Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: British F1 Grand Prix

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    MK, This is the official starting grid and final qualifying times. If Alonso is "mediocre" as you say, he must be redefining "mediocre" for a F1 driver.

Hmmm, you ask for a proper definition of "Mediocre"? How about this: constantly outperformed by his team mate (in qualifying and during the races)... Making lots of mistakes... Complaining about how bad a car fits his driving style (somehow, I cannot recall that MS has ever complained about things like that)

P.S.: Maybe we could agree that Alonso is a slightly above average driver
    (Just kidding - he is talented, but not a mega talent like Schumacher or Senna)

Well done Raiko. So the bigs guys are back on stage ahead of their teammates?
    I liked the Schumi-like run of Raiko that put him in the lead after 2nd pit...Ferrari is back :-)

I'm not a big fan of Alonso, but was it just me or did he seem like slightly less of an ass after the race and during the interviews?

Quote:
    HoboPie said:
    I'm not a big fan of Alonso, but was it just me or did he seem like slightly less of an ass after the race and during the interviews?

Alonso has been sour as a lime this whole season. He looks so unhappy. Hamilton is the only one smiling and brining a little humanity into the F1. Even those Kimi won he was still as ice cold as meat stored in my freezer.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Go Hamilton Go McLaren

Can I get that picture in 1440 or 1280 resolution thank you.

Well done Kimi. It was a good win by him. I think after the last two races you can expect him to be a serious title challenger to the MacLaren boys.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Quote:
    HoboPie said:

Alonso has been sour as a lime this whole season. He looks so unhappy. Hamilton is the only one smiling and brining a little humanity into the F1. Even those Kimi won he was still as ice cold as meat stored in my freezer.

I still personally don't care what sort of personality a driver has in F1. Certainly their personality will affect who I prefer, but I don't really think "personality" is necessary to be a deserving driver in F1.

Regarding Alonso being an ass I was referring to his treatment of the other drivers after the race and during the interviews. This time around he actually congratulated Kimi
    and didn't make a whole lot of excuses.

Not smiling is not something I'm going to criticize him for unless it coincides with be an ass in an overt way,

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Well done Kimi. It was a good win by him. I think after the last two races you can expect him to be a serious title challenger to the MacLaren boys.

Agreed. A nearly perfect race for Ferrari. Massa would have been capable to become second behind Räikkönen, if he hadn't had the problem at the start.
    Nevertheless, although no improvement in the constructor's title, this was a big step for the Finn. Made up the leeway to Hamilton, came close to Alonso and overtook Massa.
    Again a very impressing race of Räikkönen, he was fast when he needed it to be, resulting in the win of the British Grand Prix.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Quote:
    ha said:
    Go Hamilton Go McLaren

Can I get that picture in 1440 or 1280 resolution thank you.

Here you go.. http://www.mclaren.com/interactive/wallpapers.php

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Agreed. A nearly perfect race for Ferrari. Massa would have been capable to become second behind Räikkönen, if he hadn't had the problem at the start.
    Nevertheless, although no improvement in the constructor's title, this was a big step for the Finn. Made up the leeway to Hamilton, came close to Alonso and overtook Massa.
    Again a very impressing race of Räikkönen, he was fast when he needed it to be, resulting in the win of the British Grand Prix.

The Ferraris had a stunning race pace! I think Hamilton would have struggled to finish on the podium if Massa didn't stall the engine at the start!

Kimi is back!!!! Clearly things are being sorted at Ferrari and he is rising to his level best.

Do not tell me he is hard on his cars, as someone here stated not long ago. Kimi is smooth and he is a brilliant driver. No one is at his level in F1. Further his attitude is always positive. He is not a cry baby like Alonso, Massa, and even Hamilton.

Re. Hamilton, what I see is a paradigm shift in giving rookies a great car in a top team. Brilliant as he is, had Hamilton - a rookie - been given a position in a lesser team, as it was traditional, I bet he would not be so hot.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Kimi is back!!!! Clearly things are being sorted at Ferrari and he is rising to his level best.

Do not tell me he is hard on his cars, as someone here stated not long ago. Kimi is smooth and he is a brilliant driver. No one is at his level in F1. Further his attitude is always positive. He is not a cry baby like Alonso, Massa, and even Hamilton.

Re. Hamilton, what I see is a paradigm shift in giving rookies a great car in a top team. Brilliant as he is, had Hamilton - a rookie - been given a position in a lesser team, as it was traditional, I bet he would not be so hot.

Hamilton has earned his spot in a top team. If he wasn't as good as he, he would probably not be in F1 at all.

Who cares if Kimi wins or loses?

He doesnt seem to in his post race interviews.

Kimi looks like he would have the same expression if he
    was just driving forklifts in a Ikea warehouse.

All that victory and money then just blahhhhhhhhhh.

If he doesnt show any joy in winning, why should anyone care if he does win?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Who cares if Kimi wins or loses?

He doesnt seem to in his post race interviews.

Kimi looks like he would have the same expression if he
    was just driving forklifts in a Ikea warehouse.

All that victory and money then just blahhhhhhhhhh.

If he doesnt show any joy in winning, why should anyone care if he does win?

I like that. He controls his emotions - both when he feels great or feels down. It is the hallmark of a great driver and an individual in control.

These days, like in many other sports, it is all about showbiz and entertainment value. I still like car races for the sport itself and its craftsmanship.

Yes, to not show or share any joy at winning is a classy way to treat your fans.

Maybe he watched too many Ingmar Bergman movies as a child and lost his humanity?

There are dead accountants with more life in them.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Yes, to not show or share joy at winning is a classy way to treat your fans.

There are dead accountants with more life in them.

ITV F1 commentator (ex F1 driver) Martin Brundle once made the comment about how different Kimi is outside of the F1 circuit. He said when they went out together, he just wouldn't shut up and was really chatty etc.

Can't imagine that but then again I don't know him!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    I like that. He controls his emotions - both when he feels great or feels down. It is the hallmark of a great driver and an individual in control.

Being in control of one's emotions and being inarticulate are two different things......
    you just have to be able to recognize the difference between the two.

Its such good racing, that for the podium finishers in their post race interview session to answer questions like sleep drugged contestants in a French TV quiz show is a let total let down.

Why should people buy tickets or watch the race on TV if the winners act like brain dead zombies afterwards? You can see that at the fish department in your local grocery store for free.

Someone look happy please!

WTF is their sense of perspective and appreciation?

I agree with Jim. If you cant celebrate when you win, if you cant show emotions and get your blood boiling for anything - what's the point?
    If you strive for perfection and being number one - and once u get there, u dont celebrate...why bother?
    And it's about more than mere "showmanship" IMO. It's hard to root for someone who seems indifferent to his own success.

Kimi owned this race completely. I believe Ferrari had this race covered a lot more that what we could deduct from the footage. Alonso's pit-overhaul was very nice...but unfortunately only a short joy.
    Too bad Massa couldn't do anything about Kubiça.

Reports say that Ferrari got sabotaged by their own (ex) chief engineer, and perhaps that could explain why Kimi was struggling so at the beginning of the season.
    I have to admit that I thought he had lost it completely - but having seen these last two races, I must say he is better than the rest when he has the right equipment.
    Hamilton still amazes me. I think he lacks some of the experience the older drivers benefit from when things get dicey - but after all, he is still numero uno in the championships.
    Only wish he wasnt such a clean-cut mama's boy.

All in all this seems to be the best season in many, many years - with at least 4 pilots in contention.
    I believe The Iceman Cometh and emerges victorious in the end - but it's F1. Anything can happen.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    And did you saw they way Mclaren guys were celebrating Hamilton's pole? It is clear even to blind that they all(McLaren/Ron Dennis) love Hamilton much, much more then Alonso.

No wonder, given Alonso's mediocre performance

Very good British GP. Kimi drove like Schumi and this is IMHO very good thing indeed. Alonso was also very good and Hamilton wouldn't finish third if Massa did not have that stupid start stole... Massa did maximum IMO...

Looking forward to Nurburgring since it was McLaren's track for last few sessions. Let's see if Ferrari is able to keep their pace there as well...

Dr. Phil, did u see the huge gold sunglasses Alonso was wearing before the race?

He looked like Elton Johns pet monkey.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    And did you saw they way Mclaren guys were celebrating Hamilton's pole? It is clear even to blind that they all(McLaren/Ron Dennis) love Hamilton much, much more then Alonso.

Can you blame them?? They are driving in Britain, the team is British, Hamilton is British and Mclaren signed him when he was 13. Off course they love him more than Alonso. It's all very natural.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Dr. Phil, did u see the huge gold sunglasses Alonso was wearing before the race?

Jim, I think you may be confusing Elton John with Michael Jackson.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim, I think you may be confusing Elton John with Michael Jackson.

Oh oh!

Well if Elton John does fancy a pet monkey, Alonso would for sure would not have to change sunglass sponsors .

Alonso - if you read Rennteam, get a better posse! Your PR and Wardrobe people are killing your rep.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Can you blame them?? They are driving in Britain, the team is British, Hamilton is British and Mclaren signed him when he was 13. Off course they love him more than Alonso. It's all very natural.

This may be a slight over-simplification of the situation.

On the one hand, the Team's name is McLaren International. I think the staff members are also a cosmopolitan mix.

On the other, F1 mechanics are paid a bonus based on the championship points gained by their team. What counts more in this context? Patriotism or money?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Alonso - if you read Rennteam, get a better posse! Your PR and Wardrobe people are killing your rep.

Nah, Dr Phil already his best to do that last year.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

This may be a slight over-simplification of the situation.

On the one hand, the Team's name is McLaren International. I think the staff members are also a cosmopolitan mix.

Off course Mclaren isn't 100% pure, no team is. But it is as British the as much as Toyota is Japanese and Ferrari is Italian.

Ron Dennis is British, Mclaren is a British based company and they have a factory operating in Britain. Even Vodafone is British.

Mclaren is British.

Period.

nice way to follow the driver you like in action!

http://www.kangaroo.tv/F1/

What a cool race. I watched Wimbeldon live (as my idol Mr. Federer was pushed to the limit) and watched the F1 subsequently there after on tape dealy.
    Glad I didn't check Rennteam before

----------
    Winners:

-Felipe Massa:
    What a race by Massa. He starts off in the pits and carves through the oponents to salvage a 5th place finish. Give him a few more laps and he could have passed Kubica (unfortunate that it was a BMW instead of a Renault in 4th, because the Bimmers have great high speed down the straights). This clearly would have been 1-2 Fezza had it not been for the technical woes

-Alonso:
    Fernando silenced all of the naysayers who said he was being outperformed by his teamate. Sure Hamilton took Pole, because he was riding light as Kate Moss...Some publicity stunt

The fact is he ran ~.2 seconds slower in quali than Hamilton but he had considerably more fuel. He even took a short initial pit stop to attempt to slow Kimi down in hope that Hamilon could make up the separationg that Kimi would have undeniably made had he been given free track.

He simply raced better than Lewis and that should not be forgotten

-Raikkonen:
    He's a very very good driver and clearly has the best car. Now whether or not he can catch Alonso/Hamilton, it may come down to reliability...

-Kubica: Keep it up young chap, you and Heidfeld, if you stick at BMW and get a few engineers, might make F1 a 3-headed monster for years to come!

----------

Losers:

Woeful Honda:
    Goodness gracious, you know your team is in dissaray when the Super Aguri mechanics signal to their drivers (Davidson) that they have better pace than you (Button). Driving your 2006 season car isn't exactly what F1 is about....What is all of this money going to?

Nico the Kid:
    Sporadic race day, with some dubious pass attempts that landed Scott Speed on the paddock. Kubica is making leaps and bounds while you're stalling in a Sophmore slump. Clearly BMW made out like bandits after their split with Williams

Red Bull/STR Ferrari racing:
    So much for the young guns. They either retire due to failure or crash. What's going to happen when DC retires? I hope Bourdais or Brunno Senna are ready to struggle...

Until next race!!

Great race - so exciting the way the top 3 drivers overtook each other only via the pit stops!

Hamilton's first mistakes - so he is human after all! I think it's the only time the pressure got to him. I think it was mainly caused by the weight of expectation of racing in his home GP. Seems like his career is in 'fast forward'.

I watched the F1 qualification on Saturday on TV with my computer showing Federer v Gasquet on the BBC website's live stream (UK viewers only) and my wife's computer showing Nadal v Djokovic then Williams v Bartoli. On Sunday, I watched the F1 race on TV and Federer v Nadal on the computer.

Did any of you guys get to watch the Tour de France? London did a terrific job of hosting the start on Saturday and Sunday. Looked lovely in the sun!

Great rugby match too: Australia beat South Africa (sorry Mike S)

England lost against the West Indies in the final Cricket ODI...

Plus I watched some of the Live Earth gigs. How come Keane can't seem to sing well live anymore? Madonna was great as usual...

I watched WAY too much TV this weekend...

Can't wait till the Red Bull Air Race comes to London. I'll be watching it from the balcony of my apartment

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752890 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430561 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258521 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5251 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868161 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801714 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM