Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cargraphic powerkit

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    MKSGR

If I am getting on your nerves go take a cold shower and come back to have a conversation like an adult.

Could you do me a favour? Post on other forums. You are ignorant. You are rude. Your posts are useless. Other forums might be more interested in what you have to say

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    MKSGR

If I am getting on your nerves go take a cold shower and come back to have a conversation like an adult.

Crash, I am afraid I am not understanding your post. I am the first one to accept I was wrong if I am, I just don't see it just yet.

It would help me better if you can clarify 1) whether the 807meters and 830meters are data extrapolated from datalogger, 2) were these measurements taken from the same car with "normal" then "shorter" 6th gear, and 3) this data is from what kph to what kph.

Any idea as to what the shorter 6th gear was, if that's the case?

I will get to the last 100kph discussion following my understanding of the above.

Cheers

No, these are simple calculations. Look, both Rt12 versions will do an identical 0-200 km/h time (there is just too much power for the gearing to matter in that range). AFter that, the short-geared version will SLOWLY start to pull away. Remember, these figures are a projection for acceleration from 200 km/h onwards. Since acceleration slows tremendously after 200 km/h, the 2-second difference won't translate into 100 metres as it would at slower speeds, but into no more than 30 metres.

Not sure whether I am explaining this coherently or not, but this is all a byproduct of the fact that the Ruf Rt12 will accelerate at close to 4 m/s from 100 to 200 km/h, so a difference of two seconds here would mean a big gap, while acceleration averaging just over 2 m/s for the shorty Rt12 and just under 2 m/s for the standard Rt12 from 200 to 300 km/h means that the difference will be MUCH smaller at the end.

Crash, I think it is a waste of time to explain this stuff to him. The above posts should be self explanatory for 99% of mankind. The remaining 1% will never be able to follow...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    MKSGR

Crash, I am afraid I am not understanding your post. I am the first one to accept I was wrong if I am, I just don't see it just yet.

It would help me better if you can clarify 1) whether the 807meters and 830meters are data extrapolated from datalogger, 2) were these measurements taken from the same car with "normal" then "shorter" 6th gear, and 3) this data is from what kph to what kph.

Any idea as to what the shorter 6th gear was, if that's the case?

I will get to the last 100kph discussion following my understanding of the above.

Cheers

No, these are simple calculations. Look, both Rt12 versions will do an identical 0-200 km/h time (there is just too much power for the gearing to matter in that range). AFter that, the short-geared version will SLOWLY start to pull away. Remember, these figures are a projection for acceleration from 200 km/h onwards. Since acceleration slows tremendously after 200 km/h, the 2-second difference won't translate into 100 metres as it would at slower speeds, but into no more than 30 metres.

Not sure whether I am explaining this coherently or not, but this is all a byproduct of the fact that the Ruf Rt12 will accelerate at close to 4 m/s from 100 to 200 km/h, so a difference of two seconds here would mean a big gap, while acceleration averaging just over 2 m/s for the shorty Rt12 and just under 2 m/s for the standard Rt12 from 200 to 300 km/h means that the difference will be MUCH smaller at the end.

Crash, I think it is a waste of time to explain this stuff to him. The above posts should be self explanatory for 99% of mankind. The remaining 1% will never be able to follow...

I personally beliewe that it's much more than 1%, but people think of me as a pessimist .

I'm pretty sure GT2ETR understands what you guys are talking about - his point is that one car which does 0-300 in 24 seconds will need ~150m less than the other car taking 22seconds.
    This is also fact but when you run side by side it makes the difference because the chase car is also accelerating as it passes the point where the lead car hits 300kph so the gap remains small.
    I don't think there is a debate

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    I'm pretty sure GT2ETR understands what you guys are talking about - his point is that one car which does 0-300 in 24 seconds will need ~150m less than the other car taking 22seconds.
    This is also fact but when you run side by side it makes the difference because the chase car is also accelerating as it passes the point where the lead car hits 300kph so the gap remains small.
    I don't think there is a debate

The problem is not the intersting discussion/debate above:

GT2ER stated that he thinks the people at Ruf are ignorant and/or liers ("... My post earlier might be invisible, but whoever gave you those numbers at RUF does not know what he is talking about, with all my sincere respects to them. A change from 4WD to 2WD will not get you 2 seconds over a 300kph run, and CERTAINLY shorter gearing will not give you those 2 seconds either.
    ..."), that I don't know what I am writing about, that I changed my mind regarding the question which gears are "shorter" in case of the Rt12, and that some of us are dumb and not being able to understand his arguments ("...if you are not willing to accept all the proof and data presented to you, there is not much one can do to convince you...").

This is inacceptable.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Please, correct me if I missed anything.

Er....you missed my graph above !

We have done this and between 100 and 300kph one car was 1.7s quicker.
    By the end of the run this amounted to 130m.
    the horizontal axis on the graph is distance in km and vertical speed in mph
    You don't have to keep keyboard speculating -we have DONE this for you !

I did not miss your graph, but your interpretation seems to be incorrect. Tell me, how can there be 130 metres of distance between you two when the total time difference is only 1.7 seconds?

What I can see from your graph is only that your car was at around 180 mph when Guy reached 185 mph - that will NOT equate 130 metres of distance between you two.

EDIT: Those 130 metres seem to simply indicate that your car reached 300 km/h 130 metres later than Guy's GT2. That DOES NOT equate to a 130 metres difference between you two.

Did you do the run side-by-side or are you extrapolating your data from the numbers on two different runs? At this moment my keyboard seems much more accurate than your claims.

Crash is 100% correct. The question is not after which distance each car reaches 300kph. The question is: how far behind is the slower car (compared to the faster car) when the slower car reaches 300kph. The answer is a m figure much smaller than the figure you derived on the basis of the above chart.

Here is a way to calculate that distance:
    car A: 0-300km/h in 25 sec
    car B: 0-300km/h in 23 sec

300km/h= 83.33 m/s

to calculate the distance traveled by car A:
    D=(VF+V0) X T/2
    D= 83.33 X 25/2= 1041.62 meters traveled

for car B:
    D= 83.33 X 23/2= 958.29 meters traveled

The question is how far is car B, when the slower car A hits 300km/h at 25 seconds? to get that, you need the acceleration of the faster car B which is the following:
    a= (Vf-V0)/T which is= 83.33/23= 3.623 m/s2
    so, between 23s and 25 seconds, the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 3.62m/s2 which means in 2 seconds its speed went from 83.33m/s to 90.57m/s.
    the distance that car B traveled by 25 seconds is:
    D=90.57 x 25/2= 1132.12 meters.

so assuming constant acceleration for car B, AT 25 SEC. into the race, car A is at 300km/h and traveled 1041.62 meters and car B is now doing 326km/h and is at 1132.12 meters which is 90.5 meters ahead (that's a bit more than a few car lenghts).
    What do you think?

aah986, yes, your calculations are absolutely correct, but starting velocity should be 200 km/h (due to the cars being identically fast up to that speed).

I didn't know that. I crunched in the numbers again using 200km/h as vo and 300km/h as vf and I obtained with the formula above that the slower car has traveled 972.16 meters in 14 seconds between 200km/h and 300km/h, while the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 2.315 m/s2 and traveled 1004.57 meters during those 14 seconds.
    so when the slower car reached 300km/h, the faster car was 32.41 meters ahead.
    The whole trick was the initial speed at which the faster car started to pull.
    So here you go .

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Please, correct me if I missed anything.

Er....you missed my graph above !

We have done this and between 100 and 300kph one car was 1.7s quicker.
    By the end of the run this amounted to 130m.
    the horizontal axis on the graph is distance in km and vertical speed in mph
    You don't have to keep keyboard speculating -we have DONE this for you !

I did not miss your graph, but your interpretation seems to be incorrect. Tell me, how can there be 130 metres of distance between you two when the total time difference is only 1.7 seconds?

What I can see from your graph is only that your car was at around 180 mph when Guy reached 185 mph - that will NOT equate 130 metres of distance between you two.

EDIT: Those 130 metres seem to simply indicate that your car reached 300 km/h 130 metres later than Guy's GT2. That DOES NOT equate to a 130 metres difference between you two.

Did you do the run side-by-side or are you extrapolating your data from the numbers on two different runs? At this moment my keyboard seems much more accurate than your claims.

Crash is 100% correct. The question is not after which distance each car reaches 300kph. The question is: how far behind is the slower car (compared to the faster car) when the slower car reaches 300kph. The answer is a m figure much smaller than the figure you derived on the basis of the above chart.

Here is a way to calculate that distance:
    car A: 0-300km/h in 25 sec
    car B: 0-300km/h in 23 sec

300km/h= 83.33 m/s

to calculate the distance traveled by car A:
    D=(VF+V0) X T/2
    D= 83.33 X 25/2= 1041.62 meters traveled

for car B:
    D= 83.33 X 23/2= 958.29 meters traveled

The question is how far is car B, when the slower car A hits 300km/h at 25 seconds? to get that, you need the acceleration of the faster car B which is the following:
    a= (Vf-V0)/T which is= 83.33/23= 3.623 m/s2
    so, between 23s and 25 seconds, the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 3.62m/s2 which means in 2 seconds its speed went from 83.33m/s to 90.57m/s.
    the distance that car B traveled by 25 seconds is:
    D=90.57 x 25/2= 1132.12 meters.

so assuming constant acceleration for car B, AT 25 SEC. into the race, car A is at 300km/h and traveled 1041.62 meters and car B is now doing 326km/h and is at 1132.12 meters which is 90.5 meters ahead (that's a bit more than a few car lenghts).
    What do you think?

aah986, yes, your calculations are absolutely correct, but starting velocity should be 200 km/h (due to the cars being identically fast up to that speed).

I didn't know that. I crunched in the numbers again using 200km/h as vo and 300km/h as vf and I obtained with the formula above that the slower car has traveled 972.16 meters in 14 seconds between 200km/h and 300km/h, while the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 2.315 m/s2 and traveled 1004.57 meters during those 14 seconds.
    so when the slower car reached 300km/h, the faster car was 32.41 meters ahead.
    The whole trick was the initial speed at which the faster car started to pull.
    So here you go .

Yes, so we agree!

Now that the high jack has come to a conclusion can we get the topic back to its origins?

Good display of politeness there MKSGR. I don't see where I called anyone a liar, I did say RUF were wrong in the data provided, which I sustain to this point. No big deal. As to calling me an ignorant and rude, I will leave it up to the others on the board to decide who is and who is not.

I am interested in this debate and will support my ignorant point of view below with facts and data and leave subjectivity out of it. I hope you can do the same.

To the rest, I apologize for taking this from a hijack to a plain thread execution but I am sure you can understand that I need to address certain statements that were made and that are, *in my opinion* (disclaimer) , incorrect. Since the thread seems to have died somewhat.

The original question was whether RUF can shave off 2 seconds from a 0-300kph run by using shorter gearing. While no specifics were given, I would assume that we are talking about the usual 6th gear ratio alone. What only matters is to find out whether the 0-300kph can be achieved in 23 secs by changing 6th gear or not, and as a bonus, what sort of distance would it need to cover the 0-300kph with 1) stock gearing, and 2) with shorter gearing.

See below what the RT12 does with stock gearing, I hope this clarifies it all. Stock gearing being 0.79 6th gear (997 TT), reaching a top speed of 330Kph with 305/30 x 19 tires and a 7200RPM limiter, all of which are based on the tested car. You can see the distance covered through the red line (the scale is on the left) and the speed at which the car travels on the blue line (scale on the right). Do not try to cross reference speed and distance against each other since the scales are not in sync, but rather each against time and then against each other. i.e. Starting from 100Kph, and after 9 seconds, the RT12 will have run ca 420 meters at a speed of 225kph.

Therefore the RT12 needs ca. 21 seconds to cover 100-300Kph, and a distance of 1315 meters. (Autobild Magazine 21.4s.)

Since 6th gearing will come into play after 250Kph, it is irrelevent to look at data before 250Kph so I will compare runs from 250-300Kph against each other to zoom in more into the data and make it easier to read.

Here is the zoomed graph showing 250-300Kph with stock gearing as above. Speed 250-300 Kph, time is about 9.2-9.3s and distance covered 709 Meters. The reason the blue line drops downwards during the shift is because of wind resistence, having a negative -1.49 m/Sec Sq. impact on the car's movement during the ca 0.45 seconds it takes to shift from 5th to 6th. at around 270 Kph.

And here is the data with shorter gearing. The gear used is the shortest possible while allowing for the Rt12 to still reach 300Kph, which is a ratio of 0.87, permitting a max speed of about 303 Kph. Anything shorter than this will not reach 300 Kph.

The data is as follows for the shorter gear:
    250-300Kph in ca 8.5 seconds, distance of about 650 feet.
    And here is the difference between both runs:

As you can see the best possible performance gain is about 0.75 seconds with shorter gearing, and the distance covered will be reduced by 60 meters during that time difference. This is perfectly consistent with my earlier statements, that in order to achieve a 2 second reduction in its 0-300Kph run, the RT12 would need to cover the distance in about 150 meters less. In any case that assumption is impossible according to this data, since I a have used the shortest possible gear ratio, and not getting close to the 2 seconds stated.

This data has also been simulated by my personal performance model, however, unlike the data posted before, it has been cross checked and validated with real datalogs of a Porsche car running slightly better times than the RT12, up to 250Kph (Graph and data all available to share). The rest (250-300Kph) is very easily extrapolated, since all the datapoints from 100-250Kph have been extremely accurately calculated by the model with variances (vs. real datalogs) in speed and distance being around 0.2% from 100-250Kph.

I have also shown earlier real data comparing several runs from different cars at different speeds and distances and all what is posted is very consistent.

If there is any mistake in the data, I will be happy to correct it.

Obviously all this data takes into consideration all the parameters impacting acceleration such as gearing , engine, aerodynamics, and many motion dynamics formulas, some of which were posted before by AAH.

Ready now for the next round of insults!

I thought the question was: how far away is the faster car when the slower one hits 300km/h?

And I thought the question was about the pros and cons of a cargraphic powerkit?!

Quote:
    LAT said:
    Now that the high jack has come to a conclusion can we get the topic back to its origins?

Quote:
    bob997tt said:
    And I thought the question was about the pros and cons of a cargraphic powerkit?!

Cheers guys - thanks for remembering that far back

In a vein attempt to try to get back to my original question, here's some links containing RC's input on Cargraphic:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Number=287132

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Number=293628

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Number=349939

So I think I will indeed go the Cargraphic tuning route when I get my Turbo next year as RS Tuning seems to be very highly rated.

The next things I need to figure out is:

a) Which of the 3 exhaust loudness types to go with (I know Atomic for example has the loudest 'export' version)?
    b) Do I also fit the Racing Headers and Progressive Rate Lowering Springs?
    c) Do I run in the car first or take the car straight to Parr?
    d) Do I just wait and see what Porsche bring out for their X50 kit, and then just add the Cargraphic exhaust?

Hmmmm

I heard the Porsche kit wasn't available til 09?

Let us know how you get on, I tried an email to Parr, they didn't reply...

I have the middle volume exhaust and love it. My only issue is a resonance at 125 Hz which has abated by 3 db from a 10 db spike. I have just over 800 miles or 1,300 km on the system.

Fit and finish is as expected, excellent.

Quote:
    bob997tt said:
    I heard the Porsche kit wasn't available til 09?

Let us know how you get on, I tried an email to Parr, they didn't reply...

Try...

Quote:
    Lawrence Stockwell
    Parr Business Manager
    lawrencestockwell@parr-uk.co.uk
    http://www.parr-uk.co.uk/

Laurence has been very responsive thus far to me.

As for the X50 kit I heard approx mid 2008, but maybe non-retrofittable.

Quote:
    LAT said:
    I have the middle volume exhaust and love it. My only issue is a resonance at 125 Hz which has abated by 3 db from a 10 db spike. I have just over 800 miles or 1,300 km on the system.

Fit and finish is as expected, excellent.

Didn't RC initially complain about the noise on his, saying that he hoped it would get better after it burns in? Or did I imagine that?! Perhaps he had the quietest version though

Alex

RC had the same resonance as far as I can tell. His went away after 3,000 Km, I am almost halfway there and it has started to subside. I measure mine on a IVIE-33 spectrum analyzer to get a objective result.

Alex
    Do you have any noise measurements for the three different exhausts. If you want to to do track days in the UK then you generally have to be able to pass a static noise test with max 105db. Currently I am torn betweeen Tubi and cargraphic as both systems have their supporters

Quote:
    bobfair said:
    Alex
    Do you have any noise measurements for the three different exhausts. If you want to to do track days in the UK then you generally have to be able to pass a static noise test with max 105db. Currently I am torn betweeen Tubi and cargraphic as both systems have their supporters

I don't I'm afraid. Perhaps LAT could measure the Db level on his middle loudness exhaust? And if Atomic is listening then perhaps he could do the same for his loud version?

Quote:
    bobfair said:
    Currently I am torn betweeen Tubi and cargraphic as both systems have their supporters

I need to find more clips of Cargraphic exhaust but here's one for Tubi:

http://blurbdesigns.fileburst.com/scuderiasystems/media/Dn5KKCbq/P997-02.wmv

When measured at idle with the SA mic. 1 meter from the back bumper the average level is 87.5 db with 2 spikes one at 63 Hz and one at 125 Hz/

This is the Cargraphic export loud one:

http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/data/downloads/9c/08/00/P97TETS.mp3

Alex, no offense but a sound byte does not tell you relative db.

Quote:
    LAT said:
    Alex, no offense but a sound byte does not tell you relative db.

Not my intent to measure decibells

Clips were just for sound comparisons for Bob

Only a few words (I'm kind of in a hurry):
    stage 1 of the Cargraphic (RS-Tuning) kit should be just fine regarding reliability. Right now, I wouldn't go for more on the 997 Turbo.

Our US friends who make fun of the power output seem to forget that the Cargraphic kit is fully street legal in Germany, incl. environmental but also noise laws. It also means that it has been approved by german TÜV for street usage, meaning that it is also safe regarding high speed driving.

RS-Tuning, the tuner who is actually responsible for the Cargraphic kit development, is THE Porsche tuner in Germany and takes care of professional tuning of 911 Turbo used for professional racing in international series.
    I wonder how many US tuners have actually driven their tuned 911 Turbo in an international racing series?!
    Or even for a single minute on the Autobahn or at top speed?!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Only a few words (I'm kind of in a hurry):
    stage 1 of the Cargraphic (RS-Tuning) kit should be just fine regarding reliability. Right now, I wouldn't go for more on the 997 Turbo.

Our US friends who make fun of the power output seem to forget that the Cargraphic kit is fully street legal in Germany, incl. environmental but also noise laws. It also means that it has been approved by german TÜV for street usage, meaning that it is also safe regarding high speed driving.

RS-Tuning, the tuner who is actually responsible for the Cargraphic kit development, is THE Porsche tuner in Germany and takes care of professional tuning of 911 Turbo used for professional racing in international series.
    I wonder how many US tuners have actually driven their tuned 911 Turbo in an international racing series?!
    Or even for a single minute on the Autobahn or at top speed?!

Sorry to revive this massive thread but has anyone fitted one of the Cargraphic Powerkit options yet and can give some feedback?

I am going to get the Cargrphic Exhaust now that Porsche aren't going to release a PSE in the near future. Debating what else to get with it though...

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Powerkit 1 looks pretty good to me:

> CG Powerkit site <

Nice jump in torque!

Having this fitted this week.

Just noticed something though. The baseline stock torque gets up to 620Nm, which is exactly what Normal mode is. Sport mode being 680Nm.

I am wondering if the Cargraphic 800Nm is with Sport on or off

I know the remap sits on-top of the original map, so Sport mode works the same as it did before. So does that mean Normal mode = 740Nm torque, or does it mean Sport mode = 860Nm torque???? I would guess the former.

Either way, I think I will be driving around in Normal mode unless on a track!! I do get the added benefits of TC and PSM not being water-down for the public streets in Normal mode I suppose.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803265 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448587 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266146 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6615 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885747 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833330 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM