Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

rumor to Cayman RS

A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.

Re: rumor to Cayman RS

That would be very cool! Original 1999 360hp GT3 motor, lightflywheel, non-PASM coilovers, adjustable swaybars, LSD, lightweight and not too expensive and I'd be VERY interested...

Quote:
    KF said:
    A friend of mine picked up his new Cayman S in Stuttgart this week. While visiting the factory he saw a big camouflaged Cayman with a 4 pipe exhaust system. He is trustable. He don't kidding me. So maybe we see next year a Cayman RS.

If any body you should know better KF .

Now, that would be a great car.

So amazing that porsche dont actually build this car! This is one of those topics that is covered so many times, and every instance everybody agrees that it would be one hell of a car and a big seller!!!!

Oh and by the way I'll take one too!!!!! Realistically, I dont see any RS coming as that is reserved for the 911 but perhaps a GT model or more likely a turbo?

Maybe they could call it the Cayman R or SR.

That nomenclature been used before by Porsche for special models.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    That would be very cool! Original 1999 360hp GT3 motor, lightflywheel, non-PASM coilovers, adjustable swaybars, LSD, lightweight and not too expensive and I'd be VERY interested...

Way too much power for a Cayman.... It can't overtake a 911......

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    So amazing that porsche dont actually build this car! This is one of those topics that is covered so many times, and every instance everybody agrees that it would be one hell of a car and a big seller!!!!

Oh and by the way I'll take one too!!!!! Realistically, I dont see any RS coming as that is reserved for the 911 but perhaps a GT model or more likely a turbo?

With sales figures dropping Porsche may start coming up with some kick ass products .

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Way too much power for a Cayman.... It can't overtake a 911......

The new facelift 997S will have around 380hp though.

In 1988, the 944 Turbo S was signigicantly faster than the 911...

I think a cheap(er) track focused P car around the Pounds50k mark would do amazing business..

For me that would not make any diff to 911 sales... It would be a natural stepping stone for people who want a GT3 but cant afford the Pounds100k asking price

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    I think a cheap(er) track focused P car around the Pounds50k mark would do amazing business..

I agree, but we'd never get the GT3 MkI motor for that price (too expensive to produce)...

The cayman line is really being held back.

The RUF CTR3 is AMAZING and shows what the layout and shape can do (though I understand it a whole NEW chassis).

We'll wait and see!

Quote:
    RichJ said:

For me that would not make any diff to 911 sales... It would be a natural stepping stone for people who want a GT3 but cant afford the Pounds100k asking price

Yes, I am sure there would be a market for a naked Cayman. I think that could be the way to sell it. With NOTHING. No electric window,no sound insulation. This way it would not compete in any way against a GT3 which can be a daily car.
    Come on Porsche. Cayman + LSD + GT3 MKI engine - "all stuff you do not need on track" = fantastic track toy, provided price remains ok. And this would not likely cannibalize 911s sales.

Quote:
    Cayman + LSD + GT3 MKI engine - "all stuff you do not need on track" = fantastic track toy, provided price remains ok.

I'd consider it as a daily driver

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said: With sales figures dropping Porsche may start coming up with some kick ass products .

How far has Porsche's figures dropped?

Quote:
    KF said:

A big camouflaged Cayman? What does big mean? Maybe he saw a camouflaged Panamera

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    KF said:

A big camouflaged Cayman? What does big mean? Maybe he saw a camouflaged Panamera

thats what i think too...

sure no Turbo for Cayman, so i doubt there will be an RS.

I think they will offer something like a Cayman RS, but my guess is that it won't be labeled "RS" nor will come with signficant power. My speculation is that it will have LSD, perhaps non-PASM adjustable suspension, standard engine with tweaks, and enough minor weight reduction (cloth seats, etc.) to make most 911 owners NOT want one. On the other hand, I would want one; even a modestly focused car would be close enough for me. This is good news, even from the rumor mill.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Quote:
    KF said:

big = very

Definitely it was not a Panamera. The car was small like a Cayman. The engineers hurried to take off the car again

I currently own a C2S Cab., and the only thing which would keep me buying another Porsche would be a Cayman RS, given the GT3 RS are all gone... otherwise the rest of the range are too boring (with the exception of the GT3, but can't buy it with the RS around)...

A 360HP Cayman would be a pure Carrera S killer

Just my 2 cents

Since Porsche is all about the benjamins these days, and they are diversifying their range a lot (making the 911 less of the major bread and butter car), maybe Stuttgart will begin to think outside the box a little bit and give the Cayman some legs. They obviously have to make the Panamera an exceptional car, or it isn't going to sell...at all.

So if we all hold hands and chant "Cayman RS"...maybe it will happen. lol

I think there is room in the range and pent up demand for a Cayman Club Sport.

The likely positioning is improved handling via firmer suspension, weight reduction and safety (eg rear roll cage, 6 point harness etc..) rather than increased engine output.

I expect we'll see something like this in the next 24 months or whenever Cayman sales drop significantly. The current range seems to be doing good business for Porsche at the moment.

S1XXR...an August 07 build date for an RS? Is the suspense killing you? I guess you have the 996 version to keep you warm until then. lol

Quote:
    adrift said:
    S1XXR...an August 07 build date for an RS? Is the suspense killing you? I guess you have the 996 version to keep you warm until then. lol

Correct on both counts! Was a little slow in ordering the RS (Nov 06) so Porsche have kept me waiting! There again driving the 996RS is a fantastic way to pass the time!

Pics, Pics,Pics!!!!
    -Joost-

The cayman is up to 295 bhp in standard trim. With revised fuel injection i guess it would be around the 310 mark. The current carrera 3.8 with powerkit offers 380 hp , so again with new fuelling this could top over 400. Looking at how the cayenne range has had a power hike from revised fuel injection , i think porsche could get a significant hike across the rest of the range without needing to do anything too dramatic.Tuners seem able to get 320 hp from a 3.2 boxster engine without too much effort , so a lightweight and lightly tuned cayman with 350 hp doesnt seem too much of an unrealistic prospect.Porsche just need to get a move on building it before all their customers start buying audis and BMW's with more power !

Quote:
    berty987 said:
    Tuners seem able to get 320 hp from a 3.2 boxster engine without too much effort , so a lightweight and lightly tuned cayman with 350 hp doesnt seem too much of an unrealistic prospect.Porsche just need to get a move on building it before all their customers start buying audis and BMW's with more power !

Exactly I will change my E92 M3 order to the Cayman RS if it does happen...

When I was down visiting the Porsche factory this july, I was waiting at the train station in Stuttgart, and it's right by the highway. I heard a loud, raspy flat-6 bombing by. I looked down and it was a Cayman, but it was painted exactly the same as a GT3 RS. The same orange paint, black accents with the black stripe on the bottom saying "Cayman RS", and I think it had a small-ish, useful, wing. I doubt they'd let it out in the open like that if it was really going to look like that, but it did get my imagination going!

Quote:
    AndyM said:
    When I was down visiting the Porsche factory this july, I was waiting at the train station in Stuttgart, and it's right by the highway. I heard a loud, raspy flat-6 bombing by. I looked down and it was a Cayman, but it was painted exactly the same as a GT3 RS. The same orange paint, black accents with the black stripe on the bottom saying "Cayman RS", and I think it had a small-ish, useful, wing. I doubt they'd let it out in the open like that if it was really going to look like that, but it did get my imagination going!

We need proofs man!!!! where are the pictures?

come on dude... a Cayman RS!!! it would be awesome... I'd trade in my C2S Cab. in heartbeat!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689443 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409148 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255707 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857921 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773962 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM