Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cargraphic powerkit

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Please, correct me if I missed anything.

Er....you missed my graph above !

We have done this and between 100 and 300kph one car was 1.7s quicker.
    By the end of the run this amounted to 130m.
    the horizontal axis on the graph is distance in km and vertical speed in mph
    You don't have to keep keyboard speculating -we have DONE this for you !

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I did not miss your graph, but your interpretation seems to be incorrect. Tell me, how can there be 130 metres of distance between you two when the total time difference is only 1.7 seconds?

What I can see from your graph is only that your car was at around 180 mph when Guy reached 185 mph - that will NOT equate 130 metres of distance between you two.

EDIT: Those 130 metres seem to simply indicate that your car reached 300 km/h 130 metres later than Guy's GT2. That DOES NOT equate to a 130 metres difference between you two.

Did you do the run side-by-side or are you extrapolating your data from the numbers on two different runs? At this moment my keyboard seems much more accurate than your claims.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I did not miss your graph, but your interpretation seems to be incorrect. Tell me, how can there be 130 metres of distance between you two when the total time difference is only 1.7 seconds?

What I can see from your graph is only that your car was at around 180 mph when Guy reached 185 mph - that will NOT equate 130 metres of distance between you two.

EDIT: Those 130 metres seem to simply indicate that your car reached 300 km/h 130 metres later than Guy's GT2. That DOES NOT equate to a 130 metres difference between you two.

Did you do the run side-by-side or are you extrapolating your data from the numbers on two different runs? At this moment my keyboard seems much more accurate than your claims.

Crash is 100% correct. The question is not after which distance each car reaches 300kph. The question is: how far behind is the slower car (compared to the faster car) when the slower car reaches 300kph. The answer is a m figure much smaller than the figure you derived on the basis of the above chart.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Crash is 100% correct. The question is not after which distance each car reaches 300kph. The question is: how far behind is the slower car (compared to the faster car) when the slower car reaches 300kph. The answer is a m figure much smaller than the figure you derived on the basis of the above chart.

Agreed .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Here is a way to calculate that distance:
    car A: 0-300km/h in 25 sec
    car B: 0-300km/h in 23 sec

300km/h= 83.33 m/s

to calculate the distance traveled by car A:
    D=(VF+V0) X T/2
    D= 83.33 X 25/2= 1041.62 meters traveled

for car B:
    D= 83.33 X 23/2= 958.29 meters traveled

The question is how far is car B, when the slower car A hits 300km/h at 25 seconds? to get that, you need the acceleration of the faster car B which is the following:
    a= (Vf-V0)/T which is= 83.33/23= 3.623 m/s2
    so, between 23s and 25 seconds, the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 3.62m/s2 which means in 2 seconds its speed went from 83.33m/s to 90.57m/s.
    the distance that car B traveled by 25 seconds is:
    D=90.57 x 25/2= 1132.12 meters.

so assuming constant acceleration for car B, AT 25 SEC. into the race, car A is at 300km/h and traveled 1041.62 meters and car B is now doing 326km/h and is at 1132.12 meters which is 90.5 meters ahead (that's a bit more than a few car lenghts).
    What do you think?

Quote:
    Crash said:GT2ETR, you don't understand. What Markus has stated is completely correct. A car travelling at 300 km/h is covering 83,1 metres per second, thus your 166,2 m difference speculation. However, there is a huge problem with such speculation. First of all, your deduction demands that the first car is doing 300 km/h while the other vehicle is standing still - things just don't work this way.

Crash, I will not comment on style and will keep this technical.

You and Markus are missing the point. When RUF says that by shortening 6th gear you will gain 2 seconds on a 0-300kph run, they are wrong, and if it was HP Lieb, with all my respects, he is wrong too.

Markus subsequently changed to say that the 2 seconds was as a result of changing ALL the gears, that stands a slight chance of being more accurate, but nevertheless very unlikely too.

Don't get too involved in theory, other than Speed = distance/time, and that will not change!! Standing still or not, 2 runs with different cars, at different times on different roads, all of this does not matter, Speed = distance/time. That distance will vary somewhat depending on the acceleration rate of both cars between speeds, but will not change much!

TB993TT has posted a graph showing two cars running up to 300kph with a time difference of less than 2 seconds, and a distance of over 100 meters, this should be proof enough for you, regardless if the runs were made at the same time or not, that is totally irrelevant, physics are physics!

In case this is not enough for you and Markus to believe, I can post another 10 graphs showing cars running from standstill to 160kph, or 200kph, or rolling starts from 100-200kph etc, and you will see that the physics prevail!

Here are some FYI:

Car A: 0-160kph in 7.47s- Distance: 162 meters
    Car B: 0-160kph in 9.63s- Distance: 256 meters
    Difference: 94 meters in 2.16 seconds at 160kph.

Car A: 100-200kph: 5.6 s- 246 meters
    Car B: 100-200kph: 6.4 s- 274 meters
    Difference: 28 meters in 0.8 seconds at 200kph

Car A: 100-250kph: 12.1 s- 634 meters
    Car B: 100-250kph: 15.7s- 782 meters
    Difference: 148 meters in 3.6 seconds at 250kph

Let me know if you would like me to post any of the data above.

I can also get entangled with you on formulas and exact acceleration rates of the RT12 in the last 100kph (200-300kph) etc.. but I do not see the point, if you are not willing to accept all the proof and data presented to you, there is not much one can do to convince you.

Quote:
    Crash said:....a distance of 30 metres (around 5 car lengths) seems conceivable to me and Ruf are most likely telling the truth...........Please, correct me if I missed anything.

No, it is not possible, and I hope the correction came from the data posted above.

If all the above is not enough, I strongly suggest you get in your cars and do some real life tests with data at hand.

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

300km/h= 83.33 m/s

D=(VF+V0) X T/2

for car B:

The question is how far is car B, when the slower car A hits 300km/h at 25 seconds? to get that, you need the acceleration of the faster car B which is the following:
    so, between 23s and 25 seconds, the faster car was accelerating at a rate of 3.62m/s2 which means in 2 seconds its speed went from 83.33m/s to 90.57m/s.

so assuming constant acceleration for car B, AT 25 SEC. into the race, car A is at 300km/h and traveled 1041.62 meters and car B is now doing 326km/h and is at 1132.12 meters which is 90.5 meters ahead (that's a bit more than a few car lenghts).
    What do you think?

Your calculation seems to yield distorted results

25s for 0-300 translate (verified by a real world test) into roughly 1200m (not 1040m)... Anyhow, your result is much closer to my 30m figure than the numbers posted before. I hope that the the next iteration might get even closer to my result

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:GT2ETR, you don't understand. What Markus has stated is completely correct. A car travelling at 300 km/h is covering 83,1 metres per second, thus your 166,2 m difference speculation. However, there is a huge problem with such speculation. First of all, your deduction demands that the first car is doing 300 km/h while the other vehicle is standing still - things just don't work this way.

You and Markus are missing the point. When RUF says that by shortening 6th gear you will gain 2 seconds on a 0-300kph run, they are wrong, and if it was HP Lieb, with all my respects, he is wrong too.

Markus subsequently changed to say that the 2 seconds was as a result of changing ALL the gears, that stands a slight chance of being more accurate, but nevertheless very unlikely too.

Don't get too involved in theory, other than Speed = distance/time, and that will not change!! Standing still or not, 2 runs with different cars, at different times on different roads, all of this does not matter, Speed = distance/time. That distance will vary somewhat depending on the acceleration rate of both cars between speeds, but will not change much!

TB993TT has posted a graph showing two cars running up to 300kph with a time difference of less than 2 seconds, and a distance of over 100 meters, this should be proof enough for you, regardless if the runs were made at the same time or not, that is totally irrelevant, physics are physics!

In case this is not enough for you and Markus to believe, I can post another 10 graphs showing cars running from standstill to 160kph, or 200kph, or rolling starts from 100-200kph etc, and you will see that the physics prevail!

Here are some FYI:

I can also get entangled with you on formulas and exact acceleration rates of the RT12 in the last 100kph (200-300kph) etc.. but I do not see the point, if you are not willing to accept all the proof and data presented to you, there is not much one can do to convince you.

Quote:
    Crash said:....a distance of 30 metres (around 5 car lengths) seems conceivable to me and Ruf are most likely telling the truth...........Please, correct me if I missed anything.

No, it is not possible, and I hope the correction came from the data posted above.

If all the above is not enough, I strongly suggest you get in your cars and do some real life tests with data at hand.

My dear friend, yo start getting on my nervs. You did not interpret the chart posted above correctly. If you read my above post (commenting the chart) you are likely to agree on this statement. Also, I would kindly ask you again not to repeat BS after you have been illustrated that other posters have simply superior information. Thanks.

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    Quote:

Here are some FYI:

Quote:

Compelling formulas, but please, do get entangled with me on the final 100 km/h of acceleration, as this is where the shorter gearing helps (because of the sheer power of the cars there is probably no difference at all between them until AT LEAST 200 km/h). Personally, I would like Markus to get the 0-200, 0-250 and 0-300 km/h data for the cars, which would make it much easier.

But for all the mathematical formulas, let me ask you this: If you have two cars, which will accelerate identically up to 290 km/h and then the first one will obtain the remaining 10 km/h two seconds faster than the second one - do you really see the difference as being 130 metres? I don't and I'm sure you don't either.

Now, regarding TB993tt's graph, what it shows is only the fact that his 993 reaches 300 km/h 130 metres after the GT2 does. It does not mean that he is lagging so much behind it (sure, if they kept accelerating, he would, but not at such a short distance). I have no doubt in physics (as I know how to calculate these things and know how the numbers should look like), so in this case I am taking Ruf's claims and comparing them with the calculations.

IMO the acceleration difference between the two cars only becomes truly evident at above 200 km/h, so I took this as an example (I would really like to get all the acceleration data through thedifferent speed ranges so we can make a more accurate calculation):

Rt12 SHORT:
    10.0 s 0-200 km/h
    22.0 s 0-300 km/h

Rt12 STANDARD:
    10.0 s 0-250 km/h
    24.0 s 0-300 km/h

Results?

830,976 m for the shorty and 807,36 m for the standard (in the time it takes the shorty version to reach 300 km/h from 250). Not a huge difference, is it?

Your point is absolutely correct in that acceleration is not linear - but that does make a huge difference, because we aren't talking about linear speed here.

As for real-life testing, I absolutely applaud you guys for taking the cars out there and doing tests, but next time, please, PLEASE also do the time, so that one can identify the exact distance the car has travelled at the exact second throughout the run.

In any case, physics support what Ruf have told Markus - 30 metres does roughly correspond with 5 car lengths.

And for anybody being offended by my "style", that was not my intent and I apologize for that.

In any case, thanks guys for making me use my high-school physics again!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Personally, I would like Markus to get the 0-200, 0-250 and 0-300 km/h data for the cars, which would make it much easier.

Here you go:

997TT:
    0-200: 12.5s
    0-250: 21s
    0-300: 41s

599GTB:
    0-200: 11s
    0-250: 17.5s
    0-300: 31s

RT12: (with shorter gearing)
    0-200: 9.5s
    0-250: 14.5s
    0-300: 23s

RT12: (with longer gearing)
    0-200: 9.5s
    0-250: 15s
    0-300: 25s

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

300km/h= 83.33 m/s

D=(VF+V0) X T/2

for car B:

What do you think?

aah986, yes, your calculations are absolutely correct, but starting velocity should be 200 km/h (due to the cars being identically fast up to that speed).

Quote:
    Crash said:
    IMO the acceleration difference between the two cars only becomes truly evident at above 200 km/h, so I took this as an example (I would really like to get all the acceleration data through thedifferent speed ranges so we can make a more accurate calculation):

Rt12 SHORT:
    10.0 s 0-200 km/h
    22.0 s 0-300 km/h

Rt12 STANDARD:
    10.0 s 0-250 km/h
    24.0 s 0-300 km/h

Results?

830,976 m for the shorty and 807,36 m for the standard (in the time it takes the shorty version to reach 300 km/h from 250). Not a huge difference, is it?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    In any case, physics support what Ruf have told Markus - 30 metres does roughly correspond with 5 car lengths.

Actually, Ruf told me the 2s. I calculated the 30m...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

A man who knows his math .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Rt12 SHORT:
    10.0 s 0-200 km/h
    22.0 s 0-300 km/h

Rt12 STANDARD:
    10.0 s 0-250 km/h
    24.0 s 0-300 km/h

Results?

Just saw two typos there. 250 km/h should read 200 km/h . That aside, everything else is fine and dandy and, most of all, dead accurate .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Not as good as you, I am afraid

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Not as good as you, I am afraid

Now that's a compliment .

my cgt go from 100-300 in 17.2s and from 100-310 in 19.7s in the speedo ( 2 passengers .. 30*c.. 9200 km ..1/2 tank) .

0-300= 17.2+ 3.8= 21s (speedo)
    0-310=19.7 + 3.8 = 23.5 (speedo) !

Then your CGT is the world fastest stock CGT...

Quote:
    CGT1178 said:
    my cgt go from 100-300 in 17.2s and from 100-310 in 19.7s in the speedo ( 2 passengers .. 30*c.. 9200 km ..1/2 tank) .

You need one of these -cheap, dead easy to use and pretty accurate.http://www.driftbox.com/
    Did you notice your 100-200kph time going off the speedo ?

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Quote:
    CGT1178 said:

You need one of these -cheap, dead easy to use and pretty accurate.http://www.driftbox.com/
    Did you notice your 100-200kph time going off the speedo ?

Those times are way too fast, I agree.

yes .. 5.5 s (speedo) ..
    thank you so much for the wedsite
    can i calculate from 0-300km/h or 100-300km/h with the driftbox ?

OK, someone hand me a large slice of humble pie

Through the haze of a hangover the penny has dropped and I have crunched the numbers:

What you (cleverer than me) guys are saying is that when the two cars accelerate side by side from 200kph, when the slower car hits 300kph after 19.3s running (in my example) where is the faster car.
    I crunched the AX software and you are right it is only 20m ahead doing (at that instant) 304.8kph.

Similarly when the faster car hits 300kph the slower car is doing 294.6kph and there is 16m between them.

Ah....enlightenment

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Through the haze of a hangover the penny has dropped and I have crunched the numbers:

What you (cleverer than me) guys are saying is that when the two cars accelerate side by side from 200kph, when the slower car hits 300kph after 19.3s running (in my example) where is the faster car.
    I crunched the AX software and you are right it is only 20m ahead doing (at that instant) 304.8kph.

Similarly when the faster car hits 300kph the slower car is doing 294.6kph and there is 16m between them.

Ah....enlightenment

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Ah....enlightenment

Yeah, the difference becomes smaller once both cars are already doing 200 km/h once the difference starts showing. 3 seconds in 0-200 km/h acceleration truly means the world as you have shown with your calculations, but acceleration invariably slows down at high speeds, so a few seconds of difference don't really mean all that much anymore.

In any case, thanks for a good debate .

Guys, Non linear acceleration -gets me every time

Re the drift box -it is a very easy to use tool and can read off whatever increments you want, it will display it on the roll as well so you don't have to tool around with software if you don't want.
    Here is a clip of the software in a 60-130mph run I did in my CGT, driver only 100-200kph was 6.82s so you can see the speedo/stopwatch method leaves a little room for error

i will buy it and i will show you my cgt numbers

As an extra treat for all the people who followed the AMS high-speed test of the Turbo and the Z06, I just did a short calculation. Nick Berry claimed that the Z06 accelerated fast enough in the lower speed ranmges to offset the Turbo's superior acceleration at higher speeds:

Here are the distance results for 40.7 seconds:

997TT: 2446,75 m

Z06: 2354,04 m

Now I don't have to tell you twice that the Turbo wins the distance duel .

MKSGR

If I am getting on your nerves go take a cold shower and come back to have a conversation like an adult.

Crash, I am afraid I am not understanding your post. I am the first one to accept I was wrong if I am, I just don't see it just yet.

It would help me better if you can clarify 1) whether the 807meters and 830meters are data extrapolated from datalogger, 2) were these measurements taken from the same car with "normal" then "shorter" 6th gear, and 3) this data is from what kph to what kph.

Any idea as to what the shorter 6th gear was, if that's the case?

I will get to the last 100kph discussion following my understanding of the above.

Cheers

Quote:
    GT2ETR said:
    MKSGR

If I am getting on your nerves go take a cold shower and come back to have a conversation like an adult.

Crash, I am afraid I am not understanding your post. I am the first one to accept I was wrong if I am, I just don't see it just yet.

It would help me better if you can clarify 1) whether the 807meters and 830meters are data extrapolated from datalogger, 2) were these measurements taken from the same car with "normal" then "shorter" 6th gear, and 3) this data is from what kph to what kph.

Any idea as to what the shorter 6th gear was, if that's the case?

I will get to the last 100kph discussion following my understanding of the above.

Cheers

No, these are simple calculations. Look, both Rt12 versions will do an identical 0-200 km/h time (there is just too much power for the gearing to matter in that range). AFter that, the short-geared version will SLOWLY start to pull away. Remember, these figures are a projection for acceleration from 200 km/h onwards. Since acceleration slows tremendously after 200 km/h, the 2-second difference won't translate into 100 metres as it would at slower speeds, but into no more than 30 metres.

Not sure whether I am explaining this coherently or not, but this is all a byproduct of the fact that the Ruf Rt12 will accelerate at close to 4 m/s from 100 to 200 km/h, so a difference of two seconds here would mean a big gap, while acceleration averaging just over 2 m/s for the shorty Rt12 and just under 2 m/s for the standard Rt12 from 200 to 300 km/h means that the difference will be MUCH smaller at the end.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806272 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449446 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7171 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887130 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835826 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM