Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How to drive stick??

Okay, first of all I know how to drive a manual quite well as the 997 is mine. But I'd like my wife to learn to drive the car and she is terrified of driving stick and probably wouldn't let me teach her. Are there any courses out there that can teach individuals to drive manual? Any help is appreciated. I'm in Oceanside near San Diego. Thanks.

Re: How to drive stick??

Look in the Yelliow pages for local driving schools and ask them if they offer training in driving cars with manual transmissions.

no such luck

just called 5 driving schools off the yellow pages and none offer any type of class or course with manual transmission

Success!

Found one school located in Chula Vista that will teach stick driving, $65 for 2 hours only on Tuesdays!!

Re: no such luck

Rent a car that is a manual. Have her drive around the neighborhood in it once with you to get comfortable, then off on her own for a little while.

Quite honestly, going to a school to learn how to drive a manual is like going to a doctor to get a pimple squeezed...

In my opinion at least...

I gave my 15-year-old stepdaughter her first lesson in driving a manual about a month ago... Grabbed a Ford shop truck with a torquey straight-6, and took her out onto the dirt fire-road around the rear of my building. Learning to start out on dirt or grass is more forgiving, a good way to go to get things started..

Real simple, a bit of time just sitting there with the A/C cranking going over some basics, and then cracking some jokes and getting her relaxed and calmed down. Then depress clutch, shift to 1st, a little bit of gas, slowly let up on the clutch, and jerk-bump-jerk, we're rolling!!

Go 50-100 feet, and tell her to put in the clutch and stop, and start all over again. Must've repeated the process 20 times, going back and forth and doing big U-turns at each end of the road.

Once that was going well, we began practicing starting at one end of the road, and then shifting into 2nd gear... No problem, going great, confidence building...

Within no more than 15-20 minutes from when we began, I had her pulling out onto the public road, and back deeper into the industrial-park area we're in here off the interstate, where there is some traffic, but it's sparse. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 50 mph cruising the backroads behind my building, slow down, turn around, head that way, turn here... We drove around for at least a half hour...

There were a few stalls, a few "hey..hey!..HEY...HEY!!!!" moments, a few breaks in the action to explain how it's not a matter of "process" regarding when to shift, or where to shift, but more a matter of flow and common sense.

Bottom-line, within 1-hour I had a 15-year-old with hardly any real driving experience whatsoever, tooling around decently.... In the time it would take for your wife to drive to a school, she could have already learned...

To teach someone how to drive a stick in a 997 would be rather foolish, as it'd be tough for the student ($hitty low-end torque, TOUGH on the clutch as beginners will do alot of slipping and revving, and high-stress-level if things should go wrong and you go over a curb or into the ditch... Who in their right mind would want to learn to drive stick in someone else's $90K car??), and tough on the teacher as you'd be less relaxed yourself.

We had fun in the truck, laughed alot, the last thing we cared about was the vehicle...

Wow, I would never let a stick beginner drive my Porsche...this is courageous man...

do not teach someone to drive stick on a P car!!!

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Unless it's a rusted 924

Go through the local car ads. Buy a used VW Beetle. Just give her the basics ("that is a clutch") and let her go. Sink or swim. The VW is to keep the costs down. Once she proves her skills with you in the VDub you can lose it and go back to the Porsche.

Dan

69bossnine- thanks for the long response but I don't have the luxury of teaching her on a truck on a dirt road. The only stick we have is in the 997, and I'm not about to go out and buy another car to teach her. The class I find provides a Honda Civic for the 2 hour training. I figure she'll get the worst out on the Civic and then we can move to the 997. What do you all think? I don't have many options here and the bottom line is- if she doesn't learn I'll have to let the car go!!!

are you insane! don't let her drive it! buy her a nice shiny piece of jewelery instead. in the long run it will be cheaper than a new transmission.

Quote:
    sundiego said:
    69bossnine- thanks for the long response but I don't have the luxury of teaching her on a truck on a dirt road. The only stick we have is in the 997, and I'm not about to go out and buy another car to teach her. The class I find provides a Honda Civic for the 2 hour training. I figure she'll get the worst out on the Civic and then we can move to the 997. What do you all think? I don't have many options here and the bottom line is- if she doesn't learn I'll have to let the car go!!!

You should never let someone without years of stick experience, drive a 997.

69bossnine's approach is quite sensible and what a great story he reported! but even after getting the hang of it i would require real time-proven stick experience before graduating to a 997.

Besides stick... the 997 is a quick sports car with a direct steering. Someone used to the lazy sedan is up for trouble on a car like this.

Quote:
    sundiego said:
    What do you all think? I don't have many options here and the bottom line is- if she doesn't learn I'll have to let the car go!!!

How about letting her go?

I think having your wife attend the short driving school IS the best choice at this time, at least she can toy around with a cheaper and more forgiving tranny before moving onto to a difficult one... good luck

this is a question that often comes up on "CARTALK". The hosts usually recommend the learner not even apply any gas, but let the clutch out slowly to learn the clutch engagement point, then building upon this with gear changes and gas along with braking.

Despite this most of the replies to your question is not to cause potential for damage to your car. If you are hell bent on doing so, you can't blame anyone for the likely transmission damage.

What seems very strange is that you present this as a make or break deal..........

If the "target" is to end up having the other person be able to drive your p-car,

Next time the car is in for service, request a manual loaner. you know what to do next

get a honda civic!!

It's not just the gearbox that she's got to get used to, it's the handling, power delivery, traction. What does she drive at the minute? My ex boss trashed her partner's 996 by pulling out of a side turn too fast in the wet, and ended up upside down in a ditch!

Quote:
    sundiego said:
    I don't have many options here and the bottom line is- if she doesn't learn I'll have to let the car go!!!

I dont understand - how on earth did you get into the situation of buying a car that your wife is terrified of driving because she has no experience and now its such a big issue that you have to sell the car???

Didnt any of this dawn on you before you bought it?

Does your previous post stating that you need to sell it to raise cash for your new house have anything to do with the sudden urgency to find a stick-shift excuse for selling the car?

Quote:
    Moogle said:

I learned on my dad's '86 911

don't you have to pass your driving test in a manual car in the states?i have the opposite problem wife never driven an auto before

Quote:
    stewart said:
    don't you have to pass your driving test in a manual car in the states?i have the opposite problem wife never driven an auto before

Of the new cars sold in the US, I would guess that less than 25% are manual. There are many people that don't know how to drive a manual, surprising enough. Luckily for me, my wife hates driving an automatic (or does that make me unlucky, as she is always taking the cab ).

Whatever it takes, if the school is your only option, git-er-dun....

One of my pet peeves, is people who not only do not know how to drive a manual, but stubbornly REFUSE to learn... You've got to really put on your psycho-analyst hat, and do some good thumb-n-forefinger chin-rubbing, to figure out why somebody would be so averse to it, as it's an issue of SAFETY.

What happens if you're out driving, or anywhere for that matter, and something happens to you? It could be anything, from having too much to drink, to an alergic reaction, a heart attack, an injury, you name it...

And there's your wife, helpless, because she never took the 1-2 hours out of her life to become at least minimally-functional driving a manual. It's just ridiculous if you think about it... And then, you have to SELL your car rather than she learn something that's so simple? That just seems ridiculous. Why should you spend every day of your life slugging around in a slushbox, just because your wife can't be stressed with learning to drive? Do you see the inequity?

I can't count how many times I've had to jump on the grenade, and drive some trashed person home, because every dolt in the room had driving abilities limited to "point and shoot". Drives me crazy, and it's due to their loser parents who never bothered to teach them.

Hell, any 10-year old kid with a DIRT BIKE, can jump into a car without having ever driven one, and logic-out "o.k., that's the clutch, the gas, the shifter, the brakes", and probably make it around the neighborhood without too much trouble.

That was me. First time I drove a car, it was a manual. I was 13. I had been riding dirt bikes for several years. I jumped my future stepdad's new 318is with him in the passenger seat, backed up from the garage where I was detailing it for him, put it in first, and pulled right up our STEEP hillside driveway, out of the neighborhood, out to US441, and it was as we were cruising across Paines Prairie he asked me how many times I had driven prior to this, and I replied "umm, never", and he turned white, and suggested that he might drive back...

Quote:
    BSL said:
    Quote:
    stewart said:

Of the new cars sold in the US, I would guess that less than 25% are manual. There are many people that don't know how to drive a manual, surprising enough. Luckily for me, my wife hates driving an automatic (or does that make me unlucky, as she is always taking the cab ).

My 64 year old mother drives a 6-speed 350-Z, and has always loved manual transmissions. The only automatic she really ever liked was her SS/SC 1969 Camaro drag car she raced NHRA for several years in the late-80's

While we're on the subject...

My suggestion is always strive to have nearly zero clutch slip when starting off from a standstill (yeah yeah, you gotta have some slip; try to reduce it AMAP).

It's remarkable how sloppy some guys have gotten when they start off; they overrev and let that clutch slip waaaaay too much.

My daughter learned how to drive a stick on my 996 when she was 13 in a parking lot. She never stalled it. She had been riding with me for many years and watched me carefully. She was already an accomplished go-kart racer at the time so I was not concerned about her losing control in any way. My 12 year old is almost ready to start driving my 997S (no on the street), she is even quicker than her sister in the go-kart at that age. I think it is great to have them learn the type of car control that they get with racing go-karts at a very early age. It also gets their first few crashes out of the way.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    While we're on the subject...

My suggestion is always strive to have nearly zero clutch slip when starting off from a standstill (yeah yeah, you gotta have some slip; try to reduce it AMAP).

It's remarkable how sloppy some guys have gotten when they start off; they overrev and let that clutch slip waaaaay too much.

Oops! Totally IGNORE my suggestion when someone is trying to _learn_ to drive a stick. Beginners seem to require lots of clutch slip in order to get the hang of it.

The easiest way to learn to drives tick? Get her a tractor. That thing has so much torque that you can't stall it (even if you shift into 1st and don't depress the gas pedal, it will just slowly inch forward, like an auto tranny). AFter she has that down, driving a car should be a sinch. Of course a much faster way is to just rent a cheap econo box and devote 15 minutes to it.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    BSL said:
    Quote:
    stewart said:

My 64 year old mother drives a 6-speed 350-Z, and has always loved manual transmissions. The only automatic she really ever liked was her SS/SC 1969 Camaro drag car she raced NHRA for several years in the late-80's

That sounds like one cool mom .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759842 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433902 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259783 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256931 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80616 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805874 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM