Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New M3

If you're a Porsche engineer you probably won't need to lose too much sleep over the new M3. Just keep focusing on the R8...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BMW-M3-4.0-V8/226432/

Re: New M3

Wanna replace my current 04M3 with a new one. Bothers me that new body styling it looks sooooo frilly and boy-racer aggresive. Only reason I have one is for a bit more room than the 997S with similar straight-line perf.

I love the comment that it ONLY gained 78kgs over the old model. If you are going to use the word "only" to describe its weight gain, there better be a decimal point between the 7 and the 8. The E46 was too heavy to begin with.

"....installed in a new M3 that weighs just 78 kg more than the previous 339bhp model..."

JUST 78 kg more??? My E46 M3 was too much a pig already for 333hp, part of what drew me to the 997S. I would rather get a 500 horsepower, 480 Lb-ft. torque $45K Shelby mustang cobra than the new M3, curb weights converging as they are...

(late edit: just read above post, deddie is spot on!)

Quote:
    Damian said:
    My E46 M3 was too much a pig already for 333hp, part of what drew me to the 997S.

With all due respect, I have both (04M3, 06997S) and would rate them about the same for straight line "thrill factor."

IOW, if the M3 is a pig so is the 997S (sorry to say it that way).

Quote:
    MMD said:IOW, if the M3 is a pig so is the 997S (sorry to say it that way).

Unfortunately true in both cases. The 997 is the more satisfying drive due to where all that excessive weight is placed though...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:
    My E46 M3 was too much a pig already for 333hp, part of what drew me to the 997S.

With all due respect, I have both (04M3, 06997S) and would rate them about the same for straight line "thrill factor."

IOW, if the M3 is a pig so is the 997S (sorry to say it that way).

MMD If you had to choose one , would it be the Carrera or the M3 ?
    If do get tempted by the new M3 for a change, but would I be dissapointed ?

Quote:
    Damian said:
    "....installed in a new M3 that weighs just 78 kg more than the previous 339bhp model..."

78kg heavier!!? That's quite a lot indeed. Did they do the official weighing when the test driver was still in the car?

What could have caused that sort of weight increase?

The current R8 is a nice looking car (I was "chasing" one with IN license plates last week on the A96) but otherwise, I don't know. I was driving a fully fueled Cayenne Turbo S with my whole family in it and the R8 gained around 50 meters only from 160 to 270 kph (speedo). After the (older) guy had me two or three times in his rear view mirror at speedo speeds around 270 kph, he "gave up" and let me pass slowly. My wife looked at his face, she told me that he seemed very annoyed. After driving behind me for a few km, he took the next exit. Don't get me wrong, of course the R8 is faster than a Cayenne Turbo S but I hope you get my point. The R8 is a beautiful car (this one was black, VERY nice colour for the R8) but I'd definetely wait for the R8 V10 or whatever the name will be. Rumoured 100 HP more are definetely a better choise for such a car.

In my opinion, the new BMW M3 is a real bargain. To be honest, if I had to save money, I would rather go for the M3 and not the 997. Of course the M3 is heavier (it is heavier than my 997 Turbo ) and it still is a BMW and not a Porsche but whoever doesn't care about brand names, the M3 is a very nice product at a very nice price tag. My local BMW dealer offered my an almost fully specd new M3 with 270 kph speed limit increase (usually requires a driving training lesson to get this) for 73000 Euro. My wife's Boxster S had a price tag of 77000 Euro. I would definetely choose the M3 over the Boxster ANYTIME.

Btw: my wife may get a M3 Cabriolet when available, she needs 4 seats (kids) and her Boxster S lease runs out in two years. Since I have to drive this car too and since a 997 Cab is out of the question for various "envy" reasons (customers, neighbors, friends, etc.), the M3 Cab may be a good alternative. Up til now, the 335i Cab was actually our favourite but the M3 Cab would be definetely the better choice (for me ).

It will be a great car for its intended purpose. It'll do OK on track, but will need massive brake upgrades to cope with the momentum caused by 400 hp and 3800lbs wet, and will chew threw tires like godzilla and screaming japanese.

But that's not the car's purpose nor its intended audience.

I have yet to read an encouraging review about the new M3. It's a shame BMW sold its soul to the luxury gods in spite of the purists.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

MMD If you had to choose one , would it be the Carrera or the M3 ?
    If do get tempted by the new M3 for a change, but would I be dissapointed ?

Okay Guys don't flame me please: I'd have to take the M3 because it is more practical for passengers, luggage, groceries, shopping sprees, nights out, etc.

I basically hit expressways or highways and am going in a straight line to get somewhere by passing slowpokes so the M3, though not as fun to drive, does the job admirably.

M3 is like a pair of slippers: easy to get in and out of. Carerra is like putting on a wet suit.

HUGE difference definitely worth the extra us$50K: When you snap the seat belt buckle in the Carrera you get a jolt of race-track (or back road) anticipatory endorphins that only Porsche provides.

Buckle the SB on the M3 and you merely feel a touch of serenity given by power and luxury.

Two different cars BOTH good.

Oh, too bad new M3 is so obviously styled to look aggressive; IMO, has kind of a 20-something appeal now. Would kinda feel silly driving a new one; I definitely have to get a darker color to tone down the fabulous I'm-a-dangerous-reptile styling.

I'm surprised that nobody mentions the RS4 in comparison. To me RS4 is sportier than the M3 however I would take either one both, as MMD said, do the job admirably.

Strange but I feel as though AUDI is making their cars sportier (performance wise) now a days to grab more customers from BMW and MB.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:IOW, if the M3 is a pig so is the 997S (sorry to say it that way).

Unfortunately true in both cases. The 997 is the more satisfying drive due to where all that excessive weight is placed though...

Both gentlemen are accurate... definitely the 997S is at least 200 lbs. more portly than she ought to be (even leaving out my Fettucine Carbonara binges) .

Sorry I should augment my M3 'pig' comment... I had myself partially to blame as I CHOSE the concrete-laden version of the E46 M3= I had the M3 Cabrio, and I went directly to 997S coupe so I was delighted by my initial impressions after that marked 600 lbs. crash diet, while adding 22 HP and 25 FT.-LB. torque !
    (The E46 cabriolet is 11% heavier than the coupe.... +160kg/350 lbs. heavier than coupe if I recall correctly......to give Porsche their due the 997S cab is < 5% heavier than its coupe counterpart.)

If BMW had brought the Euro E46 M3 CSL coupe stateside, now THAT would've presented me with an interesting decision.

I love the M3 for it's all-purpose attributes, but I had wishfully hoped the V8 M3 would use more alum or cf or ? to maintain the same weight or reduce weight even while installing the V8....maybe increase the price in US to $65K base and really endow the new machine with some lightweight engineered pieces-- but not to be, yet.

Ron- your comment along with others has me interested in driving an RS4. A friend with a chipped A4 2.0T told me the other day that he is bored with it because the Quattro AWD is TOO evenly distributed dry pavement 50%/50% front/rear.... apparently the RS4 employs modified quattro system compared to A4/ S4, giving the RS4 a greater rear-drive bias for more hardcore traditional sports car handling dynamics.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Ron- your comment along with others has me interested in driving an RS4. A friend with a chipped A4 2.0T told me the other day that he is bored with it because the Quattro AWD is TOO evenly distributed dry pavement 50%/50% front/rear.... apparently the RS4 employs modified quattro system compared to A4/ S4, giving the RS4 a greater rear-drive bias for more hardcore traditional sports car handling dynamics.

I don't believe the 2.0T is a Quattro their 3.2 however is.

I did test drive a S4 with paddle shifter and from the get go I could tell that S4 was a totally different animal than the standard A4 models. I can imagine that RS4 would be in a different class all together.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Strange but I feel as though AUDI is making their cars sportier (performance wise) now a days to grab more customers from BMW and MB.

I was invited ( by private jet ) last week to visit the Audi factory. I was told there that AUdi is aiming to be the number one premium car constructor by 2015 ( that means be above BMW and Mercedes)

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Damian said:

I don't believe the 2.0T is a Quattro their 3.2 however is.

I did test drive a S4 with paddle shifter and from the get go I could tell that S4 was a totally different animal than the standard A4 models. I can imagine that RS4 would be in a different class all together.

Ron No,

I do have a A4 with ECU modded and Air filter installed.
    It was A4 2.0T Quattro with S-Line package. I sold it last monnth because yes that car is fast as 2.0T but really boring really boring. No fun while driving. But it is solid and fast and stable. And then my cousin bought the same of my car modded the same.

He joined a test drive of S4 in an Audi event. His first impressions is that. Audi S4 is a Audi A4 4.2 Quattro S-line. Nothing more than that..... Of course it is not 2.0T or 3.2..
    But however RS4 is a different story....

Interesting, didn't know the A4 2.0T came with Quattro.

The one that I drove was a front wheel drive and then driving the S4 makes it like day and night.

for me, the M3 is infinitely more attractive if you can spec it without Idrive..anyone know?

I like the new M3 for what it is--- the only time it will go on the track is when I try to improve my driving at a BMW taught course--- if anyone is serious about taking a car like this out on the track they need to do what EVERYONE else does with a car like this---- have an extra set of track tires, have an extra set of hardcore brakes and rotors, install a roll cage and take out the back seat and boot liner. I dunno about the first M3 that was out in regard to its ability to be tracked but it looked almost like a CSL version of the normal 3 series of that day --- BMW simply can't come out with a track ready CSL version of the car now as a normal M3 - that's just no feasible.

In regard to the RS4, I dunno if the M3 should even be stacked against that--- maybe the CSL should (seeing as how the RS4 is an "r" S4. The only competition in my opinion is the new C63 AMG. The AMG should have more HP... should be faster in a straight line--- but as we all know- it won't be able to corner as well and it is automatic only. So, there you go--- one car is more boy racer for the street (M3) the other is a fast luxury car that is pretty odd.

The M3 has its place in this industry... I am missing why a person would buy a C63...it will cost as much as an E500 nearly fully loaded but will still be a c class. I missed the point of the old C55 or C42. It's not like an S4 or an RS4... I dunno.

Quote:
    RC said:
    The current R8 is a nice looking car (I was "chasing" one with IN license plates last week on the A96) but otherwise, I don't know. I was driving a fully fueled Cayenne Turbo S with my whole family in it and the R8 gained around 50 meters only from 160 to 270 kph (speedo). After the (older) guy had me two or three times in his rear view mirror at speedo speeds around 270 kph, he "gave up" and let me pass slowly. My wife looked at his face, she told me that he seemed very annoyed. After driving behind me for a few km, he took the next exit. Don't get me wrong, of course the R8 is faster than a Cayenne Turbo S but I hope you get my point. The R8 is a beautiful car (this one was black, VERY nice colour for the R8) but I'd definetely wait for the R8 V10 or whatever the name will be. Rumoured 100 HP more are definetely a better choise for such a car.

Your encounter with the R8 seems in line with Kreso's concern about the relative lack of straight line power and his feeling of "the R8 not feeling faster than the RS4".

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    I'm surprised that nobody mentions the RS4 in comparison. To me RS4 is sportier than the M3 however I would take either one both, as MMD said, do the job admirably.

Drove the RS4 a couple of weeks back and it is MIGHTILY impressive for a four door, five seat car. The engine is an engineering marvel, amazing performance, the roadholding exceptional with the Quattro 4WD and fit and finish up to the level of my Boxster S.

Here in the UK less of a "stigma" than a BMW (no one lets a BMW out of side turnings, and great sport to cut up - not by me I hasten to add) so I'd have an RS4 anyday over the current M3.

Main thing I didn't like on the Audi was the standard heavily bolstered sports seats (SWMBO would divorce me over them - she hated the Porsche sports seats so much that was the main reason I sold my 3.2 Boxster early for the 3.4 with standard electric memory seats which she loves). The no-cost optional Recaro's much better, for me anyway.

With the Boxster S specced up to the standard RS4 spec there is virtually no price difference (saloon, that is, Avant more and cab that much again).

I probably wouldn't get one if only because the congestion on UK roads is getting worse and worse, can't often use the Boxster's performance, let alone an RS4.

But of course the new M3 will move the game on again. And the RS4 is shortly to cease production, according to my local Audi dealer.

her is the video for the new M3 .. enjoy it

http://www.autoclips.net/video/play/6455

Quote:
    RC said:
    The current R8 is a nice looking car (I was "chasing" one with IN license plates last week on the A96) but otherwise, I don't know. I was driving a fully fueled Cayenne Turbo S with my whole family in it and the R8 gained around 50 meters only from 160 to 270 kph (speedo). After the (older) guy had me two or three times in his rear view mirror at speedo speeds around 270 kph, he "gave up" and let me pass slowly. My wife looked at his face, she told me that he seemed very annoyed. After driving behind me for a few km, he took the next exit.

hahahah! That is an awesome story

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    The current R8 is a nice looking car (I was "chasing" one with IN license plates last week on the A96) but otherwise, I don't know. I was driving a fully fueled Cayenne Turbo S with my whole family in it and the R8 gained around 50 meters only from 160 to 270 kph (speedo). After the (older) guy had me two or three times in his rear view mirror at speedo speeds around 270 kph, he "gave up" and let me pass slowly. My wife looked at his face, she told me that he seemed very annoyed. After driving behind me for a few km, he took the next exit.

Indeed... RC CTS is probably the fastest Cayenne in Germany since he said to us that his old Cayenne Turbo was almost faster then F430 Spider on similar encounter on German autobahn...
    Do not get me wrong here-either is RC driving faster then 98% of other drivers or he is simply lucky enought to catch up with incompetent drivers in F430 Spider or R8...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Indeed... RC CTS is probably the fastest Cayenne in Germany since he said to us that his old Cayenne Turbo was almost faster then F430 Spider on similar encounter on German autobahn...
    Do not get me wrong here-either is RC driving faster then 98% of other drivers or he is simply lucky enought to catch up with incompetent drivers in F430 Spider or R8...

F430 spyder's driver was CR, rennteam co-founder (so no "incompetent driver") and if I remember correctly he was himself surprised since he was really pushing.

Kreso I am not trying to say who is wrong or right here, I know it was a debate between you and RC since you had a similar experience with your brother's F430 spider and the outcome was different.

Ziggy,
    To end this debate if you(RC or me) drive an F430 Spider and R8 against Cayenne Turbo S and if either of us(in F430 Spider or R8) use all the power(revs) outcome is pretty clear-Cayenne Turbo S do not have any chance at all.
    Of course, it is only my opinion...

BTW,
    I fully agree with RC's commnets in his post. And Ziggy was also right-R8 do indeed lack little bit on raw straight line power. But, the way it drives... Simply awsome IMHO.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW,
    I fully agree with RC's commnets in his post. And Ziggy was also right-R8 do indeed lack little bit on raw straight line power. But, the way it drives... Simply awsome IMHO.

Kreso, have you considered the possibility that RC perhaps got a very "healthy" car? Porsche does know him and the influence he wields, so it would not seem very illogical to me if he got a "special" ECU program at his first service. That's the only way I can see the CTTS tying a 430 and staying right on the R8's rear. Would be interesting to see how his car performs against the 2008 CTT.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Ziggy,
    To end this debate if you(RC or me) drive an F430 Spider and R8 against Cayenne Turbo S and if either of us(in F430 Spider or R8) use all the power(revs) outcome is pretty clear-Cayenne Turbo S do not have any chance at all.
    Of course, it is only my opinion...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764902 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436889 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82712 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877203 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809369 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM