Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Sports Exhaust is coming!!!

Had a very interesting presentation today from Porsche GB from a guy that actually works with Porsche AG on product development.

One interesting thing was that he said a new Turbo Sports Exhaust is currently being worked on, and better still would be retro-fittable.

He didn't say when, but I would guess early next calendar year! Yipeeeee......

Other interesting things included; a hybrid engine is being developed right now with VW, for the Panamera, with performance figures around those of the 911 Carreras with fuel economy in the mid-30s MPG! Oh and production of the GT3 and GT3RS was not stopping this year, just availability is getting harder.

Would have picked up more but I had to dash off early, which was real shame.

Re: Porsche Sports Exhaust is coming!!!

This is great news! One more reason to buy the 997TT.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    One interesting thing was that he said a new Turbo Sports Exhaust is currently being worked on, and better still would be retro-fittable.

Great news! Thanks!

would be interesting to see what this one brings to the table compared with the existing aftermarket ones from the likes of Cargraphics, Fabspeed and AWE etc.

This is great news. I anxiously await the first reports on how this sounds. Otherwise, I'm waiting to see what Ruf does with both the exhaust and suspension.

FURTHERMORE: was told today that target release for the retrofittable sports exhaust is April 2008, and yes it will be made of Titanium like the one on the GT2!!!

Cannot wait!!!!!!

Awesome news....Only thing better than this news regarding the Sport Exhaust and how good it will probably sound on the Turbo is that.......

It will also fit the Turbo Cabriolet!

great news Alex!

excellent news i'll wait instead of going aftermarket.

I will now wait as well. Was thinking about Cargraphic.

as more alternatives for the tt become available i am reminded of rc's suggestion when the car first became available ...wait one year before deciding on a mod campaign as the more alternatives the better decisions you will ultimately make....im particularily interested in the exhaust because frankly imo none of those available to date have the viseral appeal of say..the gallardo, well see...titanium $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$for sure

Finally great news!!!

Rich

The Cargraphic is a great system, fit and finish as good as the Techart which is twice the price. There was a noticeable resonance in the mid 2000 rpm range that was gone after 1000 miles. No CEL and the car runs so much better.
    Great value, my bet is the Porsche will be twice the price and more if Ti.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    FURTHERMORE: was told today that target release for the retrofittable sports exhaust is April 2008, and yes it will be made of Titanium like the one on the GT2!!!

Cannot wait!!!!!!

While you're asking, ask for:

1) a separate switch controlling the sport exhaust (independent from the sport chrono switch)
    2) an easy way to bypass the possible cutoff so as not to make the switch unusable
    3) what does it look like?. I.e., will it have dual pipes on each side? Or will it look like the GT2?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    3) what does it look like?. I.e., will it have dual pipes on each side? Or will it look like the GT2?

I am hoping it will look like the new GT2 one:

Titanium? That's going to be very pricey.

I'm not certain that a titanium exhaust system makes a lot of sense. Titanium fractures a lot easier than the stainless steels Porsche presently is using.

Ti is used more for it's weight saving benefits, it's probably weight 1/3 less than the steel counter part.
    But then again the current crop of steel aftermarket exhausts aready weight 1/3 less than stock.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I'm not certain that a titanium exhaust system makes a lot of sense. Titanium fractures a lot easier than the stainless steels Porsche presently is using.

It depends on the manufacturing process which needs to be VERY PRECISE. If done properly, titanium doesn't fracture easier than stainless steel, on the contrary but offers the advantage of supporting much higher temperatures and offering less weight at the same time.

My guess is that Porsche used titanium because of the higher exhaust temperatures caused by the "larger" VTG chargers. This also means that Tuners will have a real challenge modding the GT2 because even a titanium exhaust system can't withstand much higher temperatures.
    I know of a tuned 997 Turbo which caught fire apparently due to brainless tuning (boost pressure too high + extremely high temperature outside + car very low = reduced cooling). Apparently some tuners still don't understand that the VTG chargers are different and require special attention.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

It depends on the manufacturing process which needs to be VERY PRECISE. If done properly, titanium doesn't fracture easier than stainless steel, on the contrary but offers the advantage of supporting much higher temperatures and offering less weight at the same time.

My guess is that Porsche used titanium because of the higher exhaust temperatures caused by the "larger" VTG chargers. This also means that Tuners will have a real challenge modding the GT2 because even a titanium exhaust system can't withstand much higher temperatures.
    I know of a tuned 997 Turbo which caught fire apparently due to brainless tuning (boost pressure too high + extremely high temperature outside + car very low = reduced cooling). Apparently some tuners still don't understand that the VTG chargers are different and require special attention.

who was the tuner? I think info like that should be shared with all TT owners.

This is why I think the Champion (Werks) carbon rear diffuser is a bad idea. Trap too much heat

Surely a single round pipe as per GT2 wouldn't look right with the current trim?

Two twins as per the 3rd party manufacturers is so much better than the squashed thing we have as stock IMO.

Alex..any mention of a power kit to go with it ?

Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Alex..any mention of a power kit to go with it ?

I asked this the other day, still awaiting a reply

any idea on cost?

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

Cannot wait!!!!!!

To be honest I'm hoping the Gt2 gets a Sports exhaust

Just got some disappointing insider snippet of info.

Can't say too much but just wanted to hint that those waiting for a Porsche Sports Exhaust to come out may have to wait a LOT longer than previously expected, and as such should probably look at 3rd party options like I am going to do now.

Sorry

That sucks!

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Maybe we can ask C5 Z06 owners how their exhaust systems have been fairing.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Just got some disappointing insider snippet of info.

Can't say too much but just wanted to hint that those waiting for a Porsche Sports Exhaust to come out may have to wait a LOT longer than previously expected, and as such should probably look at 3rd party options like I am going to do now.

Sorry

If profit-focused P can't engineer a ?$5K optional PSE for 997TT, even 18mos++ post-997TT launch, why would an aftermkt quack be able to engineer a competent sports exhaust????

As laughable as is P R&D with its inability to solve turbo lag; come up w/an always-delayed PDK 1.0; and develop a PSE option, I'd bet on P R&D (and profit fixation) over any aftermkt shop....

Interesting that F R&D was able to essentially disintermediate Tubi (a needed option on the overly meek 575)....and developed excellent, factory-spec exhaust note for 599....

Suspect most of the competent P R&D engineers have retired/left.....so we have marketing/general mgmt guys extracting maximal cash flow from archaic tech, w/obviously limited R&D spending/productivity....

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM