for timeless beauty and sporting soul, the strad is much better in my view

I actually find the GT3/RS to be far more pointless than the TT. It is a single purpose vehicle that is far inferior to a dedicated track car/cars that can be built at a mere fraction of the cost. People are hyping up the 3 and especially the RS which in US trim is a just a GT3 with a wig on. At >$100k USD you could buy a dialed-in 996GT3, trailer, and a tow rig and be as fast if not faster than a 997GT3.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM