Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

SL65 AMG

612hp, 1000NM (electronically limited to) 2000rpm-4000rpm.

0-62.5mph in 4.2 seconds, 0-1000m in 21.7 seconds. Top speed completely uinrestricted of 208mph.

Re: SL65 AMG

No words, just amazing.

the 65 AMG series are just stoning!

No words, just amazing.

the 65 AMG series are just stoning!

nearly same performance, i'd prefer a twin turbo V12 over a supercharged V8 anytime and it even does look better than the SLR IMO...

but isn't the SL facelift imminent? my guess is that customers who now buy this car for EUR 200K+, will probably be piXXed if their SL is outdated in under a year's time...

nearly same performance, i'd prefer a twin turbo V12 over a supercharged V8 anytime and it even does look better than the SLR IMO...

but isn't the SL facelift imminent? my guess is that customers who now buy this car for EUR 200K+, will probably be piXXed if their SL is outdated in under a year's time...

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Right, Sönke.
    If somebody is looking for a Mercedes super sports car, the SL65 AMG is definetely the better buy for the money.
    I actually think this is the perfect Roadster.

Yes, the SL facelift is rumored to be pretty near but no details have been made official yet.

And another thing: imagine what a tuner can make out of a bi-turbo charged V12 engine. I'd say that with a few motronic tweaks, the SL65's power output would be in the 700 HP range. I even suspect that Mercedes AMG limited the power of this engine to keep the torque at 1000 Nm and because of the SLR power figure.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

Right, Sönke.
    If somebody is looking for a Mercedes super sports car, the SL65 AMG is definetely the better buy for the money.
    I actually think this is the perfect Roadster.

Yes, the SL facelift is rumored to be pretty near but no details have been made official yet.

And another thing: imagine what a tuner can make out of a bi-turbo charged V12 engine. I'd say that with a few motronic tweaks, the SL65's power output would be in the 700 HP range. I even suspect that Mercedes AMG limited the power of this engine to keep the torque at 1000 Nm and because of the SLR power figure.

The facelift for the SL is scheduled for introduction 1st quarter 2006.

I think I'd preffer the lighter SL55, which has already enough power that this car can handle.

I think I'd preffer the lighter SL55, which has already enough power that this car can handle.

Quote:

this is much later than i expected!

i heard something about end of this year or beginning of next year. but i wouldn't mind if merc is unhasty with this, no need for another "look, we're in F1"-nose if you ask me.

Quote:

this is much later than i expected!

i heard something about end of this year or beginning of next year. but i wouldn't mind if merc is unhasty with this, no need for another "look, we're in F1"-nose if you ask me.

Well, lets clear up some things...

The 65 engine, when first made, produced "over 700bhp and 1200Nm", it had to be restricted, BUT AMG has said that the 65 models will have this much power one day....

Since I know this road because I have been down it so many times, I'll go down there again. The performance of the SL65 although quick is by nowhere near that of the SLR. Seriously, its a joke. The SLR is a much much quicker and faster car, and its handling, for a Mercedes, in a league of its own compared to the SL65.

0-60
    SLR: 3.8 SL65: 4.2

0-100mph
    SLR: 7.6 SL65: 9

0-150mph
    SLR: 16 SL65: 19.8

0-186mph
    SLR: 30.6 SL65: 40-45

top speeds...
    SLR: 208mph all day SL65: 186mph tops (restricted)

How on Earth are these cars anywhere near similar??? It may be more comfortable than the SLR, have that roof and more torque, but it weighs 2100+kgs!!! How can something this heavy with 1000nm, RWD, put the power down safely??? In the SLR you can do 200mph easily, safely and with much more control, doing 180mph+ in a 2.2 ton car hurtling down the Autobahn is a scary thought!

Remember RC's E55 that had traction problems with 700NM? Well, just amplify that effect for this car. THE ONLY road you can drive this on is Nardo! You guys are absolutely amazing, you are very unfair to the SLR, many times I have read such comments and have not said anything but it has to be said.

SL65 may be an amazing car but comparing it to the SLR is like saying the 99Turbo is better than the CGT, coz performance is nearly the same and its cheaper, yeah right.

Well, lets clear up some things...

The 65 engine, when first made, produced "over 700bhp and 1200Nm", it had to be restricted, BUT AMG has said that the 65 models will have this much power one day....

Since I know this road because I have been down it so many times, I'll go down there again. The performance of the SL65 although quick is by nowhere near that of the SLR. Seriously, its a joke. The SLR is a much much quicker and faster car, and its handling, for a Mercedes, in a league of its own compared to the SL65.

0-60
    SLR: 3.8 SL65: 4.2

0-100mph
    SLR: 7.6 SL65: 9

0-150mph
    SLR: 16 SL65: 19.8

0-186mph
    SLR: 30.6 SL65: 40-45

top speeds...
    SLR: 208mph all day SL65: 186mph tops (restricted)

How on Earth are these cars anywhere near similar??? It may be more comfortable than the SLR, have that roof and more torque, but it weighs 2100+kgs!!! How can something this heavy with 1000nm, RWD, put the power down safely??? In the SLR you can do 200mph easily, safely and with much more control, doing 180mph+ in a 2.2 ton car hurtling down the Autobahn is a scary thought!

Remember RC's E55 that had traction problems with 700NM? Well, just amplify that effect for this car. THE ONLY road you can drive this on is Nardo! You guys are absolutely amazing, you are very unfair to the SLR, many times I have read such comments and have not said anything but it has to be said.

SL65 may be an amazing car but comparing it to the SLR is like saying the 99Turbo is better than the CGT, coz performance is nearly the same and its cheaper, yeah right.

Quote:

not at all. IMO the CGT isn't at all about straight line peformance -- it's the ultimate sports car which can even be driven daily (well, ok, this clutch... ).

but what's so special about the SLR then? despite the hefty price tag, the mclaren badge and the batmobile look, it's neither a sports car nor a perfect GT -- at least that it the conclusion i've got after reading a lot of magazine reports and road tests.

and in the end it's all about selling cars, and the target audience for these two cars is quite similar IMO.

if i would be a merc lover with lots of money, i'd decide for the SL 65 AMG. and i would have no problem driving 180+ MPH with it. IMO the experience and sense of responsibility of the driver and the road condition are a lot more important than 300kg or 400kg more or less weight.

Quote:

not at all. IMO the CGT isn't at all about straight line peformance -- it's the ultimate sports car which can even be driven daily (well, ok, this clutch... ).

but what's so special about the SLR then? despite the hefty price tag, the mclaren badge and the batmobile look, it's neither a sports car nor a perfect GT -- at least that it the conclusion i've got after reading a lot of magazine reports and road tests.

and in the end it's all about selling cars, and the target audience for these two cars is quite similar IMO.

if i would be a merc lover with lots of money, i'd decide for the SL 65 AMG. and i would have no problem driving 180+ MPH with it. IMO the experience and sense of responsibility of the driver and the road condition are a lot more important than 300kg or 400kg more or less weight.

SLR: "The fastest Mercedes on sale today"

If thats not enough marketing I don't know what is.

SLR: "The fastest Mercedes on sale today"

If thats not enough marketing I don't know what is.

In Antwort auf:
    zzboba said:

Absolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600, but if it's sheer power you are looking for and you are a Merc lover (and if it's a GT you are looking for of course), the SL65 definitely is the car you should go for. And concerning that new Formula-One-inspired-nose-looks of DC: I wouldn't wonder if Merc is unhasty with donating the SL a nose operation but I really wouldn't be at all surprised if they decide to remove the chubby F1-style nose from cars like the SLR and the SLK!
    (just kidding)

In Antwort auf:
    zzboba said:

Absolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600, but if it's sheer power you are looking for and you are a Merc lover (and if it's a GT you are looking for of course), the SL65 definitely is the car you should go for. And concerning that new Formula-One-inspired-nose-looks of DC: I wouldn't wonder if Merc is unhasty with donating the SL a nose operation but I really wouldn't be at all surprised if they decide to remove the chubby F1-style nose from cars like the SLR and the SLK!
    (just kidding)

Quote:
    rossi said:iAbsolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600

And to make matter worse it seems McLaren and DC want to create a new brand after their joint venture with the SLR, and build now a car placed (according to them) between the SLR and the SL

Quote:
    rossi said:iAbsolutely right! The SLR is neither fish nor flesh and that's it's problem. Presenting a car like the SL65 might be questionable when you already got cars like the SL55 and SL600

And to make matter worse it seems McLaren and DC want to create a new brand after their joint venture with the SLR, and build now a car placed (according to them) between the SLR and the SL

What is your best estimate as to what this car will cost?

Quote:

official price in germany is EUR 201,840.00

i have no idea if sales tax is included or not though.

Quote:

official price in germany is EUR 201,840.00

i have no idea if sales tax is included or not though.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

Many have said MBZ is on a hellbent quest to answer a question no one really asked : offering multiple numbers of powerful cars in it's own upper end lineup- each threatening sales from the other with much performance overlapping.
    ( SL55/SL600/SL65/CL55/CL600/CL65/S55/S600/S65 and all these are just 12-18months from their new or updated models ) Then there's the SLR/Maybach/rumored McLaren badged " tweener " car. What are their marketing people smoking ? Talk about brand confusion to the end buyer.
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.
    It's almost like an overreaction to their failings after buying a low dollar company like Chrysler.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

Many have said MBZ is on a hellbent quest to answer a question no one really asked : offering multiple numbers of powerful cars in it's own upper end lineup- each threatening sales from the other with much performance overlapping.
    ( SL55/SL600/SL65/CL55/CL600/CL65/S55/S600/S65 and all these are just 12-18months from their new or updated models ) Then there's the SLR/Maybach/rumored McLaren badged " tweener " car. What are their marketing people smoking ? Talk about brand confusion to the end buyer.
    BMW and Audi should just sit back and watch this cannabilsm runs its natural course.
    It's almost like an overreaction to their failings after buying a low dollar company like Chrysler.

You wish...

The 65 series cars have exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations, AMG has said it may not be able to deliver and fulfil all 65 orders. The SLR as you all know is sold out for another 2 years, with orders now being given 2006/7 build/delivery. And the Maybach has outsold the RR Phantom 2:1 600 vs 300 cars sold.

BMW/Audi are quaking in their boots, you'd better believe it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764085 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436355 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260974 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257908 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82608 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876724 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808745 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM