Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

European F1 Grand Prix

Okay folks - we're at the Nurburgring this weekend.

Lewis Hamilton has been recovering from 'flu. Meanwhile McLaren, Ferrari and Honda have been plagued by the scandal surrounding whether any confidential Ferrari data was revealed to McLaren and/or Honda and what illegal activities Ferrari were involved in as part of a counter-espionage operation they were covertly waging against Nigel Stepney while he was still employed there. One thing is for sure. Not one of them will come out of this scandal completely unscathed and smelling of roses! This intrigue is worthy of a James Bond movie plot!!

So, back to the action, will Ferrari still be slightly dominant over McLaren? I think so! Will Massa fight back having been overshadowed by Kimi recently? Possibly. Is Alonso gaining any advantage over Hamilton as a result of the PR battles he is waging in the media? I don't think so. I do think though that Hamilton made some uncharacteristic errors (e.g. at the refuelling stop) at the British GP because he allowed the pressure of performing at home to get to him a little bit.

Let's see how the practice times start to show how the weekend might turn out.

Re: European F1 Grand Prix

Things get dicey...definitely a quali track. I wouldn't be surprised if a BMW got a podium, but that's still a longshot. Let's see how things pan up in the respective team battles. This race might signal a shift towards a 2nd half Ferrari domination...should be fun to watch

I hope for Kimi once again!
    Would make the championship really interesting.

From ITV-f1.com

Ferrari has got faster, warns Kimi
    Thursday, 19, July, 2007, 13:18

The on-form Kimi Raikkonen has warned his rivals that he will be even tougher to beat in this weekend's European Grand Prix, having taken another step forward in last week's Spa test.

The Finn is aiming for a hat-trick of wins after turning his lack-lustre season around with back to back victories in France and Britain.

He was fastest on the final day at Spa and reckons Ferrari could be even quicker at the Nurburgring.

"The car felt almost even better than in Silverstone," Raikkonen said.

"Race after race we are making improvements.

"The Nurburgring is a completely different track compared to the one in Belgium, but nevertheless I expect us to be very competitive.

"I don't want to predict anything right now.

"We have to get on the track and give our best: then we'll see if it's enough to win the race."

Raikkonen has yet to win at the Nurburgring, but hopes to emulate his Ferrari predecessor Michael Schumacher - who took four victories for the team at his home circuit between 2000 and 2006 - and mount the top step of the podium this weekend.

"In the past I had the feeling that Michael was almost invincible there," Raikkonen admitted.

"It looked as if whatever we did, a red car had to cross the line first.

"Now it's my turn to do the same."

Although the Finn is still 18 points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton, he remains confident of catching the McLaren.

"We have to close the gap on our competitors, but there's still a lot of time left," said Raikkonen.

"Slowly but surely, race after race, we have to catch up: we will start doing that on Sunday at the Nurburgring."

"We have to close the gap on our competitors, but there's still a lot of time left," said Raikkonen.

"Slowly but surely, race after race, we have to catch up: we will start doing that on Sunday at the Nurburgring."

I like this guy. All business, team player - never I, always we - never blames anything/anone but himself. The media does not like him, but that's fine.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I like this guy. All business, team player - never I, always we - never blames anything/anone but himself. The media does not like him, but that's fine.

Very similar to Schuhmacher, isn't it?

Now Räikkönen only has to work successfully with the team, but I think he already does, only the media ignores it.

I really like Raikkonen as well.

In sense of purely driving fast, he is likely the best and most talented driver in the current F1.

Also with a view to the championship I cross fingers for Kimi making the hattrick. Would be nice to see a BMW on the podium!

BTW...I will be onsite.

nobody has ever questioned Raikkonen's talent, it was more so his resolve. When times got tough, Kimi sometimes vanished into a mire of frustration...not necessarily on Sundays, but the days after when he needed to be working with his team to fix problems.

These next few races will define his career...

Lewis Hamilton is again fastest in practice today. Only one word to describe him right now...relentless. The guy is able to shut out anything around him: his 'flu, the media scandal about possible breach of confidentiality/espionage etc. This man is a machine. Remind you all of someone?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Lewis Hamilton is again fastest in practice today. Only one word to describe him right now...relentless. The guy is able to shut out anything around him: his 'flu, the media scandal about possible breach of confidentiality/espionage etc. This man is a machine. Remind you all of someone?

Your comparison is little bit too early IMHO... In fact at least two World Titles too eary...

Let's wait and see. If Hamilton won this year's title he will go in to the history as one of the greatest drivers of all times in F1. If not, then he will be just the another talented kid...

Let's see the race! Last race his pole was a bit 'fake' as he was travelling light...
    Maybe rain this week-end?

Hey KresoF1! I'm sure you can forgive a little bit of patriotism from me for my fellow countryman, Lewis Hamilton. After all, how many sports are there today in which someone from the UK is world champion?? Probably almost zero!! We lose at everything we do! So I'm sure you can understand that we want to make the most of it while Lewis is doing well. We all know Lewis won't actually win the title - he's British after all - so somehow he'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

British sportsmen and sportswomen are destined to participate and fail at the last hurdle. Such is our fate!

Easy, do not be so pessimistic, there is the Rugby World Cup soon and England can win :-)

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Hey KresoF1! I'm sure you can forgive a little bit of patriotism from me for my fellow countryman, Lewis Hamilton. After all, how many sports are there today in which someone from the UK is world champion?? Probably almost zero!! We lose at everything we do! So I'm sure you can understand that we want to make the most of it while Lewis is doing well. We all know Lewis won't actually win the title - he's British after all - so somehow he'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

British sportsmen and sportswomen are destined to participate and fail at the last hurdle. Such is our fate!

don't you guys dominate that sheep throwing sport or something

ROFL! Sheep throwing? What the heck is that? But no doubt we must have invented it (since we invented almost every sport on this planet) but I'm sure we are now useless at sheep throwing too!

C'mon man - we won the Rugby World Cup nearly 4 years ago when we had an amazing team! As soon as we won, half the team retired!! And Jonny Wilkinson has spent most of the past 4 years injured or in hospital having surgery. I fully expect us to get our backsides handed to us by the All Blacks, the Wallabies and the Springboks. We have no chance of winning this time round

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    C'mon man - we won the Rugby World Cup nearly 4 years ago when we had an amazing team! As soon as we won, half the team retired!! And Jonny Wilkinson has spent most of the past 4 years injured or in hospital having surgery. I fully expect us to get our backsides handed to us by the All Blacks, the Wallabies and the Springboks. We have no chance of winning this time round

This is not British fighting spirit
    Come on, you never know! Look at the grandpa French soccer team in the last world cup. They still made it to the finals!

But they had class players like Thuram, Henry, Zidane, Viera, Barthez...need I go on? I have always believed that, when it comes to sportsmen, "form is transitory, class is permanent".

As for the England Rugby team, actually I base my pessimism more on the fact that they have hardly won ANY matches since winning that final!

Coming back to that France v Brazil match, France was the only team capable of beating Brazil in the World Cup and when it mattered, les Bleus got their act together and played breathtaking football that left even the Brazilians outplayed. Actually I remember that match so well. The French created enough opportunities to win about 8-0 but kept failing to actually put the ball in the net. In the end it was embarrassing to watch - they were SO MUCH better in that match than Brazil. Zidane was literally toying with the Brazilians.

Well I'll be at the race live on Sunday so hope there will be some good battles going on otherwise I will be pissed if one driver just walks away from the rest of the field!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Coming back to that France v Brazil match, France was the only team capable of beating Brazil in the World Cup and when it mattered, les Bleus got their act together and played breathtaking football that left even the Brazilians outplayed. Actually I remember that match so well. The French created enough opportunities to win about 8-0 but kept failing to actually put the ball in the net. In the end it was embarrassing to watch - they were SO MUCH better in that match than Brazil. Zidane was literally toying with the Brazilians.

Not to veer off topic, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Brazil brought one of the most talented group of players to a world cup that we have ever seen, but they were hardly a team.

There were the old legends who should not have been starting (Ronaldo, Robert Carlos, Cafu), the glory maniacs who didn't produce when the spotlight was on them (Ronaldinho Gaucho, Dida, Roque Junior) and the few glue players who kept the team afloat (Kaka, Ze Roberto).

Brazil was disjointed and lacking identity, clearly a point of blame to their coach. Now with Dunga at the helm, they are going back to players who want to play, play hard and play together. They outlcassed a far superior Argentine squad just recently at Copa America, with this formula.

Brazil in 06 was very weak and could have fallen to any number of the competitors. It sure was a shame, because it tarnished the reputation of some of the most talented players of all time...

------------

back to F1: Any Germans have a weekend weather forcast? If it rains, things will get reallllly interesting

In a funny sort of way Hurst, I agree with you

You're right about Brazil. They were a team of pampered allstars not playing for each other.

If you look at the matches they played in the last World Cup, they kept winning despite not playing amazing football. The only point I wouldn't easily agree with you on is that a number of teams could have beaten them. I don't think so. It took an inspired French team to do it. France never really reproduced that form in their next match.

Oh well, it's all water under the bridge now. A discredited bunch of Italian players won that tournament. Remember the scandals about corruption in Italian football as the backdrop to that World Cup? It was a real turn off for me....

weather forecast for now is no rain on Sunday...

OMG! Really bad thing happened to Lewis Hamilton...

I hope he is alright..

Just heard Ron Dennis's interview. Lewis is fine. Didn't lose consciousness. I hope he will be able to drive tomorrow even if he starts from 8th or 10th on the grid.

Apparently, there was a wheel gun failure so the wheel wasn't put on properly. The tyre burst open and Hamilton went off the track.

Word from hospital he is ok.. will be under observation.. I hope we'll see him tomorrow in the race.

Kimi is on pole.
    1.Kimi
    2.Alonso
    3.Massa
    4.Heidfeld

BTW, chances are slim for Hamilton's start tomorrow...

Quote:
    ha said:
    Word from hospital he is ok.. will be under observation.. I hope we'll see him tomorrow in the race.

That's a flat out left-hander in sixth gear at 260+ - there is no way he is racing tomorrow! That was an incredibly hard shunt. He will need to take some time off after that one.

Too bad, but is shows the dangers of the sport. Give all these guys their due credit.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM