Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Dealer called yesterday, needs my TT Cab optio

Well, that post probably doesn't make much sense. LoL!! I guess as long as I know what I mean. LoL!!

Remember, the "A pillar in leather" has nothing to do with the actual A Pillar.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Well, that post probably doesn't make much sense. LoL!! I guess as long as I know what I mean. LoL!!

It makes sense to me! It's going to be a great tt cab!

Dan

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

From what I remember it's the end of the dashboard, the part you see when you open the door, around the key plate, and the mirror controls & piece that the mirror controls sit on. Yes?

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

It makes sense to me! It's going to be a great tt cab!

Dan

Thanks Dan! Not as unique as your car but I think I'm going to be really happy w/ the way it comes out.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

me.
    From what I remember it's the end of the dashboard, the part you see when you open the door, around the key plate, and the mirror controls & piece that the mirror controls sit on. Yes?

YES - Why it's called A pillar in leather is a mystery to me but I also am ordering it.

I believe that a-pillar also includes wrapping the outside edge of the side vent you see when door is open.

Beyond that, it's a helluva turbo you've got spec'd out. I'd delete the CDC and just get our Dension unit for iPod instead.

Nice one!

I just recently took delivery of my TT and had the Dension unit installed. It doesn't work, because the head in the PCM has apparently been changed by Porsche without Dension's knowledge. I'm told Dension is working on its' software to correct the problem. We have at least 3 new cars in the Seattle area experiencing this problem.

Are you aware of this?

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    Don't worry about the crappy volcano gray on the steering wheel - we can make that disappear. Been doing a lot of GT3's like that for the past few months. Same for the front center pcm faceplates.

But if you don't want to paint the steering wheel and the PCM face plate, I wouldn't have leather on instrument surround. All those pieces have the "crappy" volcano grey paint.

I don't think I saw any comment on your selection of a thicker steering wheel. The fact is that it isn't much thicker than the standard wheel. You might be happier getting the standard wheel and trading it in on a Techart "fat boy". You can get it with a CF accent, which would certainly go with your other CF pieces. (Check with Atomic80 he has a CF Techart "fat boy" wheel.) I really like mine. I also agree with others about bagging the CD changer. I would also think a leather covered mirror would look (match) the visors and A pillar, and complete the "look" in that area. BTW, if you listen to AM radio very much, check out my post on "Radio".

I believe that Larry is referring to my steering wheel.

I ordered it from TechArt, type 1, natural grey, carbon fiber trim, OEM grey stitching and NO TechArt logo. I'd be VERY explicit about those instructions when making the order. I absolutely love the way it turned out.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

me.

YES - Why it's called A pillar in leather is a mystery to me but I also am ordering it.

It is a weird name for that option. Has a good look though.

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    I believe that a-pillar also includes wrapping the outside edge of the side vent you see when door is open.

Not sure. What if the vent is Carbon Fiber like what I'm ordering? Is this only for leather wrapped vents?

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I don't think I saw any comment on your selection of a thicker steering wheel. The fact is that it isn't much thicker than the standard wheel. You might be happier getting the standard wheel and trading it in on a Techart "fat boy". You can get it with a CF accent, which would certainly go with your other CF pieces. (Check with Atomic80 he has a CF Techart "fat boy" wheel.) I really like mine. I also agree with others about bagging the CD changer. I would also think a leather covered mirror would look (match) the visors and A pillar, and complete the "look" in that area. BTW, if you listen to AM radio very much, check out my post on "Radio".

It's there:
    >>XPA - Thicker Steering Wheel- Leather - $310 <<

The one Atomic got from TechArt is awesome! Love the way that looks & you're right w/ the CF I'm ordering it would be perfect. I'm probably going to look into that but for the time being I'm going to leave the XPA, I have it in my 997 S Cab along w/ the adaptive sport seats, Sports Exhaust & sport chrono it's my favorite option in the car. If I remember XPA was twice the price in my S Cab.

I bagged the changer.......Agree/ kept the leather covered mirror, the leather visors and leather A pillar. Also kept the leather steering column. Since the key lock surround & mirror controld/attachmant plate will be leather I think the steering colum will look good in leather w/ the nice stitch.. Thanks OTH!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I believe that Larry is referring to my steering wheel.

I ordered it from TechArt, type 1, natural grey, carbon fiber trim, OEM grey stitching and NO TechArt logo. I'd be VERY explicit about those instructions when making the order. I absolutely love the way it turned out.

Love it!
    So how does the exchange w/ TechArt work? Do you have to send your original wheel to them etc.?

I almost forgot, there are two types of finishes for the CF trim, either "matte" or "shiny." Of course you'd want to get the "shiny" finish! It matches the finishes on the rest of the CF trim from Porsche.

It's actually quite easy getting the Techart wheel, just takes time. Contact Mark at cecwheels.com to find a local Techart reseller in your area to order one for you. Pay them a deposit and then the wheel is made which takes about a month or so. I'd do this about two months prior to taking delivery of the car ideally. After you get the car, take it to the Techart reseller and they'd swap the wheels out, sending the stock wheel back to Techart while you keep the new version. If you choose to keep the stock wheel then there's a $600 core charge for that. So, no, you don't send your original wheel to them. It's essentially a swap.

I actually ordered "XPA" prior to knowing about the Techart version so that was "wasted" but a local Turbo owner benefitted from that because the shop put that in his car and sent his back to Techart.

And yes, one of these CF options entails replacing the outermost vent openings with a CF version. I believe that option EAD - Carbon Fiber Switch Panel includes that. I also really encourage you to reconsider getting the CF lighted door sill because it really does look good when opening the door. It's another one of my favorite options.

Stradale,

Congrats on a spectacular car.

I assume you've decided against Park Assist? I didn't have it on my 997 but will have ordered one for the Turbo. The Turbo's front lip is so low that I think I will have to *back* the car into most parking spots, lest the front lip hits those wheel-stopper cement blocks. I think the distance alert will be helpful, especially if you'd like to back the car in as far as possible so people don't hit the other end.

I know those buttons are distracting but if you don't look for them, they are fairly inconspicuous.

Over The Hill: We have the Dension working in quite a few 07 Turbos without a hitch. The programming is the key. You need to have the dealer set up the front pcm unit as if he added a cd changer, and be sure the unit is getting UNswitched grounded power. The past few we had calls on were where the dealer goofed and never 'read' the system correctly to assign a cd changer to the fiber optic loop, and that was all that was needed.

Email me anytime with issues. We can set up a ticket for Dension engineering to attempt to resolve any problems. But no, there is no change on the pcm that would affect the Dension functionality.

Stradale, if you do the CF vents, then no, no leather there.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Stradale,

Congrats on a spectacular car.

I assume you've decided against Park Assist? I didn't have it on my 997 but will have ordered one for the Turbo. The Turbo's front lip is so low that I think I will have to *back* the car into most parking spots, lest the front lip hits those wheel-stopper cement blocks. I think the distance alert will be helpful, especially if you'd like to back the car in as far as possible so people don't hit the other end.

I know those buttons are distracting but if you don't look for them, they are fairly inconspicuous.

Thanks but they're not for me.

Thanks for that comment too, the car should be a lot of fun.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I almost forgot, there are two types of finishes for the CF trim, either "matte" or "shiny." Of course you'd want to get the "shiny" finish! It matches the finishes on the rest of the CF trim from Porsche.

It's actually quite easy getting the Techart wheel, just takes time. Contact Mark at cecwheels.com to find a local Techart reseller in your area to order one for you. Pay them a deposit and then the wheel is made which takes about a month or so. I'd do this about two months prior to taking delivery of the car ideally. After you get the car, take it to the Techart reseller and they'd swap the wheels out, sending the stock wheel back to Techart while you keep the new version. If you choose to keep the stock wheel then there's a $600 core charge for that. So, no, you don't send your original wheel to them. It's essentially a swap.

I actually ordered "XPA" prior to knowing about the Techart version so that was "wasted" but a local Turbo owner benefitted from that because the shop put that in his car and sent his back to Techart.

And yes, one of these CF options entails replacing the outermost vent openings with a CF version. I believe that option EAD - Carbon Fiber Switch Panel includes that. I also really encourage you to reconsider getting the CF lighted door sill because it really does look good when opening the door. It's another one of my favorite options.

Great info. Thanks. I've purchased TechArt stuff from CEC before & they're good to deal w/.

The reason I was asking about the Carbon Fiber on the vents is because another poster said you get leather on the vents w/ the A-pillar option but I don't think that's correct because w/ the Carbon Fiber vents EAD (you're correct) the vents are Carbon Fiber. I have EAD in the list. Basically the only Carbon Fiber option I didn't go w/ is the CF steering wheel and that's because I like the XPA wheel I have now in my 997 S Cab.

Hmmmm.. Is there a Carbon Fiber wheel like the XPA (the thicker wheel) w/ Carbon Fiber (besides TechArts of course).. I don't like the multi-funcion wheel.

My question is - Is there an option for the round air bag steering wheel w/ Carbon Fiber?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Great info. Thanks. I've purchased TechArt stuff from CEC before & they're good to deal w/.

The reason I was asking about the Carbon Fiber on the vents is because another poster said you get leather on the vents w/ the A-pillar option but I don't think that's correct because w/ the Carbon Fiber vents EAD (you're correct) the vents are Carbon Fiber. I have EAD in the list. Basically the only Carbon Fiber option I didn't go w/ is the CF steering wheel and that's because I like the XPA wheel I have now in my 997 S Cab.

Hmmmm.. Is there a Carbon Fiber wheel like the XPA (the thicker wheel) w/ Carbon Fiber (besides TechArts of course).. I don't like the multi-funcion wheel.

My question is - Is there an option for the round air bag steering wheel w/ Carbon Fiber?

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=91915&VCD=36...y=&CarYear=
    and
    http://evoms.com/marketplace/ViewProduct...D87F5EAAD604%7D
    I like the Tech Art better but just to show other choices.

My post about a-pillar leather option is written from the Porsche order guide that includes the vent in leather. That is superseded by carbon, obviously.

Quote:
    Eric (Plug Guy) said:
    My post about a-pillar leather option is written from the Porsche order guide that includes the vent in leather. That is superseded by carbon, obviously.

My understanding is:

From the order guide I have (see the drawing in the copy attached) - no mention of vents in leather with the "Interior Package A Pillar Leather."

DAA Interior Pkg A Pillar Leather
    Leather finish in interior color including
    decorative stitching where appropriate:
    switch panel end trim (2.1b), ignition lock
    surround (2.7a), mirror attachment point
    finishers including mirror controls and base
    plate (3.0b)

Also if doing EAD (Carbon Package Switch Panel) then the narrow band that surrounds the slats is carbon fiber, but the slats themselves are leather.

From the order guide:
    EAD Carbon Package Switch Panel
    Carbon Fiber finish:side air vents(2.5a),
    central air vent (2.6a). Leather finish in
    interior color:side air vent slats (2.5b),
    central air vent slats incl. switch trim (2.6b)
    Loudspeaker finisher on switch panel (center
    2.8b), defroster trim (2.4a) incl. inlay in
    carbon fiber.

Re: Dealer called yesterday, needs my TT Cab options

Thinking of giving up a September TT Cab (first customer spec.) build spot...

Another dealer is offering $5000 more for my trade (997 S cab). The dealer offering me $5k more has a November build but it doesn't make sense for me to take delivery in December or January. I don't drive my cars in the snow and you can't use a convertible here in NY in January/February. So I'm thinking of telling him I want a January build for early March delivery. For me I'd rather take delivery early March just before the weather starts to get nice in NY. Basically I hate taking delivery of sports cars in the winter.

What would you do? Take delivery in October/November right before winter or take $5k more for your trade and take delivery just before Spring? I have to decide by tomorrow am.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. $5000 more for your trade, don't have to waste several months of warranty time, while the car sits in the garage waiting for warm weather, and best of all you'll have more time to fuss over your order. So my vote is to delay.

Take the $5k and have a great reason to celebrate the Spring of 2008!

AE - Added the Alum footrest, thanks.

Thanks OTH & Alin2, that's what I did today.

I gave up being first w/ a customer spec turbo cab but for me delivery just before Spring works out to be much more fun than taking delivery & having the car sit for the NY winter.... So it's a done deal should take delivery at the End of February/Beginning of March! Now the wait!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803255 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448585 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90079 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6608 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885734 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833318 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM