Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How do you like the Sport Chrono on your 997?

How much do you guys like about the Sport Chrono pack?

Re: How do you like the Sport Chrono on your 997?

The main and only thing I like about the sport Chrono is the change of setting for the PSM and the ABS.And I realy love that option.
    I would get it only for this .

I am not mad about the change of the throttle,I find that with the original setting I control it better.

And I NEVER use the clock.

"I am not mad about the change of the throttle,I find that with the original setting I control it better."

Add me on that Gnil

For me the best aspect of the sport chrono is the different PSM threshold setting it provides, just for this its worth it. There are time when you really appreciate this extra setting, and having only the standard one is like a bucket of cold water in those moments.

Second most important is the throttle change, if I'm driving semi-spiritedly, I enjoy it. But if I'm driving at the limit, I also prefer the standar throttle setting since for me as well the car is easier to control and I'm more effective with the more pregressive throttle of the standard setting.

An lastly is the on dash clock... never used it, and don't even look pay any atention to that its there.

I found the remapped throttle better for heel & toe, although still ok in normal setting. But for city driving, definitely standard...
    PSM remap must be the only good thing. The clock I never used.

Revised throttle response: brilliant - I love the choice it gives
    Timer: never use it
    PSM: intermediate setting useful
    SCPP provides various memory settings: v useful

Overall, I would not hesitate to get it again.

There has to be a better answer

The clock is ugly and a waste of time. The throttle setting makes no changes to the power output, so why bother. Make it one setting or the other, not both. PSM adjustment is worth it. I can change the PASM setting on my own.

Porsche needs to either create its own version of BMW's "M" button or Ferrari's "manettino" and dump the wart!

Re: There has to be a better answer

I like the features it adds for adjusting various settings. I usually set the suspension back to normal once I push the sport button. As far as the clock goes I stopped it on 9:11 and haven't used it since.

Very rarely push sport, the suspension gets too bumpy on normal roads. And after 20 months of ownership I still haven't a clue how to even make the clock work! Will have to get around to looking at the manuals someday.

brad

I "refused" to get it when i ordered the car. Didn't like the quasi-poseurish guage ruining the nice clean and straight dash lines.

Now I wish I got it because the gagetry would be fun to have.

BTW, everybody knows that the wart can be easily removed, right? All you have to do is make or have made a "grille" or some other kind of cover for the..., ahem..., "dashhole."

Quote:
    br d said:
    Very rarely push sport, the suspension gets too bumpy on normal roads. And after 20 months of ownership I still haven't a clue how to even make the clock work! Will have to get around to looking at the manuals someday.

brad

I push mine to get the PSE going. My son like the clock but I don't hvae a need for it.

Except for the extended PSM limits, I didn't like the sc option. I didn't get it on my gt3 b/c it's a gimmick.

My random thoughts:

The throtle re-mapping: was cool at first, but I prefer the standard mapping for allmost all driving now.

The clock: Not very useful, but my 4 year old likes to watch it spin.

Extra PCM options: I like being able to change some options that are only available with the SC option.

In the end, I would do it again. Not because it is particular useful, but I have grown used to seeing the 'wart' on the dash. It is a characteristic of the 997 that will be lost, I would think, in a future generation.

I've never used the clock. Otherwise, I love SC on my 997 S but would like to have the sports exhaust on by default, even if SC is off, and being able to turn it off if I wish. As it is right now, the only way to have the sports exhaust on all the time, is to do the vacuum hose modification or unplug the actuator at the engine compartment but then you cannot turn it off if you want to. Porsche should make it fully customizable for their customers. In the 996, the sports exhaust was on always unless you chose to turn it off. I'd also love to be able to turn on the SC without putting PASM in sport mode automatically and then having to turn it off afterwards. Most of the time, I love the more aggressive throttle mapping with the SC on but not the Sport setting on PASM. Again, why can't we customize this? The dealer so far has not been able to do these changes to the car and have no answer on how to do this. There must be others out there that think like me so, who knows if someone will come up with a solution!

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I've never used the clock. Otherwise, I love SC on my 997 S but would like to have the sports exhaust on by default, even if SC is off, and being able to turn it off if I wish. As it is right now, the only way to have the sports exhaust on all the time, is to do the vacuum hose modification or unplug the actuator at the engine compartment but then you cannot turn it off if you want to.

I've never had a reason to turn off the PSE. It's always on.

i believe you can feel the difference of sport mode in a Tip more than a manual car, by re-mapping the computer on a Tip, it not only changes the throttle response, but also the downshifting time, pasm, psm and best of all,a much better intergration between the auto transmission and the engine. so for a manual, i maybe won't be bother with spending the extra money with the sports mode, but on a Tip, i think it realy sharpen the response of the car and for sure it leads to a more dramatic driving experience.

so on my Tip, i can not live without sport chrono...

as for the clock on top of the dash board, i think it is a good location for what it is design for, i mean, if you are on a track driving hard, it is the next best location for reading off the time you made. a head up dislay may be the best solution for displaying your lap time.

the only trouble that i get from the 'clock' is my friends keep asking my why i have a non functional clock on my new car

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I've never used the clock. Otherwise, I love SC on my 997 S but would like to have the sports exhaust on by default, even if SC is off, and being able to turn it off if I wish. As it is right now, the only way to have the sports exhaust on all the time, is to do the vacuum hose modification or unplug the actuator at the engine compartment but then you cannot turn it off if you want to.

I've never had a reason to turn off the PSE. It's always on.

The argument is not wether or not you've ever had a reason to turn off the PSE but that we should be allowed more freedom to customize our cars and that includes being able to have it on as default but also being able to turn it off, if we so desired. If you can infer it by my previous post, you'd realize I have made the modification to have PSE on all the time since that is what I was also complaining about - the fact that it is not on always as on the 996 unless you either modified the system or turned it on each and every time. Therefore, just like you, I've never had a reason to turn PSE off either. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be left with the choice to do so. It is about freedom to make our cars completely ours.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I've never used the clock. Otherwise, I love SC on my 997 S but would like to have the sports exhaust on by default, even if SC is off, and being able to turn it off if I wish. As it is right now, the only way to have the sports exhaust on all the time, is to do the vacuum hose modification or unplug the actuator at the engine compartment but then you cannot turn it off if you want to. Porsche should make it fully customizable for their customers. In the 996, the sports exhaust was on always unless you chose to turn it off. I'd also love to be able to turn on the SC without putting PASM in sport mode automatically and then having to turn it off afterwards. Most of the time, I love the more aggressive throttle mapping with the SC on but not the Sport setting on PASM. Again, why can't we customize this? The dealer so far has not been able to do these changes to the car and have no answer on how to do this. There must be others out there that think like me so, who knows if someone will come up with a solution!

You can easely have an extra switch installed that will allow you to turn PSE on or off to your likes. I have it on my car, others on this board have it too.
    Look for old posts , you will find how to do it.

The clock clutters up the dash board and is almost useless for timing; you need to pay attention to the clock on the computer readout instead.

I do like the sport mode button which automatically also changes the throttle mapping. It's a nice feature when I am practicing hill climbs, especially, and the timing is a nice way for me to measure the improvements in my driving.

Jim

The problem with the clock is that it is difficult to set when you are on the track. I tried it once but always forgot to hit the stalk to set lap. Plus if you timed yourself, will the DE event become a timed event?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765109 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437073 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261313 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82727 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809568 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM