Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Another Valet Horror Story

I have a rule: NEVER VALET PARK YOUR CAR. This sometimes leads to arguments with my wife who does not appreciate walking from the far end of a parking lot or even a few blocks from a parking spot on the street. Broke my own rule last Friday and let the valet park my wife's CLK 500 at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach, CA (one of those hotels with no self parking). This was the first time I have valet parked one of my cars in a long time. My 996 has over 106,000 miles and I have only valet parked it twice in seven years and only because there was no other option. Sure enough, when we retrieved the car there was massive damage to the left front corner of the car, including hood, fender, bumper, light cluster--about $4,000 in repairs. I spoke to the hotel's claims adjuster who told me she is very busy managing auto claims for that hotel. When my wife rented a substitute vehicle at the local Mercedes dealer, she was told that the dealer currently has three other cars under repair from that hotel. That's just at the Mercedes dealer. Can you imagine how many other cars are regularly damaged at that hotel (and others)?

Just ordered my Turbo (Slate/Natural Brown). Repeat after me: "I WILL NEVER EVER VALET PARK MY TURBO!"

Re: Another Valet Horror Story

Me too. No valet.

Quote:
    JCNPB said:This sometimes leads to arguments with my wife who does not appreciate walking from the far end of a parking lot or even a few blocks from a parking spot on the street.

Did your wife learn her lesson?

If her car was that damaged, can you imagine what those punks did with it?

I never valet my cars.

us$4k, Mofos! Makes me siiiick. Sorry to hear that.

Yes, I need psychiatric help on this issue. Sad to admit it but when I valet my mere M3 I can't stop worrying about it for about 15 minutes (I will NEVER valet the P-cars). When lunch or dinner is wrapping up I start worrying again.

When the car arrives I try not to show my anguish while I sneak a walk around it checking for damage. Pi**es me off that I'm sooooo covert about it.

I always freakishly overtip the valet. Kinda ridiculous; like paying for your executioner's bullet, or rewarding a guy for _pretending_ to take good care of your car.

Given Montage is only place in OC w/edible grub, this is rather troubling....

Numerous new high-value cars are routinely parked in front of FourSeasons hotels in CA/BevHillsHotel/PeninsulaBevHills/Montage, etc (as well as any decent restaurant in LA/SF).....many are regulars who stop in several times/wk for grub/drinks/massage, etc

Valets at any of these establishments will let one self-park car in front of hotel/restaurant (away from coming/going limos, etc).....universal language of good/prioritized service: generous tips...and drive a respectable car (esp @ a jaded hotel/restaurant which regularly sees new 599s/65s parked, tip more heavily if own car is lackluster, but still want great care in parking)....

Parking in distant/unsecured/unmonitored garages/lots/street introduces risks of random pkg collision/vandalism/mugging....

And driving a "beater" car exposes one to increased personal injury risk in any collision....

Perhaps this "challenging" valet parking game is why so many Bentleys/Lambos in LA are seen in fast-food drive-thrus???

Pardon me for being ignorant, but why didn't you just drop your wife off and go find parking on your own outside the hotel parking area. That's what I would have done if I had gone to a hotel/store that has only valet parking. In fact, the other day when I went to a restaurant out in West Seattle that only had valet parking, I insisted on parking my car myself and paid them a small tip to do that. I'd rather take the extra step in ensuring that nobody valet parks my car, PERIOD!

Exactly atomic80! Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, valet parks my car. Simple as that.

I'm paranoid about secure parking but my wife is usually even more paranoid about it than I am so I guess I'm lucky in that sense. She is more than happy to walk 10 minutes (if need be) if it means our car will be safe.

If it's raining or if her high heels really do prevent her from walking far, I usually drop her off outside the hotel/restaurant etc and then I go park. Valet drivers are usually scumbags who will abuse any nice car given the opportunity.

When I was in LA I used to tell the valet's quite clearly, if I see a scratch on the car I will take the shirts off their backs. I then tipped them and was always shown a decent spot and NEVER had a scratch or a bad experience or anything. You have to make it very clear from the beginning and not be stingy and you'll be OK - pretty much sounds like how we should be with everyone we deal with!

I agree. If possible, it is better to ask to park the car oneself, and still tip the valet. How much are you guys tipping in those circumstances?

I've never had a problem by tipping up front and talking to the guy who manages the valets. Only one other valet actually gets to drive my car and he moves it about 10 feet at the most.

Seems like a lot of you have prejudice against valet attendants, I never had any problems with valet in the past 10 years and I would gladly hand over my keys instead of selfparking it somewhere. Granted I tip quite a bit but it's like buying insurance, with valet park I know my car is safely parked in front with a dozen people doing security. I do not have to worry about someone doing a hit and run, door dings, keyed or have it stolen. I also never had any problem of the valet taking my car for joy rides, in 10 years I think the valet crew racked up maybe 3km at most: normally I get the first spot and it stays parked for the whole night: the valet crew and I are in pretty good standing.

Dan L saids it best, tipping up front and chat with the valet crew, treat them like buddies instead of criminals and they would return the favour. My normal routine is 20 up front and when I leave it would be another 20 or more. Some may think it's excessive tips but for 40 bucks I just pretend I drank another bottle of red.

I agree with the tipping up front. I've given $10 and been treated well; I've also told the manager which valet I DIDN'T want driving my car based on seeing him smoke the tires on the prior vehicle.

Being friendly, asking to have it parked in front or upstairs if you're in an underground garage like we have in Manhattan, etc. all add at least as much value as the tip.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Seems like a lot of you have prejudice against valet attendants, I never had any problems with valet in the past 10 years and I would gladly hand over my keys instead of selfparking it somewhere. Granted I tip quite a bit but it's like buying insurance, with valet park I know my car is safely parked in front with a dozen people doing security. I do not have to worry about someone doing a hit and run, door dings, keyed or have it stolen. I also never had any problem of the valet taking my car for joy rides, in 10 years I think the valet crew racked up maybe 3km at most: normally I get the first spot and it stays parked for the whole night: the valet crew and I are in pretty good standing.

Dan L saids it best, tipping up front and chat with the valet crew, treat them like buddies instead of criminals and they would return the favour. My normal routine is 20 up front and when I leave it would be another 20 or more. Some may think it's excessive tips but for 40 bucks I just pretend I drank another bottle of red.

Hey Whoopsy,

If you let me drive and park your 997TT, I will pay you the 40 bucks instead!

With your Cayenne Turbo coming soon, I think you are gonna have more fun in that Nice choice btw.

But if you insists, save the 40 bucks and we can do a Turbo swap instead

I have posted this before. There is no need to park far away when a hotel or resturant has valet parking. The solution is very simple and I have done it without any problems.

Go to valet parking and drop your wife girl/boy friend off and tell the attendant to get in the car and show you where to park. You park the car keep the key and tip the attendant for his service. If the parking space is far away often the attendant has a car to bring back and you ride with him back.

You repeat the process when you pick up your car. Simple, easy and safe.

Excellent suggestion. That way the valet does not drive your car. If you have to valet your car, that is the way to do it. However, there is still risk, like what happened to me. The valet did not damage my car while driving it. While my car was parked a valet backed an SUV into it.

Sorry to hear about your damage JCNPB. I've never trusted valets with any of my cars and always ask if there is a spot up front where I can self park. So far I've been lucky and they've never had to move my car and I take care of them when I get my car on the way out. I've seen too many valets who remind me of

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM