Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3 is faster than the RS

Just wondering why people go for the RS?

All test driver proved that the GT3 is faster or the same as the RS.

Plus, the GT3 with all nice leather options is still faster than the more expensive but no option RS.

So what's the point for the RS besides the look and name?

Re: GT3 is faster than the RS

the look alone. but then again i have the standard model

RS history, great looks (to some), cool colors, some minor mechanical improvements.

It's quicker to 100 & 160km/h, longer, wider, extended Wheelbase, higher drag Cd or is that lower, not sure, 20KG lighter and the RS has split rear wishbones, enabling greater accuracy when setting the rear camber, colours, the look....can't think of anything else....

It is an awesome car without a doubt and perhaps the Porsche that looks most the part. This car is also made to make a statement and not for conservatives who don't want to be looked at. I love the RS, what a car!

The GT3 RS serves as the homologation model for the GT3 RSR in the range of worldwide racing series. That is point of the RS.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    The GT3 RS serves as the homologation model for the GT3 RSR in the range of worldwide racing series. That is point of the RS.

Well, that's the point for Porsche for making it, but the question is what's the reason to buy the RS instead of the vanilla GT3!?!

Quote:
    bluelines said:

Exactly, that is the RS's raison d'être.

Quote:
    MaxT said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:

Well, that's the point for Porsche for making it, but the question is what's the reason to buy the RS instead of the vanilla GT3!?!

Some people say the RS feels sharper and more planted. But the boy-racer look seems to be the main difference. I would prefer a Manthey upgraded GT3 that looked understated and outperformed the RS for the same money.

In one of the current UK mags

I forget which one, Chris Harris says the RS has a more planted rear end. No speculation as to cause.

What I understand is that the RS is only faster on a racetrack. It like with previous modelranges wheras the widebody-cars are always a slower on a top-end but as Walter R stated : you have to drive with the knife between yr teeth to be marginally faster than a GT3. At that league it's the driver who makes the difference anyhow...

Quote:
    BjoernB said:
    What I understand is that the RS is only faster on a racetrack. It like with previous modelranges wheras the widebody-cars are always a slower on a top-end but as Walter R stated : you have to drive with the knife between yr teeth to be marginally faster than a GT3. At that league it's the driver who makes the difference anyhow...

The Sport Auto Nordschleife times are the same for the 997 GT3 and RS.

Quote:
    MaxT said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:

I totally agree

That is the 75 thousand dollar question. In terms of performance they are pretty much identical. I had the opportunity to trade in my GT3 and write a check for 75k. I didn't think it was worth it to get an RS for 200k. But if money was not an issue, then of course I would get both.

However the base price difference of RS and non-RS is about 45k Euro

" Vanilla GT3" does it melt in the sun ? probably a nice colour though

hmmm, have you seen a gt3?!? It looks great, it really does.
    Have you seen a gt3 rs?!? It looks awesome... stunning personality, like a tiger crouching before killing the prey... That alone is worth a lot. Then there is the history of the rs model line. And of course, there is the bragging rights... I presume that means a lot to people.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    stewart said:
    " Vanilla GT3" does it melt in the sun ? probably a nice colour though

No, no. When somebody desrcibes the car as 'plain vanilla' they just mean to say that it's ordinary.

then he's answered his own question !!!!!!!!!don't you think

Quote:
    stewart said:
    then he's answered his own question !!!!!!!!!don't you think

Why the exclamation mark army?

"hmmm, have you seen a gt3?!? It looks great, it really does.
    Have you seen a gt3 rs?!? It looks awesome... stunning personality, like a tiger crouching before killing the prey... That alone is worth a lot. Then there is the history of the rs model line. And of course, there is the bragging rights... I presume that means a lot to people.
    -Joost- "

Joost, basically the RS is the Posers car?

lol,
    If you want to call it that...
    What struck me when I saw a 997 rs in the flesh is that I actually loved it. Sounds like I need to clarify myself:

I never used to be one of those people who loved cars. I never knew anything about them, and they didn't interest me. Then a friend of mine gave me the game nfs porsche 2000, and I learnt to know the 911. Started loving the looks of them, their performance, their history.

In those years, I have always loved the sleek look of the 911; no spoilers, no add-ons, etc. The clean lines of the standard 911 I found most beautiful. Then there was the 997... beautiful! A time-lapse back to a model which looks like the 993 never went away. I loved it. Untill they came op with the 997 turbo: It is an animal, really awesome, but all the clean lines went overboard: Inlets stolen from techart, a rear bumper which is overdesigned, wart-like foglights... all busy style elements which give the car a cluttered look. Then there was the 997 GT3, and it got even worse. Especially when you compare it to the 996 gt3 mk1, a car in which all design elements flow together into one massive car. Even the rear spoiler looks great (a huge accomplishment, given that a spoiler not only spoils the airflow, but also the looks)
    Basically, the 997 GT3 is a car to dream of, but it looks like a cheap ricer car. The GT3 rs makes it even worse with its'in-your-face colors and way too busily looking add-ons, spoilers lips etc.

And still, I loved the looks of the car. The performance is awesome, but so is the performance of the standard GT3...

So, is it a poseurs car? Yes, definately. BUT it is a poseurs car which has the right to pose, because it is in a league of its own.

-Joost-

so true
    actually I don't really like the looks of both GT3 & RS...

would love to have one without the Impreza/EVO spoiler

You really have to see the RS in the flesh to appreciate it...I never liked wings in 911 either until I saw the 997 RS...Pictures are not even close in showing how b-tifully this car is...It just looks phenomenal. And side by side, the the normal GT3 pales in comparison.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    BjoernB said:

The Sport Auto Nordschleife times are the same for the 997 GT3 and RS.

same day test at the hockenheimring the rs is half second faster (on the small course)!
    walter röhrl drove 3 seconds faster at the NS in the rs.
    on all modern racetracks the rs is faster if you are the right driver,thats also was sport auto wrote !
    if you want to be fast you can buy a gt3,if you want to have something fast and special for all coming years you have to buy a rs !

Quote:
    997GT2 said:

Plus, the GT3 with all nice leather options is still faster than the more expensive but no option RS.

sorry,i don't know from who you have this information but this is definately not right.

Quote:
    cooper29 said:
    Quote:
    997GT2 said:

sorry,i don't know from who you have this information but this is definately not right.

Thanks for telling me.

I have ordered an RS.

Quote:
    997GT2 said:
    Quote:
    cooper29 said:
    Quote:
    997GT2 said:

Thanks for telling me.

I have ordered an RS.

best choice,congrats

Marketing.

Personally I really don't like the over flash colours, black wheels, side scripts & other add ons, they all say LOOK AT ME on the RS, but I still love it as a drivers car amazing!
    Point is if you want ultra-flash you buy an RS, you won't loose come re-sale because there are less made & lots of people who want to be looked at & say they have an RS.
    Having said that even the standard GT3 is rather OTT, I would rather it was more understated, but then again I want a car to drive not to impress others!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802100 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448126 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265747 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264466 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6274 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884927 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831372 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM