Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: agree with you W211

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Why don't you actually buy a 997TT and live with a for a few thousand miles before lambasting it or you can stick to F-Chat.

I'd miss Nick if he bought a 997TT. He'd be spending all his time on the Ferrari Fora telling the regular members that they were driving the wrong brand of car.

Fritz, you forget that I drive a Porsche. Unfortunately it spends a lot of time in service especially after the warranty expired.

Whoppy, you argument regarding the Ferrari is bogus. It can be a daily driver if one chooses to do so. But the car is an icon and the driving experience is something that needs to be savored not sitting in traffic. Also, most Ferrari owners are refined and understand the appropriate use of a SPORT car.

Honestly, do you have any idea how silly it is for someone to commute to work in a high performance SPORT car, ANY SPORT car? What does it say about an individual driving the most impractical vehicle to work? What flaw do they possess that prompts them to drive a car with almost 500hp with a big whale tail on the back just to sit in traffic.

BTW, my car will be almost three years old and have close to 15,000 miles when I turn it in. I am VERY confident it will sell above MSRP. Your 997TT lost $10,000 driving it out of the showroom. Very sad.

Everyone should go easy on Nick. I think RC once said something to the effect that Nick is a true Porsche fan deep inside; he just needs to be slapped around a couple times once in a while to be reminded of that.

A Mini Cooper?! Oh dear. My friend's daughter drives that!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Why would any reasonable person drive a high performance sport car to work?

Nick, obviously you still don't get the Porsche philosophy: they are meant to be driven and the engineering of the P's is focussed on the best combination of practicality + performance - they are no freaking "exotics"

The Mini Cooper S more fun than your F430 For half the price of your F-car + Mini Cooper S you can get a nicely optioned 911 which provides performance, fun + practicality (all in ONE car)

I have started to rethink my attitude towards sports cars. I want something I can enjoy everyday, instead of just a few days a month. Same way that I spend alot more money on my house than on a vacation home - when you consider the cost vs utilization, it makes more sense to put the $$ where one can enjoy it the most.

Re: "show everyone what a wannabe you can be"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    and this spoken by a guy who drives a yellow Ferrari convertible and trolls Porsche websites.

Nick is a very bitter old man. Nothing to show for his life except his yellow Ferrari. No kids. If he had kids he wouldn't act this way. He has no perspective on life. His life revolves around his yellow Ferrari the way a normal person's life might be devoted to his kids or family. So he trolls Porsche websites. I wouldn't be surprised to find him doing the same on other car sites like for Corvettes.

David

Easy does it!

I'm relatively new to this board but I have to say it can be brutal. Truth be told I joined because I'm trying to decide whether or not to trade up from an '06 C4S to a 997 turbo.

God bless all of you that can afford to own Ferrari's and Lambo's, and still have a CL65 to drive daily. The reason that some of us would drive a 500 HP sports car to work is that it's the only way we could own one. And for the record I love my C4S whether I'm in traffic or on the twisties. Don't get me wrong, being a purist is great but it's a luxury some of us can't afford.

I work hard and drive fast whenever I can. For me a 911 turbo is a dream car. For others it's probably a compromise. No car can be everything to everybody.

With that said I'd take a GT3 RS for the track and a new RS6 or M6 for the daily driver and family.

Nick, it would drive me crazy if I could only enjoy my favorite car on the weekends. Drive your car every day. Change your schedule if traffic is too congested during commute time. Don't drive around 5 days a week in a little wimpy MiniCooper. On the other hand, if the reason you don't drive the Ferrari to work is because you're worried about what your clients might think, then maybe you have a point.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Nick is a very bitter old man. Nothing to show for his life except his yellow Ferrari. No kids. If he had kids he wouldn't act this way.

Hey now, this is just ignorant. Millions of people enjoy full and rewarding lives without ever once feeling the need to spawn. Don't blame Nick's antisocial behavior on that. There's absolutely nothing at all deficient about a life without kids.

Nugget
    Blissfully childfree

Quote:
    nberry said:

Whoppy, you argument regarding the Ferrari is bogus. It can be a daily driver if one chooses to do so. But the car is an icon and the driving experience is something that needs to be savored not sitting in traffic.

I beg to differs, judging by the full service bays and 2 week wait list just to get an service appointment in the local dealership. Tonight on my way home I just saw a 456GT with it's hood up, steam coming out and my guess was either it overheated or a burst radiator.

Quote:
    Also, most Ferrari owners are refined and understand the appropriate use of a SPORT car.

Translation: Most Ferrari owners knows that anything more than 2000 miles a year are pushing the reliability issue and they would much rather drive something more reliable daily, in case they get stranded on the road side, kinda embarrassing in a broken down Ferrari in broad daylight.

Quote:

Honestly, do you have any idea how silly it is for someone to commute to work in a high performance SPORT car, ANY SPORT car? What does it say about an individual driving the most impractical vehicle to work? What flaw do they possess that prompts them to drive a car with almost 500hp with a big whale tail on the back just to sit in traffic.

With 2 500+hp AMGs in my garage, the TT has the least HP and hence the most sensible car, at least in my case. Using your logic. I would never imagine you are gonna say a 500HP SUV is practical nor a 500HP sedan.

Quote:

BTW, my car will be almost three years old and have close to 15,000 miles when I turn it in. I am VERY confident it will sell above MSRP. Your 997TT lost $10,000 driving it out of the showroom. Very sad.

Turning it in? So your 430 was a lease? What is your replacement? A Gallardo?

On the contrary, since my TT was one of the first ones delivered here, the day I drove it out of the showroom it appreciated by $30,000. I was offered that much over what I paid for my car. I turned it down because if I let this one go I won't be able to have another TT for 4 months. $30k is not nearly enough to make me wait an extra 4 months.

Anyway, how's the reliability on your 430? You are the only person I know who has a Ferrari with over 10k miles.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    A Mini Cooper?! Oh dear. My friend's daughter drives that!

So?...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:
    Why don't you actually buy a 997TT and live with a for a few thousand miles before lambasting it or you can stick to F-Chat.

I'd miss Nick if he bought a 997TT. He'd be spending all his time on the Ferrari Fora telling the regular members that they were driving the wrong brand of car.

Fritz, you forget that I drive a Porsche. Unfortunately it spends a lot of time in service especially after the warranty expired.

Ferdinand's Revenge!

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Nick is a very bitter old man. Nothing to show for his life except his yellow Ferrari. No kids. If he had kids he wouldn't act this way.

Hey now, this is just ignorant. Millions of people enjoy full and rewarding lives without ever once feeling the need to spawn. Don't blame Nick's antisocial behavior on that. There's absolutely nothing at all deficient about a life without kids.

Nugget
    Blissfully childfree

I ignore david because he is a gnat that avoids being swatted because I take pity on him. Reading his personal attacks against make me laugh in total glee.

Whoppy, in the US the 997TT would lose about $10,000 leaving the showroom.

BTW I do like Porsche's as sport cars. Excellent value for the performance they deliver though they all look alike. The argument I do accept against my premise regarding sport cars is the one that makes the case based on limited funds.

If someone cannot afford other cars but has the financial resources to buy a Porsche to use for overall transportation, then that is a legitmate point which I will concede.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    tortesq1 said:

Whoppy, you argument regarding the Ferrari is bogus. It can be a daily driver if one chooses to do so. But the car is an icon and the driving experience is something that needs to be savored not sitting in traffic. Also, most Ferrari owners are refined and understand the appropriate use of a SPORT car.

I commute everyday in my 997 S Cab. And although I do get stuck in a lot of traffic there are plenty of other times, mostly when I leave very early to work or work till 7 or 8 at night when I have lots of parkway to open things up a bit. Gotta tell ya one of my favorite times in my 911 is after working all day being able to get it my cab put the top down driving it home when the sun is setting and drive the wheels off the thing. Same thing early am, love a spirited drive to work. If I had to take my suv everyday that would really,really, I mean REALLY suck! Commuting equates to a lot of the miles in my Porsche. That's a big reason for the cabriolet for me too. Besides the great feeling of open air driving during twisties when I am stuck in traffic having the top down on a beautiful day makes the traffic a lot less frustrating. ... Sorry Nick I just dont see your point...You'd rather commute in something other than a sports car??????? Maybe you would but not me.

The F430 is fun to take out when no ones around/on the open road but that's the great thing about a car like the 997 turbo/turbo cab, you can have 430 like performance for times where you can use it but without sweating about sitting there in traffic in your Ferrari. Another thing - I love to enjoy my F430 but I don't get to use it everyday, mostly on the weekends (if it's not raining, lol!) My 911 I can enjoy ALL THE TIME... Don't know why this concept is so difficult for you to grasp. That's one of the reasons WHY the 911 is so great! You CAN do everything in it,,,comfortably, like any other generic car you'd maybe commute to work in but then ALSO have tons of fun when you are places where you can enjoy the power and handling. Personally I really dont understand why people cant see the benefits of BOTH the 430 and the TT. Each is fantastic at the jobs they are meant to handle, for me the jobs are different and I really wouldnt want my 911 to be exactly like my 430 or vice versa ....

Gave you some slack but thats the lat straw. Sorry gotta igg ya. bye.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    The F430 is fun to take out when no ones around/on the open road but that's the great thing about a car like the 997 turbo/turbo cab, you can have 430 like performance for times where you can use it but without sweating about sitting there in traffic in your Ferrari. Another thing - I love to enjoy my F430 but I don't get to use it everyday, mostly on the weekends (if it's not raining, lol!)

Stradale,

I'm curious as to why you feel this way about your F430? Why can't you drive it like you can with your 997TT (i.e., to work.)? Is it because it's more expensive, or that it attracts more attention that it makes you feel uncomfortable? Or maybe it's not as comfortable sitting in traffic? It's probably the same reason why Nick doesn't commute in his F430.

Alan

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    and this spoken by a guy who drives a yellow Ferrari convertible and trolls Porsche websites.

Nick is a very bitter old man. Nothing to show for his life except his yellow Ferrari. No kids. If he had kids he wouldn't act this way. He has no perspective on life. His life revolves around his yellow Ferrari the way a normal person's life might be devoted to his kids or family. So he trolls Porsche websites. I wouldn't be surprised to find him doing the same on other car sites like for Corvettes.

David

David,

why so mean? Nick's comments are directed mainly at the Porsche car or the company. Your comments are always personal attacks on Nick. Some of his comments are just teasing and a lot of us know this. However, your responses are just cruel.

Guys, this is getting out of hand with personal attacks, so lets calm down guys and get this thread back on topic and away from the personal.
    Thank you.

nick,

a porsche might lose $10,000 immediately after driving off the lot, but I did not have to wait two years plus to buy one at MSRP, or pay well above MRSP, or jump through hurdles by purchasing used ones first to become multi ferrari buyer to get the right to buy a new one.

These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, I look forward to every drive in my porsche regardless of commute or open highway. 15,000 miles over 3 years? How about in three years I will have enjoyed almost triple that in my porsche and I bet it will be holding up better than equivalent mileage in your ferrari. And I will have also had triple the enjoyment time in the saddle.

I also think it's funny that the person who is saying that the people who buy porsches because they are cheaper is the one who is harping on the depreciation.

These cars are luxury items to be enjoyed and depreciated. Anyone buying these for investment purposes needs their heads examined.

I understand your position which I held for a very long time. I drove my Porsche's to work years ago with the exact mindset you articulated. However, through time I began to recognize the folly of driving this high performance sport car to work. I found that in those rare moments when I could truly enjoy the car, it was in very truncated moments and the experience a let down. Sort of having to pull out when you not ready.

I agree open air driving to from from work would be refreshing except the traffic air on roads and highways is not something to inhale or enjoy. Maybe it is Southern CA living but it is reality at least here.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    The F430 is fun to take out when no ones around/on the open road but that's the great thing about a car like the 997 turbo/turbo cab, you can have 430 like performance for times where you can use it but without sweating about sitting there in traffic in your Ferrari. Another thing - I love to enjoy my F430 but I don't get to use it everyday, mostly on the weekends (if it's not raining, lol!)

Stradale,

I'm curious as to why you feel this way about your F430? Why can't you drive it like you can with your 997TT (i.e., to work.)? Is it because it's more expensive, or that it attracts more attention that it makes you feel uncomfortable? Or maybe it's not as comfortable sitting in traffic? It's probably the same reason why Nick doesn't commute in his F430.

Alan

For kinda the same reason I don't wear my favorite suit or favorite watch everyday. For me some things are even better when enjoyed during certain times. It's not the money, if I worried about it being more "expensive" I wouldn't have ordered my 430 exactly the way I wanted w/ Racing Seats/CCM's etc. ....Lots of reasons I dont drive my 430 everyday. For 1 I have a better everyday commuting sports car a 911.......I also don't drive it to work because I commute from Long Island NY through Queens & the Bronx up to Westchester. Some of the potholes I hit or have to avoid everyday are much harder in the 430 than the 911. There's clearence issues that I have in some areas & there's the attention I just dont want everyday.. It's some the same reasons why I think the 911 is so good for commuting, I dont believe the 430 is a good everyday commuter car. There's also everyday simple stuff like trying to reverse into parking spots can be difficult. In the 430 there's always someone next to you in your blindspot trying to check out the car. Trying to get around quickly in traffic is a breeze in the 911, in the 430 not so much. I also dont dont drive it to work everyday because I have yet to tell anyone at work that I own a Ferrari. LoL!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I understand your position which I held for a very long time. I drove my Porsche's to work years ago with the exact mindset you articulated. However, through time I began to recognize the folly of driving this high performance sport car to work. I found that in those rare moments when I could truly enjoy the car, it was in very truncated moments and the experience a let down. Sort of having to pull out when you not ready.

I agree open air driving to from from work would be refreshing except the traffic air on roads and highways is not something to inhale or enjoy. Maybe it is Southern CA living but it is reality at least here.

You know what, you're a drag dude. LoL! Aww well, I don't think I'll ever feel that way, hope not. I have A LOT of fun driving everyday. There's times where I'm traveling over the bridges early am or up some of the parkways when there isn't traffic where it feels so good to be driving a great sports car. I feel so connected to the car and what it's doing that if I had to drive my Dodge everyday I'd really miss those feelings. If I get to that point a lot of my enjoyment would be gone. Hope that never happens. Gotta go.

The 997TT is the best car when in a rush having to go from point A to point B, regardless of traffic or weather. I can be that a-hole zipping in and out with total confidence, making full use of the car's traction and torque.

I will take the comfortable sedan if I need to carry out a lengthy conversation on the phone or chat with passengers in the car.

The weekend Starbucks look-at-my-yellow/red/orange/green-toy-cruise, I-feel-like-the-king-of-the-road-envy-me-drive is just not my thingy.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Nick is a very bitter old man. Nothing to show for his life except his yellow Ferrari. No kids. If he had kids he wouldn't act this way. He has no perspective on life. His life revolves around his yellow Ferrari the way a normal person's life might be devoted to his kids or family. So he trolls Porsche websites.

David, no disrespect to you or anyone else here, but this was not a comment you should have made.

Nick, I might make fun of your opinions on Porsches with a little light-hearted ribbing thrown in for general amusement, but I wouldn't for a moment endorse this type of comment. It's below the belt and wantonly hurtful. Enjoy your weekend

Certainly this board would be quite dull if we just sat around repetitively praising Porsche - more of a cult than a discussion!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

For kinda the same reason I don't wear my favorite suit or favorite watch everyday. For me some things are even better when enjoyed during certain times. It's not the money, if I worried about it being more "expensive" I wouldn't have ordered my 430 exactly the way I wanted w/ Racing Seats/CCM's etc. ....Lots of reasons I dont drive my 430 everyday. For 1 I have a better everyday commuting sports car a 911.......I also don't drive it to work because I commute from Long Island NY through Queens & the Bronx up to Westchester. Some of the potholes I hit or have to avoid everyday are much harder in the 430 than the 911. There's clearence issues that I have in some areas & there's the attention I just dont want everyday.. It's some the same reasons why I think the 911 is so good for commuting, I dont believe the 430 is a good everyday commuter car. There's also everyday simple stuff like trying to reverse into parking spots can be difficult. In the 430 there's always someone next to you in your blindspot trying to check out the car. Trying to get around quickly in traffic is a breeze in the 911, in the 430 not so much. I also dont dont drive it to work everyday because I have yet to tell anyone at work that I own a Ferrari. LoL!

I guess this echos my opinion that the 430 is not designed to be driven everyday like the 911 is. Call it the tuxedo of cars and a 911 is like the Armani suits.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I guess this echos my opinion that the 430 is not designed to be driven everyday like the 911 is. Call it the tuxedo of cars and a 911 is like the Armani suits.

No, Porsche's are the brown shoes.

The 430 is designed for everyday use. The past reputation of the car was well founded. Today it is totally the opposite. It is reliable and reasonably economical to drive. I have had mine since Dec 2005 and almost 10,000 miles. Total maintenance cost $1100.

Ferrari's are very unique and special. They do attract a lot of attention and could send the wrong message to customers/clients. Porsche's certainly don't have the same impact because today there are so many of them and people know they cost often less than the luxury sedans.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    ...and people know they cost often less than the luxury sedans.

Is that bad?

Quote:
    nberry said:

No, Porsche's are the brown shoes.

The 430 is designed for everyday use. The past reputation of the car was well founded. Today it is totally the opposite. It is reliable and reasonably economical to drive. I have had mine since Dec 2005 and almost 10,000 miles. Total maintenance cost $1100.

Ferrari's are very unique and special. They do attract a lot of attention and could send the wrong message to customers/clients. Porsche's certainly don't have the same impact because today there are so many of them and people know they cost often less than the luxury sedans.

Last year when I first joined this board, I cannot stand you one bit, but you, like wine, seems to get better with time and now if I don't see your posts I have to admit I kinda feel like something is missing, my day is not complete

But COME ON NICK!!!, BROWN SHOES???!?!?!? You've gotta be kidding me, you really should give Porsche a tiny little bit more

But seriously, $1100 for 2 year is pretty good, that's like Merc territory. I have to admit my last Ferrari experience was 355 and if the 430 is that much improved, you got me thinking again. You the devil.

Your really should drive the 430 more instead of the Mini, not like your clients is gonna believe what they are paying you is only good for a Mini.

" But COME ON NICK!!!, BROWN SHOES???!?!?!? You've gotta be kidding me, you really should give Porsche a tiny little bit more

I was kidding.

Also, I would buy another Porsche IF it was mid-engine limited production, F1 type tranny AND had safety features. That is why the CGT did not make the cut with me. Otherwise, it would be sitting in my garage.

You should reconsider the Ferrari. They have made tremedous strides in reliability and daily driveability.

Alan no it is not bad but good as least with some clients.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803095 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448519 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90026 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6513 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885600 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833103 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM