Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

The 720 we drove was 303k but options are Ferrari pricings - crazy - but I agree with RC - you can order a base 720S and have a lot of car and goodies for the base price - lots of carbon and colors are nice but not really necessary

BjoernB:

The 720 we drove was 303k but options are Ferrari pricings - crazy - but I agree with RC - you can order a base 720S and have a lot of car and goodies for the base price - lots of carbon and colors are nice but not really necessary

Smiley I was seriously thinking about ordering one at some point, especially since delivery time would be over a year anyway but I would need to buy it (lease offers are not good right now) and the car just isn't special enough for that (sorry to say that). I played various games in my mind (Huracan Performante, 720S, even the 488GTB) but in the end, I ended up again with...my current R8. Smiley Nothing really impressed me right now, so I wait. My R8 lease runs out in three years, enough time to know what I want (next). I still have the 960 on my radar...but I would consider McLaren as well of course.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

McLaren F1 Owners Tour 2017...

Gallery Link: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/mclaren-f1-owners-tour-2017-ph-photo-gallery/36858

Such a sick design. It's a shame no one has been able to re-create that deep hood/windscreen line that in turn creates the aggressive fenders. Must be a safety regulation or something.

RC:
    ....the car just isn't special enough for that (sorry to say that).....

I cant follow you here. I think this is probably the "most special" Sports car you can buy for 245.000,- € right now. I would not ever blink on an 488 or a GT2RS. Just open the door and see how this car opens. The chassis is wide open and has a real sports car chassis with a very modern architecture. Personally I think it is ultra adorable.

+1 wink

Lars997:
    RC:
    ....the car just isn't special enough for that (sorry to say that).....

I cant follow you here. I think this is probably the "most special" Sports car you can buy for 245.000,- € right now. I would not ever blink on an 488 or a GT2RS. Just open the door and see how this car opens. The chassis is wide open and has a real sports car chassis with a very modern architecture. Personally I think it is ultra adorable.

You clearly don't know what will follow the 720S...this is only the prelude... Smiley Smiley In a couple of years, the value of this car will tank (similar to 12C and 650), this is what I meant about "not special enough". If I buy a car, it needs to be either super cheap (in comparison to the performance) or keep a pretty good value if I have to pay half a fortune for it.

488 is a bit slower for similar money but it sounds much better and offers that special Ferrari interior feel they are so famous for. Also, compare the turbo lag of the 488 with the 720S...ouch, I expected more from Ferrari (I haven't driven the 720S yet but someone who owns a 488 and he was pretty shocked how bad the 720S was in comparison to the 488).

GT2RS? Not interested at all, also way too expensive vs. the 720S. If Porsche would not limit this car, I'm not even sure demand would be that high. Smiley

If I had 250k right now to spend, I would take the Huracan Performante without even thinking about it. Still not a fan of that huge wing but everything else is exactly how I would want it. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Smaller sized wing from the factory that's been taken from a calf broken heart

BiTurbo:

Smaller sized wing from the factory that's been taken from a calf broken heart

Smiley Smiley

Smaller wing looks better but I guess it wasn't possible with that aerodynamics tech they used. Smiley

--

that's the aero kit (accessories, not factory fit, I think) that pre dated ALA and Performante

sfo:

that's the aero kit (accessories, not factory fit, I think) that pre dated ALA and Performante

I know...this was just about that humongous wing with ALA...not pretty, even if it is borderline acceptable. The aero kit wing or something in a similar size would look better. I cannot imagine how the ALA wing will look on that rumored Performante Spyder. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    I cannot imagine how the ALA wing will look on that rumored Performante Spyder. Smiley Smiley

looked the same when I saw it (from about 10 metres) in the finishing area of the factory in April 2017

sfo:
    RC:
    I cannot imagine how the ALA wing will look on that rumored Performante Spyder. Smiley Smiley

looked the same when I saw it (from about 10 metres) in the finishing area of the factory in April 2017

I know it looks the same but the whole "picture" of the Spyder with that humongous wing... Smiley

--

Henry Catchpole in a 570S for Carfection 'The Home Run' (not been posted before I guess): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYo5vFzVjiQ

Cool. I think the 570GT is their best design. Think I prefer it over the 720.

And it begins angry

LOL. What happened to the fuel lid? Fuel lid ejector button?

Parking lot in the green. angrysmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

This was a type of care show in Knokke Belgium. This McLaren (from the UK) was there for test drives. Apparently during a test drive control over the car was lost; resulting in the crash!

new Subaru Forester ?  

In the 9s on Pzeros. Pretty nuts. 2.5s 0-60, 5.2s 0-100 mph. That's pretty impressive for a RWD car.

best sportscar you can buy currently for sure  !

BjoernB:

best sportscar you can buy currently for sure  !

Best isn't always fastest. If it would be best, I would probably have it. Smiley Smiley

Luckily for us, there is no best sportscar. There is one of the best sportscars and the 720S certainly makes this list.

--

for me it is - but I also don't have it indecision I think one can only judge living with a car so my drive is a bit biased by the experience on the autobahn with it - but comparing it with the Huracan or 488 I drove it surely wins hands down not only for the pure numbers.

BjoernB:

for me it is - but I also don't have it indecision I think one can only judge living with a car so my drive is a bit biased by the experience on the autobahn with it - but comparing it with the Huracan or 488 I drove it surely wins hands down not only for the pure numbers.

Maybe you have different priorities... Smiley Or you are easily impressed by the power and power feel (I remember how I felt when I drove my 991.1 Turbo S for the first time after a longer time of abstinence from a higher performance turbo charged car). The Ferrari has a very smooth turbo boost buildup, not as brutal as the 720S. Soundwise, the Huracan will always win but apparently this is not a priority for you. 

My personal ranking (of fun, not performance only) would be:

1. Huracan Performante

2. Ferrari 488 GTB

3. Aventador SV ("old" one, new one not available yet)...this would be a car I would love to own next to a Huracan (no kidding)

4. Huracan/R8 V10 Plus

5. 675LT (one friend had one but got back problems because of the car...I don't believe a word he is saying Smiley...I loved the chassis setup and the overall driving feel)

6. 720 S (haven't driven one but people I talked to who drove it told me that it is basically a 650S with more power, a nicer interior, worse sound and better brakes).

7. 991.2 GT2 RS

8. Mercedes AMG GT R

9. Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS

10. Porsche 991.2 GT3

--

just had chance sitting in performante for 5min drive.... hate it.... its only made for track purpose.....  sound is epic, but that's it....  faster? no.....  more like a show piece. 

each person has its own agenda when buying these super series.... performante only serve track purpose, so if you buy one of these, u better keep it on the track else you would break ur neck or spin soon or later.  faster?  no, not at all.....    GT2RS (take away the sound) would do the same job as this car.   

most of us buy these super series does 30-40% of track time or less.  just get a Gt3RS or GT2RS.... a much better choice to my view.

RC:
    BjoernB:

Maybe you have different priorities... Smiley Or you are easily impressed by the power and power feel (I remember how I felt when I drove my 991.1 Turbo S for the first time after a longer time of abstinence from a higher performance turbo charged car). The Ferrari has a very smooth turbo boost buildup, not as brutal as the 720S. Soundwise, the Huracan will always win but apparently this is not a priority for you. 

1. Huracan Performante

2. Ferrari 488 GTB

3. Aventador SV ("old" one, new one not available yet)...this would be a car I would love to own next to a Huracan (no kidding)

4. Huracan/R8 V10 Plus

5. 675LT (one friend had one but got back problems because of the car...I don't believe a word he is saying Smiley...I loved the chassis setup and the overall driving feel)

6. 720 S (haven't driven one but people I talked to who drove it told me that it is basically a 650S with more power, a nicer interior, worse sound and better brakes).

7. 991.2 GT2 RS

8. Mercedes AMG GT R

9. Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS

10. Porsche 991.2 GT3

If I would judge you the same way you judge me looking at the priorities on yr list I would say what all you seek for is getting noticed from people with either sound or brand name - as flashy as possible. Smiley (Btw : the 675 bucket seats are as good as the 997RS buckets and more comfi than any Lambo seat)

However, good that there are different opinions out there and not just 1-2 choices

huangester:

just had chance sitting in performante for 5min drive.... hate it.... its only made for track purpose.....  sound is epic, but that's it....  faster? no.....  more like a show piece. 

each person has its own agenda when buying these super series.... performante only serve track purpose, so if you buy one of these, u better keep it on the track else you would break ur neck or spin soon or later.  faster?  no, not at all.....    GT2RS (take away the sound) would do the same job as this car.   

most of us buy these super series does 30-40% of track time or less.  just get a Gt3RS or GT2RS.... a much better choice to my view.

Are you serious? This is a very good road car as far as I heard and actually not that suitable for serious track racing because it lacks a very important feature: No 4/6 point harness available for the Performante. Yet.

Yes, everyone has his own preferences when it comes to cars but mine is emotions. That epic sound gives me all I need and combined with everything else, it is just perfect. That forged carbon interior is just...divine.

--

BjoernB:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

1. Huracan Performante

2. Ferrari 488 GTB

4. Huracan/R8 V10 Plus

7. 991.2 GT2 RS

8. Mercedes AMG GT R

9. Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS

10. Porsche 991.2 GT3

If I would judge you the same way you judge me looking at the priorities on yr list I would say what all you seek for is getting noticed from people with either sound or brand name - as flashy as possibleSmiley (Btw : the 675 bucket seats are as good as the 997RS buckets and more comfi than any Lambo seat)

However, good that there are different opinions out there and not just 1-2 choices

I guess you never met me... Smiley Smiley I am the contrary of flashy but yes, I stick out of the ordinary because I am always dressed casual and not necessarily smart casual. Smiley

The first cars in the list are emotional rollercoasters but the further you go down that list, the more it gets boring. This doesn't mean a 991.2 GT3 is boring but I couldn't post a 100 cars list here, could I?! Smiley

Btw: I didn't judge you at all, I just think you have different priorities and emotions isn't clearly one of them. Unless of course you enjoy being the fastest on the Autobahn. Oh...in Germany you certainly attract more attention (speaking of flashy) with a McLaren because ordinary people don't have a clue about prices and think that a McLaren costs 300-500k or so. Smiley

--

McLaren confirms its most track-concentrated road car yet

McLaren, the British creator of luxury sports and super cars, has confirmed that the next model to be introduced under its Track22 business plan will be an addition to the Ultimate Series. Its mission is to be the most extreme, track-concentrated road car McLaren has yet designed.

To be publicly revealed in the first quarter of 2018, it will be delivered ahead of a second future Ultimate Series model codenamed BP23 which aims to be the world’s first Hyper-GT. As members of the McLaren Ultimate Series, both will be produced in very limited numbers and all examples are already assigned. Ultimate Series models are positioned above McLaren’s core Super Series and have a distinct focus. Previous examples of the Series include the McLaren P1™ and McLaren P1™ GTR.

This next model to join the Ultimate Series will be the ultimate track car but will be road legal. Daily usability is being sacrificed to give the most intensive driver experience around a circuit. Its design, described as brutal, will be the purest expression yet of the company’s ‘form follows function’ philosophy.

More details, including the car’s name, will be revealed before the end of this year.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM