Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

I think RC has hit the nail on the head. Movies and actors have become one sided politically and are damaging both scripts and box office. A 5% decline is all it takes to upset an industry. Any industry. Alienate more than half your audience and it should come as no surprise when industry stocks and attendance nosedive. 

I don't see a problem. Comic movies that are very diversified are the biggest movies on the planet. There is just a lot of competition from other sources of digital entertainment and going to the movies is expensive.

noone1:

I don't see a problem. Comic movies that are very diversified are the biggest movies on the planet. There is just a lot of competition from other sources of digital entertainment and going to the movies is expensive.

My kids (and their friends) are typical customers and they do not really like the new stuff, especially compared to the older movies and tv shows. Have you actually noticed that 90% of the movies and tv shows are pure crap lately? I won't even start with that reality show crap, trash. Some tv shows start quite nicely and with the second season, they change the concept and/or add/remove actors and the whole thing goes down the drain.

Marvel...DC...Star Wars...Star Trek...these are franchises which are supposed to entertain, to make people feel better and to distract from daily life and the bad things in it. What do these idiots of producers and directors do? They actually add daily life issues/problems to these movies and shows. Idiots! Nobody wants that. This is supposed to be SciFi and Fantasy, not your daily life reality show.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

You're wrong and the box office says outside. You really want to argue Disney is doing it wrong with star wars and marvel? Their results say otherwise.

Most  cableTV sucks, but premium TV is excellent and the ratings back that up. HBO, Netflix, Showtime... All have excellent original content. So does SyFy.

noone1:

You're wrong and the box office says outside. You really want to argue Disney is doing it wrong with star wars and marvel? Their results say otherwise.

Viewers have no choice...Star Wars and Marvel franchise have a very strong fanbase.

Most  cableTV sucks, but premium TV is excellent and the ratings back that up. HBO, Netflix, Showtime... All have excellent original content. So does SyFy.

Yes and no: Haven't seen anything good from SyFy lately. Netflix? Their Marvel shows are too "dark" and almost boring. HBO and Showtime? Well, if you show boobs and naked skin, you surely have a success. Smiley Smiley It is sometimes funny to see rated R movies from the US running from age 12 in Germany. Or movies with an adult rating in Germany running PG13 in the US. The difference? In the US, everything related to sex is for adults mostly and in Germany, everything related to violence is for adults only. Smiley Quite interesting cultural difference.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The Expanse is quite good. It's on Syfy. Not sure what else currently, but I'd say if a network has one or two really good shows per year, that's not bad. We pay for HBO year-round even though we probably only watch a couple shows per year. Maybe if your'e a huge couch potato that watches TV hours and hours per day it could be an issue, but if you like to watch maybe a 2-3 hours of high-quality programming each week, I'd say there is plenty out there.

So current series that are popular and generally good:

SyFy: The Expanse
    HBO: GoT, Westworld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Silicon Valley
    Starz: American Gods, Ash vs Evil Dead
    Showtime: Twin Peaks, Shameless
    Netflix: Comic shows, Wet Hot American Summer, Stranger Things, Narcos

I mean, there is plenty of good programming out there. Not saying you'll like it all, but there is more than enough for it to be worth a few dollars per month.

So this thread is now about TV-series and the Panamera Turbo S thread is about Chinese EVs? smiley

lukestern:

So this thread is now about TV-series and the Panamera Turbo S thread is about Chinese EVs? smiley

That's the norm!! Smiley

--

IMG_4989.JPGDang. Is this the wrong thread?😁 

Did I mention my awesome cross country drive in a Budget rent a truck?  Portland is not too far from Vancouver. (Lol not the Washington one). 

MKSGR:
    noone1:

Well, Germany doesn't need the same infrastructure as the United States. Germany is tiny. The amount of open land in Europe is vast. If they need infrastructure, they can build it. Plenty of room to build truck stops in Germany.

And who said anything about Europe anyway? You guys don't even think you can use Tesla's in Germany lol. We don't have these worries in America.

Electric trucks in the USA is even more unlikely than in Europe. You don't believe in this nonsense, do you? In cities yes. Outside of cities - never ever for the next 100 years.

....And the same applies to Africa (and other 3rd world places) where there isn't even good coverage for petrol/gas..let alone electricity.

Man, who ever said EV trucks are going to populate the Earth a week from next Tuesday?

Of course Africa isn't going to have electric semi trucks! What's next, you drop the bombshell that Africa won't have fiber direct to homes any time soon and so we shouldn't expect it in Chicago? If I judged the likelihood of technology based on whether Africa would have it, we'd all be living like it is in Africa.

Not my point.

The idea that all cars will be ELV's in the near future is purely fantasy/politics. That is not to say that they wont have a market share, and in some places they may even have the largest market share, but there will be many other places where they will have an insignificant market share....at least for the foreseeable future.

I thought that was obvious. It will take probably 15-20 years for most new cars in the western world and wealthy asian countries to go EV. Who knows about the RoW. The RoW probably rides more bikes and scooters than cars anyway.

noone1:

The RoW probably rides more bikes and scooters than cars anyway.

Not so much in Africa. 

Lots of 4x4 's, Vans and Trucks. Long distances, bad roads, very long distances between fueling stations, etc, etc.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

I prefer G-class full electric tho.      kreiselelectric.com

I'd buy a G class if it was an EV. Cool that someone is doing it, but I think I'd wait for the official EV model.

noone1:

The Expanse is quite good. It's on Syfy. Not sure what else currently, but I'd say if a network has one or two really good shows per year, that's not bad. We pay for HBO year-round even though we probably only watch a couple shows per year. Maybe if your'e a huge couch potato that watches TV hours and hours per day it could be an issue, but if you like to watch maybe a 2-3 hours of high-quality programming each week, I'd say there is plenty out there.

So current series that are popular and generally good:

SyFy: The Expanse

Watched the first two episodes, didn't like it and I am a big SciFi fan.

HBO: GoT, Westworld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Silicon Valley

Not a fan of GoT, believe it or not. Westworld is nice but again, not really my cup of tea. Curb Your Enthusiasm is hilarious, I love Larry David, can't wait for the new season. Silicon Valley? Not my cup of tea.

Starz: American Gods, Ash vs Evil Dead

American Gods has an interesting concept but I think it is only successful because of the sex stuff. Smiley Ash vs. Evil Dead is fun, I like it a lot.

Showtime: Twin Peaks, Shameless

Not interested.

Netflix: Comic shows, Wet Hot American Summer, Stranger Things, Narcos

Not really interested in Netflix program...disappointed and I watched first episodes of almost all their hit shows.

I mean, there is plenty of good programming out there. Not saying you'll like it all, but there is more than enough for it to be worth a few dollars per month.

Yes, there is good programming but I find it somewhere else.

I like Shooter, good action tv show. I like Preacher, very weird and fun (but a bit violent). Also a fan of Lucifer, it is fun (and my kids love it too Smiley). Big Bang Theory (family favorite), Mom (me and my wife love it), Veep (fun, reminds me of the British tv show Yes, Minister, also a favorite). Rosewood, our family favorite (we watched it always with the kids) has been cancelled unfortunately. My wife's favorite shows were Castle and The Mentalist but they already ended and she hasn't found another favorite crime show since. Also enjoyed the first season of Into the Badlands but the second season isn't even half as good. Me and the kids are also awaiting the new comedy show The Orville, a SciFi show mockery of Star Trek and Co. Should be fun.

--

Nothing new, it is expected. Tesla have yet to beat their production ramp up time ever. Not on the Roadster, not on the Model S, not on the Model X, why should things be different for Model 3?

--

They remind me those people who never finish their task. Instead they go to another project.

Soon they forget about the Model 3 and they focus on their Truck. Etc...

Whoopsy:

Nothing new, it is expected. Tesla have yet to beat their production ramp up time ever. Not on the Roadster, not on the Model S, not on the Model X, why should things be different for Model 3?

Once the major players (VW Group, etc.) get seriously into the ELV game, game over for Tesla. Sorry to say that. Unless of course these major players mess up, this would be very unfortunate.

--

I don't get why you keep saying that.

Porsche is planning to put in the market a car in 2020 to compete against a car from Tesla which already has been around for 5 years.

I have little doubt when these major players join the ELV market they are gonna do it right and probably represent a huge competition for Tesla. However what I'm trying to say is that the early bird catches the worm and Tesla has the experiencie, know-how and a very innovative CEO (come on, he's even linked with the aerospacial industry).

I wouldn't understimate Tesla nor other disruptive players that might appear (let's say Google or Apple). We've seen that before with the brick&mortar companies in the new digital ecosystem. Tradition means nothing here.

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Once the major players (VW Group, etc.) get seriously into the ELV game, game over for Tesla. Sorry to say that. Unless of course these major players mess up, this would be very unfortunate.

You honestly sound like a parrot when you repeat this "game over" thing Smiley. Nobody knows how the market will develop the coming years and I agree that Tesla probably won't dominate, but at the same time I don't see why it will be game over. They will be one of many players in the EV market with their minimalistic interiors and advanced tech that will be an appealing proposition for many customers looking for a new daily driver. The market share between the worlds automakers will probably change a lot in 10 years from now compared to how it has been over the past 10 years.

Right now however, there is unfortunately no EV-competition to Tesla in the coming 3 years or so. And the "Tesla killers" that has been announced from the Germans, that will be in hands of customers in 2020, is by no means anything extra ordinary compared with what Tesla put to market in 2012 (in terms of range, charging speeds, etc). In 2020 Tesla will probably have updated both Model X/S with new interiors, better range, quicker charging, lot's of more superchargers, lower price points and in general better specs and quality. 

And regarding the infrastructure, there is still no signs that any of the German manufacturers will have something that does compete with Tesla Superchargers from a convenience perspective. Porsche building chargers at Dealerships is just plain dumb and hopefully just a showcase of the prototype 800v chargers. Dealership locations are most often near larger cities and those places are seldom the places where it is convenient to stop-over and charge at high DC-speeds while on a longer road trips.

At the end of the day I don't care who will provide the best EV proposition in 2021 or so. I'll buy the car best for my needs and that does appeal to me most independent if it will be a Tesla, Porsche or something else.

IMO Tesla isn't going to get destroyed in sales or product, it will just see its margins crushed to much lower levels of profitability than hoped for due to competition. The knock on effect of this won't be that it disrupts the majors, but rather that it disrupts their profit margins.

In summary, the entire auto industry makes less money, but the industry itself isn't disrupted.

Tesla will be done only if their investors says it’s game over. And that ain’t happening anytime soon.

This week GM and Ford are announcing they are going big in EV and will drop some R&D for normal cars. Germans have a 7 year deficit on Tesla right now.

SciFrog:

Tesla will be done only if their investors says it’s game over. And that ain’t happening anytime soon.

This week GM and Ford are announcing they are going big in EV and will drop some R&D for normal cars. Germans have a 7 year deficit on Tesla right now.

That's not sound logic.

It would be like saying Apple was years behind Imagination Tech just because they didn't do GPUs in-house. In reality, they created competitive products very quickly because the reality is that technology is not created in vacuum.

You don't need to sell technology to have it. The Germans most definitely have all the technology they need to compete, but simply aren't selling it. It's not a 7 year deficit whatsoever. Furthermore, cars have long shelf life and don't have product launches that align. Unlike Apple and Samsung which do new phones every year, cars don't get massive improvements for 5+ years. Tesla will not be unique in this.

more competition will make tesla less relevant than the stock market price indicates today - I think it will tank dramatically at one time

At the end of the day EV, hybrid or ICE they are all cars, and the bottom line is Germans make better premium cars that handle better, have better interiors, etc and Japanese and Koreans make better lower end cars that offer better value. Tesla cannot compete with that. Won't even go into EV sportcars because then its not even funny.

The only reason they can compete now is because EV has such distinct advantages and disadvantages to ICE that it is different enough to compete on a separate market, but once that is out of the equation and the big makers with their know-how on cars, manufacture infrastructure and R&D resources get in the EV, its game over. EV is not a secret science that only Tesla has a patent on, any early to market advantage by a small manufacturer can disappear in just a few short years when the big makers decide to play hard, kind of like when Porsche decided to go into LeMans and lok how long it took them with the hybrid tech.

Tesla will be at best relegated to the domestic american market, just like other american manufacturers with their handling and interiors, especially in the premium segment that Tesla competes in... seen any american cars in that segment sell much?  Question is, will Tesla be able to sell enough to just survive in the domestic market or not.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM