Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Coupe or Cab

I am looking to purchase 997 C2S torn between coupe or the cab. Any thoughts? This suppose to be my last major car purchase.

Re: Coupe or Cab

Consider a hardtop equipped cabriolet. Best of both worlds.

I don't like the looks of the rag top. Would only get one in SoCal. Just my opinion.

Excellence magazine Dec 2005 had a good article on Coupe vs. Cabs and more (p. 152).

Basically the compromise is summed up (very politely) here:

I think a poll here might be fun.

What does everyone have?

Cab

I've had 911 Coupes before and switched to a Cab. My big question is why didn't I do it sooner? Even in the Midwest I don't think you need the hard top unless the car is outside for long periods of time when temperatures get below freezing.

Coupe or Cab is really the $10k question that only you (and/or your spouse) can answer. Personally, I prefer the lines of the Coupe, but love having the ability to drive open top with the Cab, even in the midwest as Le Chef said.

When I have talked about an available 993 for sale with my wife, her first question is "Is it a Cab?"

I drive my 986S with top down and then drive my 997S coupe. To be honest I get tired of the wind and noise of ragtop; coupe is far more civilized (only in mid-40s, not ready for old folks home yet). The constant lazy-curious-nosey stares from other drivers when top is down sometimes gets on my nerves too.

Okay..., I'll shut up now.

The main reason why I asked this question is because I have a 986 now with less than 9000 miles. With the top up it sometimes sqeaks, rattles, moan and groans.

Nothing beats a cab...except a coupe on a race track.

For my money, cab is the only way to go. Drives in the evening to mellow out, drives to and along the sea coast (about an hour a way), drives to the mountains (about an hour and a half away) all top down with headroom to the sky. Yes the coupe will take that corner .0005 seconds faster to paraphrase Clarkson, but who cares? Press the button and in 20 seconds I'm working on my tan. I've got air and sunshine and a perfect view of everything. And I have all of the legendary grip, handling and power I will need to have fun on any road, anywhere. If the top ever becomes squeaky I'll just turn up the volume on my favorite CD.

Naturally, if I were track oriented, then of course a coupe would be the answer. But, since I'll never track this car, well...

Now, the guys in their coupes will enjoy their cars just a much with grins on their faces from the moment they pick up their keys to the moment they tuck their cars way after a hard day of playing. And they should. Cab or coupe, these are wonderfully delicious machines that are supposed to bring joy. That's why we bought them.

Just my .02

It depends where you live. If you live in Socal, definitely get a cab. But then again, I had an M3 cab in Chicago and loved it. There is nothing like having a drop top especially in the evening. Granted, I still have my C2S cab and don't take off the top enough. Get the cab, you won't regret it. In addition, is does garner more attention, unless you don't like that.

Quote:
    Circe said:
    Nothing beats a cab...except a coupe on a race track.

For my money, cab is the only way to go. Drives in the evening to mellow out, drives to and along the sea coast (about an hour a way), drives to the mountains (about an hour and a half away) all top down with headroom to the sky. Yes the coupe will take that corner .0005 seconds faster to paraphrase Clarkson, but who cares? Press the button and in 20 seconds I'm working on my tan. I've got air and sunshine and a perfect view of everything. And I have all of the legendary grip, handling and power I will need to have fun on any road, anywhere. If the top ever becomes squeaky I'll just turn up the volume on my favorite CD.

Naturally, if I were track oriented, then of course a coupe would be the answer. But, since I'll never track this car, well...

Now, the guys in their coupes will enjoy their cars just a much with grins on their faces from the moment they pick up their keys to the moment they tuck their cars way after a hard day of playing. And they should. Cab or coupe, these are wonderfully delicious machines that are supposed to bring joy. That's why we bought them.

Just my .02

Well said!

I traded my 99 986 (50k miles) for a 997 Cab. There's no comparison in the noise and comfort level between the 986 and the 997. The 997 is way quieter with the soft top, even quieter with the hard top. It's also quieter with the top down and the windscreen/windows up. I can drive at upwards of 50 mph without disturbing my wife's exquisitly coifed hair if she lowers the seat bottom as far as it goes and the windows and windscreen are up.

A very different experience.

Of course, I've had convertables for the last 18 years. So I'm a bit biased.

I agree with MMD on the attention, I don't like being out there on public display in an expensive "trophy car", it makes me feel like a smug jerk, even though I know better

For top-down driving, I prefer big Detroit classic antique "cruisers", where it's all about the weather, the feeling of total open-ness and nostalgia, and people tend to give you nice friendly thumbs-up rather than sneers and rolling eyes and uncomfortable glazed stares...

For performance cars, I prefer the fixed roof, windows down and sunroof back if I feel like getting windy...

A guy over on the "VetteNet" mailing list (I owned a Vette a LONG time ago (15 years) and am still subscribed) coined the "Rule of 40."

The rule goes, if its over 40 degrees F, then the top comes down.

With the windows down and the sunroof open in my coupe I get just enough of the cabriolet experience to make me happy. The rest of the time the windows are up and the sunroof is notched open just a bit. Almost the best of both worlds in my opinion.

He's forgotten about the "Rule of 90", whereby you look like an absolute tool driving around in city traffic sweating like a ditch-digger, pretending to enjoy your convertible in a pool of your own juices...

Even when I drove a convertible every day, I would pull up on these masochists almost daily in the midst of a hot Florida summer, look over at them, and think "what in the hell is wrong with you??"..

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    He's forgotten about the "Rule of 90", whereby you look like an absolute tool driving around in city traffic sweating like a ditch-digger, pretending to enjoy your convertible in a pool of your own juices...

Even when I drove a convertible every day, I would pull up on these masochists almost daily in the midst of a hot Florida summer, look over at them, and think "what in the hell is wrong with you??"..

Took the SUV this morning ... way too hot and steamy here in NJ for enjoyable top-down driving in rush hour traffic.

I hate to bring this up but here goes.

Got a 986S with a black top. I'm very careful with it and yet it looks like cr*p when you get close. thery're permanent wrinkles and even some chafing. Ragtop is a big reason I got a 997S _Coupe_.

I'm ashamed to admit I sometimes wonder when an [expletive] is going to trash the ragtop with his "shank."

Meanwhile here's a grey top which is like my black top but more obvious, isn't looking very good (frame of supports, wrinkles, dirt).

My point: Cabs are not without their maint. and appearance problems.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

LOL. I think Seinfeld called it a "Human Bacteria Frappe."

Not to mention your leather retaining BBO (Beyond Body Odor).

Seriously though: I have no problems on a hot day in my Ragtop. I just leave the top down and put the AC on maximum, carefully aim all the vents, and then marvel (literally marvel) at how efficient the Porsche cooling system is! (no kidding)

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    The main reason why I asked this question is because I have a 986 now with less than 9000 miles. With the top up it sometimes sqeaks, rattles, moan and groans.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Boxster and a 997 cabriolet. Porsche truly worked their magic to strengthen the 997 bodies.

As far as the 'smug jerks' in their cabriolets,--I daresay that most people can see that demonstration by someone in a coupe, nearly as well, if that's an apt description...

Personally, if the temps are high wait 20 seconds and I'm back in a/c comfort. I don't believe for a second in trying to impress anyone with the top down if it's that hot,--which fortunately, it rarely is where I live.

Dan

If it's your last major purchase and you plan to keep it a long time....get the coupe. IMHO it's way better looking, more rigid, more space in the back, easier to maintain the looks, etc, etc. But I am biast, I have on 06 C2S...and LOVE IT !!!

I can't imagine not having a Cab- they're awesome!!! The 997 is very quiet with the top up ( rarely up ), and driving in nice weather with the top down is an unmatched driving experience

Happy driving.

I've many of both, now would never be without a cab. I have a C2S cab, and a 997 GT3. Only reason to have a coupe is if you are really into tracking your car, and then I would argue, there are better track cars. Cab is the only way to go. Who cars if people stare? I also disagree with one comment above, it's not a trophy car, don't kid yourself. It's nice, but it's no Ferrari, Lambo or even AM Roadster. Just enjoy it.

: Coupe or Cab each have their own strengths,,,,,

Drive both and then decide which one better suits your lifestyle and preferences. You can't really go wrong with either one. If this were my LAST Porsche, it would be a coupe: more structural rigidity over time, less maintenance of the numerous ragtop moving parts, less ptential water leaks, rattles, wind noises. I own a Boxster S and my next (and perhaps last Porsche) will be a 997 or 998 C2S or C4S coupe.

I would never consider to buy a Coupe as long I woudnt like to go on track.

My Bimmer is almost that sporty and fast than my 997S Cab, for normal days and long distances the much better choice. I dont see the advantage of an Coupe. The Bimmer has at least a trunck. So the Cab is the perfect car for a nice spring, summer or autumn day.

Its fun to have the wind in the hair, it feels good to hear the snoring sound of the PSE without a windscreen in between.

My 997S Cab had a 2 weeks delivery delay. So I got this year from Porsche a Coupe for those 2 weeks. First of all, this car is much noisier on higher speeds than my Cab. I think its because the windscreen is over the motor, so the engine sound is coming through, where the Cab has the windscreen behind the engine. Second, yes nice car but as it stopped raining I was unhappy to have that roof on top of me. And - I had that feeling why should I take the small car when my Bimmer can do things almost the same way and I can go shopping without limits. Dont understand me wrong, when I have a nice day and I take my Convertible I love to reduce shopping or whatever, then I have a reason for.

So no doubt - take a Cab. Furhter on, there are more wanted on resell!

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:

There is absolutely no comparison between the Boxster and a 997 cabriolet. Porsche truly worked their magic to strengthen the 997 bodies.

Not sure whether this is a Boxster/Carrera thing (I talked to 996 cab owners who also complained about rattling noises etc.), maybe more a 9x6 / 9x7 difference . My 987S doesn't sqeak or rattle after 32,000 km (including high speed legs on Autobahn, sub-optimal roads in the countryside, track days and Nordschleife). Hope it's going to continue like this

Anyway there is no right or wrong with the cab vs coupé decision (unless you like to track the car a lot) - it just depends on your personal preferences and on the region where you live. You can't beat the experience of a spirited drive with the top down on a winding mountain road
    BTW even if it maybe against the rules of the hardcore-racers I also prefer driving Nordschleife with the top down: first it makes you feel faster and second the visibility is so much better

@ cag64: good luck with your decision - looking forward to read more about it
    And once you've made the decision don't be shy to ask about the right option-list - the guys over here can be very helpful in this regard

Quote:
    Dan L said:

Dan

Hi Dan, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker here but I just want to know. I was thinking the Boxster could run circles around Carrera Cab (and Coupe) in almost all low speed performance tests. Especially ones that focussed on problems with body flex.

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 08 C2S Coupe (meteor grey). My build completion date according to the Dealer is September 10, 2007, but will still be in Germany. The Dealership cannot tell me when it will be shipped to the USA.

Quote:
    cag64 said:
    Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 08 C2S Coupe (meteor grey). My build completion date according to the Dealer is September 10, 2007, but will still be in Germany. The Dealership cannot tell me when it will be shipped to the USA.

You'll love it.

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:

You'll love it.

+1

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    As far as the 'smug jerks' in their cabriolets,--I daresay that most people can see that demonstration by someone in a coupe, nearly as well, if that's an apt description...
    Dan

I dunno, driving a sports car with the top down in city traffic seems to evoke the same kind of eye-roll as a physically-fit person gets when they walk through a public venue with their shirt off...

You may just be enjoying the sunshine on your shoulders, but everyone else just thinks you're trying to show off...

Sure, screw what everyone else thinks, but it's an irritating side-effect...

To complete the analogy, in the coupe, you're just as susceptible to jealousy of your fitness, but at least you're wearing a shirt, and can't be mistaken for Joe Egomaniac.

Anybody else feel this way when they're driving in traffic in a convertible "premium" sports or luxury car?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM