Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997 GT2 - Semi Official Info?

Al, I think 200mph plus is plenty

Go ahead get 750hp out of it - for maybe ten minutes

Really for its warranty and purposes and where u can use it the car has plenty.

If you need more speed buy a used Indy car and a trailer!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Al, I think 200mph plus is plenty

Go ahead get 750hp out of it - for maybe ten minutes

Why would tuning the car just relate to top speed? For me, it's how quickly I get from one speed to another that's most important.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The new GT2 is the real deal. I want one. Its thier quickest street car, the tailpipes are killer and it will be more nimble than a 997TT. I dont care if it sounds like a broken vacumn cleaner or comes with airfix glue and extra asbestos tail slats either.

And Launch control with a manual tranny is a cool idea.

No way will a 599GTB keep up with a new GT2 on any real windy road. The GTB is more Luxo Coupe then serious hard core sports car. The Lambo 640 is cool but is it as useable at the limit of adhesion or just a dynamic handgrenade?

Is the GT2 a car for "hedgies" or cali-greenwich-london posuers ? No, it will kill them dead even with TC and SC.
    That might be a good thing to cull the fakes of our roads.

If you think you need more speed than a new GT2 you are either a nut job or have a death wish.

RC I hope you get a early test drive.

Agreed, the GT2 seems to be Porsche's best offer (for street and track) as per today. Certainly, offering it with PSM was a wise decision as it can now be considered a serious alternative to the 997TT for enthusiasts who want more than 480hp

Downsides include the looks (rear wing etc. ) and PASM which might limit the car's track potential (as in case of GT3 and GT3RS).

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    No way will a 599GTB keep up with a new GT2 on any real windy road. The GTB is more Luxo Coupe then serious hard core sports car. The Lambo 640 is cool but is it as useable at the limit of adhesion or just a dynamic handgrenade?

i already race with a 599GTB on a track, and my old gt2 was faster during the 12 laps. For the lambo, i must tell that i love handgrenades, but only if i can master them....

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    fredb said:
    after reading this interesting document, only one thing is present in my mind : 3175 lbs of announced weight....not better than the 996, i am very disappointed.....

1440 kg is okay for a modern sports car - and much better than the 1500 kg I was expecting.

So my guess was not so bad

I love this car. Especially in black the gt2 looks gorgeous For a 2WD the acceleration performance is impressive!!

I had a dream last night, my GT2 on a delivery truck arriving at gate #911 to get parked beside big brother CTT with 500hponies

Only time will tell if this dream will come true or not

So who's going to get one ?

New 997 GT2 - Official Pics

997-GT2_official_link

Re: New 997 GT2 - Official Pics

How much I dislike the slats in the rear bumper (aesthetically), this does not matter anymore... Those wallpapers are awesome! They show the right amount of mystery, respect and innovation, rally beautiful!
    -Joost-

GT2 standard sports bucket seats...

911 GT2 standard sports bucket seats...

"Essential for sporty driving with such high lateral acceleration as the new 911 GT2: standard sports bucket seats with a thorax airbag integrated into the side bolster and a folding backrest. It makes loading the rear storage compartment considerably easier. The unique feature if the placement of the backrest's pivot point situated high in the side bolsters. A world-wide first, this allows the complete lateral support of a sports bucket seat to be combined with a folding backrest. For very good lateral support in the pelvic area in addition to the backrest and seat cushions. The seat is made primarily of glass fibre plastic and an outer casing of exposed carbon. For very high stiffness and low weight."

Re: GT2 standard sports bucket seats...

Very cool seat! I wonder how long before those are optional on the entire model range (and price)?

I need a new GT2.

There is no other choice really. Ferrari? Dubious styling - disco zombie looks with a front bumper only a Ibiza coke dealer could love, who also wouldnt mind paying $1400 EU for the factory coat hooks. Mercedes AMG models? Useless boat anchors - best left for the elderly, terminally lazy and others who dont go fast anywhere.

Lamborghini LPXXX? Gorgeous, a Sunday only car and no stopping anywhere for anything unless you want a crowd to gather. It should come with its own fuel, video and catering trucks.

Porsche GT2 - Ruthless take no prisoners German ultimate speed machine! And it will start up everyday! Even if its been left in the snow all night! Flaw?
    Needs a custom ski rack. Snow tires will likely be unobtanium first year. Did they test the rear wiper at 200mph + ???? Bet they did!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Very cool seat! I wonder how long before those are optional on the entire model range (and price)?

Grant,
    They are optional on entire range(except Cayenne models), code P03 from MY08. Price? Just around little bit above Adaptive seats...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:Grant,
    They are optional on entire range(except Cayenne models), code P03 from MY08. Price? Just around little bit above Adaptive seats...

Nice - I would definitely order those...

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I need a new GT2.

There is no other choice really. Ferrari? Dubious styling - disco zombie looks with a front bumper only a Ibiza coke dealer could love, who also wouldnt mind paying $1400 EU for the factory coat hooks. Mercedes AMG models? Useless boat anchors - best left for the elderly, terminally lazy and others who dont go fast anywhere.

Lamborghini LPXXX? Gorgeous, a Sunday only car and no stopping anywhere for anything unless you want a crowd to gather. It should come with its own fuel, video and catering trucks.

Porsche GT2 - Ruthless take no prisoners German ultimate speed machine! And it will start up everyday! Even if its been left in the snow all night! Flaw?
    Needs a custom ski rack. Snow tires will likely be unobtanium first year. Did they test the rear wiper at 200mph + ???? Bet they did!

Geez dude!
    Sounds like your just as excited bout this machine as I am
    I GOTTA have one....Even if I only eat bread for the next year afterwards I must have it.
    Basalt/Cobal/Estoril mmmmmm

Quote:
    BC911 said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I need a new GT2.

Geez dude!
    Sounds like your just as excited bout this machine as I am
    I GOTTA have one....Even if I only eat bread for the next year afterwards I must have it.
    Basalt/Cobal/Estoril mmmmmm

An elite class athlete, surviving on only bread - if you succeed, you will be richer for a multi-million-dollar book contract .

Official copy received by my Porsche dealer

Quote:
    AMA said:

This BS is really incredible. Look at the times of Gallardo, 599... All wrong. Sportauto achieved and published much better times already. What is Porsche thinking? Obviously, they expect to deal with foolish and uninformed customers

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    AMA said:

This BS is really incredible. Look at the times of Gallardo, 599... All wrong. Sportauto achieved and published much better times already. What is Porsche thinking? Obviously, they expect to deal with foolish and uninformed customers

incredible is the right word.

And where do they find these times by the way ? For e.g. the 7.55 for the F430 is the SA's time, but I have never heard of 7.59 ( neither SA nor in official presse release) for the 599 ?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

What does that have to do with their GT2 time of 7:32? Even if the 599 and Gallardo times are off a few seconds, the 7:32 is still faster by a large margin

Fantastic lap time!

GT2 is ahead of the times again. P is def. not telling us a cockandbull story here ...

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

What does that have to do with their GT2 time of 7:32? Even if the 599 and Gallardo times are off a few seconds, the 7:32 is still faster by a large margin

This chart is pure marketing BS. Just remember: Porsche also claimed a 7:40 NBR time for the 997TT. Sportauto achieved 7:54...

If the same ratio should apply to the GT2 (i.e. 14s more than factory claim) the comparison would look as follows:

997GT2: 7:46 (7:32 + 0:14)
    599GTB: 7:46 (Sportauto Supertest)

That's why I consider the above chart useless

Who gives a s**t about SportAuto, that's not the question here. 7.32 is an awesome time!

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:
    Who gives a s**t about SportAuto, that's not the question here. 7.32 is an awesome time!

Most of the people here at Rennteam do Sportauto is the only available benchmark for performance cars. Certainly not perfect but still the best benchmark available.

also take note, that Sport Auto is using a shorter version of the NBR as they do not close the track for their tests.
    manufacturers have exclusive days where they have the whole track and use the whole length of the track....and yes, they do test competitiors cars for evaluation...and yes, they know how to drive them and extract the best performance.

this is from wikipedia:

[edit] Track lengths and timing
    Not all of the following laptimes are comparable. The complete de:Nordschleife is 20.832 km long, full uninterrupted flying laps can only be done in closed sessions and race events like Castrol-Haugg-Cup.

During the industry testing sessions in which de:Sport auto records its "Supertest", the track can not be traveled at full speed past "Tribüne 13" (T13, grandstand 13) in order to allow safe access from the old exit/entrance there. Thus, Sportauto Supertests cover only about 20.6 km, which in average yields a 7 s shorter lap time compared to a full lap.

There are 5 sections on the 20.600 meters long Supertest-Nordschleife:

1st=3850 m
    2nd=4235 m
    3rd=4825 m
    4th=4846 m
    5th=2844 m
    =20600 m
    Some lap times are even claimed to have been done during tourist driving sessions. Because it is forbidden to race on tourist days as it is very dangerous to drive fast among the general traffic one should not try to measure the lap time on a tourist day. As the full main straight cannot be driven at speed due to the modern exit/entrance there, these laps are usually timed "bridge to gantry", which is only 19.1 km and thus about 30 seconds shorter.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Some people are incredible here.

When SA posts a by-third-party-validated time of 7.54 for the 997TT they question it, yet when Porsche PR claims 7.32 for the GT2 they are adamant about its validity.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775941 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441019 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262381 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260570 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84973 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880047 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815030 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM