Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

British F1 Grand Prix

Well, the weekend immediately after the French GP, we now have the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Great, but the media hype surrounding Lewis Hamilton is now in overdrive He's become a total sensation here and a genuine superstar. He has even been photographed at a Charity Dinner 2 nights back with Thandie Newton. I wonder whether they exchanged mobile phone numbers?? But I think she's too old for him anyway - he can surely do better than that! He's only 22 and I'm sure there are plenty of really hot 20 year olds out there for him!

So, coming back to the race, it seems to me that Lewis, Felipe and Kimi will be fighting for the podium, with Fernando again taking 4th place. How must Fernando be feeling this season? He moved amid so much fanfare to McLaren expecting to be treated like a king. Instead some previously unknown kid is stealing all the limelight from him and is now even stealing his kingdom from under his nose! Fernando has a big ego so I can imagine only one emotion - he must be absolutely seething with fury!! He is the twice World Champion and he is being made to look second best at McLaren.

At least Kimi has realised that he not only has to perform for Ferrari (as he did by winning in Magny Cours) but that he needs to start handling the media a little better. He can't carry on with his "I don't give a damn" attitude or his F1 career may end up being short-lived. A time comes when you need to deliver and when you consistently don't deliver, you can't just stonewall the media. You need to explain your failures.

Felipe has always been fine on that score. He has a lot of charm and handles himself very well with the F1 press.

It just seems like we only really care about these 4 drivers now. Okay, so Kubica and Heidfeld have both driven well for BMW Sauber (and Kubica has done so well coming back so soon after his terrible crash) but they have not really threatened to win a race. They have come quite close only.

The other teams may as well be in another formula. Renault, Williams, Toyota and Red Bull still have a lot of work to do. Spyker and Toro Rosso still cannot be regarded as serious teams although Super Aguri, amongst the minnows, has really done well considering they only entered F1 in 2006. Honda are still directionless not knowing whether to expect the changes they make each race to improve or ruin their competitiveness. Frankly few people seem to care about their fate.

I wish we had had a slightly longer break between races. Back to back is too often. 2 weeks is a sensible interval between races. It's nice to build up a bigger appetite/thirst for watching the action.

Silverstone will probably be the same: dire facilities at an ageing track that desperately needs investment. As with so many things in the UK, it's falling apart and it's an embarrassment.

I'm wondering which of those 3 drivers will win. Lewis may have been quickest in 1st practice today but it's still early days yet. I just think Felipe will win unless Lewis does something even more remarkable than he has already done this debut season.

Also, why is the race on at 1pm when the Mens Singles Final at Wimbledon is on at 2pm? Which fool didn't check the calendar?

Gosh! And the Tour de France gets underway this weekend in London. It's all happening in the UK folks!

Let's hope the weather doesn't spoil things. It's only been raining here every single day for the past 2 months!!!

Roll on Sunday!

Re: British F1 Grand Prix

Easy,
    I deleted my thread when I saw yours.

FRI Practice 1
    http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2007/778/6417/

FRI Practice 2
    http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2007/778/6418/

Of course Ferrari is my fav.

Thanks KresoF1 Great minds think alike!

I hope for Räikkönen finishing first and Massa second. That would keep both contests interesting: team results as well as internal Ferrari-driver results.

I hope Renault gets their act together and challenges at least BMW. That would bring action to the mid field. Fisico is out next year IMHO.

I go for Massa 1st, Raiko 2nd, Lewis 3rd.
    A good ol' Silvertsone race with rain would be cool :-)

It will come down to quali and rain.

I expect Kimi not to perform so well (Silverstone is not his track), look for Massa and Hamilton to duke it out in the pits. Fezza, McLaren, Fezza, BMW, McLaren

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    It will come down to quali and rain.

I expect Kimi not to perform so well (Silverstone is not his track), look for Massa and Hamilton to duke it out in the pits. Fezza, McLaren, Fezza, BMW, McLaren

In Magny Cours Räikkönen did a fantastic job. In fact in this race it was the first time, that his driving style reminded me of Michael Schuhmacher. Perfect start with the overtaking of Hamilton, no mistakes during the whole race and he was astonishingly quick when he needed to be, resulting in the lead in front of Massa after their second pit stop.

remind you of the first race?

Silverstone might have old facilities, but it has something that NO other F1 track has - a 185mph first corner! And the next two after that are damn tricky.

Taking pole or 2nd or 3rd is not a garuntee of success at Silverstone.

Quote:
    Hurst said:

I knew that question would come.

You're right Hurst, in the first race Räikkönnen also looked very good, but the race was far easier for him, starting from the pole and bringing it home without any threat from other teams. But it was Magny Cours where he showed a bit of his talent, for the first time in this season.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

You're right Hurst, in the first race Räikkönnen also looked very good, but the race was far easier for him, starting from the pole and bringing it home without any threat from other teams. But it was Magny Cours where he showed a bit of his talent, for the first time in this season.

But after second pit stop, Massa had traffic in front of him.. there he defenetly lost a few seconds and difference between Massa in Raikkonen before pitstop was about 3 seconds. There was some luck too

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

But after second pit stop, Massa had traffic in front of him.. there he defenetly lost a few seconds and difference between Massa in Raikkonen before pitstop was about 3 seconds. There was some luck too

Agreed.

But some luck is always important.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

Agreed.

But some luck is always important.

Agree

Anyway, I hope Massa will be faster than Raikkonen in comming races, because then mybie Nico Rosberg would get chance to drive for Ferrari. I think he is one of most talented drivers, with aggressive driving style and we would see great battles between him and Hamilton for race wins

wow! Hamilton pulled that out of the bag alright - how amazing! Pole Position! 1st British pole sitter in 11 years!!!

who is going tomorrow!?
    let meet up!

1.Hamilton
    2.Kimi
    3.Massa
    4.Alonso

Difference between all four of them is really small...

Funny how the 2 McLaren were racing each other in the second run with Alonso trying to overtake Hamilton at the red light! What was that!?

And did you saw they way Mclaren guys were celebrating Hamilton's pole? It is clear even to blind that they all(McLaren/Ron Dennis) love Hamilton much, much more then Alonso.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    And did you saw they way Mclaren guys were celebrating Hamilton's pole? It is clear even to blind that they all(McLaren/Ron Dennis) love Hamilton much, much more then Alonso.

Maybe those were only Hamilton's mechanics?

of cause they r happy ! this was a tide fight between ferrari and they make it happen.

I think they would have been celebrating the same way had it been Alonso. Well done Lewis.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Maybe those were only Hamilton's mechanics?

er... but they were!

Go Hamilton Go McLaren

I wonder how the start will be. Remember last week, Kimi's enhanced clutch slip allowed him to pass Hamilton on the first turn. The start should be delicious

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

No wonder, given Alonso's mediocre performance

MK, This is the official starting grid and final qualifying times. If Alonso is "mediocre" as you say, he must be redefining "mediocre" for a F1 driver.

1 L Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1min 19.997secs
    2 K Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:20.099
    3 F Alonso (Spn) McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.147
    4 F Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:20.265
    5 R Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:20.401
    6 R Schumacher (Ger) Toyota 1:20.516
    7 H Kovalainen (Fin) Renault 1:20.721
    8 G Fisichella (It) Renault 1:20.775
    9 N Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:20.894
    10 J Trulli (It) Toyota 1:21.240
    11 M Webber (Aut) Red Bull-Renault 1:20.235
    12 D Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:20.329
    13 A Wurz (Aut) Williams-Toyota 1:20.350
    14 R Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:20.364
    15 S Speed (US) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.515
    16 V Liuzzi (It) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.823
    17 N Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:21.219
    18 J Button (GB) Honda 1:21.335
    19 A Davidson (GB) Super Aguri-Honda 1:21.448
    20 A Sutil (Ger) Spyker-Ferrari 1:22.019
    21 T Sato (Jpn) Super Aguri-Honda 1:22.045
    22 C Albers (Ned) Spyker-Ferrari 1:22.589

yea, no way to compare these times...who knows the relative fuel loads. Pits and the start should be exciting.

I would like to see Kimi trail Hamilton and see if he can make a pass. That would be solid entertainment (a la Suzuka 2005 Kimi vs Fisi, best pass in the last 10 years imo...)

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    I wonder how the start will be. Remember last week, Kimi's enhanced clutch slip allowed him to pass Hamilton on the first turn. The start should be delicious

Absolutely! Can't wait!

Are you going to get up early and watch it live?

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Well, the weekend immediately after the French GP, we now have the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Great, but the media hype surrounding Lewis Hamilton is now in overdrive He's become a total sensation here and a genuine superstar. He has even been photographed at a Charity Dinner 2 nights back with Thandie Newton. I wonder whether they exchanged mobile phone numbers?? But I think she's too old for him anyway - he can surely do better than that! He's only 22 and I'm sure there are plenty of really hot 20 year olds out there for him!

Now that's called "getting experienced"!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763247 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260741 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257723 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81007 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808163 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM