Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

UK Rennteamers meet Porsche Jeck

I thought some of you may be interested to hear that some of us Rennteamers defied the torrential rain and got together over the weekend. Porsche-Jeck and his wife have been touring Denmark (where they met up with Dr Phil), Norway, England and Wales on holiday. I hope Porsche-Jeck will post some photos and an account of his travels in due course.

So when they reached Beaulieu, near the South coast of the UK, dreamcar and I (together with our wives) spent some time with them. dreamcar and Porsche Jeck enjoyed dinner on Saturday evening after dreamcar's visit to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

On Sunday, from their hotel in Beaulieu, the Montagu Arms Hotel, we all went for a drive for about 1.5 hours in the surrounding areas and the New Forest. All the while it was raining unfortunately but we didn't let that dampen our spirits!

http://www.montaguarmshotel.co.uk/home.asp

It was so cool with dreamcar leading the Porsche convoy in his Cobalt Blue/Sea Blue 987S, Porsche Jeck sandwiched in the middle in his Seal Grey/Cocoa 987S and me bringing up the rear in my GT Silver/Cocoa 997S. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the view from behind of those Boxster S's sprinting ahead in front of me. What a beautiful car the 987S is!

We then had a great lunch at the Cart and Horses, which is a country pub and restaurant in Kings Worthy, near Winchester. Following that, we had another drive of about 1 hour.

http://thecartandhorses.com

I hope dreamcar can give more details of the route we took on each of our two drives and that Porsche Jeck will post some photos of our convoy. As we were leaving we got a toot of the horn and a thumbs up from a Lotus Exige S driver. I guess it was pretty obvious we were part of a Porsche convoy even though there were only three cars!

A big, big thank you to dreamcar and his wife for coming up with some great routes for us to drive on and for arranging lunch. The views (even in the rain) of the New Forest were breathtaking. Unfortunately I didn't take photos in such continuous rain...

I had to return to London after that in some shocking driving conditions. Heavy rain caused a lot of local flooding and there were plenty of moments when I feared my 997S might aquaplane in the heavy pools of surface water but, the car did the business admirably with no fuss. Isn't that why we buy a Porsche? All in all, I drove 296 miles in some really, really atrociously wet driving conditions.

Today, Porsche Jeck and his wife are due to head towards London where we'll be spending some more time with them.

All the best,
    Easy

Re: UK Rennteamers meet Porsche Jeck

Thanks a lot, Easy! Please tell the road warriors hello for me. Sounds like a very good time. I hope Throt is able to meet up with you guys too.

Great,

Nice to read rennteam is becoming more than just an internet-thingy!
    I feel an international Rennteam-meeting coming up!

Keep up the good work guys

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Great,

Nice to read rennteam is becoming more than just an internet-thingy!
    I feel an international Rennteam-meeting coming up!

Keep up the good work guys

I'm in for this!
    Isn't belgium not a central place in europe?
    Just inbetween englisch and german renteamers?

Just hope the weather has not affected Porsche-Jeck's and his Spouse's vacation too much. It looks like it's really wet in the UK today.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I hope dreamcar can give more details of the route we took on each of our two drives

..as requested, herewith map (route in green). We headed west from Beaulieu across Beaulieu Heath to Brockenhurst, then picked up the Rhinefield Ornamental Drive underneath the largest (Douglas Firs) and oldest tree (Knightwood Oak) in the Forest. Then drove under the A31, over to Landford. Here we headed east on A36 and due to our running late for our lunch at the Cart & Horses, joined the M27 east bound then North up the M3 to Kingsworthy, just east of Winchester. After lunch we headed north again along the A33, the old main road to London before the M3 was built, now deserted. Then A303 west before heading south west towards the River Test Valley at Stockbridge, South down the valley to just north of Romsey. Then east, past the world famous Hillier Arboretum, then east and North through Hursley to Winchester. Here we said cheerio to easy, who headed north back to London, porsche-jeck and us went back down to the South Coast, went past Lepe Beach at the mouth of the Beaulieu River in a vain attempt to get a glimpse of the Solent and the Isle of Wight through the torrential rain. Quick cup of tea at the Dreamcar home, we then said a fond farewell to Porsche-jeck who headed back to his hotel in Beaulieu.

Many thanks to porsche-jeck and easy and their partners for an enjoyable day and for making the best of the atrocious weather, a great drive and I look forward to meeting up again hopefully in the near future, when we can but hope the weather will be kinder!

No pictures of the group? A missed opportunity.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    No pictures of the group? A missed opportunity.

Monsoon weather - but I know porsche-jeck's taken some pictures - give the poor guy a chance to get home!

@ porker & beltar - definitely interested in an International meet - however various attempts here have not materialised. I'm all for a run found the Ardennes, Black Forest and maybe the 'ring. Just avoid that Kennedy Tunnel in Antwerp...

Yup, an international meet would be great!

Porsche-Jeck and his wife came over to my place in London yesterday afternoon. I was still at work but joined them afterwards. We all then went out for dinner at a local Indian restaurant. After that we headed back to my place again for drinks. On the way, we went through the Limehouse Tunnel which was empty so we bombed it through making full use of the opportunity to really enjoy the sound of the PSE. After a pleasant evening chatting, we then said our goodbyes to our friends from Germany

@dreamcar: thanks very much for posting the map! Now I know the route for the next time I visit...

@beltar: meeting in Belgium is fine - just as long as we head into Germany from there to do some driving with no speed limits!

We live near the belgian coast, but i have an old roadbook (from a previous p-trip) that connects the circuit of Spa Francorchamps to the Nordschleife via small beautiful ardennes-roads!
    The only problem at this point is finding a gap in my diary... july, august and september are fully booked...

if anyone is visiting Austria let me know!

Quote:
    nick1 said:

Many thanks it's a country I'd love to visit. Unfortunately no spare holiday-time left this year.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    nick1 said:

Many thanks it's a country I'd love to visit. Unfortunately no spare holiday-time left this year.

i've been in a lot of place (incl some years in london) and can say, that austria is really nice! good mountain roads too.!

Quote:
    nick1 said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    nick1 said:

i've been in a lot of place (incl some years in london) and can say, that austria is really nice! good mountain roads too.!

Nick, where in Austria are you?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nick1 said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    nick1 said:

Nick, where in Austria are you?

i'm in vienna, but will be going to kitzbühel this summer for some fine partys with lederhosen! very recommendable and highlingt of the year!

cheers

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

Monsoon weather - but I know porsche-jeck's taken some pictures - give the poor guy a chance to get home!

The poor guy is back home
    When we arrived at the white cliffs near Dover yesterday we decided to hop on the ferry to Calais as the weather seemed to remain quite British
    We hit continental soil at 6 pm, at 9:45 pm we enjoyed dinner at our favourite Italian restaurant near our place
    It has been a great trip, adding 5,400 km (of which 50% on the wrong side of the street ) to the clock of our beloved Boxey
    Full trip report and tons of pics will follow later.
    I also will add some pics to this thread providing evidence that a P-car can even serve as a submarine Thanks for this thread to Easy and Dreamcar: it's so nice returning from the trip and spotting this thread

The warm hospitality of Dr.Phil, Dreamcar and Easy-Rider was fantastic - true friends and true Porsche-nuts: if the wifeys know all the Porsche colour combos by heart (not to speak of Easy, who knows how to pronounce all the P-options in proper German) you instantly feel at home

Of course all these wonderful encounters in real life never would have happened without this great forum, which I missed for the last three weeks - cheers on Rennteam

Thanks to everybody who made these great suggestions where to go and what to see during our trip
    Special thanks goes to Fritz - I'm a proud of owner of a pair of excellent English shoes now

Welcome back Glad you got home safely. A real shame about the atrocious weather, tonight we are expecting yet more rain and the weekend forecast is a repeat of last weekend's weather. Greatly enjoyed yours (and easy's) company Look forward to seeing your pics in due course, easy and I failed miserably on that score

Welcome home Porsche-Jeck! So sorry you had the worst of the wet weather we've been suffering with in the UK. Hope you still had an amazing trip though...

BTW, it has still been raining for a little while at least every day since you left!

Hey, Easy. Hope you didn't embarrass the brits by letting them sample "southern" beer!

31st Aug. - 2nd Sept. All meet at the Ring. Oh look, coincidently I'm there on those dates.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Hey, Easy. Hope you didn't embarrass the brits by letting them sample "southern" beer!

I'm spending three days a week in Leeds at the moment - certainly not impressed with the Tetley's in the local hostelry - I've tasted better ditchwater. Need to find a pub serving Theakston's or Black Sheep....

Guys, you need to move away from the commercial breweries and try real ale!

Check out the campaign for real ale on google

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Guys, you need to move away from the commercial breweries and try real ale!

Check out the campaign for real ale on google

Theakston's / Black Sheep IS real ale.

Down my neck of the woods we have Ringwood and Gales (I much prefer the former)

Quote:
    dreamcar said:Down my neck of the woods we have Ringwood and Gales (I much prefer the former)

Me too. Haven't had a pint of Old Thumper for years though.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:Down my neck of the woods we have Ringwood and Gales (I much prefer the former)

Me too. Haven't had a pint of Old Thumper for years though.

I prefer Ringwood Best to Old Thumper...in the same way I prefer Black Sheep Best to Riggwelter or Theakston's Best to Old Peculiar.

Nah, gimme Ye Olde Sock from the Highlands. I prefer OId Sock to Brownwater Ale, and Nasty Flanagan Fine to Crooked Vixen. Then again, I always liked the Tight Sheep and never said no to a Muldoon Dipper.
    But on tthe other hand I prefer a glass of Twiggsmaid Floon with a twist of Mechlallan's Honey Seagull. Aaah, yes - I fancy me a Ballantine's Ballgrinder Bitter.
    Ever tried a Shanannannanaha-flaah Tuxton Fling? Aaaah!

I thought that'd set someone off, ridiculing our esteemed beer brewing industry. Might have known it would be you Doc. And if you have my Tight Sheep, can I have her back please?

And @DC - It's Peculier, as you well know. Slip of the keyboard I hope! (A Peculier is a job function, chief brewer/taster something like that!)

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    And if you have my Tight Sheep, can I have her back please?
    Quote:

You Welsh?

Quote:

And @DC - It's Peculier, as you well know. Slip of the keyboard I hope! (A Peculier is a job function, chief brewer/taster something like that!)

Just testing oh beer anorak. I have an Old Peculi E r anti-clockwise clock above my PC at home...

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Nah, gimme Ye Olde Sock from the Highlands. I prefer OId Sock to Brownwater Ale, and Nasty Flanagan Fine to Crooked Vixen. Then again, I always liked the Tight Sheep and never said no to a Muldoon Dipper.
    But on tthe other hand I prefer a glass of Twiggsmaid Floon with a twist of Mechlallan's Honey Seagull. Aaah, yes - I fancy me a Ballantine's Ballgrinder Bitter.
    Ever tried a Shanannannanaha-flaah Tuxton Fling? Aaaah!

From the land that brought us fizzy lager. Oh dear.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763638 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436048 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260834 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82567 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874409 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808398 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM