Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

R8 test in EVO

Next month EVO's R8 test...

0-100mph: 10.4s

Bedford West Circuit: 1.22,1min

For comparison...
    F430F1 1.24,2min
    Porsche 997 Turbo 1.23,55min
    Porsche 997 GT3 1.23,1min
    Ferrari 599GTB 1.23,1min
    Lamborghini Gallardo(520hp) 1.22,8min

Re: R8 test in EVO

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Next month EVO's R8 test...

0-100mph: 10.4s

Bedford West Circuit: 1.22,1min

For comparison...
    F430F1 1.24,2min
    Porsche 997 Turbo 1.23,55min
    Porsche 997 GT3 1.23,1min
    Ferrari 599GTB 1.23,1min
    Lamborghini Gallardo(520hp) 1.22,8min

Seems strange that it could be the slowest from 0-100mph, yet the fastest on that track (with street tires compared to the track tires on some of those other cars)...

Tires on R8 were new P Zero Hero's(the same one as on 599GTB).

Point is truly amazing chassis setup and traction on R8.
    According to EVO the best chassis on current sportscars is the one on Gallardo or R8.

why would it outperform the Gallardo...

faster than a G or a gt3 on a track? what is going on?

This results really surprise me.

Are they real?

Is that chassis so well done that can compensate the weigth and power difference?

If like this.....R8 has to be seriously considered

maybe a change in track setup? different drivers? Its highly unlikely that a R8 would keep up with an 2006+ Gallardo, especially considering that the Gallardo was on Corsas.

Unlikely results. One thing I always hate is trying to compare track times that are not same day/same tires/same driver. Just as an example, at my home track at Laguna Seca, lap times for the same car are 3 sec faster this year than last because of repaving.

Gary

Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Unlikely results. One thing I always hate is trying to compare track times that are not same day/same tires/same driver. Just as an example, at my home track at Laguna Seca, lap times for the same car are 3 sec faster this year than last because of repaving.

Gary

Such is life! Laptimes are most definately not a science...

Kreso - the track time is amazing. Faster than all the big boys! unexpected. If true, then the R8 is a real status quo breaker. I can see why some of our Ferrari/Lambo friends are kind of pissed off.

Kreso,

Thanks for the post. Do you happen to know the Z06 on that track ?

Ron,

Wait for few hours to check it out(Z06)...

Regarding R8 track time there is two possibilities:
    -it is a typo in EVO(very unlikely!)
    -R8 has the best chassic of all current sportscars

Just wait for next month Sport Auto for more R8 deliveries!
    Next issue will feature R8 Supertest with some amazing results...

R8 achived 1.12,7min on Hockenheim(and it is pretty unclear on which tires since I know form my "deep throat" that difference between Pirelli Corsa's and Hero's in Hockenheim is only 0.1s for R8!) with Corsa tires and 1.12,8min on Pirelli P Zero Hero tires so, we know few facts then:

-R8 is on street tires faster then 997 Turbo(1.13,7min on Michelin PS2 N1)
    -R8 is in all corners around Hockenheim as fast as Gallardo SL and the same time faster in almost all corners then 997 Turbo(with Michelin Cup's!), only on straight line Gallardo SL and 997 Turbo are faster.

Most important thing-BOTH Sport Auto and EVO are raving about R8. The only other cars that received such a praises recently is Gallardo SL...

For me conclusion is pretty clear!

Quote:
    dhayek said:

Maybe it's the Heros.....

Pirelli has revealed the new "P Zero the Hero"

In the centenary of the firm's involvement in motorsport, the most technologically advanced product to come out of Pirelli research, a revolution for the tire industry, is about to be launched. Making its worldwide premier on the track in Dubai , with a brand new tread pattern, futuristic compounds and an innovative structure, the new product, the fruit of 24 months of development and testing, is protected by five patents.

With "P ZERO THE HERO" Pirelli has consolidated its leadership in the high-end market: the new tire has already been chosen and homologated by manufacturers for the most recent and highest performance GT cars. Designed to manage the power of the hottest and most extreme cars, P Zero the Hero guarantees optimum performance for the most demanding motorists.

The return of the Pirelli wheel. The birth of the exclusive P Zero Club. Pirelli introduces to the global market P Zero the Hero, the new ultra-high performance tire developed for supercars and directly derived from the experience the firm has accumulated in a hundred years of competition (in fact, 2007 marks Pirelli's motorsport centenary). P Zero the Hero represents the most technologically advanced product to come out of Pirelli's research, a revolution for the tire industry, and offers the most demanding motorists unprecedented performance in all areas: sports handling, comfort and safety.

5 PATENTS FOR A REVOLUTIONARY PRODUCT. The latest addition to the P Zero collection, Pirelli's high-end market leading range that is celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2007, benefits from numerous innovative features developed by Pirelli and protected by five exclusive patents. The brand new tread pattern, the futuristic compounds and the innovative structure are the fruit of 24 months of development and testing and are already making P Zero the Hero the tire chosen by the manufacturers of the most sporting and extreme cars.

RECORD HOMOLOGATIONS. The new P Zero has obtained 15 homologations for use as original equipment on the most recent and most prestigious supercars. It is already being fitted to the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, the Lamborghini Murciélago and Gallardo, the Audi R8 and S8, the Aston Martin DB9, the Maserati Quattroporte, the Jaguar XK, the Mercedes AMG, and will shortly appear on the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione and the hottest Porsche and BMW models.

"P Zero the Hero", explains Francesco Gori, CEO of Pirelli Tire, "represents the state of the art of the P Zero Collection, the Pirelli UHP range leaders. The new tire has been designed and developed to control the ever more extreme performance of supercars and to offer ever higher levels of driving satisfaction and safety for the most demanding drivers."

SPORTS PERFORMANCE HAND-IN-HAND WITH COMFORT. The principal feature of P Zero the Hero is that it guarantees optimum performance in wet or dry conditions throughout the lifetime of the tire, while combining sports handling with comfort. In fact, the new P Zero boasts special nano-composites in the compounds of the tread and the bead (the element of the tire anchoring it to the wheel rim) that guarantee a comfortable ride together with sports performance. Thanks specifically to the tread compound, optimum performance is even provided during the first few kilometres when the tire is still cold.

EXTREME GRIP AND RESPECT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. The innovative tread pattern of the new Pirelli tire also permits the highest standards of grip in wet conditions and acoustic comfort to be enhanced, while the asymmetric DA.Co (Dynamic Asymmetric Contour) profile ensures even wear with a consistent footprint at all speeds. Moreover, P Zero the Hero has been designed with the utmost respect for the environment: the compounds used in fact contain no aromatic oils. Pirelli's decision anticipates by three full years the European directive regulating this issue, which only comes into effect in 2010, and goes beyond the most severe parameters in the highest performance (UHP) segment.

MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE THROUGHOUT THE LIFE OF THE TIRE. Thanks to the Hy.Co (Hybrid Cord) system, the carcass allows the deformation of the tire profile to be controlled through to the highest speeds (370 kph), increasing the durability of the tire, not simply in terms of outright mileage, but above all, in the consistency of performance throughout its life.

TOGETHER WITH P ZERO THE HERO COMES THE RETURN OF THE PIRELLI WHEEL. Pirelli is aiming to respond to the demands of the most sophisticated motorists, interested in both performance and styling, by reintroducing the Pirelli Wheel. Manufactured in ultralightweight aluminium alloy, the Pirelli 5P wheel features five spokes reproducing the firm's elongated P logo. The new Pirelli Wheel, produced in collaboration with Antera, a market leader in its sector, will also be available fitted with P Zero the Hero.

THE BIRTH OF THE EXCLUSIVE P ZERO CLUB. On the occasion of the launch of P Zero the Hero, Pirelli is also introducing another new initiative: the P Zero Club. When you purchase a new P Zero you become a member of the P Zero Club and obtain the P Zero Card that gives access to a world of Pirelli services and privileges. P Zero the Hero presents revolutionary compound and structural features developed out of Pirelli research. Extremely high sports performance, safety and comfort throughout the tire's lifetime. The revolutionary P Zero the Hero, the fruit of the continuous evolution of Pirelli technology and the experience garnered by Pirelli Competizioni on race tracks throughout the world, is the overtly sporting latest addition to the P Zero collection. In particular, P Zero the Hero offers exceptional performance across the board in terms of sports handling, comfort and safety thanks to multiple innovative features developed by Pirelli that relate to both the structure and the compounds and are covered by five patents. These characteristics make P Zero the Hero, developed in 24 months, the most suitable tire for supercars. The durability of the new tire is also exceptional (+25% with respects to the P Zero Rosso, which in turn is 5% better than its closest rivals), not only in terms of straightforward mileage but, above all, consistent performance throughout the lifetime of the tire. The five new Pirelli patents guaranteeing P Zero the Hero optimum performance levels throughout the life of the tire and exceptional handling in both wet and dry conditions are:

Hy.Co (Hybrid Cord). A system integrating the use of nylon and aramid cord in the construction of the carcass. Hy.Co permits control of the deformation of the tire profile, even at high speed, increasing the duration of the tire with uniform performance.

Nano.Co (Nanobase Compound). In the compound beneath the tread and the in the belts, special nano-composites are used that guarantee thermoplastic stability and protect the carcass from deterioration even under extreme stress conditions. In short, perfect synergy between ride comfort and sports handling is guaranteed.

DA.Co (Dynamic Asymmetric Contour). An exclusive asymmetric tread pattern that minimises dynamic deformation. DA.Co thus guarantees even wear with a uniform footprint at all speeds.
    PAS.Co (Permanent Aspect Sidewall Compound). A special sidewall compound that delays compound surface ageing, maintaining the original characteristics of the sidewall.

S-treme Tread Design. An innovative tread pattern that permits increased safety in wet conditions and improved acoustic comfort associated with exceptional handling performance. P Zero the Hero also features a special tread compound that ensures maximum performance, even during the first few miles when starting from cold.

P ZERO THE HERO HOMOLOGATIONS
    ALFA ROMEO Brera
    ASTON MARTIN DB9
    AUDI S8
    AUDI QUATTRO R8
    FERRARI 599 GTB Fiorano
    JAGUAR XK
    LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO
    LAMBORGHINI MURCIELAGO
    MASERATI QUATTROPORTE
    MERCEDES AMG S
    MERCEDES AMG CLK
    Coming soon:
    ALFA ROMEO 8C Competizione
    BMW
    PORSCHE

PIRELLI WHEEL. The return of the Pirelli Wheel, a synthesis of design and technology. The Pirelli Wheel is back on the market. The new ultralight alloy wheel features five elongated P-shape spokes. Appropriately designated the 5P, the wheel is produced in collaboration with Antera, one of the world's leading wheel manufacturers. As well as being shod with the new P Zero, the Pirelli wheel will be sold in combination with all the products in the P Zero Collection. Pirelli was already demonstrating an avant-garde approach to the design of alloy wheels in the late Seventies, when it launched the 8P rim that was adopted as original equipment on the Golf GTI.

Today, Pirelli is back with this new ultra light wheel featuring a modern design and manufactured exclusively in Italy . Produced in aluminium alloy with a Bright Silver finish, among its advantages are reduced weight and exceptional stability. Moreover, the new Pirelli Wheel will accommodate braking systems of all sizes and has been designed to permit the fitting of Run Flat tires. The Pirelli Wheel is immediately available in 17", 18" and 19" diameters and a variety of widths, a range destined to expand to take in larger sizes.

http://www.engineforall.com/en-index.php/2007/02/26/pirelli-pzero/

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Ron,

R8 achived 1.12,7min on Hockenheim(and it is pretty unclear on which tires since I know form my "deep throat" that difference between Pirelli Corsa's and Hero's in Hockenheim is only 0.1s for R8!) with Corsa tires and 1.12,8min on Pirelli P Zero Hero tires so, we know few facts then:

-R8 is in all corners around Hockenheim as fast as Gallardo SL and the same time faster in almost all corners then 997 Turbo(with Michelin Cup's!), only on straight line Gallardo SL and 997 Turbo are faster.

Most important thing-BOTH Sport Auto and EVO are raving about R8. The only other cars that received such a praises recently is Gallardo SL...

This is excellent news

impressive-awesome R8!

and this is V8....let's see what will do the R8 V10.....I can't believe it....

Recieved my copy of Evo on Friday, they compare it against the Prodrive AMV8, M6 and a powerkit C4s.

You have seen the times as posted by Kreso, but they also give a verdict and it comes out top. They rate it higher than the porker for looks, speed and driving dynamics!!! A very interesting read and verdict especially from EVO who have always been very big fans of the 911

Sorry but I dont have a scanner, so cant post!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Recieved my copy of Evo on Friday, they compare it against the Prodrive AMV8, M6 and a powerkit C4s.

You have seen the times as posted by Kreso, but they also give a verdict and it comes out top. They rate it higher than the porker for looks, speed and driving dynamics!!! A very interesting read and verdict especially from EVO who have always been very big fans of the 911

Sorry but I dont have a scanner, so cant post!

I am looking forward to receiving my copy !

Quote:
    Byron said:

Are they real?

Is that chassis so well done that can compensate the weigth and power difference?

I will have a chat with Richard M (who set these times) and see if there was anything strange in the R8s spec. They set the 1:23:10 for the 997 GT3 on the same track just a few months ago (similar conditions, the track has not been re-surfaced since) so the comparison is valid.

As some of you know, I occasionally work with EVO on these track tests and the differences between the drivers (John Barker, Richard Meaden or Jethro) is very little. They can all lap within tenths of each other in identical cars.

I trust the results which is why I went straight out an bought and R8 this weekend (gulp!!). I should be getting it in December this year.

Quote:
    SteveD said:
    Quote:
    Byron said:

Are they real?

I will have a chat with Richard M (who set these times) and see if there was anything strange in the R8s spec. They set the 1:23:10 for the 997 GT3 on the same track just a few months ago (similar conditions, the track has not been re-surfaced since) so the comparison is valid.

As some of you know, I occasionally work with EVO on these track tests and the differences between the drivers (John Barker, Richard Meaden or Jethro) is very little. They can all lap within tenths of each other in identical cars.

I trust the results which is why I went straight out an bought and R8 this weekend (gulp!!). I should be getting it in December this year.

Steve,
    Welcome to the club!
    So-you, Ron and me are getting R8... Article is simply awsome as is R8!

I am looking forward to your comparison between R8 and M3(e92)!

This only shows how track times can be deceiving.

J.Seven

Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

This is not first test where R8 is very fast and Porsche isnt invincible car.

I only dont understant how is faster than 520 hp Gallardo ? Isnt this almost same car except the engine ?

Nice to see that R8 is fast as it looks

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Quote:
    J.Seven said:

J.Seven

This is not first test where R8 is very fast and Porsche isnt invincible car.

I only dont understant how is faster than 520 hp Gallardo ? Isnt this almost same car except the engine ?

Nice to see that R8 is fast as it looks

I don't mind competition being faster than Porsche, before being Porsche lover , I'm a sport car lover so the faster cars we get, the more we can to choose which is better for us, but this Audi R8 result is not accurate.
    Lap times times is like Dinos, to much variable may show different results on the same car.

J.Seven

last test

Magazine Car&Driver

Audi R8 beats the 997 TT and AM V8 Vantage

1st Place
    Audi R8 - 220 Points
    Base Price - $109,720
    Tested Price - $120,970
    0-60 - 4.3
    0-100 - 10.7
    1/4 Mile 12.8 @ 112 mph
    5-60 - 4.8
    70-0 - 160 feet
    300 ft skidpad - .97
    Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:35.76/94.0 mph
    Lane change (mph) - 66.7
    Observed miles per gallon - 14

Highs
    Ballet-dancer balance and grace, eager responses, telepathic steering, internal combustion rarely sounds better.

Lows
    Proportions awkward from some angles, uncomfortable dead-pedal height, blind in the rear quarters.

Verdict
    Sports-car perfection from an unexpected source.

2nd Place
    Porsche 911 Turbo - 210 Points
    Base Price - $123,760
    Tested Price - $141,510
    0-60 - 3.8
    0-100 - 9.2
    1/4 Mile 12.2 @ 117 mph
    5-60 - 4.8
    70-0 - 159 feet
    300 ft skidpad - .98
    Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:38.53/91.3 mph
    Lane change (mph) - 65.0
    Observed miles per gallon - 14

Highs
    Omigawd thrust, never-fade brakes, limpet grip, gorgeous interior treatment, maximum Porsche mystique.

Lows
    Spooky at the limits of adhesion, high interior noise levels, Prussian ride quality, snoot scrapes on driveway ramps.

Verdict
    For 911 addicts who have no wish to be cured, Porsche Sturm und Drang just doesn't get any better than this.

3rd Place
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage - 191 Points
    Base Price - $117,150
    Tested Price - $129,110
    0-60 - 5.1
    0-100 - 12.3
    1/4 Mile 13.5 @ 106 mph
    5-60 - 5.8
    70-0 - 165 feet
    300 ft skidpad - .93
    Willow Springs International Raceway Lap Time - 1:40.73/89.4 mph
    Lane change (mph) - 64.1
    Observed miles per gallon - 13

Highs
    Appealingly edgy update on classic GT-coupe shape, smooth operator on rough payment, irresistible V8 growl.

Lows
    A bit too much body roll, nervous under hard braking, short on muscle among these heavy lifters.

Verdict
    A stylish GT sophisticate that's a little out of its depth among these thoroughbreds.

Andrea,
    Thanks a lot! I wanted to post this C&D test results myself but, you were faster!

So, sceptics... Were are you? We need and want you!

R8 is faster around Willow Spring almost 3s then 997 Turbo...

German Sport Auto, Uk's EVO and USA C&D reached same final conclusion-R8 is a masterpiece... Best chassis of all current sportscars on the market.

But, for some of you even this C&D test will prove to be not truthfull or legit...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Andrea,
    Thanks a lot! I wanted to post this C&D test results myself but, you were faster!

So, sceptics... Were are you? We need and want you!

R8 is faster around Willow Spring almost 3s then 997 Turbo...

German Sport Auto, Uk's EVO and USA C&D reached same final conclusion-R8 is a masterpiece... Best chassis of all current sportscars on the market.

But, for some of you even this C&D test will prove to be not truthfull or legit...

Yes Kreso,it's not easy to admit the audi r8 superiority...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Ron,

Thanks buddy .

Thank you Kresso for the valuable info. Very clarifying.

Still, I'd love to see such comparisons in the Ring. I ignore how is the circuit where they did.

In any case, very good news. I felt rather disappointed (and surprised) with the first figures of the R8, but this ones beguin to make sense....even I still need to "see" how a chassis can make such a difference with much more powerful engines.

The "R10" will be another story....

Quote:
    Byron said:
    Thank you Kresso for the valuable info. Very clarifying.

Still, I'd love to see such comparisons in the Ring. I ignore how is the circuit where they did.

In any case, very good news. I felt rather disappointed (and surprised) with the first figures of the R8, but this ones beguin to make sense....even I still need to "see" how a chassis can make such a difference with much more powerful engines.

The "R10" will be another story....

Question is how faster R10 will be, because it will be heavier and mybie handling wont be good as R8 has. Gallardo is on this track slower than R8 for almost a second..

All kudos to the R8. What a superb achievement. We enter a new sports car era - with a loud wake-up call for Porsche.

Quote:
    dhayek said:

AUDI knew I was #2 in the list so they didn't want to disappoint me .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    803013 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448492 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90014 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6496 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885564 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832944 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM